Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 40010 times)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »
Yeah. I love Cherry Dr. Pepper and have a fridge stocked with it right now. Cherry Vanilla is no longer available in our area, and the taste of vanilla really added to the experience. I miss it.

yes i checked my local store we only have cherry and regular nowadays.  but i do recall the cherry vanilla with fondness.

but my favorite variation was the berry dr pepper.  holy moly that was good.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »

45 – Pineapple Juice

25 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #8 Cole Stratton

Information from pineapplejuice.com
Fresh pineapple juice is extremely nutritious, as it contains many essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, Thiamine, vitamin B6, Manganese, Potassium, Magnesium, and even a little Calcium and protein. Processed pineapple juice can be nutritious as well, however during the processing procedure it's usually mixed with large volumes of sugar, as well as many other unhealthy synthetic preservatives. To maximize the health benefits of consuming this juice, we highly recommend that you drink pineapple juice made fresh from the juicer. If you don't have a juicer, you are really missing out on a fun and delicious way to improve your overall diet. In the paragraphs below we'll outline why drinking pineapple juice is healthy, and exactly what it contains that your body needs.

Eight ounces of pineapple juice contains as much as 75% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin C. As most of you are already aware, vitamin C is vital to increasing the body's natural resistance to disease, especially during periods of excessive physically activity. Vitamin C is also crucial in promoting cell growth and development, as well as tissue repair. Without vitamin C, our bodies could not produce collagen, an essential protein responsible for the creation of our skin, scar tissue, ligaments, tendons, and blood vessels. There are many common and readily available fruits and vegetables that contain this important vitamin, in addition to pineapples. To really up your daily dosage, juice your pineapple with oranges, strawberries, broccoli, cantaloupe, papaya, blueberries, lemons, or cranberries.

Eight ounces of pineapple juice also contains roughly 20% of the daily recommended allowance of Potassium. Potassium is an important mineral that helps maintain proper kidney functions. It is also a natural electrolyte, which are essential components within your body that conduct electricity. Other benefits of healthy levels of Potassium include overall heart health, steady muscle contraction, and proper digestive functions. Recent studies have also concluded that high blood pressure could be related to not maintaining high enough levels of Potassium in the diet. In addition to pineapples, there are many other fruits and vegetables that contain large amounts of Potassium. For a healthy dose of this essential mineral, try juicing your pineapple with bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, kiwi fruit, cherries, or apricots.

In addition to vitamin C and Potassium, an eight ounce glass of pineapple juice also contains roughly 20% of the daily recommended allowance of Thiamine. Thiamine is a water soluble vitamin within the B group of vitamins. One of the primary functions of this vitamin is to convert carbohydrates into raw energy. It's also extremely important in maintaining a healthy nervous system, and heart. There are not many fruits and vegetables that contain large volumes of Thiamine, as it's particularly found in whole grains and eggs. To maximize your intake of it, you can juice your pineapple with asparagus, cauliflower, oranges, or strawberries. Another intake alternative would be to skip the juicer altogether, and use a blender to make an oatmeal, flax seed, orange, and pineapple smoothie.

Lastly we're going to discuss vitamin B6. One eight ounce glass of pineapple juice contains roughly 12% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is another water soluble vitamin, which is essential in maintaining a large spectrum of healthy bodily functions. These functions include red blood cell metabolism, nervous and immune system wellness, as well as blood sugar regulation. Like Potassium, large quantities of vitamin B6 are not found in most fruits and vegetables, as it's primarily based in cereals, grains, beans, roast beef, fish, and avocado. It will be hard to attain a large dosage without consuming a large volume of juice. I have however made a pineapple, avocado, and rolled oats smoothie, using orange juice as the base. It tasted great, and I recommend giving it a try.

Drink Recipe – Cinderella

The taste of tropical fruit comes to life in this refreshing mocktail. If you'd like a more elegant looking Cinderella, cut all of the juices and ginger ale in half and serve it in a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with both pineapple and orange slices and don't forget that little paper umbrella for an extra finishing touch.
Ingredients:
•   1 oz lemon juice
•   1 oz orange juice
•   1 oz pineapple juice
•   2 oz Ginger ale
•   dash of grenadine
•   pineapple and orange slices for garnish
Preparation:
1.   Pour the juices into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
2.   Shake well.
3.   Strain into a chilled collins glass filled with ice.
4.   Garnish with the slices of pineapple and/or orange.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6BUIlgpybU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k6BUIlgpybU</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2011, 05:06:26 AM »
Gah! Death Juice! Death Juice!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2011, 05:18:41 AM »
Then you haven't had the fortune of Pineapple Juice made from fresh Thai pineapples.  Mmm, tangy!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:52 AM »
No, because it would kill me, I know it tastes nice but anaphylaxis is a wee bit high of a price to pay for tasty beverages. :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »
44 – Mexican Coca-Cola

25 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Cole Stratton
Preferred serving: from a glass bottle (Cole Stratton)

Mexican Coke (informally "MexiCoke") is Coca-Cola that is made and bottled in Mexico. Although intended for consumption in Mexico, Mexican Coke has become very popular in the United States because of a flavor that Mexican Coke fans call "a lot more natural tasting." This "more natural" taste can be partially attributed to the use of refined cane sugar in Mexican Coke, as opposed to the high-fructose corn syrup found in nearly all soft drinks bottled in the United States because of tariffs on imported sugar. Mexican Coke is also bottled in a thick glass bottle.

Noted preferred serIn taste tests, tasters have noted that the Mexican Coke has "a more complex flavor with an ineffable spicy and herbal note" and that it contained something "that darkly hinted at root beer or old-fashioned sarsaparilla candies." Some have suggested that the flavor resembles that of the kola nut. Tasters have also commented that the Mexican Coke lacks the acidic, chemical taste of American Coke and that it "tastes a lot more like a naturally sweet beverage such as juice."

Mexican Coke is bottled in a thick 355 mL or 500 mL glass bottle, which some have described in contrast to the American Coke plastic bottles as being "more elegant, with a pleasingly nostalgic shape." Also, instead of having a paper label stuck onto the bottle, the Mexican label is built inside of the glass, with a smaller external nutritional facts sticker.

Mexican Coke is becoming more widely carried throughout the United States, appearing in some chain grocery stores such as Publix, Kroger, Wal-Mart (as well as Sams Club), Costco, WinCo Foods, Sack 'n Save, and Target, along with local ethnic grocery stores. Certain branches of the Circle K convenience store chain carry the drink as well. In addition these stores may also sell imported Fanta orange soda with refined cane sugar along side this Coke type. The World of Coca-Cola also sells Mexican Coke in its gift store, giving a subtle nod from the Atlanta headquarters to the beverage's popularity in the United States. Mexican Coke has become so popular that a website, WhereToFindMexicanCoke.com, dedicated to listing Mexican Coke retail store locations has sprung up.

Drink-Based Recipe – Mexican Coca Cola Chicken

2 pounds chicken wings, wings and drummettes separated
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
3/4 cup Mexican Coca-Cola (not diet or anything flavored!)
2 scallions, chopped
A few pinches of freshly ground black pepper

1. Put the chicken wings in a large bowl and pour half of the soy sauce on top. Turn the wings so they are well-coated and allow them to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature.
2. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken wings until they are golden brown on each side but not cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes. Pour in the other half of the soy sauce, the sherry, and the Coke and bring the liquid to a simmer. Simmer the wings for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced to a glaze.
3. Either sprinkle the scallions into the wok and stir them with the chicken wings and sauce, or save them for garnish. Season the chicken with black pepper. Transfer the chicken to a plate, garnish with scallions if you did not used them already, and serve.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceMAtjxtDl0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ceMAtjxtDl0</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »

43 – Ecto-Cooler

26 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Team RAD
Preferred Variant: Fake Ecto-Cooler from the Ghostbuster Chicago Division (Darth Geek)

Ecto-Cooler was a product tie-in with the cartoon series The Real Ghostbusters, based on the 1984 live-action film, Ghostbusters. Hi-C struck a deal in 1987 to promote the series by developing a drink. Expected to last only as long as the series, the drink was successful beyond expectations and continued after the series' 1991 cancellation to be produced for more than a decade. The Ecto-Cooler box featured The Real Ghostbusters character Slimer, as did the commercials. Slimer left the box sometime around 1997, but Minute Maid did not discontinue the product until 2001, at which point it was renamed Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen. Slimer was replaced on the packaging by a similar-looking blob of lips. The product was still noted as ecto cool on many store receipts. In 2006, Shoutin' Orange Tangergreen was renamed Crazy Citrus Cooler. In 2007, Crazy Citrus Cooler was discontinued. In 2011, a Chicago Ghostbusters group made a recipe that was said to taste exactly like the original.

Drink Recipe – Aforementioned Chicago-style Ecto-Cooler

1 Packet Kool Aid/Flavor Aid Orange
1 Packet Kool Aid/Flavor Aid Tangerine
3/4 Cup Orange Juice (No Pulp)
3/4 Cup Tangerine Juice/1 can mashed Mandarin Oranges
1/3 scoop Countrytime Lemonade (Reg or Pink)
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
Green and blue food coloring for color.

Most of these items are easy to find. To find the Kool Aid, visit Kraft's Product Locatorand search for both the orange and tangerine flavors. For the Flavor Aid, I suggest here to find both flavors: Mix-And-Match Any 2 flavors of Flavor Aid - MyBrands.com

For the Tangerine Juice (If you don't wanna mash the tangerines yourself) Check Noble Juice's locator site to find the juice in your area: Where to Find Noble Juice at NobleJuice.com

1) In a 1 Gallon pitcher, start by putting in your orange juice and tangerine juice. If you happen to be using the Mandarin oranges as a juice source, be sure to strain the pulp out unless you so wish it.

2) After your juices are in, put in the packets of Flavor Aid and the 1/3 scoop of Lemonade mix and mix up the concentrate. The Lemonade is used to make the mixture slightly more bitter to give it the zing the original Ecto-Cooler had. You may have to adjust to get it to your taste.

3) Add water, put in your sugar and stir until dissolved. Again, if you're using Countrytime Lemonade, sugar is already added to the mixture so you might have to adjust for your personal taste by adding more sugar than the stated 1 1/2 cups.

4) Add your food coloring. The red in the Flavor Aid is deep enough to skew the color of the green, but with enough drops, you can make it green. It won't be that happy bright green we remember, but at least it'll be green. You also want to add a few drops of the blue in the mix to get it a more even green.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdARlTpw_Y0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KdARlTpw_Y0</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »

42 – Monster Energy

26 points
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #11 Gojikranz

Monster Energy is an energy drink that was launched by Hansen Natural in 2002.
Monster Energy is marketed and distributed by Hansen Natural a listed company of Corona, California. Though it is not widely advertised in the media, Monster receives a large amount of recognition from its sponsorship of various sporting events. Hansen Natural Corporation announced a distribution agreement with Anheuser-Busch in the U.S. and Grupo Jumex in Mexico. Hansen Natural Corporation announced a distribution deal with PepsiCo Canada in February of 2007. Contracts with existing distributors were bought out in these markets. In Germany Pepsi is the Producer and it is available there since summer/fall 2010. It is distributed in Australia by Schweppes as Coca-Cola Amatil manufactures Mother energy drink, which is an exclusive energy drink sold only in Australia and New Zealand

Drink Recipe – Absolute Monster

4 oz Absolut® vanilla vodka
4 oz Monster® energy drink
4 oz ice cubes

Combine the Absolut vanilla vodka, Monster energy drink and ice cubes in a blender. Blend until slushy, pour into a highball glass, and serve.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdFBnCfRC7A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gdFBnCfRC7A</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »
41 – Coca-Cola Vanilla

27 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #9 Pak-Man

Coca-Cola Vanilla is the limited relaunch of the formerly produced Vanilla Coke soft drink from the early 2000s. Vanilla Coke is a vanilla flavored version of Coca-Cola Classic.

The Coca-Cola Company announced in early 2002 that Vanilla Coke would be introduced initially in the United States with distribution starting May 15, 2002, followed by a rollout in Canada. The introduction of vanilla flavor was hailed by The Coca-Cola Company as "the greatest innovation since Diet Coke in 1983".

In November 2005, after slumping sales, The Coca-Cola Company announced that Vanilla Coke would be discontinued in North America andGreat Britain by the end of the year.

In January 2006 Coca-Cola launched Black Cherry Vanilla Coke and Diet Black Cherry Vanilla Coke, a fusion of Cola, Black Cherry and Vanilla Flavors.

In 2007 Coca-Cola Vanilla was re-introduced in the U.S. with new packaging and with several new variants.

Drink Recipe – Jack’s Vanilla Coke

2 oz Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey
1 tsp vanilla
11 oz Coca-Cola®

Pour the ingredients into a tall glass, and add 3 - 5 ice cubes. Stir with a stirrer to get the vanilla off the bottom.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L69vsH3RTpo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L69vsH3RTpo</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:05 AM »
OK, that's the list for today. Short, I know, but tomorrow we will have 10 a day.  Without revealing too much expect alcohol, juices and some brand name products.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »
oh man ecto cooler.  classic loved that as a kid.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
Been any interesting and diverse list so far. 

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »
Ovaltine?  Why do they call it Ovaltine?  The jar is round.  The glass is round.  They should call it Roundtine.

I love Ovaltine, though everyone else I know hates it, especially my parents.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6306
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
oh man ecto cooler.  classic loved that as a kid.
Definitely check out the Chicago Ghostbusters recipe, then, it's really good.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 315
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
46 – Bacon-Infused Bourbon

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Cole Stratton

This is a thing I've never heard of before. This is also too much work to do on my own, but I would like to try it. Next time I'm in a bar, I'll order this, and when the bartender balks, I'll fly into a rage that will either get me a free drink or get my ass kicked in a back alley. I prefer the former.

This is seriously the best thing ever. I've infused a couple of bottles worth--it's a process, but worth it. I keep it in the freezer, and often make the PDT old-fashioned with it (we call it the Lumberjack Old Fashioned--the combo of the bacon bourbon with maple syrup, orange rind and orange bitters is beyond tasty). We use Four Roses bourbon, which is about 25 bucks a bottle.

Speaking of PDT--if you're ever in New York, you gotta go! PDT stands for Please Don't Tell (you can find info on Yelp--so much for secrecy!). It's a hidden speakeasy in the Village. You make a reservation starting at 3pm the day you want to go--it's inside of Crif Dogs. There's a phone booth in the corner, you pick up the receiver and tell them you have a reservation, and then the wall of the phone booth opens up and---cool bar! They have amazing cocktails from some of the city's best mixologists--in addition to the bacon bourbon drink, they have things like the Paddington, which features orange marmalade. They also have a special gourmet hot dog menu, where chefs like WD40's Wiley Dufrene have contributed to the menu. It's a little pricey (drinks are $14, I believe), but go and have 1 or 2 and enjoy the experience. They don't overcrowd it--everyone has a seat!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!