login

Author Topic: New B5 update.  (Read 4671 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
New B5 update.
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
They threw up the new Logo on the photos page

And volume 10 of the scriptbook is due on the 28th! Finally.

Offline tgeorgic

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Re: New B5 update.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »
still looking forward to these even tho its just not B5 without j'kar.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Well the deaths of Richard and Andreas are essentially why it isn't a movie and more a direct to DVD series.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
Londo is onboard, just the first 2 stories of Voices in the Dark are about Sheridan, Lochley and Galen. Humans first to get as much set building and modeling covered in the budget.

Offline Trufire

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:40:29 AM »
SWEET! :-D So what exactly is this though lol. Dvd series or just another B5 movie made for tv or what lol Sorry but this is the first time I have heard of this.
"I like me..." Caboose; Red vs Blue

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:06:52 AM »
Essentially direct to DVD themed releases.

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales.

Volume 1 is Voices in the Dark, I will let the man himself describe it.

"This first DVD, entitled "Voices in the Dark," covers the same 72 hour period of time as Sheridan travels on board a Presidential Cruiser en route to Babylon 5 from Minbar for a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Interstellar Alliance. One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno-mage, Galen. The other part of the story is set aboard Babylon 5, as Colonel Lochley summons a priest from Earth space to deal with a problem that may have dark supernatural overtones. The two parts of the greater story intersect at certain key plot and thematic points, so that they overlap and complement each other while telling separate, but simultaneous, stories."

Originally it was to be 3 stories, with a Garibaldi story as number 3, but that would have required a whole new batch of sets again (Mars and such) so they shifted it to the next release (if he's still on board, he took the change fairly badly from the sounds of it) and made the first 2 stories bigger. Not much is known about any stories beyond that, Except the more Alien stories. As mentioned, they went with humans first so they didn't have to include too much alien developement in the initial start up cost, which of course is significant since not much was kept from the original run. I think they mention they do have an original Star Fury cockpit.

The stories could take place whenever, future, past, Valen, Marcus, etc could potentially show up.

B5 isn't being rebuilt exactly, they are going to upgrade the models and stuff, build things to 2007 standards.

It's being filmed with HD Digital Cameras.

One of the companies who do the effects for Battlestar Galactica are onboard for the graphics. Atmosphere Visual Effects and there demo reel is here

Chris Franke is back!

JMS is directing the first ones for the experience and to set the style.

The Scripts will be bundled up and sold like the rest, eventually.

Further releases depend on how well this first one sells
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:10:25 AM by BathTub »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »
I thnk the entire runtime of the DVD was perhaps 4 hours, but the individual stories themselves were closer to 40 minutes. They aren't films, but they also don't have to adhere to TV requirements, the stories will be as long as they need to be. But they are filming plenty of extras.

Offline Trufire

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »
So who is funding and producing all this then? I'm just uber excited about it! Of course I dunno why since I have yet to get the movie DVD package and season's 2-5 on DVD :-P I have watched all episodes on the Sci-Fi channel when they ran through all of them but I am wanting the entire series at my own disposal now. That will take time for a poor college student like myself to get them :-P
"I like me..." Caboose; Red vs Blue

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
Warner Brothers.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 04:07:28 PM »
Apparently slightly spoilerish article on the making of B5 TLT, so I haven't read it much,... but it has pretty pictures.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3971&page=1

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
Sifl 'n Olly, MST3K and Babylon 5
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 04:38:36 AM »
In Babylon 5: The Scripts of J. Michael Straczynski Vol. 10 he talks a little about some of the guests who visited the set during the period covered in the book, mid to late season 4.

After a paragraph on Dilbert's Scott Adams...

"Other notable visitors that season - at least notable to me as Mr. Gleepy Fan-Boy, I don't know about the rest of the world - included Trace Beaulieu, aka Dr. Clayton Forrester from Mystery Science Theater 3000,* and Liam Lynch, who played Olly in the MTV sock Puppet series Sifl 'n Olly. Okay, fine, it's not like a visit from the freaking Queen of England, but Liam's arrival was the only time that week I ventured out of my office and refused to go back in until he'd finished his tour. Trust me, you haven't lived until you've seen Sifl and Olly interviewing the planet Mars.

*Trace would later return the favor by inserting this line into the opening of the MST3K movie: 'Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of Babylon 5' "

It arrived yesterday, it was a good read. I might write up a summary.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
An update from JMS

The new DVD

The B5 DVD has been fully delivered to WB along with finals on all of
the director's blogs, the interviews, and fireside chats. I'd expect
to see them online in a few weeks, one at a time.

The next Script Book

Finally, volume 11 of the script books is about to come out, and I
wanted to let folks know that there won't be any photos or memos in
this volume (well, one memo) because this covers the insane period
between the end of the fourth season and the beginnings of the fifth
season...all of the fireworks, all the twists and turns, much of it
never before revealed in detail, day by day, hour by hour, and in
order to cover all that the introduction/commentary section turned
into the longest one to date, and not by just a little. It's almost
23,000 words long, covering over 70 pages. If you want the skinny on
what happened during those explosive months, this is the definitive
last word on the subject.

Also, because these books are being written in chronological fashion
following the history of the show year by year, we decided to move
Sleeping in Light into this volume...so you get Deconstruction,
Sleeping in Light, and the season 5 debut, No Compromises, and four
others.

The one thing I can promise is that folks are going to be talking
about this volume for a very, very long time...and many things not
previously understood or debated about will be set to rights and
explained, once and for all.

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I blue myself
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
I just hope its better than 'Legend of the Rangers'.

I love Babylon 5 but that was rough.
I've sort of fused Flashdance with MC Hammer shit.

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I blue myself
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 06:21:54 AM »
I just hope its better than 'Legend of the Rangers'.

I love Babylon 5 but that was rough.

I didn't see this, but Crusade was kind of a stinkfest.  So was most of Season 5 of B5, to be fair, though.

Well, after season 4, season 5 had to be a let down.  It was pretty much one long wind down.  All the major stories were wrapped up since they thought they were being canceled after season 4.

As for Crusade, I enjoyed it.  I thought it had a lot of potential (While there was a 5 year arc for the show, I heard the plague was going to be cured sometime in season 3).  After reading the techomage trilogy that focused on Galen, I think there was a lot of cool stuff to be done with him that we missed out on.  Although looking at the IMDB page for the new movie I see that Galen is a member of the cast.  Then there was the apocalypse box, which will remain a mystery.
I've sort of fused Flashdance with MC Hammer shit.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »
Yes the first volume, is Sheirdan, Lochley and Galen.

Need to be careful not to overplay the changes caused by transition, storywise they weren't that great. Sheridan being captured would have been the end of season 4, Ivanova would have been the one to fall in love with Byron if she had stayed. The book being released today deals exactly with this change over from WB to TNT, it should be a particularly good read. The rest have all been interesting.