Author Topic: Ren and Stimpy  (Read 14322 times)

Offline lapager1

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ren and Stimpy
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 09:46:36 PM »
I dont mind saying I watched R&S since it started on Nickelodeon. I'm not sure if I was a warped child to have watched the show or if the show warped me. I guess I may never know...
Right, anyway, what a truly bizarre show. I love it. Who'da thunk a show about a dog with a voice like Peter Lorre and a cat with voice like Larry Fine (and some interesting gender issues) would become as big as it did. I don't watch very many cartoons today, but when I do, I always see R&S influences in them.
With most people I know, R&S is a pretty polarizing show - either you like it or not. Nothing in-between. When are they going to write The Philosophy of Ren & Stimpy? That would be great
"How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech."  --Soren Kierkegaard

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »
I have a really long story about me meeting Billy West the voice of R&S a few months ago and the strange stuff that happend afterward.

Global warming, where?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3856
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
I Loved Ren & Stimpy!..
The first 3 1/2 seasons were Classics! Then the 'politics' came into effect, the split of John K & Bill West, and the struggling remaining seasons.
The 'Lost' episodes had their few moments, but just didn't have the magic of the early days.
John K., to me, still seems to be a bitter person, and when you try to contact him by email or on his MySpace page, you get No Response by him or anybody affiliated with him.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
John K., to me, still seems to be a bitter person, and when you try to contact him by email or on his MySpace page, you get No Response by him or anybody affiliated with him.

It warms my heart to know that you have repeatedly tried to contact John K.... I don't know why... but it does.

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »
I think Billy West is some what worse in some ways......... goes with my long story.
Global warming, where?

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
I loved this show! My little brother claims that this show is what made him who he is today.  I loved the first few seasons of the show and then after John left they got very random and weird.  I never had the desire to see the Lost Episodes at all when they were first released.

What i think was the greatest stuff from this show was the commercials. 

[yt=425,350]QKHK01e37Kw[/yt]

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »
YES!!
The Commercials were Classics!!
(LOG, Powdered Toast, etc.)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »
Be a good child and eat your sugar sod pops!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:42 AM »
"I'm Billy the Beef Tallow Boy, It's true!
I'll coat your veins with inpenitrable goo!"

Nothing tops the dance of 1000 chickens, though. :^)

[yt=425,350]FwJ8XW8uRJY[/yt]

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 03:43:52 AM »
The Adult Party Cartoon episodes ("The Lost Episodes" on DVD) feature John at his best. He's nowhere nearly as funny under creative restraint. When Nickelodeon took the show away from him and gave it to some no-talent hack, they killed the series. "Adult Party Cartoon" gave John a chance to make a fresh start and do the series as he always wanted to do it. Too bad the morons at Viacom don't have the balls to let him do more episodes direct-to-DVD, so he can show people what REAL CARTOONS are supposed to be like!
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 05:04:59 AM »
Well presumably not enough people agree with you to make it economic, or it would be a no brainer.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 05:21:42 AM »
As a veteren fan from it's inception, His creativity was more Focused back in the early seasons..
Maybe that was forced on to him by the 'higher ups' .
By Unleashing John K., his focus was just not there to me; he was allowed to take R&S to the extreme, but forgot the True essence of what Ren & Stimpy was in the 1st 3 1/2 seasons.
The magic of what it once was, was just not there as it used to be.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:30:28 AM by RVR II »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
The magic of Ren and Stimpy, at least in part, was due to the fact that John K. was getting away with so much and still slipping by with a Y - TV-14 rating. When the M rating let him do whatever he wanted, he lost some of his subtlety, and some of the charm went with it. I can still enjoy the adult party episodes, but at the end of the day, I get more snickers knowing what they got away with in Nurse Stimpy than from any of the Adult Party episodes. :^)

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »
My parents made me lived a deprived childhood. They (i.e. my mom) thought that it was too disgusting/stupid/whatever for me to see it as a kid, and wouldn't let me watch it. After watching a few episodes on the internet, I wish my mom would've cut me some slack as a kid. They were hysterical! I would've gotten the first two seasons yesterday if I had enough money with me at the time. Instead I had to settle for South Park.

Fun Fact: Frank Zappa's last work in any media was in the R&S episode Powdered Toast Man vs. Waffle Woman

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
Yeah! Powdered Toast Man vs Waffle Woman was Excellent!
I can relate to that episode in More Ways than one.. :o