login

Author Topic: Here's a tip: Clean your fans and heat sinks occasionally :P  (Read 156 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 434
Here's a tip: Clean your fans and heat sinks occasionally :P
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
My FX-8350 has been overclocked to 4.5 GHtz (from 4.0) for over a year with no problem. But then, just recently, it's started locking up on me. Certain games, like Subnautica, would do this within minutes. So I pulled out trusty Prime95 to see if my system was stable. It locked up within 5 seconds.

So I took the case off and yep, the fan and heat sink were caked with dust. I used to compressed air to clean it out, put the case back on, and ran Prime 95. Now it works just fine.

Moral is, if you have an air cooler, like the Hyper 212 EVO, clean out the fan and the fins every once in a while.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1219
Re: Here's a tip: Clean your fans and heat sinks occasionally :P
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
My MB has a handy little CPU temp readout right on it, so if I don’t have Afterburner open to watch my GPU and CPU performance on my second monitor, I can still check my CPU temp and see if anything is abnormal.

Your place must be particularly dusty though if that dust was only a year old and it locked up your computer. My cat sits right on top of my computer (she loves the warm air from the top fans blowing up on her belly and her butt) and I generally go about a year between cleanings, but only as a formality born out of habit. Maybe air coolers gather dust quicker than my liquid radiator.