Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 47018 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
Squirtle is a water turtle, though unlike real water turtles, it has feet instead of fins. This would in fact make it a water tortoise, but "Suirtoise" sounds stupid, so there you go. Squirtle is known for spewing water at things.

My sister, who's now a doctor at the Mayo Clinic, once asked me about five years ago: "What's the difference between Turtles and Tortoises?". I told her, Turtles have flippers, Tortoises have feet. I didn't realize this wasn't common knowledge.

I think most people think the terms are interchangeable—like "tortoise" is an older, more official term for the same thing.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
It's a difference that matters to some and not to others:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWMcRVZIVwk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SWMcRVZIVwk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
Bulbasaur was a great starter.  Vine Whip crushed Brock and Misty.  I think.  It's been a while.  Did Misty's Starmie have Psychic?

Charmander would put you at a disadvantage for both Brock and Misty.

Though I guess you could catch other wilds for Misty, I seem to recall that Bulbasaur was really the only thing that could really do heavy damage to Brock's Pokemon at that stage.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
Bulbasaur was a great starter.  Vine Whip crushed Brock and Misty.  I think.  It's been a while.  Did Misty's Starmie have Psychic?

Though I guess you could catch other wilds for Misty, I seem to recall that Bulbasaur was really the only thing that could really do heavy damage to Brock's Pokemon at that stage.

Yeah Bulbasaur made the early gyms a cakewalk. If you picked Charmander you'd pretty much have to pound your way through the battle, and also have caught at least two others (I think Pidgey and Ratatta were your only options at this point) to whittle them down as well. Was basically a battle of attrition. By the time you got to Misty you hopefully had caught some bugs and evolved them appropriately to get some grass attacks.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
#49a: Kyurem

DRAGON / ICE
Points: 23; Lists: 1; Highest: Smith Dr John Smith's brother (#3)

Kyurem is one of the legendary pokémon introduced in Black and White. It is part of the Tao Trio along with Black and White's avatar pokémon, Reshiram and Zekrom. Though it does not evolve, it does have a black and a white form—something that will be explored in depth in Pokémon Black and White 2.

Kyurem, in the center, as part of the Tao Trio

As the only Dragon / Ice pokémon, it loses the usual Ice weakness of Dragon types, but gains weakness to Fighting, Steel, and Rock, and of course retains its Dragon weakness. It also loses its resistance to fire, leaving it with more weaknesses than resistances, but its legendary—it can deal with it. The type pairing is good for giving STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) to Ice Beam, however, which is a great backup for Draco Meteor. Its speed base stat is only 95 (out of 255), which is probably its main weakness.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Dragon Pulse

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:30:10 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Coragale

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

Yeah Bulbasaur made the early gyms a cakewalk. If you picked Charmander you'd pretty much have to pound your way through the battle, and also have caught at least two others (I think Pidgey and Ratatta were your only options at this point) to whittle them down as well. Was basically a battle of attrition. By the time you got to Misty you hopefully had caught some bugs and evolved them appropriately to get some grass attacks.

Butterfree got me through those gyms. Then I boxed it.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
#49b: Mareep

ELECTRIC

Mareep, Mareep, the electric sheep. As it evolvs, Mareep becomes much less sheep-like. It begins walking upright and loses all its wool. As a Mareep, though, it uses its wool to generate and store static electricity and to provide it with insulation. In nature, it has a docile disposition and tends to avoid combat. It is known for making Philip K. Dick wonder weather androids dream about them.

Mareep was introduced in Gen 2 (Gold and Silver), in which it learned only five moves by leveling up (plus two starting moves). It also had a very short list of learnable TMs, including only one damaging attack that was a type other than Normal or Electric: Iron Tail.

By Gen 5 (Black and White), however, Mareep had picked up several more moves, including a Bug and a Rock attack both learned by levelling up. These widened its type matchup possibilities significantly, though sadly still not offering any super effective counter to Ground types. Also added in Gen 5 was Cotton Guard, a move that 'drastically' raises defence—giving it a boost of three stages compared to the two gained by moves that 'sharply' raise stats.

Mareep's highest stat is its Special Attack, though, as a first stage of three, its base stats are fairly low overall.

Ideal nature: Bold or Modest

Recommended moves:
Discharge
Hidden Power (Grass or Ice)
Thunder Wave
Reflect
Light Screen

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:31:18 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »

Unless you wanted to spend hours trying to catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forrest. That only helps v. Misty, though.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
#49c: Zangoose

NORMAL

Zangoose is a single evolution pokémon. Being in some capacity mongoose-based, it has a bitter rivalry with Seviper. Dispite this, the two can mate. Due to its ability, it is either immune to poisoning or has increased attack power when poisoned. It is known for almost being a David Bowe reference.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangoose was introduced in Gen 3 as a Ruby exclusive, found on Route 114. It doesn't have the highest stats, but as said in its analysis at Smogon University, "they are distributed excellently" for dealing massive damage.

Ideal nature: Jolly or Adamant

Recommended moves:
Swords Dance
Return
Close Combat / Brick Break
Quick Attack
Shadow Claw / Shadow Ball / Night Slash

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:33:44 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
Bill was supposed to post this at the beginning of the list. It's like he didn't want people to see it for some reason...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/phQaxixsNNM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/phQaxixsNNM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
#49d: Dugtrio

GROUND

Dugtrio, like Magneton, appears to be merely a grouping of three of its earlier evolution, although it is impossible to say what they look like under the surface. Because in all the years of their existence, through coutless battles, none of them have once been plucked out of the soil—not even when a pokémon uses Seismic Toss on them. Apparently Pokémon Mystery Dungeon revealed that they do have feet, though. That's what it says on Bulbapedia.

Here's on theory:

And here's another:

Dubtrio is known to be able to burrow 60mi underground, which would put it in the mantle of the earth. Doing this creates earthquakes. It is also said that it can burrow at 60MPH, so next time you use Earthquake, wait one hour before performing it, then one hour for Dugtrio to return to the surface for a more realistic play experience.

Dugtrio's main asset is its high speed. This, combined with its passable Attack and Arena Trap ability make it a good revenge killer.

Ideal nature: Jolly

Recommended moves:
Earthquacke
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Shadow Claw
Substitute
Reversal

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:35:15 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
Oh yeah. I completely forgot the video...

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
#49e: Aggron

STEEL / ROCK

Aggron is a gigantic, metal plated tank of a pokemon. It uses its horns to bore tunnels through bedrock. They are aggressive and territorial, patrolling entire mountains that they claim as their own. The eat iron.

Aggron was introduced in Gen 3, and if it has the Heavy Metal ability (Gen 5 only), it is the heaviest non-legendary pokémon. This makes learnig Heavy Slam very effective. It's typing gives it a ridiculous number of resistances and only 3 weaknesses (though two of these are x4 weaknesses). This, combined with its high Attack and very high defence make it quite formidible. With the addition of Head Smash in Gen 4 (which can only be given to Aggron through breeding), Aggron became even more powerful. An Aggron with the Rock Head ability can smash its head against things for massive damage all day and never take recoil damage.

Ideal nature: Adamant or Careful

Recommended moves:
Head Smash
Ice Punch
Heavy Slam
Iron Head
Earthquake
Magnet Rise

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:38:23 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Coragale

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
Missed the best one:

Also, outraged that Aggron is so low. Ultimate badass.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
Missed the best one:

Also, outraged that Aggron is so low. Ultimate badass.

Sorry. I thought I had him on my list.