login

Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 41117 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »
Bonus the Last

Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

Zaphod is the inventor of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, a fictional cocktail based on Janx Spirit. The series states that the effect of one "is like having your brain smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick." In the television series, two Gargle Blaster drinkers collapse in open-eyed unconsciousness after drinking while the spilled drink burns a hole in the floor; in the film, after the Guide is done explaining what the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster is and its effects, Ford and Zaphod yell in pain. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gives the recipe as follows:

"Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.
        Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V
        Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
        Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).
        Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones.
        Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.
        Sprinkle Zamphour.
        Add an olive.
        Drink...but very carefully."

The Guide also implies that there are multiple voluntary organizations available to rehabilitate those who would try the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. Real versions of the drink have been made available at some stage shows of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as well as bars such as Zaphod Beeblebrox in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Recipes for these "Earth versions" can be found at Wikibooks. In an interview, Douglas Adams stated that there are a number of environmental and weapons treaties, as well as laws of physics, which prevent the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from being mixed on Earth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Boo9llCz4CM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Boo9llCz4CM</a>
Can it be bought?

A number of fakers exists.  Here are a few.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink12215.html  (clearly a fake.  No lemon.)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pangalactic-gargleblaster/detail.aspx  (no olive)

http://feastygeeks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pan-galactic-gargle-blaster-recipe.html  (not potent enough)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A799419  (got to say, this faker is trying very hard)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »
Whew, OK, I'm going out for lunch.  Expect the true list to continue in an hour or two!

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
Bonus #1

The bonus I presented was fictional drinks you wanted to try.  One person, however, also sent a worst beverage.  Which isn't a beverage at all.  Whatevs.

Natural Ice

From BBQ Platypus
Ingredients: Water, water, more water, fermented reindeer piss
Tee-hee.  He made a funny.  Still more drinkable than this though:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:45:06 AM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
13 – Rum
61 points          
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Sarcasm Made Easy

For me, rum was more of a gateway liquor. Mom was a big rum drinker. There was always a bottle of Meyers in the fridge. I was probably thirteen when I started stealing sips from the bottle. This led to just outright stealing the bottle, which was always difficult to explain.

Rum is very easy to drink straight. If I had not become such a slave to whiskey, I imagine I would've kept drinking it. I just much prefer whiskey over rum, both for sipping and in mixed drinks. Rum and Coke is a little too sweet for me.

12 – Green Tea
61 points          
4 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #5 Cole Stratton
Preferred Serving: Hot (Cole Stratton/Johnny Unusual) Cold in a Bottle (Johnny Unusual.  Used to drink it all the time in Japan)

Boy, do I love this stuff. I drink ridiculous amounts of this. It's a nice change-up from coffee. I like it hot or cold. Oftentimes, I'll leave a mug of it on my desk and it cools down; just as good if not even better. There's just something so clean and pure about this stuff.

Bonus #4
Pero
There is absolutely no reason for this exist. Mom drank this when she wanted to take a break from coffee. Yeah, the same Mom that never took a break from the ubiquitous bottle of Meyers in the fridge.

I used to drink it (Pero) with her because I wanted to be like the grown-ups. It is fucking awful. Even as a kid who wasn't all that familiar with coffee, I knew this shit was vile. I can still remember the taste. I don't want to remember the taste. You could mix this with ten ounces of Bailey's and it still wouldn't help. Well, maybe a little.

Bonus #1

From BBQ Platypus
:D

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
Bonus #1

The bonus I presented was fictional drinks you wanted to try.  One person, however, also sent a worst beverage.  Which isn't a beverage at all.  Whatevs.

Natural Ice

From BBQ Platypus
Tee-hee.  He made a funny.  Still more drinkable than this though:

Not by intent.  I've serious never heard of Natural Ice beyond actual ice, which contains the same ingredients.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Unintentionally hilarious. That's exactly what that shit tastes like.

Similar to Bud and Coors, which are made with deer piss.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1175
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »
Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

Oh man, I wish I had thought of that. I read that book so many times I've lost count.

And, I have to say, that green tea in the picture is REALLY green. Where can I get tea like that? I fixed what was called gunpowder tea, which was green tea that was rolled up into tight balls. The balls resembled old fashioned gunpowder, hence the name. I'd put the loose tea leaves into a steel tea ball and steep it for like 15 minutes. It was pretty good, but my tea always came out more orange than green.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
Yeah, there was a better picture but it was too big and I don't have all day to look at pictures of tea.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
And, I have to say, that green tea in the picture is REALLY green. Where can I get tea like that? I fixed what was called gunpowder tea, which was green tea that was rolled up into tight balls. The balls resembled old fashioned gunpowder, hence the name. I'd put the loose tea leaves into a steel tea ball and steep it for like 15 minutes. It was pretty good, but my tea always came out more orange than green.

Hey look! Somebody used the word "loose" correctly on the internet!

Offline CJones

« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

:D

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
I like black tea, but I can't get into green tea. I've tried it lots, and it just tastes weak and perfumey. 

Weirdly, I don't mind some herbal teas, which other people often say taste perfumey.  I just don't like green tea.

That is strange. I think green tea is one of the least perfumey teas. It smells kinda like dried grass to me.

Offline CJones

« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »
I like black tea, but I can't get into green tea. I've tried it lots, and it just tastes weak and perfumey. 

Weirdly, I don't mind some herbal teas, which other people often say taste perfumey.  I just don't like green tea.

Did you use tea bags, or loose tea? I've tried several varieties of both, and the loose tea is always much, much better. You just have to buy a tea ball, or some other means of brewing tea without bags.

And I had Fennel Tea, which is an herbal tea that helps with my gut issues, on my list. But it was pretty far down and I doubt anyone else voted for it.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

It literally burns me up when people misuse words.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »
10 –Coca-Cola

66 points          
4 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #8 BBQ Platypus

Preferred Serving: Fountain (Team RAD)

Coca-Cola is a carbonated soft drink sold in stores, restaurants, and vending machines in more than 200 countries. It is produced by The Coca-Cola Company of Atlanta, Georgia, and is often referred to simply as Coke (a registered trademark of The Coca-Cola Company in the United States since March 27, 1944). Originally intended as a patent medicine when it was invented in the late 19th century by John Pemberton, Coca-Cola was bought out by businessman Asa Griggs Candler, whose marketing tactics led Coke to its dominance of the world soft-drink market throughout the 20th century.

The company produces concentrate, which is then sold to licensed Coca-Cola bottlers throughout the world. The bottlers, who hold territorially exclusive contracts with the company, produce finished product in cans and bottles from the concentrate in combination with filtered water and sweeteners. The bottlers then sell, distribute and merchandise Coca-Cola to retail stores and vending machines. Such bottlers include Coca-Cola Enterprises, which is the largest single Coca-Cola bottler in North America and western Europe. The Coca-Cola Company also sells concentrate for soda fountains to major restaurants and food service distributors.

The Coca-Cola Company has, on occasion, introduced other cola drinks under the Coke brand name. The most common of these is Diet Coke, with others including Caffeine-Free Coca-Cola, Diet Coke Caffeine-Free, Coca-Cola Cherry, Coca-Cola Zero,Coca-Cola Vanilla, and special editions with lemon, lime or coffee.

he prototype Coca-Cola recipe was formulated at the Eagle Drug and Chemical Company, a drugstore in Columbus, Georgia by John Pemberton, originally as a coca wine called Pemberton's French Wine Coca. He may have been inspired by the formidable success of Vin Mariani, a European coca wine.

In 1886, when Atlanta and Fulton County passed prohibition legislation, Pemberton responded by developing Coca-Cola, essentially a non-alcoholic version of French Wine Coca. The first sales were at Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia, on May 8, 1886. It was initially sold as a patent medicine for five cents a glass at soda fountains, which were popular in the United States at the time due to the belief that carbonated water was good for the health. Pemberton claimed Coca-Cola cured many diseases, including morphine addiction, dyspepsia,neurasthenia, headache, and impotence. Pemberton ran the first advertisement for the beverage on May 29 of the same year in the Atlanta Journal.

By 1888, three versions of Coca-Cola — sold by three separate businesses — were on the market. Asa Griggs Candler acquired a stake in Pemberton's company in 1887 and incorporated it as the Coca Cola Company in 1888. The same year, Pemberton sold the rights a second time to four more businessmen: J.C. Mayfield, A.O. Murphey, C.O. Mullahy and E.H. Bloodworth. Meanwhile, Pemberton's son Charley Pemberton began selling his own version of the product.

John Pemberton declared that the name "Coca-Cola" belonged to Charley, but the other two manufacturers could continue to use the formula. So, in the summer of 1888, Candler sold his beverage under the names Yum Yum and Koke. After both failed to catch on, Candler set out to establish a legal claim to Coca-Cola in late 1888, in order to force his two competitors out of the business. Candler purchased exclusive rightst o the formula from John Pemberton, Margaret Dozier and Woolfolk Walker. However, in 1914, Dozier came forward to claim her signature on the bill of sale had been forged, and subsequent analysis has indicated John Pemberton's signature was most likely a forgery as well.

In 1892 Candler incorporated a second company, The Coca-Cola Company (the current corporation), and in 1910 Candler had the earliest records of the company burned, further obscuring its legal origins. By the time of its 50th anniversary, the drink had reached the status of a national icon in the USA. In 1935, it was certified kosher by Rabbi Tobias Geffen, after the company made minor changes in the sourcing of some ingredients.

Coca-Cola was sold in bottles for the first time on March 12, 1894. The first outdoor wall advertisement was painted in the same year as well in Cartersville, Georgia. Cans of Coke first appeared in 1955. The first bottling of Coca-Cola occurred in Vicksburg, Mississippi, at the Biedenharn Candy Company in 1891. Its proprietor was Joseph A. Biedenharn. The original bottles were Biedenharn bottles, very different from the much later hobble-skirt design that is now so familiar. Asa Candler was tentative about bottling the drink, but two entrepreneurs from Chattanooga, Tennessee, Benjamin F. Thomas and Joseph B. Whitehead, proposed the idea and were so persuasive that Candler signed a contract giving them control of the procedure for only one dollar. Candler never collected his dollar, but in 1899 Chattanooga became the site of the first Coca-Cola bottling company. The loosely termed contract proved to be problematic for the company for decades to come. Legal matters were not helped by the decision of the bottlers to subcontract to other companies, effectively becoming parent bottlers.

Coke concentrate, or Coke syrup, was and is sold separately at pharmacies in small quantities, as an over-the-counter remedy for nausea or mildly upset stomach.

Drink-Based Recipe – Ancho Chili
5 ancho chiles, rinsed, stems, seeds and ribs removed
1 1/2 cups water to cover chilies
1 tablespoon vegatable oil
3 1/2 cups diced white onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
2 jalapeño peppers, medium, seeds and ribs removed, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 pound ground beef, lean
3/4 pound ground pork, lean
1 cup canned whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups Coca-Cola®
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 teaspoons salt
1 cup (10.5 oz. can) red kidney beans, canned, drained
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream, low-fat (optional)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (optional)

Method:
1. Place ancho chiles in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil over
medium-high heat. Remove from heat and soak until softened, about 30
minutes. Transfer chiles and cooking liquid to a blender or food processor and
purée until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic,
and jalapeño peppers. Cook until onions soften and turn translucent, about 10
minutes. Add in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in
the beef and pork, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add cola, tomatoes,
cumin, tomatoes, and puréed chiles; stir well to combine. Bring mixture to a
simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 30 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and 1 tablespoon salt. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until mixture
thickens, about 30 to 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with remaining 1
teaspoon salt, or to taste.
4. Ladle chili into warmed bowls and garnish with cheese, sour cream, and green
onions if desired

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lqT_dPApj9U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lqT_dPApj9U</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
I only ever use loose tea for specialty stuff--there's a vanilla one that I get when I visit my in-laws that's quite tasty.  There wouldn't be any point in green tea that way as I don't like green tea.

I love vanilla-flavored tea, specifically vanilla-flavored black tea. Gimme a pot o' that and some graham crackers and I'm good.