Author Topic: Lest Talk About HDTV's  (Read 6957 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3521
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Lest Talk About HDTV's
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
You have the same problem I have for a large HDTV to set on a smaller size stand.. I bought a 2 x 8 12 foot board yesterday at Lowes and had them cut it in half for 2 6 foot long boards that I plan on staining and attaching them side by side on top of the existing shelf to support the longer/wider base feet of this new HDTV. It's a crude but a simple solution for my setup..
My front window has been blocked by my TVs for years.. First the 46 inch projection RCA TVs and then my 55 inch Vizio and now it will be completely blocked by this 75 inch HDTV.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 06:17:38 AM »
I also have cast iron radiators in various places, that limits things even more, there's one behind the TV in the picture I posted.  It's almost as if they weren't thinking about TVs when building the house in 1940.  ;D

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
I don't think they even make plasma TVs anymore, but when I got ours (10 years ago now) viewing angles on HD LED TVs sucked. (Early plasmas had a problem with burn in, but that had been fixed by the time we got ours). I'd love a bigger 4K TV, but the other thing with plasmas is that they have a lifespan about as long as the tube TVs they replaced, so I have a tough time justifying replacing a perfectly OK 52" just to get 4K plus then needing new peripherals in order to be able to watch anything in 4K. Also don't think my internet service has the bandwidth to stream in 4K and thanks to their monopoly here it'll be years and years before they upgrade to that point if they ever do in my lifeftime.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
I don't think anyone has made a plasma TV since around 2015.

Black Friday deals have started at Best Buy, the Samsung 55" QLED TV I was looking at has dropped to $1000.  That's less than the 46" I got 10 years ago, so now down to $400 more than the 58" regular LED.  My reason for upgrading is better resolution, color, and contrast, so I guess I'm leaning towards the QLED.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
Was in Wal Mart today...wasn't looking at TVs but they had a stack of 65" LED TVs with some brand I've never heard of (TLC) for $398.
Probably a POS, but the price was tempting.