Author Topic: Are you a "Survivor"-er?  (Read 9876 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Are you a "Survivor"-er?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »
Yeah, Coach is the only one playing a real game.  It's sad that he's got no competition, but fun to see him redeem himself after a couple of terrible (yet entertaining) performances in his previous outings.  I was amazed that he was even entertaining the possibility of voting out Edna, who seems like his most loyal little minion.  Maybe it was a show to make others like Cochran feel less threatened.
Speaking of which, what was with that promise of doing everything in Coach's power to keep him safe during their massages? I would've thrown that in his face SO hard. Well, at least if he gets to the Final Three, he'll have a chance to (oh wait... I mean, Redemption Island now  ::)). And if he was forward-thinking enough, he would mention it in Tribal with enough plausible deniability for safe measure. Tho starve me for 20 days, I doubt I'd have any brain power to think that well.

Offline deevolve

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 9
  • Sam. But if I was a rapper, I'd go by MC Delta T.
    • Sam & Rob present
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
Could Brandon have made a stupider move this week?  "I'm feeling like Coach and the rest of my tribe are being really distant and remote.  Why don't I give away my immunity idol?"  Brilliant.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
"This game is not made for me, bro."  :D

And the realization comes crashing down on Brandon. Sad knowing that his dad/family are going to be so disappointed about his bad playing skills. But tribal made it really poetic. Bringing up his past was an amazing analogy. The "Loco" tattoo taking on a whole different meaning. Makes for good tv. SUCKS in a game of Survivor! Haha!

My guess? Sophie's gonna win. My main man Albert is DEF gonna be out ASAP. It's been way too easy to predict who's going home this whole season. Too bad Albert's gotta be a bad guy. But better a bad guy at 5th than a good one at 6th.

Now vote Cowboy out! He's gotta be the most uninteresting coat-tail rider EVER.  :P

shodan

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »
George Carlin- ISLAND CUISINE- this idea grew out of survivor but i have a new twist. you put twelve people on a barren island, and you let them starve to death. you make sure they get no food, but you provide plenty of fresh drinking water - you dont want them to die of thirst, you want them to starve to death. that would be entertaining enough, but here's the fun. you make sure half the contestants are large, aggressive, physically fit individuals and the other half are small mild mannered and physically weak. then you wait them out and see who survives- and, more fun, you watch how they do it. the show is called guess who's for dinner.. the only part i havent decided on yet is whether to provide utensils.

Offline deevolve

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Sam & Rob present
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
"This game is not made for me, bro."  :D

And the realization comes crashing down on Brandon. Sad knowing that his dad/family are going to be so disappointed about his bad playing skills. But tribal made it really poetic. Bringing up his past was an amazing analogy. The "Loco" tattoo taking on a whole different meaning. Makes for good tv. SUCKS in a game of Survivor! Haha!

My guess? Sophie's gonna win. My main man Albert is DEF gonna be out ASAP. It's been way too easy to predict who's going home this whole season. Too bad Albert's gotta be a bad guy. But better a bad guy at 5th than a good one at 6th.

Now vote Cowboy out! He's gotta be the most uninteresting coat-tail rider EVER.  :P

Yeah, Jeff did an amazing job bringing Brandon's past out.  He is masterful at Tribal Council - Probst brings everything into the open and almost never takes sides or shows bias.  Odd that his fine investigative skills have gone unnoticed by the Pulitzer committee.

Agreed on Albert, but not Sophie. I think Coach has such a lock on this thing, Sophie only beats him if she can snap herself and the rest of the tribe out of their cultish blind affection for him. Now.

And Cowboy's boring, inoffensively non-compelling personality is exactly why he's a shoe-in for the final three. No jury member would vote for him; any votes he got would be spite votes against other finalists.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »
Yeah, Jeff did an amazing job bringing Brandon's past out.  He is masterful at Tribal Council - Probst brings everything into the open and almost never takes sides or shows bias.
And points/hints at obvious strategy moves cuz he knows we're all thinking the same thing! He did that more than once this season, and it's SO welcomed.

Sophie seems like she's playing into the cult more than anyone. She might be the smartest one there (Coach notwithstanding). Sure, it's easy to say he'll win, but he's also seen as the mastermind. What did Sophie do? Well, she held her own. Did more than Rick and doesn't carry the blame Coach does. That's why I think she has a good chance of winning. Besides, I would love to see Coach win because he deserves it more than anyone this season. Things rarely work as planned so I could see some freak event take Coach out. So, I'll clarify: If not Coach, then Sophie.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 04:40:33 AM »
What annoyed me about Coach was his obvious pandering to the editors before every vote.  He knows the editors are looking for drama, for sound bites that make the audience think that somehow the Tribal Vote is up in the air.  If you go back and look through this season, every single time there was a clear course of action for Coach, an obvious vote, he'd do some hand wringing in his private interview about why he might go the other way ... but he'd end up voting exactly the way as expected when it came down to it.  So it was all 100% horseshit.  This was especially egregious in the cases of Edna, Brandon, and Ozzy.  There was no way in HELL he was EVER going to tie up Ozzy to give him a shot at staying.  EVER.  But listen to Coach playing to the editor to get more sound bites.

Rob did this last year to a certain extent, because all the vets who've played a couple times know what the editors are looking for and what they'll use, but with Coach it was especially obvious and especially irritating.  To the point I started rooting against him and was glad he lost.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
SEASON FINALE (SPOILERS AHEAD):

I've made 3 predictions of the final win this entire season, and ALL THREE make it to the final! Haha. I called Albert as my first guess at the very start of the season (for different reasons, but I saw his strategy would take him very far). Then several episodes ago, I finally said either Coach or Sophie. As much as I wanted to say Ozzy, you just can't beat the odds of constant winning cuz having one bad day on an important challenge will ruin everything (as it did here).

As for the episode itself, my favorite (non-Ozzy) moment: Edna's speech. Cochran may have asked the most pertinent question (Is Coach loyal?), but Edna hit the nail on the head. How can anyone be surprised or disgusted by who wins? They all signed up for this. They only have themselves to blame. And I also loved that the whole season was both the most Christian and the most atheistic (per the last episode; religion as a tool for oppression/manipulation).

But who did I bet my money on?
My guess? Sophie's gonna win.
Yeeeeah, buddy!

Sophie seems like she's playing into the cult more than anyone. She might be the smartest one there (Coach notwithstanding). Sure, it's easy to say he'll win, but he's also seen as the mastermind. What did Sophie do? Well, she held her own. Did more than Rick and doesn't carry the blame Coach does. That's why I think she has a good chance of winning. Besides, I would love to see Coach win because he deserves it more than anyone this season. Things rarely work as planned so I could see some freak event take Coach out. So, I'll clarify: If not Coach, then Sophie.
Dang it! I was SO proud of this prediction because it spelled out exactly what happened. In fact, Sophie said (and was accused) a lot of what I said there. Coach played Rob's game of cult leader from last year, but he brought strong players instead of weak (Rob brought weak people). And he wasn't as charismatic or controlling. Without those, the whole thing falls apart. And you see that at the final tribal. I say "Dang it", because, rereading the post, I'm surprised to find I mis-wrote something. That "freak event" was in reference to OZZY (not Coach). As in, Ozzy loses by some freak event, i.e. winning streaks are prone to small but important losses.

Overall, an entertaining season. Cochran thankfully kept it alive. A string of lulling episodes, but all in all, a worthy season.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:51:53 PM by stansimpson »

Offline deevolve

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Sam & Rob present
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 04:27:28 AM »

I've made 3 predictions of the final win this entire season, and ALL THREE make it to the final! Haha. I called Albert as my first guess at the very start of the season (for different reasons, but I saw his strategy would take him very far). Then several episodes ago, I finally said either Coach or Sophie. As much as I wanted to say Ozzy, you just can't beat the odds of constant winning cuz having one bad day on an important challenge will ruin everything (as it did here).

Indeed, gotta give you props for calling it.  I thought Coach was more well liked by his tribe.  Overall, an okay season.  Upolu's dominance made it pretty boring at times, but it had its dramatic moments.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »

Indeed, gotta give you props for calling it.  I thought Coach was more well liked by his tribe.  Overall, an okay season.  Upolu's dominance made it pretty boring at times, but it had its dramatic moments.

Thanks.  ;D All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want. Is my fair share.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
Anyone watch the premiere tonight?  I love the new dynamic of them all living on one beach.  Makes camp life really interesting.  They've already started with the deals and thievery.  Hopefully it does nothing but escalate from here. I'm also incredibly happy that there are no returnees.  So tired of seeing the same old faces every year.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline deevolve

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Sam & Rob present
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
Anyone watch the premiere tonight?  I love the new dynamic of them all living on one beach.  Makes camp life really interesting.  They've already started with the deals and thievery.  Hopefully it does nothing but escalate from here. I'm also incredibly happy that there are no returnees.  So tired of seeing the same old faces every year.

Agreed about the two tribes in one camp; it should make for some good secret alliances.

Funny, Kourtney made a terrible first impression on me.  Anyone whose first statement is "I don't fit in here" is probably doomed. The greats do well with a wide range of personalities.  Boston Rob did so great a couple of seasons ago because he knew he could fit in with anyone. Alliances of totally different types of people are not uncommon and often successful.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
Definitely a cutthroat season. Will make for great tv, but I'd also like to see some sportsmanship.  At least the guys are smart enough to trade that for longevity.  ;) The Asian woman (sorry, forgot her name) made the smart move too. You hafta bargain. Can't believe she was chastised for that.

So, my first impressions and guesses:

Women:  Chelsea ("country girl" who caught the chickens) is gonna go far. Very far. She will make it to the merge or maybe even the Top 5. Alicia is cancer, but she is also very strong. They need her for challenges, but she'll tear apart their morality. I say ditch her. And Kim? I'm gonna say the most glamorous, beautiful Survivor to ever play. And she's smart enough to hold her own. I just hope she lucks into the right alliance.

Men:  Matt's a douche, flat out. I think the guys see that too and want to get him out... when it's time. Colton is going to be a very fun problem for them and a highlight of the season. Their camp being divided is awful. They'll be wanting to take out each alpha males thereby weakening the whole, and Colton, if he's smart enough, will capitalize on that.

Looking forward to a very interesting season. I actually enjoy seeing old members return (mainly when they're very strong players). But I'll gladly take this as well.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
What a gaggle of stupid people. I've just got a couple things to say about Wed night's ep:

Most egregious move in "Survivor" history. What happened to the no-mercy guy tribe who understood when their numbers were up? Too bad the only "smart" ones bend to the power of Colton.

And secondly, how come Sab (the black woman in pink bandana) is the only one who knows how to strategize with her ego in check? Everyone's ego will be the death of them. She sees it in everyone and is smart enough to let them be their own demise. Colton is the 2nd smartest, but he's drunk with power. I've lost interest in all the players except Sab. Waiting till next season rolls around for a, hopefully, better batch of people.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
I have no idea how the racist and classist Colton went from being a complete outcast on his tribe to running the entire show in just like two episodes. I guess the other guys on his tribe are just easily lead and stupid. Tarzan is fucking nuts, I don't know how any of them have managed to put up with him this long, other than the fact that they're all pretty gross.

And I'm glad there's at least talk about getting rid of Alicia. I can't stand her. I mean, I know she's got giant tits, but her mouth makes her extremely unattractive.
Bonhead #2
fs!!