login

Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 111982 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Wooo, motherfuckers sending motherfuckers to the hospital emergency room in ambulances!

MNFTIU made #1 on my list because it's the only comic that made me laugh so much I cried and couldn't breathe. APGIL bought the book for me years ago, before we were married, and I remember being on the phone with him, unable to talk because I was laughing so hard at motherfuckers beating the shit out of other motherfuckers. Awesome stuff.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5615
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »
Sorry that the pictures for Manly Guys keep showing a broken link thing.  I'm not familiar with it, but I found a nice image for the very top and when I was fixing another thing that link broke.  then another one broke.  What's the deal.

I used to like Mother Goose and Grimm but not so much now that I'm older.  That said, there is something about the art in the comic I like, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

MightyJack

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
I'm happy Nemo, Krazy and Tintin made the list somewhere. I feared that since they were so old, folks might not be familair with them (though there was that recent, superb Tintin movie to act as an intro for newbies).

Little Nemo I'm especially fond of. It's beautiful to look at if nothing else, rather Daliesque (I don't mean 'twisted, swollen body parts' Dali, but the Dali that drew a young boy lifting the skin of the sea to find a dog slumbering there). But I worried about that kid, always falling out of bed. He never did get a good night sleep and he must have suffered a lot of concussions and contusions.  ;D

Hagar the Horrible I listed because when I was a kid it was funny. I don't know if I though it was funny simply because I was a kid... and stupid. Or if it was, in that era, a decent strip. But I was at that point in my 25 where I was pulling out things I used to like when I was young. Today's Hagar I'd have passed on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:28:53 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
Nemo made my list largely because while I've never sat down and read a whole one, I've seen many used as textbook examples of cartooning genius.  And they are.  That's the thing about me: I'm a quasi-poseur.  I missed out on a lot of the old greats (I think I've only read one Jack Kirby issue of any comic in it's entirety) but I've seen many used as examples.  So I couldn't put it up as high as I want, but even the various samplings I've seen has blown me away.  Someday, I'll read it all (that and the Spirit).

I totally get the appearance of Hagar and a lot of other strips that would be easy for many to write off.  It's easy to say it's nostalgia, but I also think that iconography is a big part, like that a person would think some comics are synonymous with the funny pages.  Looking back, I've noticed a lot of these seem to have started with a clearer vision than what they became: in early Hagar the main conflict was the lead trying to get his son and son in law to be proper vikings instead of bookish wimps (or so I've heard).  I also kind of like the design of Hagar, but I'm not sure why.  I guess he's just cuddly looking (he seems the perfect viking to be made plush).

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
Another interesting bit of trivia alluded to above is that the first year of Beetle had no army stuff and was more akin to Archie or older college movies (I wish I could name one of them as an example.  Isn't there an old one where a chimpanzee goes to college or something?  Anyway, those movies were like the animal house of the 40's)

IIRC, Beetle is Lois' (of Hi and Lois) brother.

And I just remembered a strip or two that I should have added. Shoot. Oh well. Too late now.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
In honour of Sunday (and to a lesser extent, Mother's day), I'll be posting 10 entries today!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

#30 Baby Blues
54 Points, 5 lists, #6 Darth Geek

Baby Blues is an American comic strip created and produced by Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott since January 7, 1990. Distributed byKing Features Syndicate since 1995, the strip focuses on the MacPherson family and specifically on the raising of the three MacPherson children.

When the strip debuted, the MacPherson family consisted of Wanda and Darryl MacPherson and newborn Zoe. The first strip took place in the hospital room shortly after Zoe was born. Later, two more children—Hammie, the middle child and the only son, and Wren, the youngest child—were added to the family. Both Kirkman and Scott have drawn from their own parenting experiences as a source for the strip's content.

Animated Adaptation:   
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_ochusp6Qo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/B_ochusp6Qo</a>

Trivia:
The children in Baby Blues have aged as the strip has progressed, although at a slower rate than real-time. Kirkman and Scott have stated that the strip's timeline is "about a 3 to 1 ratio." As of 2011, Zoe, Hammie and Wren are 10, 7, and 1, respectively.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »

#29 The Family Circus
55 points, 4 lists, #6 Mrs Dick Courier

The Family Circus (originally The Family Circle) is a syndicated comic strip created by cartoonist Bil Keane and currently written, inked, and colored by his son, Jeff Keane. The strip generally uses a single captioned panel with a round border, hence the original name of the series, which was changed following objections from the magazine Family Circle. The series debuted on February 29, 1960, and has been in continuous production ever since. According to publisher King Features Syndicate, it is the most widely syndicated cartoon panel in the world, appearing in 1,500 newspapers. Compilations of Family Circus comic strips have sold over 13 million copies worldwide.

The central characters of Family Circus are a family whose surname is rarely mentioned. The parents, Bil and Thelma (Thel), are modeled after the author and his wife, Thelma Carne Keane. Their four children, Billy, Dolly, Jeffy, and P.J., are fictionalized composites of the Keanes' five children. With the exception of P.J., the characters have not aged appreciably during the run of the strip.

Animated Adaptation:   
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vy33qwYETo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_vy33qwYETo</a>

Trivia:
An educational video game was released for home computers in the 1990s. Called Now and Then, the game compares life in modern times to those when the parents and grandparents of the show were young.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:10:10 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »
#29 Family Circus

This is a travesty. The people who did this are seriously sick.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
unbelievable family circus sucks all the joy out of my mornings.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »
The hell? Obviously tastes vary, but man, I didn't realize so many octogenarians frequented the forum.

MontyServo

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »

#12 on my list.  It is quaint and old fashioned and still garners a chuckle every now and then.

Quit hating, y'all!   :P

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Made my list, too, and the first comic Johnny Unusual posted is the reason why. That's a lot of work that went into a Sunday morning comic. I always loved tracing Billy's routes through various set ups.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »

See, this is how the dad should look. I mean they both still look depressed all the time, but he draws it so it can be seen as merely stoic or something. Somewhere it went from a strip about two parents trying to cope with the mistake of having children to a strip about how adorable the mentally handicapped are.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1353
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »

#33 My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable

Never heard of this comic before but I'll have to check it out  :D
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)