Author Topic: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon  (Read 18724 times)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
After trying to get my book series published for years, (rewriting and editing it dozens of times) I finally went and put my first book on Amazon last week.

It is an epic fantasy called "Eye of the Moonrat" and it is the first book of the Bowl of Souls series.

If any of you guys follow me on twitter, you are already tired of me talking about it. I just thought that since my fellow Rifftraxians are about my favorite people in the world, there is no one I would rather share it with. And I promise that there are no vampires, sparkly or otherwise.

If you are interested, you can check it out at the link below. It is as cheap as they will let me sell it, and there is a free sample chapter you can browse:

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Moonrat-Bowl-Souls-ebook/dp/B0082V0ZHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337529724&sr=8-1

Hopefully I can get enough downloads to get a major publisher to take interest in the rest of the series. That is the plan at least and it is doing pretty well so far. If you have any feedback I would like to hear from you. feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I will put a brief synopsis below.

Justan has spent his life growing up on the outskirts of the Dremaldrian Battle Academy. He watched his father ascend the ranks within the academy to become one of the most respected warriors in the kingdom. His one desire is to follow the path of his father and join the ranks of academy students.
His biggest problem? Justan can’t fight. He is highly intelligent and a strategic thinker, but his body is weak and clumsy. Everyone tells him that he is more suited to scholarly work than swordplay. Nevertheless, he hurls himself into training eager to overcome all the doubters and walk into the academy triumphant, unaware that secretive powers plot to disrupt his plans.

Meanwhile, an evil wizard of immense power is quietly raising an army. The wizard uses his magic to take the beasts and creatures of the land and twist their bodies to make them into monsters. There are two dissenters to the wizard’s scheme: an odd ogre named Fist and a dangerous creature who calls himself Deathclaw who was once a dragon but has been transformed by the wizard’s own dark magic.

Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Finally took the plunge and published my book on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Congrats

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
A couple people have been asking me why I bother putting a book out there for 99 cents.

I don't know how much success other people have had trying this method, but as someone who has tried for years to submit to agents and publishers I have learned that no one wants to take a chance on a new guy. They want to go the safe route. All an agent or publisher wants to see from a new writer is a short synopsis and a return envelope that they can send a form rejection letter back in. Only if they like the general Idea of the book will they get back to you and ask you to send them more so that they can read and decide if you are any good.

They have interns whose job is to glance over the hundreds of query letters and discard any that don't meet specific parameters they are looking for. Right now that means Harry Potter knockoffs and Twilight knockoffs. The only way for a Fantasy writer to get in is to be someone with a track record. If they see that you have published books before, they are more willing to give you a chance.

So the idea is for me to be able to say. My first book sold X number on Amazon and I want to sell you the full rights to the rest of the series and the republishing rights for the first book.

That way, maybe I can get past the intern to someone important.

So for now all I can hope is that the people who download my book read it. If they read it, they like it, and if they like it and want to read the next book, they tell their friends to get it. Word of mouth is my friend right now.

So far everyone that has read past chapter three has finished the book and anyone that has finished the book has given me great feedback.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
If stephanie meyer can get pulbished there is hope for anyone.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
Amen sir

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »
I was just friended on facebook by a girl who read the book and now is designing a cosplay outfit for one of the characters. She was asking all kinds of detailed questions about what the character's costume would look like.

Here is a link to her page : https://www.facebook.com/neverland.nicole?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite#!/neverland.nicole

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
Thats awesome man.  I would love to do something that inspires people like that.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
Of course at this point if she goes to a convention dressed up as my character, people will be like "who?". I suppose that's a way to spread the word though. She sent me a rough sketch of the costume she is designing and it looks pretty good

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »
If stephanie meyer can get pulbished there is hope for anyone.
Provided that person can get in touch with Satan to make the requisite pact.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
Crap! good point! Sacrificing goat now . . . Using smoker to really bring out the flavor.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
Okay, just finished this book, here's a few thoughts.

First off, and I don't know if there's anything you can do about this, but there're some formatting errors that popped up here and there in the book. I'm reading this via the Kindle app on a tablet PC running Vegan-Tab, if that makes any difference. Several times the text changed font mid-paragraph, and there was even one instance when a few lines were underlined for no discernible reason. While this may seem like a small quibble, it tends to draw me out of a book when strange text choices occur.

Second, this book is pretty good! It flows pretty well, the characters are enjoyable, if a little cut from familiar fantasy tropes. I didn't mind, though, which to me says that you succeeded in keeping it from just being a giant cliche. If I had any complaints, they would be that we didn't see enough of the main character's time in training for his warrior school tests (this is a personal preference, admittedly... I am a sucker for the warrior's journey story, which is why I love the original Last Airbender cartoon so much. Learning learning learning!) and the main Big Bad's name. I noticed right away that it was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and it kept me checking the other names to see if I could find a similar pattern. Also, it does just sort of seem to...stop. I realize that this is intended to be the first book in a series, but the epilogue just left me thinking, "Oh, it's over." I didn't really get much of a sense of closure, again, even though I realize that technically the story is ongoing.

Overall, entertaining read, and definitely a good value for just a buck! Hope you sell a whole ton of copies.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Matt,

Wow, thanks for reading.

Those formatting errors you saw, I was able to identify and fix and I uploaded a new version a couple days ago so all new downloads will be correct. It had something to do with the conversion from word to HTML.

So glad you liked it. The second book is a direct continuation of the storyline. In fact the first book and most of the second were one one larger book which had to be cut because of length. The series which was originally going to be a trilogy will now be five books. Book two is finished and book three is 90% complete. I just have three chapters to go.

I am hoping to get enough downloads to get a major publisher's attention. If I can say, book one had x number of downloads on Amazon, I may be able to get the submission past the intern and on to someone that actually has some input. If sales are sluggish, I may go ahead and put book two on Amazon as well.

Could you do me a favor and rate it on Amazon? That would perhaps help. Also, tell your friends!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:40:39 PM by Edgewriter »

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
Matt,

Wow, thanks for reading.

Those formatting errors you saw, I was able to identify and fix and I uploaded a new version a couple days ago so all new downloads will be correct. It had something to do with the conversion from word to HTML.

So glad you liked it. The second book is a direct continuation of the storyline. In fact the first book and most of the second were one one larger book which had to be cut because of length. The series which was originally going to be a trilogy will now be five books. Book two is finished and book three is 90% complete. I just have three chapters to go.

I am hoping to get enough downloads to get a major publisher's attention. If I can say, book one had x number of downloads on Amazon, I may be able to get the submission past the intern and on to someone that actually has some input. If sales are sluggish, I may go ahead and put book two on Amazon as well.

Could you do me a favor and rate it on Amazon? That would perhaps help. Also, tell your friends!

Rated and reviewed! I did only give it 4 stars, but I'm trying to be unbiased (and you can ask my friends, I tend to be a VERY harsh critic). I'll definitely recommend it to folks I know.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
Well, you have another sale, sir. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
Thanks a lot for the review Matt and thank you, Jedi for giving it a shot!