login

Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 46969 times)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
maybe at the end you should add up the votes for each evolution tree.  i think i had haunter instead of gengar cause i never traded up to gengar.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
My biggest memory of Ditto is that the very first time I encountered one, I accidentally wasted my Master Ball in catching it.

Come to think of it, I made a ton of basic screw-ups in my early playthroughs, back in my Game Boy Pocket days (I had never played games before... ever. It's a remarkable learning curve to look back on now).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Only 2 away from half done. That's usually about how I pace my list. Half one week half the other. Plus he's been listing all the ties in the same placing. If he'd just grabbed the top-most 50, it would probably be done now.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
Only 2 away from half done. That's usually about how I pace my list. Half one week half the other. Plus he's been listing all the ties in the same placing. If he'd just grabbed the top-most 50, it would probably be done now.

One away actually. I got distracted yesterday and forgot to post #26. And the ties are not increasing the length because I'm using standard competition ranking.

#26: Hypno

PSYCHIC

by KaseyKase via deviantArt

Hypno is a humanoid pokemon that puts people to sleep with its pendulum in order to feast on their dreams. It often does this to passing travelers on lonely roads. The Fire Red description notes one incident in which a Hypno led away a child it had hypnotized. Its appearance is marked by its large nose and ruff of white fur around its neck, making it look somewhat like the Spider Man villain, The Vulture:

Hypno has mostly average stats except for his high Special Defense. His speed is low, but he can use Trick Room to reverse move order. Hypno is probably best used as a support and/or special wall. It can use Wish and Protect to heal and stall while whiddling them down with something like Toxic. Because Wish heals the turn after it is used, it can also be used to heal pokémon that switch into it.

Ideal nature: Calm, Quiet, or Modest

Recommended moves:
Nasty Plot
Wish
Protect
Trick Room
Pasychic
Shadow Ball
Toxic
Thunder Wave
Baton Pass

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
Can we at least solicit the next list now then so there isn't more delay?

I sent mine in.  I always do it early cause I just can't wait.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
Can we at least solicit the next list now then so there isn't more delay?

There's been no delay, but do whatever you want. I'm gonna continue following the implicit LOC protocol.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
#25: Charizard

FIRE / FLYING
Points: 33; Lists: 3; Highest: Smith Dr John Smith's brother (#4)

by eic via deviantArt

Charizard is the obligatory fire breathing dragon. At the end of its tail is a flame that burns strogner as it gains experience—if it is put out, the pokémon will die. Charizards like to fight by nature, but won't attack weaker pokémon unless provoked or commanded to do so.

I don't know what popular opinion was when the Red and Blue were first released, but when the card game came out, Charizard was THE rare card. Actually, there was ostensibly a pokémon popularity contest in Official Nintendo Magazine just last month that ranked him at #1, so he's still pretty popular. As far as the game goes, Charizard is unfortunately outclassed by Moltres, who shares the same types and has higher stats except for speed. To make up for this, in Black and White, Charizard can get the hidden ability Solar Power, which decreases HP but raises Special Attack by 50% when in sunshine.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Air Slash
Solar Beam
Focus Blast

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »
Coragale just pointed out that it isn't quite fair to compare Charizard to a legendary pokémon, which is kind of true. The legendaries in the original games weren't nearly as overpowered, though, and Moltres is so bad that it hardly counts as legendary. Charizard and Moltres are both in the Rarely Used tier in online tournaments, which is why it came up.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
#23a: Marill

WATER

by SailorClef via deviantArt

Marill uses the ball on its tail as a buoy to keep it afloat. It dives to the bottom of rivers to eat plants, with the ball bobbing on the surface. I've never had one of these, so I don't really have anything else to say about it...

Marill is a Gen 2 pokémon that is found on Mt. Mortar. Its stats are pretty low, although it does have decent "bulk" (combined HP, Defense, and Special Defense), but if it has the Huge Power ability, its Attack is doubled. Then if it gets the Sap Sipper hidden ability in Gen 5, it gets immunity from Grass, which it would normally be weak to. Its main drawback is its low speed, which can be made up for with Aqua Jet, a priority attack that is also physical (to make use of Marill's boosted Attack), but the move itself is relatively low in power.

