login

Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 46641 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
#32: Mew

PSYCHIC

"Ancient Mew" promo card

Mew's existence is shrouded in mystery. It was hinted that this one-of-a-kind pokémon was used as the basis for the genetically engineered Mewtwo, and even that it was somehow the root of all forms of pokémon life. The Pokémon Stadium description indicates that it originates in South America, while the Red/Blue text merely states that many believe it to be a mirage. It plays a key role in Pokémon: The First Movie, as it is the only thing powerful enough to stand up to Mewtwo.

Outside the games is where its mythic status is most apparent, however. For a long time, Nintendo itself didn't know of its existence because one of the programmers put its data into the code at the last minute when he saw there would be room in the memory for just one more pokémon. (Incidentally, its pretty awesome that they used up the GameBoy's resources so efficiently). He did not program a way to obtain it, just the data. Thus, aside from the heads of the developer, Game Freak, it was some of the players who discovered it first—through glitches—and rumors of a hidden pokémon spread like wildfire. Nintendo used this to its advantage, running a sweepstakes to give 28 winners Mew. There were 78,000 entries, and the publicity catapulted Pokémon to bestseller status.

That was in Japan. In the states, there were many different rumors about how to obtain Mew. I remember hearing one where you swam around the S.S. Anne and some way to get on top of a girl's table and mess with one of her dolls. I tried them all, but none of them worked. Its stats are perfectly even and total 600, wheras Mewtwo's are biased toward Special Attack and speed, and total 680. The only thing Mew is better at is defenses. BUT, Mew is the only pokémon that can learn every TM and HM in the game.

Ideal nature: Timid, Jolly, or Bold

Recommended moves:
It's pretty well open, but of course Psychic is a reliable STAB move.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:58:11 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »
#31: Butterfree

BUG / FLYING

Butterfree is pretty much a butterfly. It has little hands and feet instead of six legs, and an odd little fanged snout, but other than that, yeah. It is known for saying "FREEBEE!" in a high falsetto, and thus is used by store owners to advertize free samples.

I've honestly always been mildly annoyed by Butterfree, and it was kind of bad in the games. Its stats were below average for a third stage pokémon, and it had more weaknesses than resistances—including a 4x weakness to Rock. One redeeming factor came with its ability Compound Eyes, which raises its Accuracy. This allowed it to use the usually dodgy Stun Spore and Sleep Powder with very nearly 100% accuracy. In Gen 5, Butterfree gained access to a hidden ability called Tinted Lens and a new attack, Quiver Dance. The former allows it to hit foes with resistances to its attack for double damage, essentially negating the resistance unless it is a double resistance. The latter is a move that raises Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed all at once.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Quiver Dance
Stun Spore
Sleep Powder
U-Turn
Substitute
Big Buzz
Psychic

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:57:56 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
Never did like Gengar, never could get into him (by which I mean I could never get him). He was too much of a little imp.

I do <3 Mew. I actually watched that movie in a theater and got one of those Ancient Mew cards. Dunno where it went, but it counts for something. And I never could get him in the game, but I remember getting a perfect picture of him in Pokemon Snap (yeah, that game I remember. I like it, as I recall).

And while Butterfree wasn't the most powerful of mons, I actually tended to have one as a key party member for a good chunk of the start of the game. Gives you some good grass attacks, speed, and (most importantly) sleeping powder. I eventually needed to box him when things got tough, but I liked having the little guy around for a while.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
We lined up for the Pokemon movie, but they still ran out of Ancient Mew before we got our tickets. I have one now that I got in a trade at some point.

Coragale

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
Butterfree was ESSENTIAL to Brock's gym, if you had a Charmander. It learned Confusion, and none of the Pokemon in that gym had a resistance to it. It's speed was high enough that it'd go first, too. In Gen I, it was a monotype, I believe. I don't think they made splits until second Gen. This meant that it was only a little weak to rock.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
I'm probably not the first to come up with this, but I thought of it on my own.

My theory:

Gengar

is the ghost of Clefairy.

Coragale

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »
You're not. I believe the theory is that Gengar is Clefable's shadow. The Pokedex calls him the Shadow Pokemon.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
#28a: Lucario

FIGHTING / STEEL

by purplekecleon via deviantArt

For a long time, I thought it was a psychic pokemon due to its blue color and seemingly magic energy, but Lucario is an aura fighter, proficient at manipulating his chi or essence or whatever you want to call it. Not only does he use it to improve his strength and reflexes, but he can focus it into a hadouken-like blast. It can also read the auras of others, allowing it to predict their moves. Lucario can understand speech and communicate telepathically.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RELSX1rpiaY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RELSX1rpiaY</a>

Lucario was introduced in Gen 4, in which he is obtained by evolving a Riolu that is given to the player after traversing Iron Island with Riley. It is a proficient sweeper, with high Attack and Special Attack. Its typing gives it 9 resistances, one immunity, and only three weaknesses. Among these is a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock and an immunity to Toxic Spikes, two common entry hazards. Lucario has access to too many good moves to use, so there's a lot of room to tailor it to fit your team. Train Speed and Attack/Special Attack and wipe the opposing team out before they have a chance to react.

