Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99475 times)

Coragale

Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
Can we get this thread stickied?

Depends on what you're doing with your other hand.

PAH! Who needs hands?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
#44a
Film is Pwn - Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus
(Total Points: 25    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #7 Invader Quirk)

What happens when a movie company actually calls itself the Asylum? It's a MADHOUSE! A MAAADHOOUSE! So in true crazy person fashion, lots of shit gets thrown, and only a little sticks. This sticks. For all of the bad movies they've made, this is a gloriously goofy movie that kinda make it all worth it. And then you watch Monster and want to perform a labotomy on the studio. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus uses it's few CGI shots like a bludgeon to your funnybone. Over and over and over.

This movie is most known for: A shark biting a jumbojet airplane out of the air! The Irish government coming out and warning people NOT to make "repeated effects shots" a drinking game while watching this movie. Sadly, many still lost their lives.

About the group: Probably the newest iRiff group to make this list. Here is some info on the making of this:
  I started doing research as we started writing.  Tom and I watched the movie repeatedly, alone, with each other, and with friends.  My brother Joseph attended one screening, and as a military buff told us with specifics how woefully inaccurate the film was.  Our friend Brian Alterman (who later joined us in actual riffing) did one session, and provided some of his own, unique off-color jokes.

Noted riffs:
"THERE IT IS! Oh, no it's just an island."
"We just now reached point dumb"

Available on Netflix Instant? Yes

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/film-is-pwn-presents-mega-shark-vs-giant-octopus

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53jjcB1pnno

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
Fixed from being 46a
#44b
Just Andrew - Classic Commercials 1
(Total Points: 25    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #2 mattwnelson)

BUY STUFF! *sigh* Again with this?! Fine, just buy it. I don't even care anymore. I'll be over here with my electric razor, Nyquil and toothpaste.

This movie is most known for: Repeating in an endless loop in the special Hell reseerved for ad executives.

Noted riffs:
I don't know any. Please post some and I will add them here.

Available on Netflix Instant? Unnecessary, it is a VOD.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/just-andrew-classic-commercials-short

Sample: Couldn't find one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 5
(Total Points: 26    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #11 @ScottOTD)

Inspired by his boss having a baby with some floozy name Rosemary, Freddy Kreuger decides he needs to have a kid too. After all, apparently even undead monsters have a ticking biological clock. Must be a "crocodile from Peter Pan" kinda thing, I guess.

This movie is most known for: The bold step in showing that overeating can kill you. Comic books (even ones with REALLY lame heroes) can kill you. Motorcycles can kill you. Um...when did the Freddy movies start becoming PSAs?

Noted riffs:
I don't remember any, it's been a while. Please post some and I will add them here.

About this riff: The ballad of Ronin and Erica is a love story for the ages. 17 and up, apparently.
Release Date:  January 27, 2011
Riffers:  Ronin Fox and Vamperica
Writers:  James Cruise, Erica Smith (Almost Erica Cruise at this point), Felicia Barbaro, Scott Hardie, Gary and Erin Slasher, Seth Paul and DB Barnes
Closing out the numbered Nightmare movies I knew I wanted to make it a big deal if I could.  I fell short of one of my first ideas when it came to the Nightmare riffs.  I wanted each of the first five movies to have a different co-riffer, then when we got to the further sequels and spinoffs and so forth, they could come back in different combinations.  Instead, we had our first repeat team in the series, Vamperica fast becoming my regular partner.  In order to find another way to make it a big occasion, I opened it up as our second open submission riff, and got a great response from it.
The movie itself isn't quite as memorable as the process, with the exception of all the imagery and plot it seemed to steal from Labyrinth.  The best part of this was watching the movie with each contributor's script and taking notes on all the jokes that made me laugh.  That's the kind of thing you'd think would get old quick, no matter who's writing the scripts, but they were just that damn fun.  This was one of the two riffs hit by computer problems though, a nearly complete version of the master script got lost along with a lot of the script for the next riff (Batman).  The second round of riff editing was a little harsher, but faster.  Can't wait to hit Freddy's Dead now just thinking about this one.
I'm kind of interested now to go back and try and listen to the four riffs with Vamperica to hear any difference in our chemistry together.  Each one so far represents a different stage in our relationship.  We did Nightmare 4 when we were still early into dating.  We recorded Dune after we had moved in together.  Nightmare 5 came during our engagement and Batman was released after we were married.  Now we're about to put out Happy Birthday to Me after our one year anniversary....but I'm rambling now.

