login

Author Topic: List of Crap 54: Top 63 Second Bananas Countdown  (Read 40199 times)

shodan

Re: List of Crap 54: Top 63 Second Bananas Countdown
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
29 – Ford Prefect

34 points             
3 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #12 CJones

i thought Mos Def made a pretty funny ford.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
25 – Harley Quinn

39 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #7 Johnny Unusual

Sycophancy Level: 8/10
Harley Quinn (Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel) was first introduced as a villain on September 11, 1992, in the animated series Batman: The Animated Series, later adapted into DC Comics' Batman comic books. As suggested by her name (a play on the word "harlequin"), she is clad in the manner of a traditional harlequin jester. The character is a frequent accomplice and the girlfriend of Batman's nemesis the Joker, and is also close to Poison Ivy, from whom she gained her immunity to poisons and toxins, as well as her advanced physical abilities.

The character was created by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm and was originally voiced by Arleen Sorkin in Batman: The Animated Seriesand its tie-ins. The character was portrayed by Hynden Walch on The Batman television series. In the Birds of Prey TV series (and sorry for reminding you that it existed), she was portrayed by actress Mia Sara, and by Sherilyn Fenn in the pilot episode. Throughout her portrayals, she is shown to speak with a pronounced Brooklyn accent.

IGN's 2009 list of the Top 100 Comic Book Villains of All Time ranked Harley Quinn as #45.

Harley Quinn first appeared in the Batman: The Animated Series episode "Joker's Favor", as what was originally supposed to be the animated equivalent of a walk-on role; a number of police officers were to be taken hostage by someone jumping out of a cake, and it was decided that to have the Joker do so himself would be too bizarre (although he ended up doing so anyway). Dini thus created a female sidekick for the Joker. Arleen Sorkin, a former star of the soap opera Days of our Lives, appeared in a dream sequence on that series in which she wore a jester costume; Dini used this scene as an inspiration for Quinn. Having been friends with Sorkin since college, he incorporated aspects of her personality into the character.

The 1994 graphic novel Mad Love recounts the character's origin. Told in the style and continuity of Batman: The Animated Series and written and drawn by Dini and Timm, the comic book describes Harley as an Arkham Asylum psychiatrist who falls for the Joker and becomes his accomplice and on-off sidekick/lover. The story received wide praise and won the Eisner and Harvey Awards for Best Single Issue Comic of the Year. The New Batman Adventures series adapted Mad Love as the episode of the same name in 1999, making it the second "animated style" comic book adapted for the series (the other was Holiday Knights).

She becomes fascinated with the Joker while interning at Arkham, and volunteers to analyze him. She falls hopelessly in love nearly instantly with the Joker during their sessions, and she helps him escape from the asylum more than once. When the Joker is returned to Arkham after a battle with Batman, the sight of her badly injured patient drives Harley to don the costume and become Harley Quinn, the Joker's sidekick and on/off girlfriend. She later becomes fast friends with Poison Ivy, who injects her with antitoxins to give her the same immunity to poisons she has (which explains why she is not affected whenever the Joker releases his lethal laughing gas).

Torgo the White’s Annual Progress Report

She and Bob the Goon are both vying for the Joker’s heart.  Both are also sadly convinced they are the only ones to bed the Joker.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6_vtn_gv1QM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6_vtn_gv1QM</a>

Russell

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »
25 – Harley Quinn

39 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #7 Johnny Unusual
Ah-hah! At least now if Anais is that disturbed about the presence of Harley on this list she can't really blame me anymore, she can blame Johnny Unusual... and me.

shodan

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
moi aussi.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:44:22 PM by Shodan一心流 »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
24 – Gromit

39 points             
5 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #5 Shodan

Sycophancy Level: 5/10
Gromit is Wallace's pet dog. His birthday is 12 February. Gromit graduated from "Dogwarts University" ('Dogwarts' being a pun on 'Hogwarts', the wizard school from the Harry Potter books) with a double first in Engineering for Dogs. He likes knitting, reading the newspaper, and cooking. His prized possessions include his alarm clock, bone, brush, and a framed photo of himself with Wallace. He is also very handy with electronic equipment and an excellent aeroplane pilot. Though not mentioned a lot but according to Wallace or any other person he is a beagle.