Ideal nature: Adamant, Jolly, Modest, or Timid

Recommended moves:
Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Extreme Speed
Close Combat
Ice Punch
Crunch
Agility
Shadow Ball

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
Butterfree was ESSENTIAL to Brock's gym, if you had a Charmander. It learned Confusion, and none of the Pokemon in that gym had a resistance to it. It's speed was high enough that it'd go first, too. In Gen I, it was a monotype, I believe. I don't think they made splits until second Gen. This meant that it was only a little weak to rock.

I can't find any confirmation of that, and in fact Smogon denies it... I'd have to find my Blue game to check for sure.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
#28b: Exeggcute

GRASS / PSYCHIC

One of the weirdest pokémon concepts in first Gen, Exeggcute is a group of psychic rotten eggs. The form of telepathy that the species utilizes causes them to gather in groups of six, sort of like a cliquey hive mind. The Pokémon Yellow description says that "The heads attract each other and spin around. There must be six heads for it to maintain balance." If one of their group is lost, they will try to replace it with a similarly egg-like pokemon, such as Togepi, as seen in Pikachu's Rescue Adventure. In Crystal, however, the description says that if one is lost, it will rejoin the others "instantly."

Despite their similarity to eggs, Exeggcute are actually more like seeds, as revealed in the Fire Red description in Gen 4. It makes a little more sense, then, that it evolves into a tree.

In Red and Blue, the sprite for Exeggutor had one of the eggs about ten times larger than the others, which made it seem much more imposing than it was: Actually, for a first stage pokémon, Exeggcute wasn't that bad. It has decent Defense and a lot of resistances...and a lot of weaknesses too. Its best chance is to try to put the opponent to sleep.

Ideal nature: Bold, Modest, or Timid

Recommended moves:
Sleep Powder
Substitute
Leaf Storm
Psychic
Giga Drain
Synthesis
Sunny Day

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
#28c: Empoleon

WATER / STEEL

by seiryuuden via deviantArt

Rarely has there been a more badass penguin. Empoleon may have the stature of his French namesake (to the inch, in fact), but it also has huge, steel rimmed wings and a beak that forms a trident-like crown, making him much more imposing than that Bonaparte loser. They lead large colonies of their kind, the Empoleon with the largest crest being the alpha male.

Empoleon is the final evolution of fourth Gen starter Piplup. It is a powerhouse pokémon, with a huge list of resistances thanks to its type pairing, and is one of few Water types to be damaged normally by Grass. It excells in Special Attack and Special Defense. Empoleon can tank Special damage efficiently, although it has no recovery moves.

Ideal nature: Calm, Modest, or Timid

Recommended moves:
Ice Beam
Scald
Surf
Grass Knot
Stealth Rock
Agility
Roar

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
I love Japan, they really have some creative minds...
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
#27: Ditto

NORMAL
Points: 32; Lists: 3; Highest: Smith Dr John Smith's brother (#9)

by clearkid via deviantArt

Ditto is a very unique pokémon, whose only ability is to transform into a copy of any pokémon it faces or any object. Actually, Mew can also turn into other pokémon, but Ditto is the only reproducing species that can. Sometimes, Ditto forgets or is unable to transform its face, resulting in a doppleganger that has Ditto's tiny eyes and wide mouth.

In Red and Blue, Ditto can be encountered on routes 13, 14, 15, and 23, and in Cerulean Cave. It has very bad stats, but they change along with everything else when it transforms...except HP. It is always going to be at a disadvantage because you have to waste a turn on Transform. The only way to regain an even playing field is to put status effects on the whole opposing team beforehand.

In Gen 5, Ditto gets a hidden ability, Imposter, which makes it transform when the opponent switches in. This could be good? At least you don't have to use a turn on it, but it doesn't work when you switch in...

If you want to catch a Ditto before Gen 5, start with a pokémon with an easy catch rate, such as a Caterpie, as Ditto will copy that too when it transforms.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Transform

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
Of course the best use for Ditto is to put him out to stud in the daycare because he'll breed with any pokemon of any gender. No need to worry about catching females or catching certain compatable types (Unless you're breeding for a move). If you want an egg of a pokemon, you just need any of that pokemon.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
Of course the best use for Ditto is to put him out to stud in the daycare because he'll breed with any pokemon of any gender. No need to worry about catching females or catching certain compatable types (Unless you're breeding for a move). If you want an egg of a pokemon, you just need any of that pokemon.

That's right. I forgot to go into that.