Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 39253 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5645
  • Mr. Robot
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
14 – Diet Coca-Cola

60 points          
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Imrahil

Diet Coke (also known as Diet Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola light or Coke Light) is a sugar-free soft drink produced and distributed by The Coca-Cola Company. It was first introduced in the United States on August 9, 1982, as the first new brand since 1886 to use the Coca-Cola trademark. The product quickly overtook the soft drink Tab in sales.

\Diet Coke was sweetened with aspartame after the sweetener became available in the United States in 1983; to save money, this was originally in a blend with saccharin. After Diet Rite cola advertised its 100 percent use of aspartame, and the manufacturer of NutraSweet (then, G.D. Searle & Company) warned that the NutraSweet trademark would not be made available to a blend of sweeteners, Coca-Cola switched the formula to 100 percent NutraSweet. Diet Coke from fountain dispensers still contains some saccharin to extend shelf life.

In other countries, in which cyclamates are not banned (as they were in the U.S. and the United Kingdom in 1970), Diet Coke or Coca-Cola Light may be sweetened with a blend containing cyclamates, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium.

In 2005, under pressure from retailer Wal-Mart (which was impressed with the popularity of Splenda sweetener), the company released a new formulation called "Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda". Sucralose and acesulfame potassium replace aspartame in this version. Early sales were weaker than anticipated; however, Coca-Cola did little advertising for the brand, investing money and advertising in Coca-Cola Zero instead. By late 2009, some distributors had stopped supplying Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda.

Diet Coke does not use a modified form of the Coca-Cola recipe, but instead an entirely different formula. The controversial New Coke, introduced in 1985, used a version of the Diet Coke recipe that contained high fructose corn syrup and had a slightly different balance of ingredients. In 2004, Coca-Cola introduced Coca-Cola C2, which it claims tastes much closer to Coca-Cola but contains half the carbohydrates. In 2005, the company introduced Coca-Cola Zero, a sugar-free variation of regular Coca-Cola.

When Tab was released in 1963, the Coca-Cola Company refused to release a diet soda with the Coca-Cola name, fearing that its flagship brand might suffer. Its rival Pepsi had no such qualms, and after the long-term success of its sugar-free Diet Pepsi (launched in 1964) became clear, Coca-Cola decided to launch a competing sugar-free brand under the Coca-Cola name, which could be marketed more extensively than the more anonymous Tab.

Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have capitalized on the markets of people who require low sugar regimens, such as diabetics and people concerned with calorie intake. In the UK, a 330 ml can of Diet Coke contains around 1.3 calories (5 kilojoules) compared to 142 calories (595 kJ) for a regular can of Coca-Cola.

Drink-Based Recipe – WW Chocolate Cherry Cobbler

Ingredients
Comstock Lite Cherry Pie filling 20 oz
Pillsbury Devils Food Cake Mix
Diet Cherry coke 20 oz
Cool whip free to top each serving

Directions
Put Cherries in Bottom of cake Pan (9X13)
Sprinkle Cake mix on top
Pour diet Cherry coke on top
Bake 350 for 45 minutes or until cake is done
Dip out approx 1/2 cup serving
top with cool whip Free

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/88wygh5d40o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/88wygh5d40o</a>

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
From now on when ever Something gets caught in the spam filter i am going to say it was confiscated by Dapenguin.  You know just to show how long i have been on the forum and cause it sounds cooler.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3563
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
I'd almost rather deal with the spam than the spam filter sometimes...

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 840
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
I didn't include yours since it was SPECIFICALLY Canada Dry.  I know it sounds like I'm being anal, but never underestimate the rabid passion of brand loyalty.

I take it this means you didn't count any of the beers I voted for as just "beer". I voted for specific brands (including three different styles of Samuel Adams) rather than just beer in general. Cause I found it hard to believe only 2 people voted for beer.

And yay, I finally got a top pick with Soy Milk! I'd love to try that pancake recipe, but I can't eat flour any more. I use a special gluten free pancake mix to make pancakes.

And I was one of the three people who voted for Captain Morgan. Now that I've tried Private Stock though it doesn't seem as good...

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 840
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Sunkist is the only TRUE orange soda. All the others are just imitators.

Pitch-perfect imitators. :^)

Oh man, I used to drink loads of Sunkist when I was a kid. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
19 – Soy Milk

42 points       
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 CJones

I drink soy milk, but not on its own; I use it for protein shakes. I don't drink regular milk on its own, either.

18 – Beer
47 points       
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 BBQ Platypus

I love this beer!

16 – Earl Grey

51 points          
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 Imrahil

My second-favorite kind of tea.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:02:42 PM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
I didn't include yours since it was SPECIFICALLY Canada Dry.  I know it sounds like I'm being anal, but never underestimate the rabid passion of brand loyalty.

I take it this means you didn't count any of the beers I voted for as just "beer". I voted for specific brands (including three different styles of Samuel Adams) rather than just beer in general. Cause I found it hard to believe only 2 people voted for beer.

And yay, I finally got a top pick with Soy Milk! I'd love to try that pancake recipe, but I can't eat flour any more. I use a special gluten free pancake mix to make pancakes.

And I was one of the three people who voted for Captain Morgan. Now that I've tried Private Stock though it doesn't seem as good...

It isnt as good, but its great for capt and cokes, something i dont like using something as pricey as Pstock for. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
Alright, let's finish this!

13 – Rum

61 points          
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Sarcasm Made Easy

Rum is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane by-products such as molasses, or directly from sugarcane juice, by a process of fermentation and distillation. The distillate, a clear liquid, is then usually aged in oak barrels. Rum can be referred to by descriptors such as “ron viejo” ("old rum") and "ron añejo" ("aged rum").

The majority of the world's rum production occurs in the Caribbean and Latin America (including The Dominican Republic, Martinique, Guatemala, Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Puerto Rico,U.S. Virgin Islands, Brazil, Haiti, Belize, Grenada, Guyana, and Cuba). Rum is also produced in Australia, Fiji, Mexico,Hawaii, The Philippines, India, Reunion Island, Mauritius, and South Africa.

Light rums are commonly used in cocktails, whereas "golden" and "dark" rums are typically consumed individually (i.e., "straight") or for cooking. Premium rums are also available, made to be consumed either straight or iced.

Rum plays a part in the culture of most islands of the West Indies, and has famous associations with the Royal Navy(where it was mixed with water or beer to make grog) and piracy (where it was consumed as Bumbo). Rum has also served as a popular medium of economic exchange, used to help fund enterprises such as slavery, organized crime, and military insurgencies (e.g., the American Revolution and Australia's Rum Rebellion).

Drink Recipe – Suicide Smoothies

Ingredients
•   1 cup strawberries
•   1/2 cup bananas, sliced
•   1/2 cup fresh raspberries
•   1/2 cup strawberry yogurt
•   1 tablespoon powdered lemonade mix
•   1/2 cup ice cubes
•   2 fluid ounces vodka
•   2 fluid ounces rum
•   2 fluid ounces whiskey, (such as Black Velvet™)
•   2 fluid ounces cherry vodka (such as UV Red™)
Directions
1.   Place the strawberries, bananas, raspberries, yogurt, lemonade mix, and ice cubes into a blender. Pour in the vodka, rum, whiskey, cherry vodka. Puree until smooth, and pour into two large glasses to serve.

Yet another video having little to do with the drink, but this looks good.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0YUx36yLLug" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0YUx36yLLug</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:17 AM »
12 – Green Tea

61 points          
4 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #5 Cole Stratton
Preferred Serving: Hot (Cole Stratton/Johnny Unusual) Cold in a Bottle (Johnny Unusual.  Used to drink it all the time in Japan)

Green tea is made solely with the leaves of Camellia sinensis that have undergone minimal oxidation during processing. Green tea originates from China and has become associated with many cultures in Asia from Japan and South Korea to the Middle East. It has recently become more widespread in the West, where black tea is traditionally consumed. Many varieties of green tea have been created in countries where they are grown. These varieties can differ substantially due to variable growing conditions, horticulture, production processing, and harvesting time.

Over the last few decades green tea has been subjected to many scientific and medical studies to determine the extent of its long-purported health benefits, with some evidence suggesting that regular green tea drinkers have lower chances of heart disease and of developing certain types of cancer. Although green tea does not raise the metabolic rate enough to produce immediate weight loss, a green tea extract containing polyphenols and caffeine has been shown to induce thermogenesis and stimulate fat oxidation, boosting the metabolic rate 4% without increasing the heart rate.

According to a survey released by the United States Department of Agriculture in 2007, the mean content of flavonoids in a cup of green tea is higher than that in the same volume of other food and drink items that are traditionally considered of health contributing nature, including fresh fruits, vegetable juices or wine. Flavonoids are a group of phytochemicals in most plant products that are responsible for such health effects as anti-oxidative and anticarcinogenic functions. However, as a tea information site points out, the content varies dramatically amongst different tea products, basing on the same USDA survey.

Drink-Based Recipe – Green Tea Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons dry green tea
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 vanilla pod
1 1/4 cups double (heavy) cream
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons boiling water

Take the dry green tea and soak in boiling water with the tablespoon of sugar for 10-12 minutes.

Into a saucepan put the vanilla pod and milk and gently bring to the boil then pour this over the tea. Leave to stand for 5 or 6 minutes.

Beat the egg yolks with the 1/4 cup caster sugar in a separate bowl and then strain the milk mixture into it.

Transfer to a saucepan and gently heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture is thick. Leave to cool. Whip the double (heavy) cream and fold into the cooled tea mixture. Transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TgPmaNMReKQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TgPmaNMReKQ</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
11 – Seltzer

65 points          
6 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #Imrahil

Carbonated water (also known as club soda, soda water, sparkling water, seltzer, or fizzy water) is water into which carbon dioxide gas under pressure has been dissolved, a process that causes the water to become effervescent.

Carbonated water is the defining ingredient of carbonated soft drinks. The process of dissolving carbon dioxide in water is called carbonation.

In 1767 Joseph Priestley invented carbonated water when he first discovered a method of infusing water with carbon dioxide when he suspended a bowl of water above a beer vat at a local brewery in Leeds, England. The air blanketing the fermenting beer—called 'fixed air'—was known to kill mice suspended in it. Priestley found water thus treated had a pleasant taste, and he offered it to friends as a cool, refreshing drink. In 1772, Priestley published a paper entitled "Impregnating Water with Fixed Air" in which he describes dripping "oil of vitriol" (sulfuric acid) onto chalk to produce carbon dioxide gas, and encouraging the gas to dissolve into an agitated bowl of water.
In 1771 chemistry professor Torbern Bergman independently invented a similar process to make carbonated water. In poor health and frugal, he was trying to reproduce naturally-effervescent spring waters thought at the time to be beneficial to health.

Carbonated water was introduced in the latter part of the 18th century, and reached Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta), India in 1822.

In the late eighteenth century, J. J. Schweppe (1740–1821) developed a process to manufacture carbonated mineral water, based on the process discovered by Joseph Priestley, founding the Schweppes Company in Geneva in 1783. In 1792 he moved to London to develop the business there.

The soda siphon, or siphon — a glass or metal pressure vessel with a release valve and spout for dispensing pressurized soda water — was a common sight in bars and in early- to mid-20th century homes where it became a symbol of middle-class affluence.

Ányos Jedlik (1800–95) invented consumable soda-water that is a popular drink today. He also built a carbonated water factory in Budapest, Hungary. The process he developed for getting the CO2 into the water remains a mystery. After this invention, a Hungarian drink made of wine and soda water called "fröccs" (wine spritzers) was popular in Europe.

Since then, carbonated water is made by passing pressurized carbon dioxide through water. The pressure increases the solubility and allows more carbon dioxide to dissolve than would be possible under standard atmospheric pressure. When the bottle is opened, the pressure is released, allowing the gas to come out of the solution, forming the characteristic bubbles.

Carbonated water changed the way people drank. Instead of drinking spirits neat, soda water and carbonated soft drinks helped dilute alcohol, and made having a drink more socially acceptable. Popping into a friend's house for a "dash and a splash" — a whisky and soda — before going out to a social event was part of everyday life in Britain as late as 1965. Whisky and sodas can be seen in many British TV series and films from the 1960s and earlier and the soda siphon is ubiquitous in many movies made before 1970. Social drinking changed with the counter-culture movement of the 1970s, beginning the decline of soda water's popularity. Soda water's 'last hurrah' in Britain may have been the 1970s 'Soda Stream', a home bottling kit which enabled the creation of sparkling beverages with fruit syrups and water.

The popularity of soda water has declined since the late 1980s as drinking habits changed and new bottled or canned beverages arrived. Soda siphons are still bought by the more traditional bar trade and are available at the bar in many upmarket establishments. In the UK there are now only two wholesalers of soda-water in traditional glass siphons, and an estimated market of around 120,000 siphons per year (2009). Worldwide, preferences are for beverages in recyclable plastic containers.

Home soda siphons and soda water are enjoying a renaissance in the 21st century as retro items become fashionable. Contemporary soda siphons are commonly made of aluminum, although glass and stainless steel siphons are available. The valve-heads of today are made of plastic, with metal valves, and replaceable o-ring seals. Older siphons are in demand on on-line auction sites. Carbonated water, without the acidity regulating addition of soda, is currently seen as fashionable although home production (see below) is mainly eschewed in favor of commercial products.

Drink Recipe – Witch’s Brew

Ingredients
4 cup(s) Vodka (more Vodka drinks)
4 1/2 cup(s) Apple Juice (Unsweetened - thawed)
1/2 gallon(s) Sherbet (Lime - softened)
8 cup(s) Club Soda
5 cup(s) Water
1/2 cup(s) Lime Juice
Instructions
Combine apple juice, water, vodka, and lime juice in a large bowl. Cover and chill. Just before serving, spoon sherbet into a large punch bowl; slowly pour apple juice mixture and club soda over sherbet, stirring gently.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABx4oqeYiIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ABx4oqeYiIw</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
Bonus #1

The bonus I presented was fictional drinks you wanted to try.  One person, however, also sent a worst beverage.  Which isn't a beverage at all.  Whatevs.

Natural Ice

From BBQ Platypus
Ingredients: Water, water, more water, fermented reindeer piss

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »
Bonus #2

Fizzy Lifting Drink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1Nkvs3Bgpo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U1Nkvs3Bgpo</a>
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:21:46 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
Bonus #3

Slurm

Slurm is a fictional soft drink in the Futurama universe. It is popular and highly addictive, and is Fry's favorite drink. It is widely seen throughout the universe. Slurm delivery trucks can be frequently spotted, including in the Futurama opening credits (shortly before the Planet Express delivery ship crashes into the billboard). The drink's slogan is 'It's Highly Addictive!' - the drink's distribution is handled by Bureau of Soft Drinks, Tobacco, and Firearms which is a parody of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (which is now known as Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives).

Slurm has an active marketing campaign similar to the leading soft drinks of today, the campaign was fronted by Slurms McKenzie until his tragic death. The campaign uses an instrumental version of 'I've Got a Tan' by The Four Postmen. The Slurm posters seen throughout the episodes acted as one of the first clues to deciphering the Alien Language and have been compared to the Rosetta Stone by fans.

Slurm is made on the planet Wormulon.

In Fry and the Slurm Factory, Fry, Leela, and Bender find out that it's made from a secretion from the anus of the Wormulon Queen. Slurm is so addictive that even after Fry finds out what it's made of he can't stop drinking it, and even the Slurm Queen appears to be addicted to it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mI5-L6s6dqk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mI5-L6s6dqk</a>
Can it be bought?

http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Slurm-Energy-Drink/dp/B001BZCBA0

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is currently unavailable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:30:44 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »
Bonus #4

Pero

Almost missed this worst drink from DB Barnes.  Never heard of it, unfortunately

Caro is a brand of caffeine-free roasted grain beverages. Some consider it a coffee substitute. It is manufactured by Nestlé and was first introduced in West Germany in 1954. It is available throughout Europe as well as other markets including New Zealand. It is imported to the United States under the name Pero. The name "Caro" sounds like the French word "Carreau", which translates to "diamonds" in playing cards, as seen in the Caro logo (which is also used on Pero).

Caro Instant is a powder-based drink available in 50-gram (1.8 oz) containers, whereas Caro Extra is granule-based and comes in 200-gram (7.1 oz) jars.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »

Bonus #5

True Blood

It's the blood substitute that allow vampires live amongst humans.  I have no idea why you would want to drink fake blood.  It lacks the authentic metallic taste of the real stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxINMuOgAu8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vxINMuOgAu8</a>
Can it be bought?

http://trubeverage.com/