login

Author Topic: LOC- The 50 Most Requested Rifftrax of 2012  (Read 27120 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6503
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: LOC- The 50 Most Requested Rifftrax of 2012
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Cool! I love Linkara, he's awesome!
Although to be honest I can do without his cheesy story lines.
Agreed.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
Hey Compound, can I make a suggestion? Pace yourself. It's nice to give people a chance to check shit out and comment on it. Also, the deadline for Fictional Crushes isn't for ten days. We got some time to kill.  :)
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Russell

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Hey Compound, can I make a suggestion? Pace yourself. It's nice to give people a chance to check shit out and comment on it. Also, the deadline for Fictional Crushes isn't for ten days. We got some time to kill.  :)
May I suggest that in the meantime we watch a Time to kill starring Samuel L Jackson?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »
Yay! In the Name of the King made it this year! I really don't know how Uwe Boll has gone this long without a single riff...

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 532
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
Awesome bonus entry, Compound! That's really cool that Linkara responded n' everything.

Here... Have one of these:  :clap:

Watchman

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »
GAME ON!!!

49. Demolition Man - (1993) - 27 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #5 DB Barnes)

I've always thought this would make a good riff. It's so target-rich. Crazy premise, over-the-top acting, ridiculous costumes, plenty of stupid action quips, all kinds of goofy futuristic elements,  and lame attempts at humor. It just seems like they could a field day with it. Stallone, Snipes, Dennis Leary, Rob Schneider, seashells, Taco Bell of the future, new no-touch sex, how could this not turn out well?

This movie already cracks me up, and a majority of the humor is intentional IMO. It's not the biting satire it could've been, the studio watered down the much more acidic & satirical script from Daniel Waters (screenwriter of Heathers in his prime, also brought some twisted stuff to Batman Returns and absurdity to Hudson Hawk, which I'm not ashamed to enjoy). But I think enough of Waters ideas survive to lend the film an intentional absurdity.

The 3 Seashells are riff-proof.

Plus I just have a soft spot for pre-Matrix dystopian sci-fi (or post-Matrix dystopian sci-fi that doesn't copy Matrix action: I'm looking at you Equilibrium).

But as far as dystopian sci-fi goes, are you looking forward to the (alleged) future Logan's Run rifftrax?

Anywho, so far my only entry to make it is Event Horizon. For some reason I left the Michael Bay & Roland Emmerich films off my list this time. I guess the transformers series has worn me out on Bay-riffing. A year or two ago I was a strong advocate for riffing The Island; karmic justice for stealing intellectual property from Parts: The Clonus Horror (which is actually a decent little flick if you watch the un-MST'ed version). But, meh, aside from The Rock, it's the only Bay film that doesn't contain certain Bay-ism that irritate the hell out of me: particularly, characters jabbering or making stupid jokes while havoc is being wrought. Ewan MacGregor & Scarlet Johansen (sp? do I care?) don't say stupid shit while vehicles are being destroyed.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
Okay, here's today's entries!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »

30. The Incredible Hulk - (2008) - 37 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #5 Pak-Man)

Directed by Louis Leterrier
Starring Edward Norton, Liv Tyler and Tim Roth

Place on 11's list: #46
Place on 10's list: #13
Place on 09's list: #9
Place on 08's list: N/A
Last year's #30: I, Robot - (2004)

Synopsis:
"A cure is in reach for the world's most primal force of fury: THE INCREDIBLE HULK. We find scientist Bruce Banner, living in shadows, scouring the planet for an antidote. But the warmongers who dream of abusing his powers won't leave him alone, nor will his need to be with the only woman he has ever loved, Betty Ross. Upon returning to civilization, our brilliant doctor is ruthlessly pursued by The Abomination -- a nightmarish beast of pure adrenaline and aggression whose powers match The Hulk's own. A fight of comic-book proportions ensues as Banner must call upon the hero within to rescue New York City from total destruction. One scientist must make an agonizing final choice -- accept a peaceful life as Bruce Banner or the creature he could permanently become: THE INCREDIBLE HULK."

