Author Topic: How do you read?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: How do you read?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I read only paper books, and I prefer hardcover, even if it means lugging them around the city. I don't see myself ever using an e-reader.

My mom said the same thing.  She has a Kindle Fire now.

I like the things you get with books that you don't get with an e-reader. I like the feel of the paper and turning the page. I like looking at the cover designs. I like the way books smell and the weight of a good book in your hands. And I like the way they look on shelves. I have four bookcases in my living room and dining room alone.

I work for a certain company named after a very large river in South America. Specifically in the division that deals with their popular e-reader. I can tell you that they were specifically designed to approximate the same weight as a paperback book (though the generation 6 is the same weight as a small hardcover book or trade paperback...but it also does alot more). Cover designs do come with the e-books. Can't help you with musty book smells.......wait a sec....

*mental note: suggest "musty book smell spray" to R&D*

Anyway, I felt the same way you do once. I would spend all day in the bookstore. Literally, sometimes. You know, when they started putting in comfy chairs and selling espresso.
It was GETTING me to the book store that was rare. I have acute agoraphobia. I can't deal with large crowds and the only book store near me is in a mall.  :speechless:
Mom gave me a Kindle one Christmas. I was skeptical. 15 minutes after starting my first e-book, I forgot I wasn't holding an actual book.
The e-reader gives me the freedom to have any book I want instantly. I can't beat that. I still spend hours browsing, reading samples and I can also study user reviews. I haven't bought a book yet I felt bad about buying. And even if I did, they will refund you with no complaints (unless you abuse the system.). Bookstores don't do that with physical books.

I know my opinion is biased. Believe me, though, I'm just talking as an e-reader convert.
Oh, and I still have shelves of books. But now my precious shelf space is used for collectable books and gaming stuff (D&D rulebooks, etc.).

Well, I'm not faulting you for preferring an e-reader. My husband has a Kindle Fire and loves it. To each his own, you know?

I am just an old crank who is skeptical of progress -- it's amazing I've embraced the internet as much as I have. Books are old friends to me. E-readers, I don't know them and I'm not interested in getting to know them.
Bonhead #2
fs!!