Gromit is one of the two main protagonists and has no visible mouth and he does not express himself with spoken words, but his facial expressions and body language speak volumes. Original plans were that Peter Hawkins was going to voice him, but Nick dropped the idea of it when he realized how clear Gromit's expressions could be just through small movements. Many critics believe that Gromit's silence makes him the perfect straight man with a pantomime expressiveness that drew favourable comparisons to Buster Keaton. He does at times make dog-like noises, such as yelps and growling. Nick Park says: "We are a nation of dog-lovers and so many people have said: 'My dog looks at me just like Gromit does!'" Gromit enjoys eating "KornFlakes" and reading many books, including The Republic, by Pluto (a nod to the Disney character of the same name and a pun on Plato); Crime and Punishment, by Fido Dogstoyevsky (a pun on Fyodor Dostoyevsky); and a "how-to" guide entitled, Electronics for Dogs. In A Matter of Loaf and Death, a copy of Pup fiction is seen in the bin, a pun on Pulp Fiction. He also listens to Bach, knits, and solves puzzles with ease.

Sometimes, Gromit refuses to take (or simply ignores) Wallace's orders such as in A Close Shave and Shopper 13 wherein Wallace orders him to get rid of Shaun, but Gromit does not.
On 1 April 2007, HMV announced that Gromit would stand in for Nipper for a three month period, promoting children's DVDs in its UK stores.

NASA has named one of its new prototype Mars explorer robots after Gromit.

Unlike his master, Gromit has only had one love interest: Fluffles, a poodle and pet to Piella. Fluffles does not share her mistress's hatred of bakers and joined Wallace and Gromit delivering bread at the end of A Matter of Loaf and Death. At the end of it, she is seen with Gromit making a delivery, while listening to "Puppy Love".

In 2010, Empire Magazine placed Gromit first in their list of "The 50 best animated movie characters" Gromit beat such characters as Homer Simpson, Wall-E and Woody from Toy Story to the top spot. Empire wrote that; "Gromit doesn't ever say a word, but there has never been a more expressive character (animated or otherwise) to grace our screens."

No other animal at the Second Banana resume has had more jobs on his resume than Gromit.  Also, he’s a dog with a resume.  That’s not common.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jvOTsi3i64" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5jvOTsi3i64</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
23 – Igor

40 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #6 Shodan

Sycophancy Level: 8/10
Igor (pronounced "eye-gore") is the fictional hunchback assistant of Dr. Frederick Frankenstein in the 1974 film Young Frankenstein and its 2007 musical adaptation.

Igor wants to follow in his grandfather's footsteps and live up to the legacy of hunchbacks throughout history who have served the Frankenstein family. Sadly, his desire to serve his new master is not always matched by a sufficient amount of practical know-how.

In the original film, the character is the lab assistant Herr Falkstein assigned to Dr. Frederick Frankenstein. When he meets the Doctor, he takes it as a given that he will work for him. ("My grandfather used to work for your grandfather... of course, the rates have gone up.")

Marty Feldman would add another comic twist to his character, by deliberately swapping which side the hump on his back was located; whenever Doctor Frankenstein asked him about it, he would reply simply: "What hump?"

Someone asked why his eyes weren’t fixed in heaven.  He asked: “what’s wrong with my eyes.”  I don’t get it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIA4A3QRWCE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vIA4A3QRWCE</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »
22 – Hank Kingsley

44 points             
2 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #4 Cole Stratton, DB Barnes

Sycophancy Level: 4/10
Hank Kingsley (born Henry Joseph Lepstein Jr.), played by Jeffrey Tambor, is the announcer and sidekick on The Larry Sanders Show. He was known for his "Hey now!" catchphrase, a takeoff on Ed McMahon's "Hi-yoooo!" His father was Henry Joseph Kingsley, Sr., and he was married to and divorced from Margaret Dolan.

Though Hank and Larry Sanders are both highly narcissistic, in general each one acts as a foil to the other. Where Larry is neurotic and evasive, Hank is open and (typically) genial. Unlike Larry, Hank is more than willing to lend his name to commercial products and tries to cultivate a cult of personality through his little-read newsletters, fan club, and so on. Hank tends to be dense and is frequently the butt of the jokes of others without realizing it.

He is generally disrespected among his co-workers because of his ego and dimness. Hank will often act humble and unassuming, especially on camera or in front of media executives and other influential persons; however, he is condescending and often quite nasty to anyone whom he perceives to be "below" him in status. Hank spends considerable time focused on furthering his career, often endorsing questionable products and working behind Larry's back to ensure his enduring presence on the show, even when Larry is being scrutinized.

A running gag in the series involved Hank sending his assistant to tell Larry that he would like to speak with him, only to then approach Larry asking "You wanted to see me?"

He is summarily described by producer Artie, who says that Hank means well, but that "he keeps his brain at home in a box."

Hangs out in the couch fields with so many other talk show sidekicks.  People are kind of creeped out by the way he sits where another person just sat.  I think he enjoys the body heat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D89eOYo0kpw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D89eOYo0kpw</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
21 – Luigi

44 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #7 Shodan

Sycophancy Level: 4/10
Luigi (ルイージ Ruīji?) is a fictional character, featured in video games and related media released by Nintendo. Created by prominent game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, Luigi is portrayed as the slightly younger fraternal twin brother of Nintendo's mascot Mario, and appears in many games throughout the Mario series, frequently as a sidekick or deuteragonist to his brother.

Luigi first appeared in the 1983 arcade game Mario Bros. as the character controlled by the second player, and retained this role in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and other titles. The first game where he was available as a primary character wasSuper Mario Bros. 2. In more recent appearances, Luigi's role became increasingly restricted to spinoffs such as the Mario Party and Mario Kart series, though he has been featured in a starring role on two occasions: first in the 1991 educational game Mario is Missing, later in Luigi's Mansion for the Nintendo GameCube in 2001 and in Luigi's Mansion 2 for the 3DS. In both of these games, he is called upon to act as the hero because Mario, the usual hero within the franchise, is in need of rescue. Luigi has also appeared in every episode of the three DiCTV series based on the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System games.

Originally developed as a palette swap of Mario with a green color scheme instead of red, Luigi has since developed a personality and style of his own. As his role in the Mario series progressed, Luigi evolved into a physically distinct character, taller and thinner than his brother. Although as kindhearted as Mario, Luigi is portrayed as timid and sometimes cowardly, especially in the presence of ghosts or when faced with seemingly impossible tasks to accomplish.

Still feels a little bitter about missing out on Mario 64, but he’s certainly happier that he can jump higher than Mario.  No, I swear he can, really.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tipJDjeKuY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_tipJDjeKuY</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
And that's it for tonight.  Tomorrow we get to some big names and what I'm certain will be a very controversial entry (it certainly is to me) and a couple possible small controversies (or not, depends on how much people care).  Have a good night.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1185
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
29 – Ford Prefect

34 points             
3 of 15 lists   

Yeah, I liked Mos Def's Ford too. I fully expected to hate him as Ford, but I really didn't. Unfortunately there wasn't much else I liked about that movie.

I almost didn't include Ford on my list. I wasn't sure if he counted as a second banana or not. Even though Arthur's the main character, Ford is the one who actually knows what he's doing. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think of him. I'm pretty sure I've read HHGttG more times than any other book (although Restaurant at the End of the Universe was actually my favorite of the series).

And finally, as a long LONG time video gamer, I'm ashamed I didn't think of Luigi.

shodan

« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
29 – Ford Prefect

34 points             
3 of 15 lists   

Yeah, I liked Mos Def's Ford too. I fully expected to hate him as Ford, but I really didn't. Unfortunately there wasn't much else I liked about that movie.

I almost didn't include Ford on my list. I wasn't sure if he counted as a second banana or not. Even though Arthur's the main character, Ford is the one who actually knows what he's doing. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think of him. I'm pretty sure I've read HHGttG more times than any other book (although Restaurant at the End of the Universe was actually my favorite of the series).

And finally, as a long LONG time video gamer, I'm ashamed I didn't think of Luigi.
i think the towel was the sidekick technically.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2011, 02:38:03 AM »
20 – Ernest Penfold

46 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #8 Pak Man

Sycophancy Level: 5/10
Penfold is a timid, bespectacled hamster, basically Danger Mouse's reluctant assistant. Though often mistaken for a mole his identity as a hamster was confirmed directly by the show's creator Brian Cosgrove on the 20th of January 2011 following numerous public complaints to the UK quiz show "The Chase" which did not offer mole as part of its multiple choice answers.  References to Penfold being a hamster occur multiple times through episodes and in the closing narration of the episode "The Trouble with Ghosts" it is asked if Penfold will "get the worst dressed hamster award again this year?" Penfold stands just over half the height of Danger Mouse, and always wears thick round glasses and a crumpled blue suit with a white shirt and a yellow and black striped tie. He is the sidekick of Danger Mouse, whom he calls "Chief".

