Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 111983 times)

Coragale

Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »
Man, Family Circus is complete trash. Who voted for it? I need to put people on my ignore list.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
This is a travesty. The people who did this are seriously sick.

The hell? Obviously tastes vary, but man, I didn't realize so many octogenarians frequented the forum.

Okay, can we stop this crap already? This is the third of fourth list in a row where someone has done the "What the hell is wrong with you for voting for this?" thing and it's gotten really, really old. Someone nominated (not I, by the way) a popular strip than ran for over 50 years on the comic pages. Gasp. People have different tastes. Move on and leave the "shame on you" schtick for other forums.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »
I'm going to assume it's a coordinated prank. That would soften the blow a lot.

EDIT: Probably should add a  ;) ... but I do want it to be clear that the Family Circus blows chunks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:11:33 AM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
On the lighter side of things, folks should check out the rest of the Baby Blues animated show if they can. It's actually pretty good (it also played on Adult Swim for a while a number of years ago, for what that's worth).

Invader_quirk

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
This is a travesty. The people who did this are seriously sick.

The hell? Obviously tastes vary, but man, I didn't realize so many octogenarians frequented the forum.

Okay, can we stop this crap already? This is the third of fourth list in a row where someone has done the "What the hell is wrong with you for voting for this?" thing and it's gotten really, really old. Someone nominated (not I, by the way) a popular strip than ran for over 50 years on the comic pages. Gasp. People have different tastes. Move on and leave the "shame on you" schtick for other forums.

Eh. If it's done humorously, like these were, bring it on. It's a thread about opinions, after all. As long as it doesn't get serious or personal, it's entertaining.

MontyServo

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
I take no offense in it,  I figure it was just a playful take on the entire "Cool As Ice" fiasco.

Offline therul

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 43
  • just another day in paradise
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
I am thinking we may need a set of commandments for the LOC. 

I If thou can't be cordial, thou can not participate
II thou shall have no other list before me
III thou shall not copulate with any other list...

Ok, that is all I have.
We are the only intelligent beings- Arrogance 3:15

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5615
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
Personally, I don't care for Family Circus, but I do appreciate the care that went into the dotted line bits.  I have a soft spot for those.

I think we can all agree that PJ adds nothing to the cast.

See, this is how the dad should look. I mean they both still look depressed all the time, but he draws it so it can be seen as merely stoic or something. Somewhere it went from a strip about two parents trying to cope with the mistake of having children to a strip about how adorable the mentally handicapped are.

I think that the first Dad must have died and he was quietly replaced with a blander, less alcoholic Dad.  Though he might have killed the first Dad.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3535
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Aww, Family Circus had its moments. Still has them now and then. There was a point in my life where I stopped picking and chosing comics on the funny page, and I'm all the better for it because even strips I never found that funny will still knock it out of the park now and then.

It's always worth it if you laugh, even every once in a while.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »

#28 Pogo
57 Points, 3 lists, #2 Pegos220379

Pogo is the title and central character of a long-running daily American comic strip, created by cartoonist Walt Kelly (1913–1973) and distributed by the Post-Hall Syndicate. Set in the Okefenokee Swamp of the southeastern United States, the strip often engages in social and political satire through the adventures of its anthropomorphic funny animal characters.

Pogo combined both sophisticated wit and slapstick physical comedy in a heady mix of allegory, Irish poetry, literary whimsy, puns and wordplay, lushly detailed artwork and broad burlesque humor. The same series of strips can be enjoyed on different levels both by young children and savvy adults. The strip earned Kelly a Reuben Award in 1951.

Kelly's characters are a sardonic reflection of human nature—venal, greedy, confrontational, selfish and stupid—but portrayed good-naturedly and rendered harmless by their own bumbling ineptitude and overall innocence. Most characters were nominally male, but a few female characters also appeared regularly. Kelly has been quoted as saying that all the characters reflected different aspects of his own personality. Kelly's characters were also self-aware of their comic strip surroundings. He frequently had them leaning up against or striking matches on the panel borders, breaking the fourth wall, or making tongue-in-cheek, "inside" comments about the nature of comic strips in general.

It's difficult to compile a definitive list of every character that appeared in Pogo over the strip's 27 years, but the best estimates put the total cast at well over 1,000. Kelly would create characters as he needed them, and discard them when they ceased to be funny, or had served their purpose. Even though most characters have full names, some are more often referred to only by their species. For example, Howland Owl is almost always called "Owl" or "ol' Owl," Beauregard is often called "Houn' Dog," Churchy LaFemme is sometimes called "Turtle" or "Turkle" (see Dialogue and "swamp-speak"), etc. The following list makes no attempt to be complete, but should serve as a rough beginner's guide:

Animated Adaptation:   
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyutnmdDwsg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyutnmdDwsg</a>

Trivia:
Walt Kelly frequently had his characters poling around the swamp in a flat-bottomed skiff. Invariably, it would have a name on the side reflecting some personal reference of Kelly's: the name of a friend, a political figure, a fellow cartoonist or the name of a newspaper. The name changed from one day to the next, and even from panel to panel within the same day's strip, but it was usually a tribute to a real-life person whom Kelly wished to salute in print.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
Aw, darn. Pogo's one that should have gone on my list.  :-\
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
I was surprised how low it was considering how influential and beloved it is.  But it has been out of the funny pages for a long time, and it was never in my papers (or it was gone by the time I started reading the funnies.)

I never read it, but it did inspire my all time favourite comic series...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

#27 The Wizard of Id
57 Points, 6 Lists, #7 Smith Doctor John Smith

The Wizard of Id is a daily newspaper comic strip created by American cartoonists Brant Parker and Johnny Hart. Beginning in 1964, the strip follows the antics of a large cast of characters in a shabby medieval kingdom called "Id". From time to time, the king refers to his subjects as "Idiots". (The title is a play on The Wizard of Oz, combined with the Freudian psychological term Id, which represents the instinctive and primal part of the human psyche.)

In 1997 Brant Parker passed his duties on to his son, Jeff Parker, who had already been involved with creating Id for a decade. As of late 2002, the strip appears in some 1,000 newspapers all over the world, syndicated by Creators Syndicate.

Animated Adaptation:   
Wait, the people of Id were MUPPETS?  Seriously, some earlier work of Jim Henson:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDeAuq44XKQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDeAuq44XKQ</a>
Is it just me, or does the Wizard look really sinister.

Trivia:
Treatment of the comic strip varies in individual countries, especially in monarchies. In Saudi Arabia, references to the king are deleted and replaced with "the boss".

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:22:52 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
Oh, BTW Pogo fans, has anyone read Alan Moore's Pogo-themed issue of Swamp Thing.  It's pretty awesome and heartbreaking.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »

It's always worth it if you laugh, even every once in a while.

I don't know i have honestly read ones that made me face palm and sit quietly for minutes seething.  the older ones with a alcoholic dad might be allright but now it is just a nightmare. 

but too each his own.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE