login

Author Topic: Gotta Catch 'em All!  (Read 25050 times)

Coragale

Re: Gotta Catch 'em All!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
BARAHSHNJFDSAKLDRFSA!

I FINALLY was able to tuck in a Pokemon, and it happened JUST before the server went down, apparently. Pretty obnoxious.

Beat gyms 4 and 5 yesterday. Both had their annoyances. Electric/Flying is EVIL. All you get is the Flying's weaknesses, minus Electric, which leaves a grand total of Rock and Ice.

Cancer(my Drilbur) and Rarity(my Lilligant) got me through Clay's gym no problem, with a little help from Tranquill. There's nothing like Full to Zeroing a 31 Excadrill with your Drilbur. WAY TO ADD A WEAKNESS, BROS!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
A big multi-day Dream World outage usually (Not always) means an awesome new Dream World area or big giveaway is coming soon. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait. :^)

Invader_quirk

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
Neeeat. I got a great Mr. Mime with Technician from my first outing. Nothing good enough to wish for has shown up since. Guess I got lucky!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
I received a copy of the Game Cube game Pokemon Colosseum for my birthday 8 years ago.  Today I finally finished it.  I'd finished Story Mode way back in 2004 within a few weeks of getting the game.  It was Battle Mode.  There are 6 different sets of battles.  Within each set, there are 8 single battles and 8 2 vs 2 battles.  So you have, in ascending order of difficulty:

Phenac Stadium: Level 50 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles
Pyrite Colosseum: Level 50 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles
The Under Colosseum: Level 50 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles
Orre Colosseum: Level 50 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles
Tower Colosseum: Level 100 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles
Orre Colosseum: Level 100 cap, 8 1v1 and 8 2v2 battles (yeah, you go to Orre twice)

You have to win 8 battles in a row to clear, and only have 5 continues.  If you run out, you gotta start from the beginning.

The level 50 cap fights were easy and I cleared those back in 2004.  The level 100 fights are significantly harder (every trainer has multiple legendary Pokemon, with good stats, good move sets, and rather clever strategies).  I remember that I could never finish them with either of my regular Ruby/Sapphire teams (Teams Psi and Chi over here).  I think it was in 2007 that I ended up making a team that was heavy on the legendaries and I was finally able to beat the Tower Colosseum and the single battle Orre level 100.  I'm not sure exactly when I did this, but it was definitely years after originally getting the game.  I used this team:

Bold Kyogre with Surf, Protect, Ice Beam, Thunder and a King's Rock
Impish Groudon with Flamethrower, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Solarbeam, and a Miracle Seed
Lonely Zapdos with Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Drill Peck, Light Screen and a Quick Claw
Bashful Rayquaza with Dragon Claw, Thunder Wave, Extremespeed, Hyper Beam, and a Silk Scarf
Naughty Primeape with Cross Chop, Earthquake, Taunt, Swagger, and Leftovers
Timid Gengar with Thunderbolt, Explosion, Destiny Bond, Confuse Ray, and Lum Berry

I turned out not using Rayquaza much at all, and Gengar was really useful as a kamikazee Pokemon.  The trainers had some pretty tough Pokemon (the 2nd trainer in level 100 Orre has a really tough Latios).  More than once I brought out Gengar and just had him keep using Destiny Bond.  A few times I would team Gengar up with Kyogre, have Kyogre use Protect and Gengar use Explosion.

The last battle was pretty incredible.  I had Zapdos and Kyogre up against Latios and Latias.  I had Light Screen up which helped a ton and kept Zapdos alive long enough to land Thunder Wave on both of them.  When Zapdos died, I switched in Groudon, who couldn't scratch either of them, but had enough Special Defense coupled with Light Screen to soak up a lot of Ice Beams and Psychics while Kyogre knocked them down with Ice Beams.  It was fun.  One of the most exhilirating Pokemon battles I can remember.  Ended it with Kyogre having about 50 HP left and nailing Latios with Ice Beam for the win, which would not have worked if Groudon hadn't distracted them and if they weren't paralyzed.

Coragale

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
Met the most obnoxious Swoobat today and found out that once again, Cancer is my Strength. My only real answer to something like that is Wobuffet, which I found in the DW (SCORE!), but it had the magic Air Slash that made it flinch EVERY DAMN TIME. It fainted twice, so I had to use my other Pokemon as meat shields. Cancer (my Excardrill) turned out to be the best defense, because of the Steel type advantage over Flying, but this thing had maxed out it's Special Attack. If Wobuffet hadn't flinched so many times, it would've been easy. Finally got it after I had used up 6 revives and 6 hyper potions, though. It decided that making me flinch every time was bullshit, and let a Mirror Coat get through.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
Played a little Pokemon Stadium 2 on my N64 yesterday.  The Little Cup (level 5 cap, no fully evolved Pokemon) was harder than  imagined.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Met the most obnoxious Swoobat today and found out that once again, Cancer is my Strength. My only real answer to something like that is Wobuffet, which I found in the DW (SCORE!), but it had the magic Air Slash that made it flinch EVERY DAMN TIME. It fainted twice, so I had to use my other Pokemon as meat shields. Cancer (my Excardrill) turned out to be the best defense, because of the Steel type advantage over Flying, but this thing had maxed out it's Special Attack. If Wobuffet hadn't flinched so many times, it would've been easy. Finally got it after I had used up 6 revives and 6 hyper potions, though. It decided that making me flinch every time was bullshit, and let a Mirror Coat get through.
Um...spammer?

Coragale

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »
Yes, he was.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 454
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
Played a little Pokemon Stadium 2 on my N64 yesterday.  The Little Cup (level 5 cap, no fully evolved Pokemon) was harder than  imagined.

Marowak with Thick Club and Pikachu with Light Orb are overpowered. If it allows items.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Hey kids! Do you like Pokemon? Do you like historical turn-based strategy games about the unification of Japan?

Well Nintendo has the game for YOU!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1222303p1.html

(Seriously, as both a Pokemon Fan and a fan of Koei's strategy game, I'm all over this. :^))

Coragale

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »
Well, my stupid dog ate through my  8 hours of work on Platinum today.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »
DISLIKE

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »
I'm trying to catch Uxie and I lowered its Evasion by 6 stages, but Sing still fails every time. What the hell?

Coragale

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Spore ftw.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
I finally did catch it (putting it to sleep with Yawn this time), but the math says that Sing should have had over a 100% chance to hit. I had way more trouble with Azelf, the little prick. If I hadn't caught him the last time I tried, I was just going to kill it and move on. BUT I did catch it, and I now have the National Pokédex finally. Woot.