Author Topic: Loc: Top 54 Fictional Crushes Countdown  (Read 57262 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: Loc: Top 54 Fictional Crushes Countdown
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »

#31 Princess Leia Organa

So...wow, my #6 is at #31?

Rest of the list will be...videogame and Whedonverse characters I guess?

Seeing how the list is shaping up, I'd be very surprised if more than one of my top-ten made it. Not complaining; just didn't expect it to quite the way it has so far. I'd comment on other people's picks, but I honestly have no idea who these people are. Ai Tanabe? Lum Invader? Seriously, no fucking clue.

As for Leia, I thought about it, but decided not to include her because when it comes down to it, I'm not a huge fan of the character. I like her sass, but I just never connected with the character in a meaningful way. I'm glad she made the list, though. Not only is it nice to see the occasional flesh-and-blood person here, but she's an iconic character.

#29 Ramona Flowers

The only Ramona Flowers I'm familiar with is the one from the movie, and while she's easy on the eyes, I didn't find the actual character very appealing.

See, I don't find that attractive in the least. I got no problem with large breasts, but fake tits are disgusting. That's just gross.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

MightyJack

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
#35 Gwen Stacy

Ah Gwen Stacy. It was 1973 - This was back in the days before comics killed people willy nilly and then brought them back just as willy nilly, Gwen was my first major comic book death, and it shattered my heart. I loved Gwen (and she made my list), she was cute and kind hearted and and... and then that damn Goblin!  :'(

My brother, sister and I couldn't believe it. They killed Gwen, how could they do that?  I don't know if I've ever cried reading a comic book, not sure if I did so then. But I might have, I was a seriously grieved young lad. And I would never trust Stan Lee again (j/k  :D

* As for the other parts of the list.... *cough, cough* Equus *cough, cough*

(If Nugget makes this list I'm leaving)

* Paprika just missed the cut on my list. And I'm surprised about Lara
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:49:46 PM by George Harrison »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
To be fair, Stan wasn't writing Spidey anymore when that happened.

That's it for tonight.  Sorry about yesterday's lack of updating, but the internet was down.

Tomorrow: 28-21.  And no more ties.

To give you a hint, #27 turned up some horrifying images before I decided to specify a bit more.  Night-night.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
Seeing how the list is shaping up, I'd be very surprised if more than one of my top-ten made it. Not complaining; just didn't expect it to quite the way it has so far. I'd comment on other people's picks, but I honestly have no idea who these people are. Ai Tanabe? Lum Invader? Seriously, no fucking clue.

Tanabe's from Planetes, a hard sci-fi anime that focuses on character development above all else. As such, she's a very interesting and deep character. I know of Lum Invader, which is from one of those shows by the person who did Ranma 1/2 and Inu-Yasha, but I've never seen the show, nor can I remember the name of it.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »

Tanabe's from Planetes, a hard sci-fi anime that focuses on character development above all else. As such, she's a very interesting and deep character. I know of Lum Invader, which is from one of those shows by the person who did Ranma 1/2 and Inu-Yasha, but I've never seen the show, nor can I remember the name of it.

Thanks, Quirk. The only anime I ever really watched as a series was Bebop. I even had Faye on my initial list, but she didn't make the final cut. I knew that not being super into anime or video games was probably going to put me outside this list's primary demo. Not to mention the only animated characters I have are from the cartoon sitcoms. Oh well, still holding out hope to sneak a couple on here before we're done.

To give you a hint, #27 turned up some horrifying images before I decided to specify a bit more.  Night-night.

Oh my.

MightyJack

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
To be fair, Stan wasn't writing Spidey anymore when that happened.

I know that. But back then Stan was Marvel. Whether he wrote it or not, we saw him as "the decider". The guy who gave thumbs up or down on whatever went on in Marvel's universe. I still loved Stan, but in my 12 year old mind, he was ultimately responsible for breaking my young heart (well, him and the Green Goblin) ;)

Edit: But I loved this quote from Wiki about the behind the scenes decision... "Lee himself agreed because he was "busy packing for a trip" and "just wanted them out of his office", and when he returned he began asking why they killed Gwen."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:34:27 PM by George Harrison »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »
I've always hated Laura Croft. Hopefully the new game will be decent. If they keep with the story the cinematic trailer shows I'll be interested.

Coragale

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
#35 Gwen Stacy

Ah Gwen Stacy. It was 1973 - This was back in the days before comics killed people willy nilly and then brought them back just as willy nilly, Gwen was my first major comic book death, and it shattered my heart. I loved Gwen (and she made my list), she was cute and kind hearted and and... and then that damn Goblin!  :'(

My brother, sister and I couldn't believe it. They killed Gwen, how could they do that?  I don't know if I've ever cried reading a comic book, not sure if I did so then. But I might have, I was a seriously grieved young lad. And I would never trust Stan Lee again.

Gwen was a much better love interest than Mary Jane. I hate her.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »

I keep meaning to get around to watching Planetes. It's slowly moving up my Netflix queue, though they seem reluctant to admit that one of the discs in the middle even exists.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4981
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2012, 12:35:28 AM »

I keep meaning to get around to watching Planetes. It's slowly moving up my Netflix queue, though they seem reluctant to admit that one of the discs in the middle even exists.

My guess would be that they had it, it got broken, and they simply refuse to buy one to replace it.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »

My guess would be that they had it, it got broken, and they simply refuse to buy one to replace it.

Entirely possible and all the more irritating.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 937
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2012, 03:27:36 AM »

Obviously I know who Lum is, since I had her #2. Lum, and Urusei Yatsura are quite well known in Japan.

However, I sure as heck did not expect to see Ai Tanabe. I wouldn't call her a "crush" (this is coming from the person who had Mrs Brisby and Fluttershy on his list). And I haven't been into anime in over 10 years. However, I did watch Planetes, and it is VERY good. Highly recommended, if you can find a copy of it.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »
#35 Gwen Stacy

Ah Gwen Stacy. It was 1973 - This was back in the days before comics killed people willy nilly and then brought them back just as willy nilly, Gwen was my first major comic book death, and it shattered my heart. I loved Gwen (and she made my list), she was cute and kind hearted and and... and then that damn Goblin!  :'(

My brother, sister and I couldn't believe it. They killed Gwen, how could they do that?  I don't know if I've ever cried reading a comic book, not sure if I did so then. But I might have, I was a seriously grieved young lad. And I would never trust Stan Lee again.

Gwen was a much better love interest than Mary Jane. I hate her.

I'm indifferent to her... at least in the comics of the last few decades.  I know I lot of people care about her because she was Spider-Man's wife when they started reading.  But reading the early Spider-Man books, she was a total breath of fresh air.  At the time, it was obvious that Gwen Stacy was the girl for Peter, although Liz Allen kept following him around like a love sick puppy (after a powerless Peter "pretended" to be Spider-Man and stood up to Doc Ock, she was impressed).  But then when Mary Jane showed up (after over a year of Peter trying to avoid a date made by his Aunt and his Aunt's friend) and ultimate sad-sack Peter ends up getting hooked up with an extroverted over-the-top party girl.  She provided a nice contrast to the other girls in Peter's life as well as Peter himself: thrill-seeking, flirty and the life of the party.  Over time, she became a little more generic, which could be attributed to growth (I'm sure there are fans who argue about it) but took away a lot of the character's initial appeal.  Personally, I think that in her first appearance, she had as big a personality as J Jonah Jameson, only somewhat hotter (JK Simmons is not a bad looking man).

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »
Space pirate huh?  Let me see your space booty.

#28 Ryoko

(41 Points) 3 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #6 RoninFox

Appeal:

Very aggressive in combat and in romance.

Bio:

Ryoko is a key character in the various Tenchi Muyo! anime series by AIC. While details of her character differ between the various series, Ryoko is typically shown as an attractive, semi-reformed powerful space pirate who is madly in love with the series main character, Tenchi Masaki. In the various series, Ryoko is portrayed as being impulsive, hedonistic (with a penchant for sake), poor-mannered, often immodest, recklessly violent, and hot-tempered although she sometimes reveals her more emotional and vulnerable side.

In the anime, Ryoko universally holds an intense rivalry with the character Ayeka, who also fights for Tenchi's affections. Often the conflict between the two comes out of their decidedly different personalities, with Ryoko being the tomboyish troublemaker and Ayeka being the well-mannered, but often snooty aristocrat. The level of the rivalry can vary between being equitable to a pair of bickering siblings to an all-out feud.

While the name Ryoko is a common feminine given name in Japan, in this instance it is written with very uncommon kanji. Ryoko's name can be translated as "bringer of demons" and is stated as meaning "The Devil Caller" in the OVA series.

Dislikes:
Being trapped somewhere for 700.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »