Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 39970 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
That sounds like an awesome place to drink, it also sounds like where maxwell smart would go.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
That does sound fantastic. I'd totally pretend I was a spy and wear an Adam Chance yellow cardigan.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
an Adam Chance yellow cardigan.
I had to look that up because when I read that name I think of this bloke

From the british soap opera (and a show produced in my neck fo the woods) Crossroads, I'd post a vid of it but I think Victoria Wood did a better job of distilling it's "charms":

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqTznu59InY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dqTznu59InY</a>

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
That's interesting about Mexican Coke, I've never heard of that. My parents are always going on about how much better Coke used to be back when it used sugar instead of corn syrup. My father says it just tastes like carbonated Karo Syrup now. I've never had any, however not too long ago, Dr Pepper was making an anniversary edition that was made with sugar (for the same price as the regular stuff to boot). And yes, it was definitely much better. They must have stopped though because I can't find it any more.

Still haven't seen anything from my list.

spaceforarent

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
That's interesting about Mexican Coke, I've never heard of that. My parents are always going on about how much better Coke used to be back when it used sugar in stead of corn syrup. My father says it just tastes like carbonated Karo Syrup now. I've never had any, however not too long ago, Dr Pepper was making an anniversary edition that was made with sugar (for same price as the regular stuff to boot). And yes, it was definitely much better. They must have stopped though because I can't find it any more.

Not sure where you're from, but if you happen to have the grocery chain Wegmans they sell it there, along with Mexican Fanta at some (I saw it in Buffalo, NY but not around here (Syracuse)). Other grocery stores have started selling it around here as well. Definitely worth a try if you like Coke.
Pepsi and Mountain Dew come out with a Throwback version every once in a while, which is made with sugar instead of HFCS. I don't normally drink Pepsi, even less so Mountain Dew, but I'll usually pick up a few bottles when they're available.

MontyServo

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
That's interesting about Mexican Coke, I've never heard of that. My parents are always going on about how much better Coke used to be back when it used sugar in stead of corn syrup. My father says it just tastes like carbonated Karo Syrup now. I've never had any, however not too long ago, Dr Pepper was making an anniversary edition that was made with sugar (for same price as the regular stuff to boot). And yes, it was definitely much better. They must have stopped though because I can't find it any more.

Not sure where you're from, but if you happen to have the grocery chain Wegmans they sell it there, along with Mexican Fanta at some (I saw it in Buffalo, NY but not around here (Syracuse)). Other grocery stores have started selling it around here as well. Definitely worth a try if you like Coke.
Pepsi and Mountain Dew come out with a Throwback version every once in a while, which is made with sugar instead of HFCS. I don't normally drink Pepsi, even less so Mountain Dew, but I'll usually pick up a few bottles when they're available.

Also, at certain times of the year, you can get real sugar Coke here in the States.  Coke puts out "Kosher Coca Cola" in 2 Liter bottles, and it is made with real sugar instead of corn syrup.  

Passover might not be starting until next week, but Coca Cola has already begun distributing 2-liter bottles of its kosher formula, which replaces high fructose corn syrup with sugar, to stores around the country. I know because I've got some chilling in the fridge.

If you're unfamiliar with the kosher coke and want to find it on the shelves of your grocery store, look for 2-liter bottles with yellow caps stamped like the one in the picture here. You can also double check the ingredients label. If you see "sucrose" instead of HFCS, then you're probably on the right track.

Kosher Coke is very popular among lovers of real-sugar sodas, who will occasionally stock up on bottles to save for the rest of the year.

So you can keep an eye out for that as well in your stores.

Here is the Wiki info:

Kosher Coca-Cola

Kosher Coca-Cola produced for Passover is sold in 2-liter bottles with a yellow cap marked with an OU-P, indicating that the Orthodox Jewish Union certifies the soda as Kosher for Passover, or with a white cap with a CRC-P indicating that the certification is provided by the Chicago Rabbinical Council.

While the usual Coca-Cola formula is kosher (the original glycerin from beef tallow having been replaced by vegetable glycerin), during Passover Ashkenazi Jews do not consume Kitniyot, which prevents them from consuming high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Even sugar-based formulae would still require certification of both the formula and the specific bottling plant, as the strictures of Kashrut on Passover are far higher and more complicated than usual kosher observance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:56:59 PM by Monty »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1002
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
That's interesting about Mexican Coke, I've never heard of that.

Check your grocery store's "ethnic" isle. Around here they've got the Asian, Italian, kosher and hispanic related foodstuffs in the same isle, and our local chains usually have a few bottles of drinks from Mexico, including coke, stashed there. The local Walmarts also stick the Qwik in that isle, for some reason.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1002
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
That sounds like an awesome place to drink, it also sounds like where maxwell smart would go.

It also sounds a lot like Milwaukee's Safe House bar, which used to be the place to hang out at Gen Con.  You needed a password to get in, or else you had to perform something embarrassing before you could get in.  This was, of course, broadcast to the folks inside the bar. Still, it's a Bond-styled spy bar. How can you not love it?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Sadly, Ecto-Cooler and Mexican Coke have never touched my lips.  Probably won't have the opportunity to try the Coke, but I might try making the fake Ecto-Cooler sometime.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »
Surge protector in housemate's room is busted, so I won't be able to get the list going until tomorrow or later tonight.  If tomorrow, I'll make up for it with 20 entries.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
So this didn't make the list?

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
heh maybe it did its just further along :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »
So this didn't make the list?

I want a Snake Juice machine.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
40 – Vodka

29 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #7 BBQ Platypus

Vodka (Polish: wódka, Russian: водка) is a distilled beverage. It is composed primarily of water and ethanol with traces of impurities and flavorings. Vodka is made by distillation of fermented substances such as grains, potatoes, or sometimes fruits.

Traditionally prepared vodkas had an alcoholic content of 38% by volume. Today, the standard Polish, Russian and Lithuanianvodkas are 40% abv (80 proof), although many non-export Russian brands are sold at 38%. The European Union has established a minimum of 37.5% alcohol by volume content for any European vodka to be named as such. Products sold as vodka in theUnited States must have an alcoholic content of 40% or more. Homemade vodka, referred to as "samogon" in Russia and Ukraine, sometimes has an ABV as high as 62%.

Vodka is traditionally drunk neat in the vodka belt countries of Eastern Europe and around the Baltic Sea. It is also commonly used in cocktails and mixed drinks, such as the Bloody Mary, the Screwdriver, the Sex on the Beach, the White Russian, the Black Russian, the vodka tonic, and the vodka martini.

Drink Recipe – Accomplice

Ingredients:
•   1 oz simple syrup
•   2 oz Stolichnaya vodka
•   1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
•   Champagne
•   3 strawberries
•   superfine sugar for rimming
Preparation:
1.   Muddle three strawberries and simple syrup in acocktail shaker.
2.   Add the vodka and lemon juice.
3.   Shake well.
4.   Strain into a sugar-rimmed martini glass.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5p0QtJMKt1s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5p0QtJMKt1s</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
40 – Vodka

29 points
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #7 BBQ Platypus

In high school, we used to score the 1.75L plastic bottles of Kamchatka. Not only was it dirt-cheap, but the plastic bottle came in handy when it was invariably dropped on the kitchen floor. We'd mix with just about any kind of juice: cranberry, orange, pineapple, tomato, grapefruit, lime, lemon, corn, green peppers, chili *sigh* onions.