Up Next:
That's all for today! Tomorrow we tackle #29, a film with double the normal mount of evil twins!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
Aw. No one bit on the joke. Oh well. Back from an errand and the list continues.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

29. Star Trek: Nemesis - (2002) - 37 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #4 Monty)

Directed by Stuart Baird
Starring Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner and Ron Perlman. Plus I'm pretty sure that  Shriekback's lead singer plays Shinzon.

Place on 11's list: #38
Place on 10's list: N/A
Place on 09's list: N/A
Last year's #29: The Island - (2004)

Synopsis:
"In the wake of a joyful wedding between Riker (Jonathan Frakes) and Troi (Marina Sirtis) Picard receives another reason to celebrate: the Romulans want peace and the captain will be the Federation's emissary. But as the Enterprise heads toward the Romulan Empire a brilliant villain awaits - harboring a diabolical plan of destruction and an unimaginable secret that will give Picard his most fearsome challenge."

Up Next:
5th year running for our next entry.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

28. Congo - (1995) - 38 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #7 Gojikranz and StanSimpson)

Directed by Frank Marshall
Starring Laura Linney, Dylan Walsh and Ernie Hudson

Place on 11's list: #23
Place on 10's list: #9
Place on 09's list: #28
Place on 08's list: #47
Last year's #28: Transformers the Animated Movie - (1986)

Synopsis:
"A megalomaniac C.E.O. sends his son into the dangerous African Congo on a quest for a source of diamonds large enough and pure enough to function as powerful laser communications transmitters (or is it laser weapons?). When contact is lost with his son and the team, his sometime daughter- in-law is sent after them. She is a former CIA operative and, accompanied by gee-whiz gadgetry and a few eccentric characters (including a mercenary, a researcher with a talking gorilla, and a nutty Indiana-Jones-type looking for King Solomon's Mines), sets out to rescue her former fiancé. What they all discover is that often what we most want turns out to be the source of our downfall."

Up Next:
Sadly, the theme song is quite incorrect.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:24:21 PM by Compound »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1094
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

28. Congo - (1985) - 38 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #7 Gojikranz and StanSimpson)

I'm pretty sure you got the year wrong. I don't think this movie came out when I was ten.

Congo was a decent book. And they even made a pretty good pinball game out of the movie. However, the movie itself... Well, I'll say this much: it was a much better adaptation of a Michael Crichton book than Sphere (which I just realized I should have put on my list).

EDIT: Ron Perlman was in ST:Nemesis? My memory of that movie must be crappier than I thought.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
But as far as dystopian sci-fi goes, are you looking forward to the (alleged) future Logan's Run rifftrax?

Definitely. I've been looking forward to it since we first heard about it (last July?). Aside from Breaking Dawn, which comes out in ten days, there aren't any likely major releases in the offing. So, maybe we'll get Logan's Run at some point in the next month or so.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »

27. The Poseidon Adventure - (1972) - 38 points
(2 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #5 Monty)

Directed by Ronald Neame
Starring Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine and Shelly Winters

Place on 11's list: #41
Place on 10's list: N/A
Place on 09's list: N/A
Last year's #27: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - (2009)

Synopsis:
"A passenger ship, on her way to the scrap yard is pushed to her limits by the new owners to save on the dismantling fees. A tidal wave hits her, flipping her over so that all the internal rooms are upside down. A priest takes a mixed band of survivors on a journey through the bowels of the ship in an attempt to survive."

Up Next:
This one? Two weeks. Tops.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 01:27:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure you got the year wrong. I don't think this movie came out when I was ten.

Whoops. That's the default year in this year's template. corrected.

EDIT: Ron Perlman was in ST:Nemesis? My memory of that movie must be crappier than I thought.

He's not as noticeable as usual: