Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47449 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Rifftrax Wishlist 4)
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Yeah see this is why I find the wish list kinda boring.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #406 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
It's my favorite forum event each year.  I look forward to the wish list.  it's interesting to see what people want riffed this year vs.last year and what has been riffed in the mean time.  i think it's fun.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #407 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
L.O.C. #45 - Top Rifftrax We Want to See

Thoughts
This movie is terrible! I can't believe it hasn't been riffed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBAMDPLo70o?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oBAMDPLo70o?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2011, 11:01:56 AM »
Actually, it would be cool if they could reriff Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It would complete the circle. :^)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Animated Series)
« Reply #409 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »
Just 5 days left.  Today's topic is animated series.  Here's that original list:

#50 Darkwing Duck
#49: The Brak Show
#48: Schoolhouse Rock!
#47: Courage the Cowardly Dog
#46: Mushi-Shi
#45: Samurai Jack
#44: Clerks: The Animated Series
#43: Beavis and Butthead
#42: Aqua Teen Hunger Force
#41: Batman Beyond
#40: Reboot
#39: Archer
#38: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
#37: Tiny Toon Adventures   
#36: Scooby Doo, Where Are You!/The New Scooby Doo Movies
#35: Robot Chicken
#34: American Dad!
#33: Beast Wars
#32: Planetes
#31: Superman: the Animated Series
#30: The Flintstones
#29: Paranoia Agent
#28: Danger Mouse
#27: Sealab 2021
#26: Avatar: The Last Airbender
#25: Dexter�s Laboratory
#24: Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
#23: Family Guy
#22: The Real Ghostbusters
#21: Duck Tales
#20: The Tick
#19: Pinky and the Brain
#18: Rocko�s Modern Life
#17: Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
#16: Space Ghost Coast to Coast
#15: Transformers
#14: Home Movies
#13: Freakazoid!
#12: The Critic
#11: Ren & Stimpy
#10: Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
#9: Looney Tunes
#8: Invader Zim
#7: Cowboy Bebop
#6: The Venture Bros.
#5: Animaniacs
#4: South Park
#3: Batman: The Animated Series
#2: The Simpsons
#1: Futurama

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #410 on: August 20, 2011, 01:35:12 AM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 46 – Animated Series

Adventure Time

Adventure Time (also known as Adventure Time with Finn and Jake) is an American emmy-nominated animated television seriescreated by Pendleton Ward and produced by Frederator Studios for Cartoon Network. The series focuses on the surreal adventures undertaken by two best friends, Finn the human boy and Jake the dog with magical powers, who dwell in the Land of Ooo. The series is based on a short produced for Frederator's Nickelodeon animation incubator series Random! Cartoons. After the short became a viral hit on the Internet, Cartoon Network picked it up for a full-length series that had a preview on March 11, 2010 and officially premiered on April 5, 2010. The series has been a critical and commercial success, receiving generally positive reviews. This series is rated TV-PG.

Following the animated short, Frederator Studios pitched an Adventure Time series to Nickelodeon, but the network passed on it twice. The studio then approached Cartoon Network, with creator Pendleton Ward delivering them an early storyboard for "The Enchiridion", showing that the premise could be expanded into a series while maintaining elements from the original short: funny catchphrases and dances, an awkward kiss moment with the princess and an "Abe Lincoln moment". Cartoon Network greenlit the first season in September 2008, and "The Enchiridion" would become the first produced episode.

Series creator Pendleton Ward has stated that the artistic style is influenced by his time at CalArts and later working as a storyboard artist on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. He tries to include "beautiful" moments like those in Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro and some subversive humor, inspired by series like The Simpsons and Pee-wee's Playhouse. Executive producer Fred Seibert compares the show's animation style to that of Felix the Cat and the Max Fleischer cartoons but says its world is also equally inspired by Dungeons and Dragons and video games. Ward intends the show's world to have a certain physical logic instead of "cartoony slapstick" — even though magic exists in the story, the show's writers try to create an internal consistency in how the characters interact with the world.

Many of the series' writers and storyboard artists have a background in indie comics. Pendleton Ward refers to them as "really smart, smartypants people" who are responsible for inserting weirder and more spiritual ideas into the series during its third season.

Ward describes the character Finn as fiery little kid with strong morals, while Jake is based on Bill Murray's character in the movieMeatballs, as a laid-back twenty-something who usually jokes around, but occasionally gives good advice.

Personal thoughts:

I saw the pilot short a while back, but I only saw the series recently.  It’s really amazing, deftly mixing humour and adventure and mixing all the stuff I loved as a kid.  There’s nothing else on TV that feels like this show, not only because it’s weird (and there are plenty of oddball shows on cartoon network) but due to the atmosphere created by the world, where it feels like it’s an anything goes funhouse, but there’s still a consistency that makes the world and the characters fun to revisit.

And it’s just fun.  It’s criminal how much fun is packed into each episode.  It reminds me of a lot of the crazy comedies I grew up with, as well as various comics and video games that made a huge impact on me.  The show is quite popular (I could see it hitting Powerpuff Girl levels of merchandising soon, so watch out parents) and if it gets a video game (which I’m sure it will), I hope they don’t just release another cheap quickie and spend time making a game that reflects the rambunctious energy of the show.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xm59awDARaw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xm59awDARaw</a>
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:38:20 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #411 on: August 20, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »
Aww. I was totally going to write-up Adventure time when it came up. :^)

It really is an incredible show. The writing is all kinds of fun. It's also one of the few cartoons out there that makes me sit up and take notice artistically. I love cartoons a LOT (Which is why I hosted this list originally) but for me it's usually about the comedy and the writing and the slapstick. I'm not really an art guy. But Adventure Time's art style speaks to me. I love the bright colors and the stretchy wobbly feel everything has, and all the little details lovingly sprinkled in the background.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #412 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »
L.O.C. #46 - Top Animated Series

Thoughts
This show was so great. It combined the best comics of its day with the hilarious and adorable antics of Dr. Katz and small circle of family and friends. The idea of comics in a therapy setting enabled the animating of their stand-up bits, which adds a visual element to the jokes that is more-often-than-not laugh-your-ass-off funny. The chemistry between Katz and Benjamin and their ability to improve makes for some of the most genuine and hilarious banter you'll see. I literally wore out VHS tapes of this show back in the day. Absolutely fantastic.

The Wiki
Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist is an American animated series that originally ran on Comedy Central from 1995 to 1999,–with a final set of three shelved episodes airing in 2002–starring Jonathan Katz, Jon Benjamin, and Laura Silverman. The show was computer animated in a crude, easily recognizable style called Squigglevision in which all persons and animate objects are colored and have constantly squiggling outlines, while most other inanimate objects are static and usually gray in color.

The show focused on the title character, Dr. Jonathan Katz, who was voiced by, and visually based on, the comedian of the same name. Dr. Katz was a professional psychotherapist who had famous comedians and actors as patients, usually two per episode. The comedians' therapy sessions generally consisted of them doing their onstage material while Dr. Katz offered insights or simply let them rant. Meanwhile, therapy sessions featuring actors and actresses offered more interpersonal dialogue between Katz and his patient to better suit their predisposition. Dr. Katz is a very laid-back, well-intentioned man who enjoys playing the guitar and spending time at the bar with his friend Stanley and the bartender, Julie.

Interspersed with these scenes were scenes involving Dr. Katz's daily life, which included his aimless, childish 24-year-old son, Ben (Jon Benjamin), his uninterested and unhelpful secretary, Laura (Laura Silverman), and his two friends: Stanley (Will Le Bow), and the barmaid, Julie (Julianne Shapiro). In later episodes, Todd (Todd Barry), the video store clerk, became a regular character.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tM_lrK4upvw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tM_lrK4upvw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMUgQbkydPc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fMUgQbkydPc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWAtl5eIs6c?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mWAtl5eIs6c?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #413 on: August 20, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
Aww. I was totally going to write-up Adventure time when it came up. :^)

It really is an incredible show. The writing is all kinds of fun. It's also one of the few cartoons out there that makes me sit up and take notice artistically. I love cartoons a LOT (Which is why I hosted this list originally) but for me it's usually about the comedy and the writing and the slapstick. I'm not really an art guy. But Adventure Time's art style speaks to me. I love the bright colors and the stretchy wobbly feel everything has, and all the little details lovingly sprinkled in the background.

