Author Topic: Grammar WHO CARES?  (Read 83492 times)

Danecho1967

Re: Grammar WHO CARES?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
There were several run-on sentences in that thesaurus exercise you posted.
I could have written that entire thing as a run-on sentence.  I'm really bad about that.  It's part of the reason I try to proofread anything at least twice before posting.

On a more general note, I think the real question here is, "just how good does our grammar have to be to fit this forum's basic standards?"

shodan

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
Also yeah many people believe that knowledge = intelligence.  They are wrong.  
Be that as it may....
intelligence, knowledge, wisdom  and reason form the foundation of most thought and are interrelated in many ways but they are separate entities and the presence of one does not necessitate the presence of the other, though sometimes one is found through one or more of the other
I would add formal education to this list as well.  There is an odd assumption that, if someone does not have a formal higher education, then they will necessarily be ignorant on most subjects.  I went to college and learned a lot about computers, and nothing about history.  Today, by educating myself, I think I know more about history than I ever did about computers.  But I run into people who turn up their noses about self-education.  What you know is just as valid if you learned it in your living room as if you learned it in a college classroom.
I agree. And as for "tossing around big words and sounding like a moron" alright then, thats your view, so take what you will out of what I say, but do not condemn others or myself because we choose otherwise. If I so choose I can have a master's level command of the English language and its constituent rules of grammar, but here, in a informal forum I have abstained for I have not in the past found it necessary to speak formally, with the full command of my vocabulary  and ability because this is not how I speak with those I am comfortable with, meaning those I deem to be friends at best and friendly acquaintances at worst. So as to prove myself otherwise now, I will afford you  a list of the achievements my writing ability has  awarded me: a Presidential Grant to put towards the school of my choice, it helped me obtain my black-belt as there was a portion of the process in which, to be internationally recognized as a black belt, I had to submit an essay to several grandmasters to be reviewed, and it allowed me to score a 100 % on the reading and writing portion of my SAT's as well as a score of 5 on my English AP's. This is what has come out of my ability to be comprehended and understood. It did not occur to me in first posting on this forum that there were those that would judge the capacity of my mind to think and reason on the structure and forms of my words, ignoring the structure and forms of the ideas behind them. So go ahead and insult me then for the choice I have made to be informal, for i believe such a formality sounds pompous and arrogant and conveys disrespect and condescension to the reader when interpreted at face value. I do so  out of respect, not a lack thereof.  I take comfort in the fact that I know better, and so to do those that would look deeper into what i say.

By the way, this only emphasizes the point I was making -- you can use all the big words you want and make all the claims in the world to back up your intelligence. The fact of the matter is that your posts still don't make sense because your sentence structure, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammar blow.
And I could be as precise as possible in the attempt to get my point across but to those that are convinced otherwise it would still fall on deaf ears because their conviction would be as wax and fill them in stead of my words.

jasimon1

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Be that as it may....
intelligence, knowledge, wisdom  and reason form the foundation of most thought and are interrelated in many ways but they are separate entities and the presence of one does not necessitate the presence of the other, though sometimes one is found through one or more of the other
I would add formal education to this list as well.  There is an odd assumption that, if someone does not have a formal higher education, then they will necessarily be ignorant on most subjects.  I went to college and learned a lot about computers, and nothing about history.  Today, by educating myself, I think I know more about history than I ever did about computers.  But I run into people who turn up their noses about self-education.  What you know is just as valid if you learned it in your living room as if you learned it in a college classroom.
I agree. And as for "tossing around big words and sounding like a moron" alright then, thats your view, so take what you will out of what I say, but do not condemn others or myself because we choose otherwise. If I so choose I can have a master's level command of the English language and its constituent rules of grammar, but here, in a informal forum I have abstained for I have not in the past found it necessary to speak formally, with the full command of my vocabulary  and ability because this is not how I speak with those I am comfortable with, meaning those I deem to be friends at best and friendly acquaintances at worst. So as to prove myself otherwise now, I will afford you  a list of the achievements my writing ability has  awarded me: a Presidential Grant to put towards the school of my choice, it helped me obtain my black-belt as there was a portion of the process in which, to be internationally recognized as a black belt, I had to submit an essay to several grandmasters to be reviewed, and it allowed me to score a 100 % on the reading and writing portion of my SAT's as well as a score of 5 on my English AP's. This is what has come out of my ability to be comprehended and understood. It did not occur to me in first posting on this forum that there were those that would judge the capacity of my mind to think and reason on the structure and forms of my words, ignoring the structure and forms of the ideas behind them. So go ahead and insult me then for the choice I have made to be informal, for i believe such a formality sounds pompous and arrogant and conveys disrespect and condescension to the reader when interpreted at face value. I do so  out of respect, not a lack thereof.  I take comfort in the fact that I know better, and so to do those that would look deeper into what i say.

