login

Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 274403 times)

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #1335 on: May 21, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
Yeah, I'd say that it's definitely inspired by it. The lens flares alone made me think that.  Fucking abrams.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4989
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1337 on: May 27, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Just wrapped up Season 5 of Voyager..
The first half of the season's episodes were actually fairly decent and the latter half went back to 'condition bland'.. 
Even the extended episode with the Borg queen had its bland moments :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3085
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1338 on: May 27, 2016, 11:15:05 PM »
There are a bunch in a row early in the season that are fairly good, the recreation of starfleet academy, the one where Neelix tries to distract Naomi while her mom is missing, and the one where Harry sends a message back through time.  After that I think there are only a few more good ones, the one with the think tank and the one with the time ship from the future.

The one with the warhead is a really interesting concept, but it does drag on a bit, not quite enough story there for an entire episode.

And I guess the one with the generational ship that needs repairs was interesting as well.

The one where Tom gets demoted for trying to save that ocean in space was almost good, but as much as they tried to make it compelling it did suffer from the blandness you mention.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1339 on: May 28, 2016, 04:32:41 AM »
There are a bunch in a row early in the season that are fairly good, the recreation of starfleet academy, the one where Neelix tries to distract Naomi while her mom is missing, and the one where Harry sends a message back through time.  After that I think there are only a few more good ones, the one with the think tank and the one with the time ship from the future.

The one with the warhead is a really interesting concept, but it does drag on a bit, not quite enough story there for an entire episode.

And I guess the one with the generational ship that needs repairs was interesting as well.

The one where Tom gets demoted for trying to save that ocean in space was almost good, but as much as they tried to make it compelling it did suffer from the blandness you mention.
I agree with you here on all counts :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1340 on: May 29, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
I would have to agree with this as well :o
http://www.headstuff.org/2016/05/star-trek-deep-space-nine/

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1341 on: May 29, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
I would have to agree with this as well :o
http://www.headstuff.org/2016/05/star-trek-deep-space-nine/

Enterprise season 3 and sections of season 4 should also be included.

Funny timing, I watched about 9 hours of DS9 on Netflix last night.

I'd say if binge watching the shows for the first time DS9 would be the most rewarding due to it getting more and more serialized as it goes along.

I tend to randomly jump around a series when I binge watch, picking out either episodes I love or ones I don't remember that much, last night I watched a few DS9s I don't remember at all, Profit and Loss, and Rejoined.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5529

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1343 on: May 31, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
I hope the rumor about the first season being focused on the mirror universe isn't true.  I'm kind of sick of it.

The mirror universe as the big bad trying to invade the Federation might be OK, but not a season set in the mirror universe.

Hope they don't use the popularity of those Enterprise episodes as the reason to do an entire season like that.  I've found that the novelty of those episodes wears off after a few time watching them, these days I wish they were regular episodes of that series because it was just starting to get good.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1344 on: May 31, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
I hope the rumor about the first season being focused on the mirror universe isn't true.  I'm kind of sick of it.

The mirror universe as the big bad trying to invade the Federation might be OK, but not a season set in the mirror universe.

Hope they don't use the popularity of those Enterprise episodes as the reason to do an entire season like that.  I've found that the novelty of those episodes wears off after a few time watching them, these days I wish they were regular episodes of that series because it was just starting to get good.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1345 on: May 31, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »

Mostly I liked seeing the original designs again. One of the things I'd love to see is some of the other Constitution-class ships in an anthology in the TOS era.  The "Vanguard" novels did this and they were awesome.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Now I'm reading the current rumor is that CBS doesn't want to confuse fans and the TOS timeline is dead, the new series will be in the JJverse.   I hope not, that would mean no way to have stories on Vulcan.

I'm about a week into building this, still some seams to fill and paint over, then decals:

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5529
« Reply #1347 on: June 01, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »
Nah.  Most of the articles I've read support the old timeline stuff, though the confusion may be why its release is being delayed until after the movie.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7353
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1348 on: June 03, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
i forgot just how damned emotional the enterprise theme is.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1349 on: June 04, 2016, 06:40:11 PM »
Finished season 6 of Voyager and again the episodes were half & half..
I liked the 2 episodes with Barclay and Troi. It was fun to see them in character.
The Borg children episodes had their moments..
And the season ends in Unimatrix 0 with Tuvok, Tores, & Janeway being assimilated  :o