Ideal nature: Adamant

Recommended moves:
Waterfall
Aqua Jet
Ice Punch
Return
Focus Punch
Double Edge
Superpower
Toxic

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
#23b: Jigglypuff

NORMAL

by purplekecleon via deviantArt

Jigglypuff is the cute little puffball with the volitile personality. At least in the anime, in which it got mad when everyone was lulled to sleep by its lullabies. Jigglypuff's vocal chords (sic.) are able to change the wavelength of it's voice, according to the Ruby description. Just in case you were wondering what vocal cords (sorry, "chords") are for. It is known as a Balloon Pokémon, and uses its lung capacity to sing non-stop without breathing. Apparently, if a foe does not fall asleep quickly, it can endanger its own life by trying to continue singing as it runs out of breath.

Jigglypuff is a first Gen pokémon found on Route 3 in Red and Blue, and Routes 5, 6, 7, and 8 in Yellow. It has high HP, but is weak in all other areas. It does have a lot of defense moves, so its strategy is usually geared around that. It is a much better fighter in Super Smash Bros., which is the only arena where it can hope to beat Lucario.

Ideal nature: Calm

Recommended moves:
Reflect
Light Screen
Wish
Seismic Toss
Heal Bell
Sealth Rock
Protect
Thunder Wave

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
#22: Mawile

STEEL

Mawile is an interesting case. It, at first glance, seems like just an off-the-wall concept—a pokémon with a big, aligator-like mouth growing out of the back of its head. Mawile actually has its roots is ancient Japanese mythology, though. There is a legend of a woman with a second mouth in the back of her head, called a futakuchi-onna, or "two-mouthed woman." In one version of the story, a miserly stepmother starved her stepdaughter to death because she favored her real children. The spirit of the girl inhabited the back of the stepmother's head and tormented her, forcing her to feed it constantly. In these stories, the mouth often also uses the hair as appendages.

Mawile's head jaws, while explained in-game as horns, appear more like hair, and the pokédex lists it as a "deceiver pokémon." To read the full story, click here for the Origin of Species column.

Mawile was introduced in Gen 3 as a Ruby exclusive. Its stats are nothing special, with a focus on Attack and Defense. Of course the Steel type brings with it a ton of resistances and a poison immunity. With the hidden ability Sheer Force, Mawile gains an ace up its sleeve. It increases the power of moves with secondary effects by 30%, but removes the effects.

Ideal nature: Jolly

Recommended moves:
Swords Dance
Iron Head
Fire fang
Sucker Punch
Crunch
Baton Pass
Taunt
Substitute

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:18:37 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
#21: Hitmonlee

Fighting

Hitmonlee, along with Hitmonchan, is one of a pair of fighting pokémon—not initially related, though now parallel evolutions of Tyrogue—that are based on famous fighters. In Japan, their names are based on Tadashi Sawamura, the first kickboxer, and Hiroyuki Ebihara, a boxing champ. In the english versions, they are based on Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Hitmonlee's appearance is rather odd. While Hitmonchan is very humanoid, Hitmonlee has no head, but instead keeps his eyes in his chest. He also flexy straws for legs.

Hitmonlee is acquired in Red and Blue by choosing between it and Hitmonchan after beating the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City. Hitmonlee has very high attack and Special Defense stats for a single-evolution pokémon. With the ability Reckless, his attack power is further increased for moves that deal recoil damage.

Ideal nature: Adamant or Jolly

Recommended moves:
Hi Jump Kick
Double Edge
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Rapid Spin

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:39:20 AM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Coragale

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
[Jigglypuff] is a much better fighter in Super Smash Bros., which is the only arena where it can hope to beat Lucario.

And I'll KEEP beating you. AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN! BWAHAHA!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
Woo! Jigglypuff! I think what I like most about him is his blank, cheery expression as he pummels your pokemon. There's something demasculating about being beaten by something called a Jigglypuff, and I enjoy passing out that Demasculation. :^)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »
oh ya hitmonlee i had him as oppossed to chan (on my list and in my game)  gotta love kicking stuff.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE