Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 66880 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
Last night not fun...but very typical of the Cubs on the road this year.

What is the deal with that?  Those home / away splits are crazy.  They better try to get home field advantage in the post season or they are going to be in trouble.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2019, 07:55:47 PM »
Cubs have totally blown it over last week. Went from 2 game lead in last wild card spot and only 2 games back from division lead to 3 games back from last wild card and 6 games back in division. Terrible relief pitching all year has really came back to bite them in the ass more then anything else. High paid closer (Kimbrel) picked up midseason has been terrible and blew last 2 games that would have kept them in contention. Maddon definitely gone as manager in another week. Season of blown opportunities.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »
Gabe is out as Phillies manager.  Looks like the pitching coach is also gone.  So pretty much all new managing and coaching next year.

Two teams I can't stand, the Dodgers and Braves are done, who could have guessed that? 

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #543 on: October 16, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
Madden already got another gig. Was definitely time foe the Cubs to make a change, but always liked Madden so glad he'll be in the American league and won't face the Cubs often.

Why the hell are the Phillies interviewing Dusty Baker? That would be a huge mistake.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #544 on: October 16, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »
Why the hell are the Phillies interviewing Dusty Baker? That would be a huge mistake.

Phillies management had a press conference last week and it was a mess, so I have no idea what is going on with them.  Seems like the owner wants to control all the decisions about players and using analytics but will still blame the manager if things go wrong, not sure any manager is going to want to work for that team right now.  Hasn't the last 2 years, and the history of every team that has tried to go heavy with analytics proved that you can't build a great team using it?  Analytics works over the long term, wins and losses average out, in other words, it gets you a .500 team, not a 100 win team.   :grr:

And WTF, Cardinals can't win one lousy game against the Nats?  So with the teams left playing I now have zero interest in the World Series...