Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99455 times)

Invader_quirk

Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #225 on: March 09, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
   Quiptracks didn't write anything for this riff for some reason...

I'll talk about it briefly, then. Van Helsing was dad's (Kevin's) idea. He wrote a lot of it while the rest of us were still finishing up Sky Captain. Van Helsing is one of the only movies we've done that hurt. I couldn't stand to watch it, and I didn't want to do it, but we powered through and it ended up as a fan favorite. What I like about this one is that, because dad wrote the first draft essentially, a lot of his style of humor came through and it worked really well with this movie in particular. One of my favorite lines is his "See, I'm so clumsy, I can't do things like this." which I think is the perfect way to draw attention to how ridiculous Van Helsing leaping from horse to horse is.

Also, this track has no "Whoops, banana peel!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #226 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Friday the 13th
(Total Points: 78    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #5 CJones)

Answers the age old question nobody asked: "What if Lizzy Borden was a kindly old grandma?" Oh, right, spoilers.
The story of teeanagers at a summer camp trying to get laid, but being thwarted by a concerned mother. Since when did the Christian Coalition start funding horror movies?
Yes, Kevin Bacon is in this. They are so proud of that fact, they even have an arrow pointing him out.

Movie most noted for: This along with Halloween are the origins of the slasher movie. A horror movie genre that became immensely popular in the 80s and remains so to this day. Yeah, I don't get it, either.
    Inventing "strip monopoly". And then not actually going through with it.

Noted riffs:
"Come on stud, I want you to Kum in my Bayah. Eww.."
"Present day!"
"Ooh! They should have marked that package as fragile."
"All right, TNI ...wait...nevermind."
"Will you slow down! This camera weighs a ton!"
(Go.) "Packers." (Go.) "Packers."
The "hello"s kept just getting funnier and funnier.
I loved the riffs about the light objects she puts against the door. "Feathers. I need feathers!"

About this riff: Um... Gary is getting that whole "throbby vein in his forehead" thing again because I keep disturbing him in his shack out back. So lets ask Erin:
   Ah, our first victim.  Just a couple of goofy killers with no clue how to record a track, write a script, or perform.  That being said it was still a big success and ego boost for us and spurred us on to continue to make more tracks. 

We recently remade this track based on the live performance we gave at Demicon.  It’s much punchier, fuller, louder, and generally more professional.  We were without our Satanic sidekick originally for this one, so we had to do all the sync lines ourselves (something Erin hates btw). 

Our favorite riffs from this one had to be the “Crazy Ralph” jokes.  Go….Packers!  You’re out of Peaches! Etc.

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/hor-riff-ic-productions/hor-riff-ic-friday-13th-remastered

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6zdUm4osSM

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:45:26 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
#6a
TreacheRiffs - Congo
(Total Points: 81    Number of Lists: 6  Highest Ranking: #2 Coragale)

An expedition to take a man in a mokey suit back into the wild of Congo to be with his own kind, other men in monkey suits. Unfortuantely, those men in mokey suits are really assholes, and try to kill everyone.  But before we get to that, there is lots and lots of propaganda on how corrupt African nations are. Culminating in an international incident involving an insane militia leader and his Sesame Cake.
There are lasers, that other guy from Ghostbusters, Ash, and Tim Curry. Yet somehow it's a movie and not fanfic on deviantArt.

Movie most known for: Insultingly implying that Bruce Campbell came from the loins of Joe Don Baker.
    Ernie Hudson being AWESOME, and not letting this movie drag him down.
    Tim Curry not being allowed to wear corsets or heavy makeup, so decides to embarrass himself via accent.

Noted Riffs:
"Oh poopie!"
"LLLLLOOK!" (every time)
All the silverback dialog.
"Cannonba-AUGH!"
"Can you hear me now? BWA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Available on Netflix Instant?Yes

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=17
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/treacheriffs/treacheriffs-congo

Sample: I couldn't find one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:54:40 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
#6b
Riff Raff Theater - Speed
(Total Points: 81    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #5 Invader Quirk)

A study on the airspeed velocities of an unladen city bus. Neo's first clues that he must be in an artificially created reality was when he realized "Whoa, somebody hired ME as a cop?!" and when he went on a city bus tour of how crazy Dennis Hopper is. He also realized that something was wrong when terrorism is treated like a fun action movie when it is being done by a white man instead of a brownskinned foreigner.

