login

Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 65659 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Baseball 2012, 2013, The Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:20 AM »
So looks like we're getting instant replay "challenges". (1 in the first 6 innings, 2 in the last 3)

But what's stupid about it is there doesn't seem to be any repercussions for throwing a challenge & being wrong.  So if you have an opposing pitcher who is on a roll you can just throw a challenge to break up his rhythm even if you know you aren't going to win the challenge.  Definitely not going to help with all the complaints that games take too long either.

Also just saw that A-Rod (or someone "in his camp") is apparently the person who leaked the names of Braun, Melky, Cervelli, & Carrillo to Yahoo back in February.  That's certainly not going to win him any friends in the game.  He also plans to sue MLB if they don't drop his suspension to 0 games.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
I think by now, A-Rod is the only guy who thinks A-Rod should be playing ball right now.

On the Tigers, Jhonny Peralta got suspended for 50 games.  He shrugged, said, "I'm heading out for a bit.  Sorry I screwed this up for my team and my friends, I made mistakes, I'll live with the consequences, and I wish my teammates all the best."

Last time I checked, one team was leading their division in the AL and one was watching Boston and Tampa Bay duking it out from quite a distance away.

Isn't there a saying that people are willing to put up with arrogance as long as it gets results? ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
But what's stupid about it is there doesn't seem to be any repercussions for throwing a challenge & being wrong.  So if you have an opposing pitcher who is on a roll you can just throw a challenge to break up his rhythm even if you know you aren't going to win the challenge.  Definitely not going to help with all the complaints that games take too long either.
I heard that if the coach gets a challenge wrong he will lose the challenge, whereas if he's right about the call he will still be able to challenge another play.  Sure he may throw away his challenge in the 6th knowing he gets two new ones the following inning, but other than that he may not want to waste it.  I'm all for the rule...to hell with tradition, it's about getting the call right.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
I heard that if the coach gets a challenge wrong he will lose the challenge, whereas if he's right about the call he will still be able to challenge another play.  Sure he may throw away his challenge in the 6th knowing he gets two new ones the following inning, but other than that he may not want to waste it.  I'm all for the rule...to hell with tradition, it's about getting the call right.

I agree with the addition of replay as well.  Just some aspects of it seem weird.  I guess we'll have to wait for all the details to come out so we can see what all the little rules are with it.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
Well, the Charlie Manuel era for the Phillies is over.  Kind of pointless to replace him at this point in the season but who knows what has been going on behind closed doors.  It's not like anyone new is going to get us into the post season at this point.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #350 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
 Times like this I really miss Harry Kalas.  He would always come up with great stuff to say when things were going badly.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #351 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
3 ninth inning walk off wins in a row for the Phillies.  Can't remember the last time that happened.
Ruf is up to 10 home runs for the month.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #352 on: August 24, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »
Well, that was a strange one.  Phillies had lots of chances to get a 4th consecutive walk off but couldn't get it done.  When your starting pitcher only lasts 2/3 of the first inning you don't expect to then run out of pitchers in the 18th.  Casper Wells (outfielder) came close to getting through the 18th but things fell apart, he got the first 2 guys out but then he was squeezed pretty bad by the home plate umpire so it wasn't all his fault.

Longest running time game in Phillies history, 7 hours 6 minutes.

Sundays starter pitched 5 innings in Saturday's, some before midnight and some after so he did pitch on Sunday...

Roy Halladay was going to pitch a rehab in Reading Sunday but will now pitch in Philly.  That should be interesting, he should be on a limited pitch count at this point, and we don't have any bullpen left, no off day until 9/5 so it's not like there will be a chance to rest anyone if Roy doesn't make it far into the game.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »

:D

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #354 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
Holy crap, Max Scherzer is the luckiest man in baseball.  Not many pitchers get to 19-1, let alone hang onto that record for another day thanks to a three-shot walk-off home run, when every other starter on the team gets smoked by the A's offense.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #355 on: August 29, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Holy crap, Max Scherzer is the luckiest man in baseball.  Not many pitchers get to 19-1, let alone hang onto that record for another day thanks to a three-shot walk-off home run, when every other starter on the team gets smoked by the A's offense.

I picked a bad year to pass on Scherzer in fantasy baseball.  Had him several years in a row & decided "nah" this time around & took Gio Gonzalez... ungh.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
Phillies swept the Braves this weekend, with lots of cool late innings heroics.   But not sure how hard the Braves are really playing right now with the big lead they have.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #357 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
It was the Cliff Lee show tonight, 14 strikeouts, 3 hits, 4 RBIs.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
Wow.

Tigers, White Sox.  Sox ahead, 6-0, when Tigers took up bats bottom of the ninth.

3 outs later, game is tied 6-6.  Tigers win in the 12th on an Infante single with the bases loaded.

Only in baseball.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:31:51 PM by SJP »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2013, 05:35:35 AM »
Playoffs soon.  All the NL teams are set (still working on which two teams are wild cards, but the teams in playoffs are set).   AL still figuring that out.

Now just keep Chris Berman from announcing any games please