Poll

Which is the better cinematic medium?

Video Games
3 (13%)
Movies
20 (87%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Video Games Vs. Movies: FIGHT!  (Read 12197 times)

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
Re: Video Games Vs. Movies: FIGHT!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
I think the next evolution in entertainment will be a cross between Video Games and Movies. Yes, giving the observer the opportunity to take part in the adventure is the next step,

you mean like  Night Trap?

heheh
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:45:48 PM by davo »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3934
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »
No. Nothing like Night Trap for me, thanks. ;^)

There's also the immersive quality that you get with a video game that you don't get in a movie. Because you're making the choices and performing the actions, you're more "in the story" than you would be watching a movie. Say you're watching a Horror movie and there's a room full of Zombies. Our hapless hero decides he/she needs to go into the room full of Zombies to accomplish some goal. You can watch and think, "I'd never do that!" and you're a seperate character from the hero. Play a video game with the same situation, and YOU make the choice to go into that room full of zombies because it's the only way you can win. You move your character to the door, you push the button to let him/her in. You deal with the consequences.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »

Actually, it's not much of a choice if you have to go into the room full of zombies to win. I mean, the entire point of the videogame is to win, right? So you still don't have a choice. Not unless you choose to turn off the videogame and never touch it again. But then the same is true for movies. You can turn it off and not watch it again.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3934
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
Right but if you're making the choice to go into the room of zombies, even if the game is making you do it, you understand why you're going into the room of zombies. If you're watching a movie, you might think the character is doing something stupid. When you're in the character's shoes, you're forced to make the decision and forced to have that understanding. The decision that the game forces on you becomes YOUR decision. :^)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »

Ah, but is it not scarier if you DON'T know what's going to happen, or know why the characters are doing what they're doing? The lack of control works for a horror movie, at least.

I, for one, like being the casual observer instead of actively participating.

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »
The Final Fantasy series, I think, is the closest we have to a game matching a movie.  Those games have great cinematic production plus great game play.  I think you could just watch the cutscenes and still be entertained.  Some of the horror games are also pretty good at story telling. 

I guess I agree with both sides but I voted movies.  We're not there yet with video games but we will be.  That's one thing that's disappointing about the Wii.  They kind of slacked on the graphics which is going to hold them back from moving in that direction as much.  They've always been graphic slackers though.

Hmm, Final fantasy (and other RPGs) have the cinematic makings of movies. Actually, I'd say the Xenosaga series has the FF series beat when it comes to movie-length cinematics and depth....

But for the most part, only certain game series have plots worth mentioning. For my money, the best so far BY FAR are the Metal Gear Solid games....they're simply masterpieces of cool storytelling

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »
Here I am, ranting about how great video games are for telling stories, and I bought a wii because "Hey!  That looks really fun.  Looks like they are trying to get back to what video games really should be, fun to play."  So yeah, I agree with everyone that video games have not surpassed movies in story telling yet, but I voted for video games because I believe they will in the future.  Heck, they could now If they let me make a video game. 

how are you gonna right a PAGE long explanation about how i am wrong then negate it two posts later lol  not fair man, im lucky i didnt read the first one too closely.  Look like i said, some game are better than some movie, but games tend to be pigeon holed into a very few genres so to speak, where is the romantic comedy of video games.  im not saying that games can be better than movies im just saying GENERALLY right now they arent.  the other problem is i dont like comparing two separate mediums to each other.  They both have differences.

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 06:54:33 PM »
Romantic comedy of video games?? Hmmm...

I really hope that doesn't happen

• Compsognathus
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 06:55:25 PM »
but unless that sort of thing does happen then it means video games are kinda limited in what they can show. 

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »
but unless that sort of thing does happen then it means video games are kinda limited in what they can show. 

I think your point is well-put...I don't think games will deliver an interesting "comedy" or "romantic comedy" or even "drama" type story...not to say games don't have those elements from time to time. But that's not why people really play games...maybe excepting the Sims..but man I definitely don't get that...

But then again, nintendo, in its various systems, has been going in all kinds of wacky directions...like now, video games can be like cooking shows...yeesh

• Compsognathus
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »
i dunno i always thought of earthworm jim as a comedy, the lost vikings too. 

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »
Leisure Suit Larry kinda told a story and it's a romantic comedy, well, sorta.  A pervy comedy anyway  ;)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1796
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
Earthbound is also a comedy.  But that's more of a farce. 

I used to hate comparing two mediums as well.  But if you define what you are comparing, it can be done  You just have to ask the proper questions.  If you ask, 'which medium has the potential to create stories with more of an impact on the veiwer?', then I would say video games, for the reasons I've listed and ones Pak has.  Though I would never say one medium is better than another.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 09:31:28 AM »
i still think as of NOW that video games are too limited in what they can present, they will get there though. 

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »
Earthbound is also a comedy.  But that's more of a farce. 

Yes, earthbound did not take itself seriously, but I'd scarcely call it a "comedy," a lot of Japanese games give you something to laugh about, but rarely did I bust a gut playing that one..