By the way, this only emphasizes the point I was making -- you can use all the big words you want and make all the claims in the world to back up your intelligence. The fact of the matter is that your posts still don't make sense because your sentence structure, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammar blow.
And I could be as precise as possible in the attempt to get my point across but to those that are convinced otherwise it would still fall on deaf ears because their conviction would be as wax and fill them in stead of my words.

I feel like all your posts should start with "Confucius says..."

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
Be that as it may....

I feel like all your posts should start with "Confucius says..."

:D  :D  :D  :D
Bonhead #2
fs!!

shodan

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
and thats why i dont like writing formally. because of that whole Confucius says thing. and i get defensive when i  express what i mean, meaning what i said initially about knowledge and wisdom etc. and then someone turns around and calls me a moron who uses big words. for the longest time i was the nerdy kid who always had his nose in some book or other and for 11 years i was bullied. i dont tolerate it now.

Danecho1967

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
It's pretty much turning into a "bash shodan" thread.  

For my part, as a guy who has been on a number of forums (even going back to USENET back in the day), I can say, "I've read worse."  Much worse.

shodan

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
It's pretty much turning into a "bash shodan" thread.  

For my part, as a guy who has been on a number of forums (even going back to USENET back in the day), I can say, "I've read worse."  Much worse.
bash away. I'm used to it. I made my stand and said what i have to say and if thats how people choose to react then so be it.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »
There were several run-on sentences in that thesaurus exercise you posted.
I could have written that entire thing as a run-on sentence.  I'm really bad about that.  It's part of the reason I try to proofread anything at least twice before posting.

On a more general note, I think the real question here is, "just how good does our grammar have to be to fit this forum's basic standards?"

It's actually not about conforming to this forum's standards, or to mine, or Doctor Who?'s stringent criteria, or anyone's, really. It's simply this: You can make any kind of statement you want, but if it's just one long run on sentence with no capitalization or punctuation, you're not going to be understood or taken seriously. That's the truth whether you like it or not. Contrary to one person's opinion, I never said, "You have to do it this way or I will murder you in your sleep!" It's just an FYI. Listen, dude, you sound like a moron. Just thought you'd like to know. That's all. Bitches get all defensive, I swear.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

jasimon1

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
and thats why i dont like writing formally. because of that whole Confucius says thing. and i get defensive when i  express what i mean, meaning what i said initially about knowledge and wisdom etc. and then someone turns around and calls me a moron who uses big words. for the longest time i was the nerdy kid who always had his nose in some book or other and for 11 years i was bullied. i dont tolerate it now.

The point is though that you're just using too many words in most cases. There was no need for "because their conviction would be as wax and fill them in stead of my words.". Falling on deaf ears says it all. Adding all the extra words that aren't needed makes it appear that you're adding them to look more intelligent when it actually has the opposite effect.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »

I think there's a significant difference between writing "formally" and employing a few very basic rules of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
Be that as it may....
I agree. And as for "tossing around big words and sounding like a moron" alright then, thats your view, so take what you will out of what I say, but do not condemn others or myself because we choose otherwise. If I so choose I can have a master's level command of the English language and its constituent rules of grammar, but here, in a informal forum I have abstained for I have not in the past found it necessary to speak formally, with the full command of my vocabulary  and ability because this is not how I speak with those I am comfortable with, meaning those I deem to be friends at best and friendly acquaintances at worst. So as to prove myself otherwise now, I will afford you  a list of the achievements my writing ability has  awarded me: a Presidential Grant to put towards the school of my choice, it helped me obtain my black-belt as there was a portion of the process in which, to be internationally recognized as a black belt, I had to submit an essay to several grandmasters to be reviewed, and it allowed me to score a 100 % on the reading and writing portion of my SAT's as well as a score of 5 on my English AP's. This is what has come out of my ability to be comprehended and understood. It did not occur to me in first posting on this forum that there were those that would judge the capacity of my mind to think and reason on the structure and forms of my words, ignoring the structure and forms of the ideas behind them. So go ahead and insult me then for the choice I have made to be informal, for i believe such a formality sounds pompous and arrogant and conveys disrespect and condescension to the reader when interpreted at face value. I do so  out of respect, not a lack thereof.  I take comfort in the fact that I know better, and so to do those that would look deeper into what i say.

The flip side of that is I could claim that your failure to understand the big words and the general point of the post proves how stupid you are.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
Be that as it may....
I agree. And as for "tossing around big words and sounding like a moron" alright then, thats your view, so take what you will out of what I say, but do not condemn others or myself because we choose otherwise. If I so choose I can have a master's level command of the English language and its constituent rules of grammar, but here, in a informal forum I have abstained for I have not in the past found it necessary to speak formally, with the full command of my vocabulary  and ability because this is not how I speak with those I am comfortable with, meaning those I deem to be friends at best and friendly acquaintances at worst. So as to prove myself otherwise now, I will afford you  a list of the achievements my writing ability has  awarded me: a Presidential Grant to put towards the school of my choice, it helped me obtain my black-belt as there was a portion of the process in which, to be internationally recognized as a black belt, I had to submit an essay to several grandmasters to be reviewed, and it allowed me to score a 100 % on the reading and writing portion of my SAT's as well as a score of 5 on my English AP's. This is what has come out of my ability to be comprehended and understood. It did not occur to me in first posting on this forum that there were those that would judge the capacity of my mind to think and reason on the structure and forms of my words, ignoring the structure and forms of the ideas behind them. So go ahead and insult me then for the choice I have made to be informal, for i believe such a formality sounds pompous and arrogant and conveys disrespect and condescension to the reader when interpreted at face value. I do so  out of respect, not a lack thereof.  I take comfort in the fact that I know better, and so to do those that would look deeper into what i say.

The flip side of that is I could claim that your failure to understand the big words and the general point of the post proves how stupid you are.

I understood all of those words. Did you? I just found many of them unnecessary.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

anais.jude

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
We should sooooo start a new thread: The who will Doc Who attack next thread.

Seriously, Doc LEAVE WURWOLF ALONE...I just got back from Mexico and I will cut a bitch

PS: That was TOTALLY a joke....maybe

shodan

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Be that as it may....

We should sooooo start a new thread: The who will Doc Who attack next thread.

Seriously, Doc LEAVE WURWOLF ALONE...I just got back from Mexico and I will cut a bitch

PS: That was TOTALLY a joke....maybe
Yea doc, thanks for the sentiment, but my words don't need to be defended, they are what they are, and what is taken from them is a personal choice. dont sweat it, i dont want any knife fights to come out of this.... anyway anais could kick your ass. ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:16:35 PM by shodan »

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
I understood all of those words. Did you? I just found many of them unnecessary.

I like big words because I'm lazy. I'd rather just say that something was perfunctory as opposed to saying that it was something that I do from day to day, but not something into which I put a whole lot of thought.