login

Author Topic: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?  (Read 47482 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
live long and prosper.\\ //

Peace, brother.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
I have not seen Community as I already watch enough TV and do not feel like started back on another show from the beginning.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
I have not seen Community as I already watch enough TV and do not feel like started back on another show from the beginning.

It's worth looking into, Bobbo. I'm not saying you would have that "holy shit! why have I not been watching Breaking Bad" moment, but  there is some fantastic television being made here.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2011, 06:58:48 AM »
Hey Lucas... sometimes I get a bit snarky when I post. I blame my raging alcoholism. No hard feelings. 

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
Hey Lucas... sometimes I get a bit snarky when I post. I blame my raging alcoholism. No hard feelings. 

I blame everything on my raging alcoholism. It's like a big, warm, whiskey-breath hug whenever you need it.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »

No hard feelings.  When I'm past my limits I take things very literally, so might very well have intensified things somewhat myself.  [I'm still not 'back to normal' yet, as things have happened to keep me past my limits much of this week... hence my not getting back to this until now.]

It would be fascinating to hear your take given these preconceived notions you've laid out.

Well, now that I've had a chance to get the first DVD of the first season from NetFlix and see the first seven episodes, I'll oblige.  :)

I must say, TheUnabeefer, your description was flawless for how the series 'plays'!  I like that these very independent characters learn how to work together and strengthen each other in the process, and that the majority of the 'glorified' core humor is not at others' expense.  And, while there were times I found it quite amusing (especially in the Halloween episode with the Asperger's character as Batman), the number of times I laughed or even smiled was fairly limited in most episodes.  Not something that I'd hope for in a show that I was watching as a comedy [compare it, say, to one of the more recent QuipTracks, where I'd already laughed out loud five times during the film's opening credits].

Even though he does learn a 'social responsibility' lesson in most episodes, McHale's character's narcissistic personality is still too grating on my nerves to invest myself in the show.  Of course, with my background, his - or any character's - growth in that regard happening 'too quickly' would probably irritate me as well.  ;)

So basically, with the description of it it was worth a try, and I enjoyed what I did see [as a 'limited set' of shows, rather than as a 'series introduction'], but it's not something I'll be adding to my watch list.  It seems sit-coms and I still are apparently incompatible.  Oh, well. <shrug>
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:27:02 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »
Here's a list of upcoming shows I want to check out.

Alcatraz - Fox  January 16

Napoleon Dynamite - Fox January 12 (I expect this will be awful)

The Finder - Fox January 12 (a Bones spin-off I think?)

Also they are bringing Breaking In back from the dead in March!  :highfive:

Powers - FX (still no air date given, pilot being "reworked")

Sixth Gun - SyFy (no air date given that I know of)

The Aquabats Super Show - The Hub some time in 2012

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2011, 06:25:14 AM »

The Finder - Fox January 12 (a Bones spin-off I think?)

Is it about a man combing beaches with a metal detector and solving crimes based on what he finds?  Cause I would watch that.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
I don't think Claire Danes has ever seen any footage of herself on Homeland, or else she would stop making these ridiculous, contorted, twitchy, cartoonish facial expressions. It's getting to the point that I got to with Deb on Dexter where I have to look away whenever they show her face. And I don't care how tormented and stressed-out her character is supposed to be, she shouldn't look like fucking Doc from Back to the Future. She's a character, not a caricature.

It's a shame, really. I'm liking this show, as I do Dexter, but one actor's bizarre ticks are becoming increasingly annoying and distracting.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
I don't think Claire Danes has ever seen any footage of herself on Homeland, or else she would stop making these ridiculous, contorted, twitchy, cartoonish facial expressions. It's getting to the point that I got to with Deb on Dexter where I have to look away whenever they show her face. And I don't care how tormented and stressed-out her character is supposed to be, she shouldn't look like fucking Doc from Back to the Future. She's a character, not a caricature.

It's a shame, really. I'm liking this show, as I do Dexter, but one actor's bizarre ticks are becoming increasingly annoying and distracting.

That may be the intent.  Sadly, that is often the cartoonish way in which poor writers write [or directors direct] actors portraying the mentally ill.  We've never heard what exactly her mental illness is (or what medication she is taking - it could be deduced from that).  I'd guess from clues given in the show that they were thinking something along the lines of limited paranoid schizophrenic symptoms.

