Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Doc Watson  (Read 1236 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Rest in Peace, Doc Watson
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Bluegrass and American music lost a true master today, and North Carolina lost a native son and a great ambassador as Arthel "Doc" Watson died at the age of 89. As much as I've loved Doc's music -- his playing, his singing -- to me he embodied my favorite state. I have a fond memory of driving down 64 between Lake Toxaway and Brevard this past fall with Doc Watson's music on my car stereo. It was a simple thing, but I won't ever forget it.

I love artists who carry torch for folk and Americana -- musical artists like Frank Fairfield, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Chatham County Line, and Doc Watson in his day. People who keep those roots strong so new generations can hear this music. Even the Avett Brothers, who I don't especially like as artists, do their part in keeping the tradition alive. I can hear Doc's influence in Seth Avett's guitar work.

I'm real sorry I never got the chance to see Doc play live or attend Merlefest in North Carolina while he was still alive. God bless you, Doc. The world's a sadder place without you. Thank you for enriching our country and our lives with your amazing talent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/arts/music/doc-watson-folk-musician-dies-at-89.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKOhSzR-cUE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EKOhSzR-cUE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: Rest in Peace, Doc Watson
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
Doc was a legendary axe man and a musical pioneer. His influence spanned a variety of styles and genres, and his legacy will live on in the playing of all those he influenced. R.I.P.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
I was listening to Doc on the train this morning. Got a little teary-eyed, right on the NY subway, when "Traveling Man" from Ballads from Deep Gap came on, because of Doc's wonderful sense of humor and voice. And his picking. Always his picking. I do think the world is a sadder place without a man like that in it.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
I was listening to Doc on the train this morning. Got a little teary-eyed, right on the NY subway, when "Traveling Man" from Ballads from Deep Gap came on, because of Doc's wonderful sense of humor and voice. And his picking. Always his picking. I do think the world is a sadder place without a man like that in it.

The local public radio station does a weekly bluegrass show, and the guy who hosts it just worships Doc. He's been playing his stuff pretty much exclusively since he passed, and it's been a really nice tribute. That man was so freakin' talented.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
In my family we were a little late to the Watson family game, yet we've come to love and appreciate just how talented Doc and his family were. Doc gets a lot of praise for his guitar playing (and justly so), but after listening for a while I really appreciate his voice and story-telling ability. He was such a great singer and humorist.
Bonhead #2
fs!!