Author Topic: Any Love For John Stossel?  (Read 22089 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Any Love For John Stossel?
« on: February 24, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
I try to catch any and all of his 20/20 special when they air. Last night was "Scared Stiff: Worry In America," all about how all kinds of well-intentioned people scare the living shit out of the general public over things that are not necessarily problems (not big ones, anyway). I missed the beginning, unfortunately, but I came in on the part where Stossel interviews schoolchildren who are PETRIFIED that they're gonna be kidnapped by a stranger when, in fact, crimes of this sort have not increased ONE BIT over the last thirty years. Sobering stuff.

BTW, if you'd like a weekly dose of Stossel, he writes a column that appears on realclearpolitics.com every Wednesday.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

MontyServo

Re: Any Love For John Stossel?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
I don't get to see him much on TV, but his last book - "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get Out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know is Wrong" is a great read.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
John Stossel?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:18:25 PM »

I'm a bit of a political junkie, and he was always on the peripheral of any major issue. His libertarian views are usually pretty refreshing when it comes to broadcast news. And his first book was interesting... other than that, i haven't really paid much attention to the guy besides his occasional appearances on news magazine shows.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
Re: John Stossel?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »

I'm a bit of a political junkie, and he was always on the peripheral of any major issue. His libertarian views are usually pretty refreshing when it comes to broadcast news. And his first book was interesting... other than that, i haven't really paid much attention to the guy besides his occasional appearances on news magazine shows.

His specials tend to be about larger trends and general tendencies in how people think (last night's, for example, is pretty much about pessimism, how it's encouraged by the media, and how it's largely unfounded). His columns get more into specific issues of how government tends to fuck things up.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline KissKissBangBang

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Kilmer Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
Yeah he is cool, I read his first book. Plus I have seen him on 20/20   
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
Re: John Stossel?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »

-Rude

You'd probably like Neal Boortz.  He and Stossel are pretty close in political philosophy, and Boortz is more focused on entertainment than serious journalism.  I listen to him every morning here in Atlanta (where his radio show is based).

On Stossel, I don't see him often, but I have his latest book, and I love it.

acoletterose

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »
I'd forgotten about Stossel. Way back when, my high school Economics teacher would have Stossel days and we'd spend the entire period watching some videos she had taped or he had made. I forget what it was we watched, I know Greed was one of them...

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 07:48:01 AM »
Yeah, I've enjoyed what I have seen. Most recently it was on bad/good schools, teacher unions and such.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
John Stossel rocks and I cannot believe he actually made the career he's had in the mass news media; usually non-lemmings like him don't last long.  What I like best about him is that he doesn't cloak his reports in fake "non-bias."  You know exactly where he's coming from, and I want him for my President.

That said-- John, seriously... the mustache.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:51:50 PM by LadyKenobi »

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
John Stossel rocks and I cannot believe he actually made the carrer he's had in the mass news media; usually non-lemmings like him don't last long.  What I like best about him is that he doesn't cloak his reports in fake "non-bias."  You know exactly where he's coming from, and I want him for my President.

You say that... but think about how disturbing and weird Alex Trebek is without The
Mustache.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »
no
I really do like pie.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
no

Thank you for your sterling contribution to the dialogue.  ::)

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 07:47:03 AM »
John Stossel rocks and I cannot believe he actually made the carrer he's had in the mass news media; usually non-lemmings like him don't last long.  What I like best about him is that he doesn't cloak his reports in fake "non-bias."  You know exactly where he's coming from, and I want him for my President.

John Stossel's mustache is of Tom Selleck proportions.  It must stay.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:23 AM »

John Stossel's mustache is of Tom Selleck proportions.  It must stay.

I had forgotten about Tom Selleck! That guy mustache-less is a petrifying sight indeed.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:30 PM »
*looks at stopwatch* Well that took a little longer than even I thought.... (going OT, I mean)  This man has more talent and drive in his pinkie than most mass media (I'm looking at you Geraldo) have in their entire bodies....