Author Topic: General Movie News  (Read 277997 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3392
  • All joking a salad.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2334
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: General Movie News
« Reply #2851 on: August 09, 2018, 06:42:39 AM »
The Oscars are adding a Best Popular Movie category.

https://news.avclub.com/oscars-add-best-popular-film-category-for-the-uncultu-1828194090?utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=SF

Wonder how they will pick the nominees for this category?  Top 5 box office winners for the year?  Top 5 scores on rotten tomatoes?   ;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4481
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2852 on: August 09, 2018, 06:51:17 AM »
Look, I have no objections to popular movies being in their for best picture but this is something I don't think the Oscars particularly need.  It feels more like "OK, we have the category for REAL movies and now the dumb-dumbs can have their own category for dumb-dumb movies."  Which is really what the MTV movie awards is supposed to be anyway, so they are covered.

If they want new categories that allow more blockbuster types in their ranks, maybe they can FINALLY do a category for stunts and choreography, which takes a huge amount of work and risk and doesn't get its due.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2853 on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
Or Motion Capture/Voice Over.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2713
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2854 on: August 09, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Isn't this just a tacit admission that the academy only considers unpopular movies? Like, "Logan was pretty good, but too many people watched it for it to fit into our club."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2855 on: August 09, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
It's similar to my issues with the animated feature category.  Unlike "popular movies", I feel it is an important category to have but in both cases, it sort of puts them in their own little corner.  My question is, would "popular movies" include things like "Get Out" and "Shape of Water", which where big genre pictures.  Granted, I think Shape of Water's box office wasn't a huge blockbuster success, Get Out was a huge, popular hit.

I might be a little more into it if it was less of a "and the nominations are" category and more of a "here's a special commendation for artistic merit in a film that is also a crowdpleaser".

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2856 on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
I'm guessing it would be the Disney category.  A couple Marvel movies, a Star Wars movie, and a Pixar or two.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2857 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
For example, last year, the top grossing films were:

1 - The Last Jedi
2 - Beauty and the Beast
3 - The Fate of the Furious
4 - Despicable Me 3
5 - Jumanji
6 - Spider-Man: Homecoming
7 - Wolf Warrior 2?
8 - Guardians of the Galaxy 2
9 - Thor: Ragnarok
10 - Wonder Woman

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2366
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2858 on: August 09, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
I thought it was a 'I can't believe we gave an award to a fish fucking movie' category?
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2859 on: August 10, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »
I'm guessing it would be the Disney category.  A couple Marvel movies, a Star Wars movie, and a Pixar or two.

That seems like it might be the intent/hope.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 243
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2860 on: August 10, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
On a slightly different topic, I'm very grateful to... to.. actually I'm not sure to whom I should be thankful. Whoever I guess is responsible for some of my old favorites coming back to the movie theater, even if it's just for a limited time. Last September I got to see both Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan and Close Encounters of the Third Kind on the big screen. And this September, Transformers: The Movie is coming back to the movies! This makes me wonder, how many other movies close to my heart will somehow make their way back to the silver screen? I mean I'd love to see Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and so on(seriously I could go on for at least three more paragraphs).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2713
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2861 on: August 10, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
On a slightly different topic, I'm very grateful to... to.. actually I'm not sure to whom I should be thankful. Whoever I guess is responsible for some of my old favorites coming back to the movie theater, even if it's just for a limited time. Last September I got to see both Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan and Close Encounters of the Third Kind on the big screen. And this September, Transformers: The Movie is coming back to the movies! This makes me wonder, how many other movies close to my heart will somehow make their way back to the silver screen? I mean I'd love to see Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and so on(seriously I could go on for at least three more paragraphs).
Dude. Keep an eye on Flix Brewhouse.

https://www.flixbrewhouse.com/albuquerque

Go to their website and check out the "Alternative Programming" link under "Events. It's a pretty new theater that serves you food while you watch your movie. They have a few screenings of classic movies every month, and they actually charge LESS for the old stuff. Like $4 a ticket. They've screened Back to the Future, The Indiana Jones trilogy, Naked Gun.. This month they're doing a back-to-school thing and the selections kind of suck, but they usually announce the movies for the next month around the 20th.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2862 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
I actually went there back in January with a really good friend of mine to see The Last Jedi. It's a little out of the way, but yeah it's a really awesome place.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2863 on: August 10, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
I love my local art house theaters. This is one of the theaters they use for Sundance:

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2864 on: August 10, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
Crom.... I've never prayed to you before, I have no tongue for it... but grant me one request, grant me Conan the Barbarian on the big screen... and if you do not listen, then to hell with you!