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ronin-fox-trax/ronin-fox-trax-a-nightmare-elm-street-5

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKA6GSfoGU

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
#42a
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
(Total Points: 27    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #4 @ScottOTD)

This movie, if anything, tries WAAAY too hard. In some ways it pays off. The beginning scene resurrecting Freddy may not make any sense, but dammit, it's one of the single coolest moments in the entire series! Also, this movie tries (with it's limited means) to show the characters being proactive in their dreams. Sadly they are mostly unimaginative cliches of characters. And apparently cliches are like the flu, they are communicable...or something, I'm not sure. Of course, it wouldn't be a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel if they didn't get things wrong too. That is where Ronin comes in.

This movie is most known for: They put Robert Englund in drag! *shudder* Even Mike dressed as Captain Janeway is less freaky than that.
      A supposedly "nerdy" unpopular girl with a rack like an anime character.
      We learn that Debbie hates bugs.

Noted riffs:
"Aaah! Jim Varney!"
"There is no dignity in this dojo! No sense! There is no muscletone in this dojo! No sense!

About the riff: Here is another word from your pal and mine, Ronin:
   The debut riff of Vamperica, and a good sign to me that my girlfriend would actually be willing to sit down and mock movies on microphone with me.  The fact that she is actually a much bigger horror movie fan than I am helped the transition here.
Nightmare 3 made the series fun again, Nightmare 4 tried to formula it to death, but its still fun through sheer force of will from Robert England.  Also, seeing the survivors of the last film mowed down quickly was almost like the series saying "wait, we left how many kids alive?  Damn, we're sorry, lets pick that up." 

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ronin-fox-trax/ronin-fox-trax-a-nightmare-elm-street-4

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jr1s2c16Vc

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:29:35 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
#42b
Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Friday the 13th Part 2
(Total Points: 27    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #7 @ScottOTD)

The one where Jason FINALLY gets his...potato sack? The hell? I mean, yeah it's scarier than grandma-lady in a sweater from the first one, but...are you even trying movie?

This movie is most known for: The tiiightest shorts on the p-p-perkiest ass I've ever see*droooool*
     Cockblocking a crippled kid with a machete to the face and a fall down the stairs. Daaaamn! Even Mr. Freeze thinks thats cold.
     Informing the world of the terrible dangers of lanterns.

Noted riffs:
The riff about Jason texting che che che he he he.
"I forgot my line. Doomed. Oh, right."
"Whipperwill. Whipperwill."
"I'm telling my Mom. Oh...wait..."
"Let me in! I'm supposed to be filming this!"
"So Jason's place is on Google Maps?"

About the riff: Here are some notes from Gary:
   Our triumphant return to Crystal Lake, this one had me sweating because I wanted to do so much better than our first Friday track.
   Thank goodness for the awesomeness that it brought to the table:  Dangerous Lanterns, Noodle Legs, and Pineapples!  That last one is from the bloopers; right before the pooping seen in the crappy market at the opening Erin mentions how odd it is to see pineapples there.  She STILL cracks up every time she says the word now, just going to show that riffing can scar you for life.
   The cat names in the opening scene (which is 90% first movie) was fun, but letting Satan have his own riffing section was an easy out for the scripting pickle the prologue had us in.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/hor-riff-ic-productions/hor-riff-ic-friday-13th-part-2

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6KVQh7Y5yg

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »
#42c
JC Walsh - Red Riding Hood
(Total Points: 27    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #7 CJones)

Remember in Multiplicity when they kept cloning him and they got dumber and dumber? It takes a special kind of movie to not only be Twilight, but play by Multiplicity rules. A werewolf is attacking your village? Who ya gonna call? Dear God, please not M. Night Shyamalan! Oh, um...Gary Oldman...ok. At least he'll take this serious...his character brings his family along? Damn teenagers liking this bullshit, back in my day this kinda crap never got past the drive-ins, why I aughta...