Movie most known for: Keanu Reeves doing even more impossible things than when he was in The Matrix.
    Showing that shooting Jeff Daniels is fun.
    Starting tha twhole "Pop quiz, hotshot!" trend that got soooo many people horribly killed.

Noted riffs:
"Explosion? What the hell? I was just trying to order crazy bread!"
"She was probably full of cans."
"helooooo, helooooo helloooooooooo"

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/riff-raff-theater/riff-raff-theater-speed

Sample: I couldn't find one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
And that is it for tonight, folks. You'll have to wait until tomorow for the final 5!

Bummer.

I know, Janice. I know.

Coragale

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
Damn you! This is worse than every game show ever.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
THE SUSPENSE! GAH!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
And I finally divied out my Darth Geek Seal of Approvals. Ones that I felt really excelled, even considering everything else.

Thanks again to Scott Zee for the hilarious artwork.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Hey! I was part of the top ten, go team me!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
Quiptracks - Van Helsing
(Total Points: 72    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Darth Geek)

This was the riff that got me into iRiffs in the first place, thanks to Darth Geek's recommendation. Still one of my all time favorites.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Glad to see Congo made it on there. I just re-watched that recently, and it still cracks me up. Their impression of Tim Curry's voice in that film is stinkin' hilarious.

M@

Coragale

« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3

This is the one where the kid is puppeteered by his friggin' tendons and shit, I remember watching that, and having it freak the shit out of me. I mean, I was like 13, but still.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Quiptracks - Van Helsing
(Total Points: 72    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Darth Geek)

This was the riff that got me into iRiffs in the first place, thanks to Darth Geek's recommendation. Still one of my all time favorites.

This was also a high ranking one for me.  This is a riff that had me sold because Van Helsing, as silly as it is, is a movie I just enjoy watching, and this is also where even the sample nearly had me on the floor just from the over-the-top Igor impression and the endless parade of gags about the place looking like a techno dance club.  This was later topped by the scene where the villagers are storming the castle...I had to actually stop the riff for a few minutes and catch my breath.

There are riffs I have loved before and since, but this was the first to almost kill me watching it, and I'm glad it ranked as high as it did.  While I normally find myself leaning towards a more deadpan approach to riffing myself and like it in others, Quiptracks can do manic like very few groups can, and in something like Van Helsing, that's catching lightning in a bottle.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
And now, the exciting conclusion!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Turkey Shoot - Squeak the Squirrel
(Total Points: 58    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #5 mattwnelson, Invader Quirk)

Partly a documentary on how squirrels are so smart that they will eventually outsmart us and lay waste to the human world. And partly 'Exhibit A' on the mistreatment one dickish "scientist" puts a squirrel through for his own enjoyment, which is the reason squirrels hate us so much and will eventually lay waste to the human world.

This movie is most known for: Showing that sometimes guys in labcoats aren't really "scientists", they are just those assholes who played keepaway with your lunch in high school, all grown up.
      Squirrels are still cute, even when they are really frustrated.

Noted riffs:
"If you'll excuse me, I've gotta go squeak the squirrel"
"It's going to be hard to pass this string."
"Nine Years?!"
"Speed kills, Squeek."
"It is not of the body, Squeak, you must STERILIZE!"
(Do you think his whiskers would tickle your hand?) --- "The tendrils release several neurotoxins. Death is immediate."
"I heard this scene was incorporated into Saw 2. I wonder if there's any truth to that."
(Now for another new problem.) --- "Butane!"

About this riff: Unfortunately, I don't seem to see Scott Zee around anywhere right now. So lets gets some comments from Squeak the squirrel himself:
   Sensored for extremely vulgar content.
Oh! Oh, God! That was...horrible. Dear God in heaven. That was just- Oh, here's Scott Zee, thank goodness. So Scott, what can you tell us about the adventures of this...very disturbing...squirrel:
   A fan favorite. 'Fan' truly meaning singular here. It's everything you ever wanted to know about the clever gold-mantled ground squirrel, how it observes it's environment, and solves multi-tier tasks using it's ever-learning, rodential intelligence and a Colt Lawman 357 with only 2 rounds. Got too bloody towards the end for my likes. Still can't believe it. Last 3 minutes of this riff is complete silence.

Available on Netflix Instant? Unnecessary, it is VOD.

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=27
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/squeak-squirrel-turkey-shoot-scott-zee

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkKakQW9vG8&list=UUVLouZlgwjqZxf_5Kca8nkw&index=4&feature=plcp