Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 39994 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
Yeah I had that experience with the bottle of Highland Park I brought over when I moved to the US. I poured some for Ann's father and he slammed it back.  ::)

Thrifty, assuming some of my higher picks are shared across lists you might want to try some of the ones coming up. I'll let you know which when they show up., :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »
29 – Chocolate Milk

33 points    
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #10 Pak Man

Chocolate milk is a sweetened, usually cold, cocoa-flavored milk drink. It is created when chocolate syrup (or chocolate powder) is mixed with milk (from cows, goats, soy, rice, etc). It can be purchased pre-mixed or made at home with either cocoa powder and a sweetener (such as sugar or a sugar substitute), or with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, or chocolate milk mix. Other ingredients, such as starch, salt, carrageenan, vanilla, or artificial flavoring may be added. Chocolate milk should be refrigerated like plain milk. A solution is required to blend in the two flavors (milk and chocolate, hence the name of the mixed drink). When chocolate milk begins to spoil, it gives off a coffee-like odor, unlike plain milk. It was invented by Hans Sloane in the late 1680s.

There are many brands of chocolate milk available in pre-mixed packages, including bottles and cartons. Some Swiss brands like Ovaltine and Nesquik can be either heated up or consumed cold. It is also possible to make chocolate milk by pouring milk in a glass, adding cocoa powder, and stirring, although powder does not mix with cold milk as well or as quickly as when using chocolate syrup. Shaking the ingredients in a clean bottle or cocktail shaker can more thoroughly mix the powder and milk.

Variants of chocolate milk are candy-bar themed pre-mixed drinks, which claim to mimic the flavors of popular candy bars such as Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, or Snickers. Other variants include a lactose-free version made using lactose-free milk and flavorings, sugar-free "kids" chocolate milk in powder form, organic chocolate milk (made with organic milk, organic cocoa, and organic cane syrup). This beverage can also be made with soya milk.

Drink Recipe – Home Made Chocolate Milk

Ingredients
8oz. 1%low fat milk
1TB. COCOA-UNSWEETEN
1TB. SPLENDA
4oz. WARM WATER

Directions
ADD COCOA AND SPLENDA TO A 12-16oz.GLASS AND MIX LIGHTLY.ADD 4oz. OF WARM WATER TO THE CHOCOLATE MIX AND STIR TILL SMOOTH . ADD MILK ,STIR, AND ENJOY A REAL TREAT.
115CALORIES

MAKES 12OZ.(THE WARM WATER HELPS THE CHOCOLATE MIX WITH THE MILK EASIER)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ns1V8WLFDQM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ns1V8WLFDQM</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
28 – Red Bull

33 points    
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Team RAD

Red Bull is an energy drink sold by the Austrian Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987 by the Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz. In terms of market share, Red Bull is the most popular energy drink in the world, with 3 billion cans sold each year. Dietrich Mateschitzwas inspired by an already existing drink called Krating Daeng which he discovered in Thailand. He took this idea, and to suit the tastes of Westerners, modified the ingredients, and founded Austrian Red Bull GmbH in partnership with Chaleo Yoovidhya. Chaleo Yoovidhyainvented the Thai energy drink Krating Daeng; in Thai daeng is red, and krating is the reddish brown bovine, gaur, an animal slightly larger than the bison. Red Bull is sold in a tall and slim blue-silver can. Krating Daeng is sold in Thailand and in some parts of Asia in a wider gold can with the name of Krating Daeng or Red Bull Classic. Both are different products produced separately.

Their slogan is "Red Bull gives you wings"[ and the product is aggressively marketed through advertising, tournament sponsorship (Red Bull Air Race, Red Bull Crashed Ice), sports team ownerships (Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Toro Rosso, EC Red Bull Salzburg, FC Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull New York, RB Leipzig), celebrity endorsements, and with its record label, Red Bull Records, music. In 2009 it was discovered that Red Bull Cola exported from Austria contained trace amounts of cocaine. Red Bull has also been the target of criticism concerning the possible health risks associated with the drink.

Red Bull took many marketing and ingredient ideas from an energy drink in Thailand called Krating Daeng. Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian entrepreneur, developed the Red Bull Energy Drink brand. Mateschitz was the international marketing director for Blendax, a toothpaste company, when he visited Thailand in 1982 and discovered that Krating Daeng helped to cure his jet lag. Between 1984 and 1987, Mateschitz worked with TCBG Pharmaceutical (a Blendax licensee) to adapt Krating Daeng for the European market.

At the same time Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya founded Red Bull GmbH; each investing $500,000 of savings and taking a stake in the new company. Chaleo and Dietrich each held a 49% share of the new company. They gave the remaining 2% to Chaleo's son Chalerm, but it was agreed that Mateschitz would run the company. The product was launched in 1987 in Austria, in a carbonated format.

In 1989, the product was expanded to its first international markets, Hungary and Slovenia. It entered the United States market (via California) in 1997 and the Middle East in 2000. In 2008, Forbes magazine listed both Chaleo and Mateschitz as being the 260th richest persons in the world with an estimated net worth of $4.0 billion.

Drink Recipe – Southern Housepatality

Ingredients
1 part Watermelon schnapps
1 Part Southern Comfort
1 Fill Red Bull
Directions
In a shot glass fill half with soco and half watermelon schnapps. then take one coktail glass and fill 3/4 of the way up with red bull then take the shot glass and put it in to the glass of red bull and chug (not sure I recommend the last part)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOZJtOLX0S8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gOZJtOLX0S8</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
32 – Jack and Coke

32 points    
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #4 DB Barnes

This is a dangerous cocktail. More dangerous than dynamite! It's way to easy to guzzle this. Throw a straw into the mix and things can get away from you in a hurry. And god help you if you're pouring your own; the Jack to Coke ratio has a funny way of evening out the more you imbibe.

It's by far my favorite mixed drink. I love the smell, the color, and especially the taste. I rarely drink these anymore, preferring to sip whiskey rather than consume large amounts. Jack and Cokes pretty much drink themselves.

Drink Recipe – Jack and Coke
2 oz Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey
10 6 oz Coca-Cola®

Pour Jack Daniels into large glass filled with ice. Pour coca-cola into the glass. Stir lightly.

FIXED!  ;D
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
Cause i assume they are dumb ass kids with too much money and not enough supervision

I think I'd like Noel Coward to be my spiritual spirits supervisor...and no, not because of THAT.

28 – Red Bull

33 points    
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Team RAD

A company I worked for a few years back had Red Bull fridge. I've always been a caffeine lover addict, but always got my fix with coffee or tea. Working late one night, needing a quick boost, and fresh outta meth, I decided to give Red Bull a shot. I'd seen the commercials and knew what it was about, but had never thought to try it. Didn't much care for the taste at first, but that boost! Soon I was slamming cans left and right and even grew to like the taste. My next job lacked the dedicated Red Bull fridge, and since I only ever got them that way, I just stopped drinking it. Never once paid for a single can!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »

Ingredients
8oz. 1%low fat milk
1TB. COCOA-UNSWEETEN
1TB. SPLENDA
4oz. WARM WATER

Directions
ADD COCOA AND SPLENDA TO A 12-16oz.GLASS AND MIX LIGHTLY.ADD 4oz. OF WARM WATER TO THE CHOCOLATE MIX AND STIR TILL SMOOTH . ADD MILK ,STIR, AND ENJOY A REAL TREAT.
115CALORIES

I made this once in 1997 and the horrible taste is still with me today.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
27 – White Russian

34 points    
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #5 DB Barnes

A White Russian is a sweet cocktail made with vodka, coffee liqueurs (e.g., Kahlúa or Tia Maria), and cream served with ice in an Old Fashioned glass. Other ingredients are often substituted for cream, the most common of which are milk, half and half, Baileys Irish Cream, and vanilla soymilk.

The traditional cocktail known as a Black Russian, which first appeared in 1949, becomes a White Russian with the addition of cream. Neither drink is Russian in origin, but both are so named due to vodka being the primary ingredient. It is unclear which drink begat the other.

The Oxford English Dictionary refers to the first mention of the word "White Russian" in the sense of a cocktail as appearing in California's Oakland Tribune on 21 November 1965. It was placed in the newspaper as an insert: "White Russian. 1 oz. each Southern, vodka, cream."

Drink Recipe – White Russian

2 oz vodka
1 oz coffee liqueur
light cream

Pour vodka and coffee liqueur over ice cubes in an old-fashioned glass. Fill with light cream and serve.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeMAEzvcwao" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WeMAEzvcwao</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
I make something like that only I replace the cream with amaretto. And it's 2 oz of both of the other ingredients.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Im surprised that The Big Lebowski did not get mentioned in the white russian post.  I know several people who suddenly fell in love with this drink due to that movie. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6305
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »

Ingredients
8oz. 1%low fat milk
1TB. COCOA-UNSWEETEN
1TB. SPLENDA
4oz. WARM WATER

Directions
115CALORIES

Shouldn't that recipe read:

1. Pour milk into mouth. Do not swollow.
2. Squeeze desired amount of chocolate syrup into mouth. Do not swollow.
3. Close mouth tightly. Shake head vigorously untill mixed (or sufficiantly dizzy).
4. Swollow.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »
Yeah I had that experience with the bottle of Highland Park I brought over when I moved to the US. I poured some for Ann's father and he slammed it back.  ::)

Thrifty, assuming some of my higher picks are shared across lists you might want to try some of the ones coming up. I'll let you know which when they show up., :)

You should try going bar hopping with a bunch of military guys.  Savor is not often a word in the vocabulary

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
Yeah, he's ex Air Force

• Compsognathus
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:21 PM »
Heh WOOOO air force :) did he choke or did he exclaim how smooth it was?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »
Half way between those two, with the declaration being all hoarse.

He and his brother spent most of the Vietnam, whatever that was, blitzed on gin in Okinawa (I actually want to do a film about their experiences).

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
27 – White Russian

34 points    
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #5 DB Barnes

This is a very good "change-of-pace" drink, especially when you're in the mood for something very sweet. More often than not, I'll substitute Baileys for the cream. Also a bit of a dangerous drink as it goes down extremely easy.

Oh, and Johnny. You referenced Marcella Hazan but not The Dude?!?

I once drank a liter of watermelon schnapps and eventually started throwing up a chunky red substance.  The experience made my mouth and nose feel like they were on fire.

That's one for The Booze Chronicles.