Author Topic: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!  (Read 79636 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
Re: List of Crap 59: Top 50 Comic Strips Countdown!
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »

#1 Calvin and Hobbes

457 Points, 21 lists, #1 Amazing Thor, Goflyblind, Gojikranz, Invader Quirk, Johnny Unusual, Monty, Pegos220379, Therul 

Calvin and Hobbes is a syndicated daily comic strip that was written and illustrated by American cartoonist Bill Watterson, and syndicated from November 18, 1985, to December 31, 1995. It follows the humorous antics of Calvin, a precocious and adventurous six-year-old boy, and Hobbes, his sardonic stuffed tiger. The pair are named after John Calvin, a 16th-century French Reformation theologian, and Thomas Hobbes, a 17th-century English political philosopher. At the height of its popularity, Calvin and Hobbes was featured in over 2,400 newspapers worldwide; as of January 2010, reruns of the strip still appear in more than 50 countries. Nearly 45 million copies of the 18 Calvin and Hobbes books have been sold.

Calvin and Hobbes is set in the contemporary United States in an unspecified suburban area. The strip depicts Calvin's flights of fantasy and his friendship with Hobbes, and also examines Calvin's relationships with family and classmates. Hobbes' dual nature is a defining motif for the strip: to Calvin, Hobbes is a live anthropomorphic tiger; all the other characters see him as an inanimate stuffed toy. Though the series does not mention specific political figures or current events, it does explore broad issues like environmentalism, public education, and the flaws of opinion polls.

Animated Adaptation:   
Watterson did consider allowing Calvin and Hobbes to be animated, and has expressed admiration for the art form of animation. In a 1989 interview in The Comics Journal he said:

“If you look at the old cartoons by Tex Avery and Chuck Jones, you'll see that there are a lot of things single drawings just can't do. Animators can get away with incredible distortion and exaggeration ... because the animator can control the length of time you see something. The bizarre exaggeration barely has time to register, and the viewer doesn't ponder the incredible license he's witnessed. In a comic strip, you just show the highlights of action—you can't show the buildup and release ... or at least not without slowing down the pace of everything to the point where it's like looking at individual frames of a movie, in which case you've probably lost the effect you were trying to achieve. In a comic strip, you can suggest motion and time, but it's very crude compared to what an animator can do. I have a real awe for good animation.”

After this he was asked if it was "a bit scary to think of hearing Calvin's voice." He responded that it was "very scary," and that although he loved the visual possibilities of animation, the thought of casting voice actors to play his characters was uncomfortable. He was also unsure whether he wanted to work with an animation team, as he had done all previous work by himself.

Ultimately, Calvin and Hobbes was never made into an animated series. Watterson later stated in the Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book that he liked the fact that his strip was a "low-tech, one-man operation," and took great pride in the fact that he drew every line and wrote every word on his own

Trivia:      
An officially licensed children's textbook entitled Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes was published in a single print-run in 1993. The book, which has been "highly recommend[ed]" as a teaching resource, includes five complete Calvin and Hobbes multi-strip story arcs together with lessons and questions to follow, such as:
What do you think the principal meant when he said they had "quite a file" on Calvin? 
The book is rare and sought by collectors.

(sorry about the size of this one, I couldn't find a copy of this that wasn't grotesquely large.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:11:41 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Soooo many to choose from but two of my favorites:

I feel like this sometimes.

Dang, I can't seem to find the one with the chin-up bar and the guy knocked out. Love that one!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
Interesting fact: Only one person didn't vote for Calvin and Hobbes (not trying to single him out so much as say, HOLY CRAP, THAT WON BY A LOT!)

EDIT: Also, in looking for strips for the entries, I realized I could have just read those strips all day.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Well deserved #1. I am particularly fond of Calvin's various snowmen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SO-FwWeIY4I?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SO-FwWeIY4I?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked:
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »
Interesting fact: Only one person didn't vote for Calvin and Hobbes (not trying to single him out so much as say, HOLY CRAP, THAT WON BY A LOT!)
Oh yeah, the strip bores the pants off me, I'm off to bed will post my list on the morrow. :)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:11 PM »
And then Calvin grew up and was the Narrator from Fight Club.

Great list, expected winner included. I do wish a few different options had come in place of the legacy strips, but seeing as I forgot to vote for a few of them (oh Hsu and Chan... please forgive me), I can blame myself here just as much as everyone else for once.

My list, including links to the ones that didn't make it, because each and every one is one worth your time to check out:

1. Bloom County (newspaper)
2. Eros Inc. (web)
3. Calvin and Hobbes (newspaper)
4. Spacetrawler (web)
5. Fox Trot (newspaper)
6. The Far Side (newspaper)

7. Dreamkeepers (web)
8. Get Fuzzy (newspaper)
9. XKCD (web)

10. Lackadaisy (web)
11. Over the Hedge (newspaper)
12. Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (web)

13. Subnormality (web)
14. Hark! A Vagrant (web)
15. Prescription Pudding (web)
16. Alien Loves Predator (web)
17. Pearls Before Swing (newspaper)
18. Wondermark (web)
19. Darths and Droids (web)
20. Penny Arcade (web)
21. Uh Oh, It’s a Dinosaur (web)
22. Scandinavia and the World (web)
23. Brawl in the Family (web)
24. Sequential Art (web)
25. Sherman’s Lagoon (newspaper)

MontyServo

« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
Here is my list, such as it is.

