Author Topic: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon  (Read 18736 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
Dang it, now I have to read more books!  Thanks a lot, people... ;D

Actually, let me know how Amazon works out for you.  Been working on a novel for some time (actually, working on several novels on and off for some time), but I've been hesitant to try Amazon and self-publishing.  Also, though, my current novel wouldn't work to sell a series (my plan is to have the story take up two, fairly massive books rather than be a continuing series), but Amazon might be a good fit for other things, like a novella I've finished and let sit rotting on my hard drive for far too long.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Dang it, now I have to read more books!  Thanks a lot, people... ;D

Actually, let me know how Amazon works out for you.  Been working on a novel for some time (actually, working on several novels on and off for some time), but I've been hesitant to try Amazon and self-publishing.  Also, though, my current novel wouldn't work to sell a series (my plan is to have the story take up two, fairly massive books rather than be a continuing series), but Amazon might be a good fit for other things, like a novella I've finished and let sit rotting on my hard drive for far too long.
Thanks. Let me know what you think when you have read it!

So far, Amazon has been working out pretty good. Word of mouth is spreading slowly but surely as people read the book. I have over a hundred downloads since I put it up 5/14.

The thing is that you have to sell it yourself. Until you are high in Amazon's rankings, people are much less likely to stumble upon your work. Also they probably won't read it unless it has a lot of good reviews because there is a lot of junk out there. 

I will probably post here from time to time with updates on how the book is doing. It has felt pretty good to have some fellow Rifftraxians give it a chance.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked:
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
Congratulations man! I have seen many new authors break big publishing their first works as e-books. May you go far. This is how Hugh Howey, the author of "Wool" got his start. Now he's on the best seller list and the rights to make a TV series has just been purchased by Fox. And he started just...like...you.
(going to go grab your book)  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:31:17 PM by Lembach »

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 06:14:03 AM »
Fantastic! I so hope it works. It has been exciting and freaky at the same time.

Putting a book on Amazon is also different than major publishers because of the instant feedback. With a major publisher, your book isn't out there for at least six months and it is a long time before you hear sales figures. Then you get paid six months later. With amazon, I go on there multiple times every day and watch the number tick up each time a book is downloaded. If a day goes by with one or zero downloads, it's depressing. I rise and fall with the numbers. It's a roller coaster.

Thanks for the support!
Please let me know what you think of the book!
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
My book has been updated and is now available in print on Create Space. The print version will show up on Amazon as well in the next few days!

https://www.createspace.com/3917143

It is all really exciting. The Kindle version price will not change though.

My own copies won't arrive until next Tuesday. I can't wait to open that box and pull out that book!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
You'll have to tell me how Createspace's quality is. I'm shopping around for ways to print my second volume of Catbeard (what did you think of the first one, BTW?) when I finish it.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
Oh yeah, finished reading it about a week ago, but forgot to say something. Really enjoyed the story and looking forward to more. There were a few typos and format issues, but I was reading it using the Kindle app for my Windows phone, so some of the formatting might have been due to that. So anyway, get cracking on the next one!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
Oh yeah, finished reading it about a week ago, but forgot to say something. Really enjoyed the story and looking forward to more. There were a few typos and format issues, but I was reading it using the Kindle app for my Windows phone, so some of the formatting might have been due to that. So anyway, get cracking on the next one!

Great! I have noticed some format issues on the smartphone apps, though I believe that that is just an issue with the app itself because Kindle support said that it was just the way it shows up on those platforms.

Please write up a review on Amazon, it would be a great help.

And book two is on the way. I am working on a final edit right now and hope it will be available in a week or two!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
You'll have to tell me how Createspace's quality is. I'm shopping around for ways to print my second volume of Catbeard (what did you think of the first one, BTW?) when I finish it.
I will let you know when my books come in! Though I have seen a few others and they looked great. The best thing about it is that you do not have to pay to print. The books are printed as they are ordered so there is no need for them to charge you up front.

I liked Catbeard. I showed it to my daughter and she thought it was hilarious. My son liked the later parts that were more action filled. Keep up the good work! If you get a print version let me know and I will write a review for you.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
Cool beans! Actually, that campaign you donated to was to print the book - three boxes of it are in my apartment now. :D

How old were the younger readers, if you don't mind my asking? That's the audience I really want to reach - kids should totally read comics!

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
My daughter is Twelve and my son that read it was 10.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
Do you have an account over on Kindleboards?  If not, they have a forum set aside there for indie authors who've published on Kindle (it's the one called "The Book Bazaar").  Self promotion isn't allowed in your posts outside of that one forum but you are allowed to put a link to your book in your signature.  It's a great community and a really good way get the word out about your book to a group of people who are really passionate about reading and about supporting self-published authors.

Anyway, I just bought your book but I probably won't get around to it anytime soon.  I have a ton of library ebooks to get through (I recently figured out that, somehow, my expired library card, with some late fees still on it, actually works to get ebooks).  I'll post here and put a review on Amazon whenever I get around to reading it.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »

Sweet! I also am happy that both your daughter AND son liked it. I do tend to write what I like (don't all authors?) and I know that I think of the things I like as being more traditionally "boy" stuff.

So when's your next one coming out? :D

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:56 AM »
Do you have an account over on Kindleboards?  If not, they have a forum set aside there for indie authors who've published on Kindle (it's the one called "The Book Bazaar").  Self promotion isn't allowed in your posts outside of that one forum but you are allowed to put a link to your book in your signature.  It's a great community and a really good way get the word out about your book to a group of people who are really passionate about reading and about supporting self-published authors.

Anyway, I just bought your book but I probably won't get around to it anytime soon.  I have a ton of library ebooks to get through (I recently figured out that, somehow, my expired library card, with some late fees still on it, actually works to get ebooks).  I'll post here and put a review on Amazon whenever I get around to reading it.
Thanks so much! Heading over to Kindleboards now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:01:49 AM by Edgewriter »

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

Sweet! I also am happy that both your daughter AND son liked it. I do tend to write what I like (don't all authors?) and I know that I think of the things I like as being more traditionally "boy" stuff.

So when's your next one coming out? :D
Book two will hit in a couple weeks. I am doing one last edit and waiting on a cover. I'll keep you posted!