And, yes, you are right, the oddities of her facial expressions are distracting.  But I believe they are deliberate facial aberrations, either at the director's request, or her own acting choice for her character.  Either they have a cartoonish view of mental illness in general, or they are possibly trying to imply early stages of tardive dyskinesia, or withdrawal-originated tardive symptoms from the medication that she is taking so freaking erratically.  In which case, they may be fairly accurate.  [I did not see enough schizophrenics, much less those with tardive symptoms, to claim any unusual familiarity with such things; I'd seen some during my training, just not a lot, as that wasn't the specialty area I was going into.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »

That may be the intent.  Sadly, that is often the cartoonish way in which poor writers write [or directors direct] actors portraying the mentally ill.  We've never heard what exactly her mental illness is (or what medication she is taking - it could be deduced from that).  I'd guess from clues given in the show that they were thinking something along the lines of limited paranoid schizophrenic symptoms.

And, yes, you are right, the oddities of her facial expressions are distracting.  But I believe they are deliberate facial aberrations, either at the director's request, or her own acting choice for her character.  Either they have a cartoonish view of mental illness in general, or they are possibly trying to imply early stages of tardive dyskinesia, or withdrawal-originated tardive symptoms from the medication that she is taking so freaking erratically.  In which case, they may be fairly accurate.  [I did not see enough schizophrenics, much less those with tardive symptoms, to claim any unusual familiarity with such things; I'd seen some during my training, just not a lot, as that wasn't the specialty area I was going into.]

Well, I clearly didn't consider that possibility. I think patented LucasM analytical skills could come up with that. And seeing as how the analysis is backed by knowledge and experience, that's a good thing.

It just seems to me that she would have more symptoms if her condition was that serious. I'm not belittling her condition and it may very well be something in its initial stages; there is a family history there, after all. And I don't really believe that Danes doesn't watch the footage; a lot of what I wrote and the style in which I wrote it was just to vent a bit. I just really don't enjoy having to avert my eyes away from a character that receives so much screen time.

But about the illness, I find it really hard to believe that she wouldn't get completely called out by her colleagues. If this is some progressive illness she has that manifests itself physically (most prominently in the face) you would think her fellow CIA folks would be very concerned and would pursue it accordingly. Especially Patankin; he's her superior and he's worked side-by-side with her for her entire career. I know he has tremendous professional respect for her, but the behavior she has repeatedly displayed to him makes me think he might intervene more than he has. I know they both live to protect against another terrorist attack and that's why he allows her erratic behavior, but at what point does he say: "You know what? This woman is reckless and completely out-of-control and could very well be not only a danger to herself, but to others?"

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
It just seems to me that she would have more symptoms if her condition was that serious. I'm not belittling her condition and it may very well be something in its initial stages; there is a family history there, after all. And I don't really believe that Danes doesn't watch the footage; a lot of what I wrote and the style in which I wrote it was just to vent a bit. I just really don't enjoy having to avert my eyes away from a character that receives so much screen time.

But about the illness, I find it really hard to believe that she wouldn't get completely called out by her colleagues. If this is some progressive illness she has that manifests itself physically (most prominently in the face) you would think her fellow CIA folks would be very concerned and would pursue it accordingly. Especially Patankin; he's her superior and he's worked side-by-side with her for her entire career. I know he has tremendous professional respect for her, but the behavior she has repeatedly displayed to him makes me think he might intervene more than he has. I know they both live to protect against another terrorist attack and that's why he allows her erratic behavior, but at what point does he say: "You know what? This woman is reckless and completely out-of-control and could very well be not only a danger to herself, but to others?"

With her hiding her 'problem' from everyone except her sister[?], then she potentially could get away with it not being called out by others.  Because there is such a wide range of human behavior, no-one may think anything of it; they may think it is just a 'stress reaction'.  But I agree wholeheartedly on what you said about her friend/mentor.  I think Patankin's character, who is a master of observational analysis, would notice that her facial tics altered over time.  The VERY least one would expect of him is that he would sit down outside of the office and have a long talk with her.  But then again, she's shown that she has no problem lying to him in a way that he'd believe it, so possibly the show's creators feel that any such discussion would've happened 'off-screen' and she would've lied to him and gotten away with it.  [Either that, or they are planning such a confrontation for the future.]