This movie is most known for: This fairytale gets it right in the tail. What? Fuck it, if this movie won't try, neither will I.

Noted riffs:
"...where as in Twilight... Billy Burke had a mustashe."
"Let me get my hammer, then we'll have three tools."
"Oh. Dear God. Two days in there. Didn't think I was going to make it. Here, disinfect the crap outta that, will ya?"

About the group: Yet another I haven't tried. I haven't seen too many reviews of this one on the Rifftrax forum that I recall. And it would have to take some seriously high praise to get me to sit through a Twilight clone. They have riffed more fun movies like Drive Angry, so that may be a better place to start.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/jc-walsh/red-riding-hood

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCG15CSO9s

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
#42d
Ralph and Rick - The Bat
(Total Points: 27    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #13 Invader Quirk)

There is a mysterious killer around, and Vincent Price is helping investigate who it is. This is like OJ Simpson "trying to find the real killer".

This movie is most known for: Might have been influenced by some funnybook character. You've probably never heard of him.

Noted riffs:
"Talk about a booby alarm"

About the group: Another one I haven't tried yet. But I get good recommendations from reliable sources on this one. I wonder how the conversation went when they decided on "Ralph and Rick" or "Rick and Ralph".

Available on Netflix Instant? Unnecessary, it is a VOD.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ralph-and-rick/ralph-and-rick-resent-bat-vod

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQL7cCTY_CA

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
#42e
One Man Band - The Thing
(Total Points: 27    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #10 David)

Badass aliens vs. Snake Plissken! Whoever greenlit this movie, the hookers and blow are on me tonight, buddy! And it has Wilford Brimley? Building a spaceship?! I just got diabeetus from how sweet that was!

This movie is most known for: If diabeetus doesn't kill you, aliens will. The most badass practical special effects ever! Whoever gave Kurt Russell a flamethrower deserves an Oscar!

Noted riffs:
I don't know any. Please post some and I will add them here.

About the group: I think I watched their Mortal Kombat iRiff years ago, and I remmeber that I liked it. That's about it. One Man Band is one of the other groups that tries to have more pronounced characters that are riffing, as apposed to just the riffers as themselves. And it even has a post apocolyptic "setting" so to speak, even though it is all audio, not a VOD.

About the riff: Here is SJP on the matter:
   I wanted to challenge myself on doing a movie I really did think was above such cheap mockery, but I think the jokes turned out well because it was a movie I could sit and watch without feeling like I was grinding my soul into the dirt (unlike Legion, which may be the only movie I've ever done I don't ever want to see again if I can help it).  I also think it has the best Stupend-O skits of the ones I've done, not only from a technical standpoint, but because the structure and pay-off were fun to write and fit well with the movie.  Plus, PPD gets to say "di-a-bee-tus" completely out of nowhere.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/one-man-band/thing-one-man-band

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpAKadcEsCI

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
Aaaaand eight more down, and three more numbers put to bed. Speaking of which *yawn*.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
Wow Darth, we're still in the 40s? this is a huge effort, I would buy you a drink if such a thing were possible location-wise
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Coragale

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
#42e
One Man Band - The Thing

Officially the lowest point of my day. I LOVED that movie. It was on the Instant at one point, but I guess they rotate. Jerks.

Anyway, I wish I had know there was a riff of it. DAMN.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »

I think that's part of the reason for this list.  ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Coragale

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »

I think that's part of the reason for this list.  ;D

Yeh, but I wish I knew when it was still available on Instant. :P

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »

And it has Wilford Brimley? Building a spaceship?! I just got diabeetus from how sweet that was!

:clap: