Author Topic: What was wrong with the 80s?!  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was wrong with the 80s?!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »
Before even clicking I knew they were gonna have Dudley getting touched from Diff'rent Strokes!!
You know, I watched the show a lot when I was little and I remember the other episode they cite in the article, very vividly, but until I saw it on the web in a similar article I had no recollection of the Bicycle Man one. Maybe they chose not to show it in England.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
Yeah. "Watch it with your parents" was always a good sign it was going to cast aside the bonds of comedy and do drama for one night. Of course, it was always back to normal the next episode...

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
I was always grateful when the advertisements leading up to an episode referred to it as "A very special episode of..."  It translated to, "hey let's check out one of the other stations."  Or, "hey, let's read a book."

hey read a book is usually the best response whenever someone wants to put on a sitcom

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
My wife actually told me all about this article after I came home from work yesterday, the only one I knew of was the Bicycle Shop and that wasn't from watching it.  Just hearing about it and catching joking references to it on other shows was enough to give me the gist.  I always avoided "Very special episodes" as a kid.  It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I could appreciate a comedy show that could get serious, and by then it was shows like Futurama pulling a tearjerker moment with Fry's past or someone dying on Scrubs.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
Yeah the WKRP episode was based on a real incident. I think it was a special floor area seating and people rushed the stage and a few were trampled.

Yes, I know that. But the tone in that episode shifts from 20 minutes of wackiness to 5 minutes of Mr. Carlson giving an angry speech about... well, stuff. The fact that it was directly based on a real incident doesn't make the tone change any less jarring. You never even see a concert attendee in the episode. The staff gives some tickets away to people we never see and who may or may not have been injured at the concert. There's no emotional connection with the victims there. There's a bigger sense of loss felt when Mike helped blow up Ape World since we could at least see the background apes there.

Russell

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
The 80's was the best decade ever for a few things, but the most significant being the music.

Danecho1967

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »
Yeah the WKRP episode was based on a real incident. I think it was a special floor area seating and people rushed the stage and a few were trampled.

Yes, I know that. But the tone in that episode shifts from 20 minutes of wackiness to 5 minutes of Mr. Carlson giving an angry speech about... well, stuff. The fact that it was directly based on a real incident doesn't make the tone change any less jarring.
The incident happened at a Who concert in Cincinatti in 1979, during the second year the show was on the air.  I think the producers felt it would be wrong to have a show that's set at a rock station in Cincinatti and not mention the event occurred.  So, they did a normal show and tacked the mention on to the end.  In '79, there was a lot less of the social concern about that kind of thing than there is now.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »

Yes, I know that. But the tone in that episode shifts from 20 minutes of wackiness to 5 minutes of Mr. Carlson giving an angry speech about... well, stuff. The fact that it was directly based on a real incident doesn't make the tone change any less jarring.
The incident happened at a Who concert in Cincinatti in 1979, during the second year the show was on the air.  I think the producers felt it would be wrong to have a show that's set at a rock station in Cincinatti and not mention the event occurred.  So, they did a normal show and tacked the mention on to the end.  In '79, there was a lot less of the social concern about that kind of thing than there is now.
Plus, if it was that fresh in the audience's minds then they wouldn't have to show it for there to be an emotional connection.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »
You could write a book about all the strange episodes tv sitcoms have done over the years (including some of  those very special episodes). 

Like the episode of The Cosby Show where all the men are pregnant and Cliff gives birth to a sandwich.  And so on.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
You could write a book about all the strange episodes tv sitcoms have done over the years (including some of  those very special episodes). 

Like the episode of The Cosby Show where all the men are pregnant and Cliff gives birth to a sandwich.  And so on.

What ???

I don't remember that.  Did that really happen?
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

What ???

You better believe it did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx09p2la90

Oddly enough, that's probably the only episode of The Cosby Show I've ever seen in full.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

What ???

You better believe it did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx09p2la90

Oddly enough, that's probably the only episode of The Cosby Show I've ever seen in full.

Good Night!  I watch that show all the time when I was a kid. Boy am I glad I missed that episode. Was that episode written by the writers of Troll 2 by any chance? It seems like the sort of twisted thing they would come up with.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.