And with the symptoms, like you said, it may be the early stages, or she doesn't have a 'serious' case yet [I seem to recall that onset for schizophrenia was most often in the late 20s to mid-30s (it's been so long since I had to remember info about schizophrenics, I could be mistaken on that one)].  But there's another possibility I thought of, and that is that she doesn't actually have any actual schizophrenic brain function.  Growing up with a schizophrenic parent, especially if her father wasn't treated early in her life, would leave her learning bizarre ways of acting and reacting, even if her brain structure and chemistry were normal.  But if she found herself stressed, and doesn't behave how she feels she should, she might blame it on being genetically 'damaged'.  [I believe the show referred to her never having seen a psychiatrist herself for diagnosis, as that would be a paper trail the FBI would've found, which was why she didn't also get her own prescription.]  If she isn't really schizophrenic, just thinks she is, then when she's stressed and thinks it is because she shares her father's illness, she then takes her father's medication, which would ultimately be likely to make her more erratic, especially when 'coming down' off of it, and which would then also likely result in more noticeable withdrawal symptoms (such as the facial distortions) because her brain doesn't use the medication like a schizophrenic brain would.

There are, of course, problems I see with her behavior outside of her own health, and others' safety with regards to her work.  From the instant that they showed her taking her father's medications I thought, "she is recklessly endangering her father's health [because he'd go through abrupt withdrawal if he didn't have his regular doses], or else his doctor is going to have some very serious questions about being asked to prescribe extra medication when he would know what the appropriate dose was."  (The doctor might very well question the competence of the daughter who is caring for him to give him the medication appropriately (as some family members [and less-than-ethical doctors in inpatient settings] increase dosages to keep such patients from being a 'nuisance'.)  Doctors don't prescribe things like antipsychotics on a PRN [as needed] basis!  The things have to be not only taken regularly, but some medications require regular blood tests to make sure that appropriate blood levels are maintained (in addition to blood testing for possible early signs of liver damage from the meds).

The more I think about it, the more I would think that her unusual facial behavior should be about withdrawal effects from taking the meds so erratically [such as the weekend at the cabin where she had none].  But with TV [and movies], I've come to expect that they won't represent mental health and its treatment accurately, so I really have no idea what they are actually doing... this all may be merely an exercise in futility trying to figure it out.  :)  [Of course, when is 'fan wanking' ever about anything but making oneself comfortable with gaffes or ignorance of show creators?]

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, we're probably into extreme over-analysis territory at this point. I'm glad we agree for the most part. I just don't wanna look at an actress who looks like her face is being controlled by Frank Oz on day three of a meth bender.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
I'm still enjoying Once Upon A Time... especially all the Lost easter eggs (Apollo bars, McCutcheon's scotch...)

What I DON'T enjoy about it is that damn kid.  Not even 5 minutes into every episode, he explains the premise of the show... right after the voice-over introduction already did it.  And he can't act worth shit.  If I give up on that show for ANY reason, it will be the fucking kid.

What I DO like about it is the fact that it's intriguing, but simple.  Simple enough that the fucking kid doesn't need to explain it over and over and over again.  There isn't much of a mystery to it or anything.... just adventure of sorts.  We know how it starts, we can pretty much figure out how it will end, but all the in-betweens are kinda charming.... Just that piece-of-shit kid has to go and ruin it all.

If the show gets cancelled before the ending, it will be because of the fucking kid.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
Yeah, we're probably into extreme over-analysis territory at this point. I'm glad we agree for the most part. I just don't wanna look at an actress who looks like her face is being controlled by Frank Oz on day three of a meth bender.

"her face is being controlled by Frank Oz on day three of a meth bender"   :D

Indeed (on the over-analysis).  [Wrote all that when past my limits late this afternoon and should have been sleeping.]  This does, however, demonstrate why I have a difficult time with 'realistic' TV and films (which includes things like sitcoms): since the head injuries I can't turn OFF that kind of analysis, and it is fucking exhausting.

I'm actually hoping that this season is only 12 or 13 episodes, as when this storyline is over - despite Morena's presence - I'll be through with the show.

I'm still enjoying Once Upon A Time... especially all the Lost easter eggs (Apollo bars, McCutcheon's scotch...)

What I DON'T enjoy about it is that damn kid.  Not even 5 minutes into every episode, he explains the premise of the show... right after the voice-over introduction already did it.  And he can't act worth shit.  If I give up on that show for ANY reason, it will be the fucking kid.

What I DO like about it is the fact that it's intriguing, but simple.  Simple enough that the fucking kid doesn't need to explain it over and over and over again.  There isn't much of a mystery to it or anything.... just adventure of sorts.  We know how it starts, we can pretty much figure out how it will end, but all the in-betweens are kinda charming.... Just that piece-of-shit kid has to go and ruin it all.

If the show gets cancelled before the ending, it will be because of the fucking kid.

I gave up on it just this past week... and, yeah, it was partly because of that kid.  He annoyed the crap out of me, and you're right: he can't act worth a damn.  But I also gave up because I realized that there wasn't a single character on the show who I gave the slightest shit about their 'predicament'.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:22:53 PM by LucasM »