login

Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99379 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
Bump. Hopefullt the mods will put this in the iRiff section and sticky it, as it is a useful list for newbies or just people lookjing to try something new.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2012, 03:29:25 AM »
#48a
Incognito Cinema Warriors XP - Bride of the Gorilla
(Total Points: 20    Number of Lists: 1  Highest Ranking: #2 Asbestos Bill)

*sigh*Nothing good ever comes of a Voodoo curse, you ever notice that? Barney (not the dinosaur, but this movie would be a LOT more funny if it was) is a plantation owner with a hot wife. At least UNTIL a voodoo woman curses him and turns him into a monkey. How has this movie never been remade with Rob Schneider?

This movie is most known for: Being the real inpiration for "You'll never make a monkey out of me! Oh my God, I was wrong. It was Earth all along! You finally made a monkey (Yes you finally made a monkey) Yes you finally made a monkey out of meeeee!"

Noted riffs:
Unfound. Fans, post some, and I will put them here.

About the group: I am unfamiliar with Incognito Cinama Warriors myself, but they predate iRiffs by a year or two. And they seem to be one of the only groups that does a true MST3K type experience, with characters, robot puppets, silhouettes, a premis and everything. They also specialize in obscure movies (usually public domain it seems), and they sell DVDs that they ship in the mail. No syncing neccessary!

Purchase: http://www.icwxp.com/Merch/BrideProductPage.html

Available on Netflix Instant? Unnecessary, it is a DVD.

Sample: Couldn't find one.

Soon as the eagle screams next week, this is without a doubt the first new iRiff slurp I'll be sucking down the pipe.  Rikk Wolf & Co. are genii of the sickest most wonderful sort.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »
It's not availiable anymore
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

Makes me sad I someone lost mine

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »
That's too bad. Wierd, since they are still active. I wonder if it was a rights issue.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
That's too bad. Wierd, since they are still active. I wonder if it was a rights issue.

I'll try to find out as I am a HUGE ICWXP fan and have been having a long email convo with Rikk and Co. The amazing thing to me about it - besides the great production values, excellent props, etc. is that the whole thing is a serial story, not JUST movie riffing.  I'd even have to say that they beat MST3K at that...as blasphemous as that may be.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »

I'll try to find out as I am a HUGE ICWXP fan and have been having a long email convo with Rikk and Co. The amazing thing to me about it - besides the great production values, excellent props, etc. is that the whole thing is a serial story, not JUST movie riffing.  I'd even have to say that they beat MST3K at that...as blasphemous as that may be.

That's because MST3k was forced into doing that.

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

That's because MST3k was forced into doing that.

Yeah, they were real resistant to it which is a shame since that was their best season and they did such a good job with it.  They were very imaginative and innovative and WAY more interesting then just being stuck in one place being taughted by people living on Earth.  That was one time they were wrong about the direction of their show.  They may not have wanted to do it but they did it very well.  I could understand wanting to do skits that were related more to the movie of the week but how much longer did we really want to watch the evil people beat up on their minions from a dank lair?

Invader_quirk

« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Yeah, they were real resistant to it which is a shame since that was their best season and they did such a good job with it.  They were very imaginative and innovative and WAY more interesting then just being stuck in one place being taughted by people living on Earth.  That was one time they were wrong about the direction of their show.  They may not have wanted to do it but they did it very well.  I could understand wanting to do skits that were related more to the movie of the week but how much longer did we really want to watch the evil people beat up on their minions from a dank lair?

COMPLETELY DISAGREE. Those arcs are painfully unfunny. I skip the vast majority of Pearl/Mike interactions. I much prefer the hit or miss nature of the movie-based segments to the always embarrassingly awful Sci-Fi story arc segments.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
It was hit-or-miss for me on the story arc segments. The Roman Times one, for example, did nothing for me really. Several of the Space Children ones really made me laugh, though. The ones where Pearl is trying to get mad scientist accreditation went back-and-forth; some bits good, others not so good.

The real reason they didn't work well was the one that the creators gave: without watching the episodes in sequence, the story arcs made little sense, and often had to shoehorn in recap material to help the viewer, which took away needed funny times. ICWXP doesn't have this problem, because they're releasing their episodes with the express intent of sequential viewing, so they can plan their host segments accordingly.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2012, 06:26:26 AM »
I thought they did a very good job given their limited budget and time for the running arc stories. Pearl was mostly annoying, but she did have her moments. Bobo was consisatntly funny, and I really loved the Ape World set that looked like a zoo exibit. I wish they had spent more time there. Brain Guy was awesome.
And they still did random host segments on the SOL too.
I agree that the channel screwed them over by insisting on this, and then running them out of order anyway. But I don't blame the brains for this.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
Did anyone get an update on them re-releasing Bride of the Gorilla?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
Part of it might be that season 8 was my introduction to MST3K and I admit there were some real bad skits.  But I like I said, how long did we want to watch the "mad scientist" hit/injure/kill their assistant over and over?  I never have been one for slapstick and I guess I just feel the arcs forced them to be more creative. 

I also admit that it was more fun when the skits were related to the movie (like Mike's song for Girl in the Gold Boots) but if one really wanted to argue that the old way is better I would ask that you reexamine season 6 whose skits were usually just bizarre and/or just loud.  There were some greats of course but in general they left me saying "this season's host segments are just weird."   

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
I have modified the writeups for 3a Jurassic Park (Quiptracks) and 12 Lady in the Water (Quiptracks) to show that they are available for FREE on the Quiptracks website.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #329 on: October 24, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
I just want to mention the names of the top two iRiff creators other than ICWXP that I have been enjoying the hell out of lately:

1. Just Andrew.  He seems now to be completely inactive, having mentioned at one point on a page here that he had a new baby in the family - which will do that sort of thing.  Those iRiffs he's done, particularly War of the Robots and Warning From Space, were great. I bought his entire catalogue...primarily because Andrew carries things off on his own pretty well.  This is not easy in iRiffs, as a rule, for me to enjoy.

2. Atomic Treatment. This is sometimes just Bryan Sample, sometimes him being joined by Mr. B Natural.  I like the duo pieces better, particularly Sons of Hercules Vs. The Mole Men, but Sample can do a one-man job, too...although not with Andrew's attitude and humor.  I like the way the later pieces are interspersed with "commercial breaks" showing ancient TV ads, also riffed.  AT does appear to still be active, which is nice.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:45:10 PM by MerryWanna »