He is a coward (known as the Jigsaw as he goes to pieces when a problem occurs), becoming terrified at any sign of danger. He appears in every episode accompanying Danger Mouse, and he is often captured or getting himself into other dangerous situations before needing to be rescued by Danger Mouse. His main catchphrase is "Crumbs, DM!" and others include "Ooh-eck!", "Ooh-Fiddle!" and "Ooh-Carrots!", all said when things go wrong. He also says "Coming, Chief!" when Danger Mouse wants to speak with him. Nevertheless, he appears to have some moral fibre, and is willing to resist Evil when things begin to go wrong—at least temporarily. He is a self-proclaimed expert in the martial art referred to in the cartoon as "kung moggie", though his skills do not do him much good in practice. He almost always makes ridiculous responses, whether by misunderstanding or mistaking as a joke, to which DM tells him to "shush".

Luckily, there’s not a lot of scary stuff in second banana heaven.  Except when the next guy comes to town.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YhG2cYduI3E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YhG2cYduI3E</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2011, 02:43:11 AM »
19 – Darth Vader

48 points             
2 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #1 Gunflyer

Sycophancy Level: 2/10
If you don’t know who Darth Vader, I can’t help you.

He keeps saying, “oh, uh, sure, I’m a sidekick.  I have an old man boss or something.”  But he’s really just there to pick on second bananas named Torgo.  Dick.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R55e-uHQna0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/R55e-uHQna0</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2011, 02:46:40 AM »
18 – Robin

48 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #1 Shodan

Sycophancy Level: 6/10
Robin is the name of several fictional characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics, originally created by Bob Kane, Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson, as a junior counterpart to DC Comics superhero Batman. The team of Batman and Robin is commonly referred to as the Dynamic Duo or the Caped Crusaders.

The first incarnation of the character, Dick Grayson, debuted in Detective Comics #38 (April 1940). Conceived as a vehicle to attract young readership, Robin garnered overwhelmingly positive critical reception, doubling the sales of the Batman related comic books.  The early adventures of Robin included Star Spangled Comics #65-130 (1947–1952), which was the character's first solo feature. As Robin, Dick Grayson made regular appearances in Batman related comic books and other DC Comics publications from 1940 through the early 1980s until the character set aside the Robin identity and became the independent superhero Nightwing.

Following the retirement of Dick Grayson as Robin, a new version of the character, Jason Todd, debuted in Batman #357 (1983). The new character made regular appearances in Batman related comic books until 1988, when the character was murdered by the Joker in A Death in the Family (1989). Jason would later find himself alive after a reality changing incident, eventually becoming the Red Hood.

The premiere Robin limited series was published in 1991, featuring the third incarnation of the character, Tim Drake, training to earn the role of Batman's junior partner. Following two successful sequels, the monthly Robin ongoing series began in 1993 and ended in early 2009, which also helped Robin's transition from sidekick to a superhero in his own right.

After the forced retirement of Tim Drake (by his father) as Robin, Drake's on-and-off girlfriend, and an established DC Comics character named Stephanie Brown (alternatively known as the Spoiler) became the fourth incarnation of Robin and the first in-continuity female version of the character. However, shortly after her acquisition of the Robin mantle, Stephanie was stripped of the identity by Batman and was apparently killed by the supervillain Black Mask in the crossover Batman: War Games (2004). It has since been revealed that her death was a ruse and she eventually returned to resume her previous identity before becoming the sixth Batgirl. Following the "death" of Stephanie, the Tim Drake character reclaimed his former role as Robin, the Boy Wonder.

In the final issue of Battle for the Cowl, Bruce Wayne's son, Damian Wayne becomes the new Robin after rescuing Tim from death, with Grayson becoming the new Batman. Tim Drake later takes on the identity of Red Robin.

You never want to be stuck in a conversation with 2 Robins.  All they do is complain about Batman and then when you way in, they suddenly get so defensive about him.  YOU JUST CAN’T WIN!

I’m doing a twofer for this one.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xhMyaakco2Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xhMyaakco2Y</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUwRY_3Pnyg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SUwRY_3Pnyg</a>

Russell

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
20 – Ernest Penfold

46 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #8 Pak Man
Heh! I never expected him to make the top 25. I am pleasantly surprised.  ;D