1. Calvin and Hobbes
2. The Far Side
3. Foxtrot
4. Bloom County
5. Garfield Minus Garfield
6. Life In Hell
7. Peanuts
8. Dilbert
9. Beetle Bailey
10. Pearls Before Swine
11. Blondie
12. Family Circus
13. Garfield
14. Luann
15. Mother Goose and Grimm
16. Nancy
17. Mary Worth
18. Over The Hedge
19. Tank McNamara
20. Ziggy
21. Apartment 3G
22. Zits
23. Andy Capp
24. Dick Tracy
25. Cathy

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »

Wow. That has to be a record. Has any entry ever had that many points or eight #1 picks?!?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
1. Foxtrot
2. The Far Side
3. Calvin & Hobbes
4. Dilbert
5. Garfield (at least, classic Garfield. It sucks now)
6. Baby Blues
7. Lil'formers
8. Cathy
9. Garfield without Garfield

All of my (very short) list made it, except Lil'formers and Cathy. Given this group, I am surprised Lil'formers didn't make it at all.

And yes, I really do like Cathy.

MontyServo

« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
Trivia:      
An officially licensed children's textbook entitled Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes was published in a single print-run in 1993. The book, which has been "highly recommend[ed]" as a teaching resource, includes five complete Calvin and Hobbes multi-strip story arcs together with lessons and questions to follow, such as:
What do you think the principal meant when he said they had "quite a file" on Calvin? 
The book is rare and sought by collectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEACHING-WITH-CALVIN-AND-HOBBES-Bill-Watterson-Comics-Rare-School-Text-Book-1-Ed-/370611491140?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item564a2a9144

Here is a copy of that book on Ebay with a $34,000 asking price.  Yowza!

Edit: That guy must be off his rocker.  You can get a new copy on Amazon for about $1200.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:23:29 PM by Monty »

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
Geez, why the sudden hate-on for Peanuts right at the end there? Why is it so undeserving of a #1 spot? I'm going to admit bias, since it's my all-time favorite comic strip, but man.

Good list for the most part all around, with some surprise showings for webcomics (I honestly didn't really expect to see any on here, except maybe Penny Arcade or XKCD) and manga (Azumanga Daioh?! Wow!). Kinda forgot about Far Side, actually. I always liked that comic, but when I think of quirky weird comics, I tend to head for Charles Addams over Gary Larson.

Had I participated, I'd probably have listed:

Peanuts
Calvin & Hobbes
Bloom County
Charles Addams' Addams Family
Little Nemo in Slumberland
Starslip
Bad Machinery
Gunnerkrigg Court
Max Overacts
Basic Instructions
Johnny Wander
Lackadaisy

Seems like the newspaper comics don't inspire as much love in me these days... but admittedly, I am steeped in comics nerdery, so my likes and dislikes are so varied it's not even funny. I could probably dump a ton of stuff on here. I have a hard time ranking things, too, as for me it's really 1) Peanuts 2) Everything Else I Like For Myriad Reasons.

OH ALSO I MAKE A COMIC
Catbeard the Pirate

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
(sorry about the size of this one, I couldn't find a copy of this that wasn't grotesquely large.)

If you put a width attribute in the img tag, you can change the size:

Code: [Select]
[img width=X]url[/img]

Invader_quirk

« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
1 Calvin and Hobbes
2 Cyanide and Happiness
3 Moe
4 Azumanga Daioh!   
5 Dinosaur Comics
6 Frazz
7 Perry Bible Fellowship
8 The Far Side
9 Garfield Minus Garfield 

10 The Non-Adventures of Wonderella   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
11 Buttersafe   
12 Asaekkiga
13 Daisy Owl (Not hilarious, but I really like it. It's about an owl raising two human children.
14 XKCD   
15 The Doghouse Chronicles   
16 Tundra
17 Dilbert   
18 Neko Ramen   
19 Zits   
20 Foxtrot   

21 Pooch Cafe

I wish I'd included Pearls Before Swine and a few others. I really like Tundra. It's not quite Far Side, but it's a good replacement now that Far Side is done.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
Geez, why the sudden hate-on for Peanuts right at the end there? Why is it so undeserving of a #1 spot? I'm going to admit bias, since it's my all-time favorite comic strip, but man.

I like peanuts, but I find a lot of the later ones dull, and I can understand why a series with such a sad sack main character might attract some haters.  A lot of the early stuff is great, and it's overall a great series.

Shame you didn't catch this in time.  Would have been great to have you (and Grug, who also does a comic).  I think I did post about it in the comics thread, but it must have gotten missed.  Really, I didn't head hunt so hard this time around since I got a lot of participants and as I have endlessly restated, busy lately.

I'm off to bed will post my list on the morrow. :)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
10. Lackadaisy (web)

I like Lackadaisy. I only didn't include it because it felt like less of a "strip" and more of a graphic novel. Sherman's Lagoon is also often good.

1. Cynide and Happiness
2. Perry Bible Fellowship
3. Asaekkiga
4. Calvin & Hobbes
5. The Far Side
6. Azumanga Daioh!
7. Moe
8. Dinosaur Comics
9. XKCD
10. Frazz
11. Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
12. Garfield Minus Garfield
13. Dream of the Rarebit Fiend

14. Romantically Apocalyptic
15. Axe Cop
16. Pictures for Sad Children
17. Nemo in Slumberland
18. Hark! A Vagrant!

19. Nedroid
20. Eat That Toast!
21. Krazy Kat
22. Tundra
23. Neko Ramen
24. Buttersafe
25. Foxtrot

And how the hell did I leave Wonderella off? That would have been in the upper middle somewhere....