It also occurs to me that not only is the art impressive, so is the sound.  The show has a love of music and song (I love Finn's auto-tuned songs.  "Remember when I swallowed that little computer?") and the way that it is used is very impressive.  It often uses sounds in the  of style old video games, but it isn't just using that simply to push some nostalgia buttons (though I do like when they are pushed) but also to enhance the atmosphere of the show.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ByLuj7bte30" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ByLuj7bte30</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zWSCnr8QVZk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zWSCnr8QVZk</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGMD0HV6IWo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HGMD0HV6IWo</a>

It can also be surprisingly avant garde sounding.  Check out the full score to the Jiggler episode.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdUTk8sjCTs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MdUTk8sjCTs</a>

It has great opening and ending themes too.  John DiMaggio is fantastic as always and 14 year old Jeremy Shada is damned good for his age as Finn.  The creator mentioned that there are lots of indie comics creators involved with the creation of the show, I'm hoping I could see some big names to guest write episodes, like Ben Edlund (it totally seems to be in his wheelhouse), Jhonan Vasquez or  Michael Kupperman (or Tales Designed to Thrizzle fame).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
Today's subject is fictional weapons!  Check out the original list before you wreck yourself:

#50 Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle
#49: Glitch
#48:DisembAudio
#47: Bone Gun
#46: Shamble
#45: Samuel Colt’s Revolver
#44: Orgasmatron
#43: John Steed’s Hat
#42: Tissue Compression Eliminator
#41: Magic Wand
#40: Power Rings
#39: Double Clawshot
#38: Cancer Gun
#37: The Stopwatch
#36: Hoffman Lenses
#35: Mjolnir
#34:The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
#33: Death’s Scythe
#32: Wolverine’s Claws
#31: Bag of Holding
#30: Mr. Fusion
#29: The Hand of Omega
#28: The Good Samaritan
#27: Irken Pak
#26: Ash’s Chainsaw Hand
#25: Batarangs
#24: The Master Sword
#23: Excalibur
#22: The Infinity Gauntlet
#21: The Death Star Super Laser Cannon
#20: Identity Disc
#19: Death Note
#18: Spider-Man’s Webshooters
#17: Sting
#16: Pokeball
#15: Megatron’s Fusion Cannon
#14: Captain America’s Shield
#13: The Fing-Longer!
#12: Replicators
#11: The Green Lantern
#10: Gravity Gun
#9: Samus Aran’s Arm Cannon
#8: Tricorders
#7: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
#6: The Babel Fish
#5: The Sonic Screwdriver
#4: Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device
#3: Phasers
#2: Proton Packs
#1: Lightsabre
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:15:34 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #415 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:27 AM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 47 – Favourite Fictional Tools and Weapons

Gantz Suit

These come from the manga series Gantz, about people who have just died being resurrected to “play a game” in which they must kill or capture (usually kill) aliens at the behest of a black ball known simply as Gantz.  If a player earns 100 points, they earn freedom.  Of course, Gantz is full of surprises, most of which are unpleasant.  A gantz suit is what the persons playing "Gantz" must wear if they are to survive the m ission. The suit adapts to the user’s body and form.

When in the "Mission Room" a large spherical ball(Gantz) will give the players their mission and open up, revealing three spring out compartments. The one in the back holds a case with each person’s name or nickname on it. Each case holds a suit that is specifically tailored to that person's body no matter how big (or small) the person. Not only that, the suit is only functional for the person it is made for, as wearing another person's suit will not give you the same protection and augmentations to strength and speed that it gives to its owner. The suit is made up of several pieces, with a bottom part similar to an armless wetsuit with the top part fitting over the arms and neck. In addition to these two main parts, there are shoes and gloves that go along with these, all clipping together through buckle-like connections. The suit is difficult to put on as it is skin tight, requiring the wearer to be completely naked to put it on. However, with the suit on the wearer's speed, strength, and defensive capabilities are enhanced to superhuman degrees.

The suit is slim enough to fit underneath normal clothing and done so frequently. Gantz has also shown that it creates suits for all hunters in the game, even those of another species as evidenced by the suits worn by a dog and panda. The suit is essentially a way to exponentially increase your survival rate within the game, as it is nearly impossible to survive without it.

The suit functions much like a suit of armor. The suit protects all parts of the users body, including the uncovered head through some unknown means. Bullets to the head can be survived if the suit is still at 100% functionality. Attacks that are received while the suit is on are extremely lessened, so much so that attacks such as gun shots and punches will affect the suit and wearer very little. However, substantially powerful attacks can still be damaging or may even break or bypass the suit altogether. Also, even conventional weapons such as assault rifles can damage or even potentially break a suit if continually attacked. Upon being broken, the "caps" on the suit, which contain the liquid which power the suit in addition to showing the status of the suit, will rupture and the suit will be as useful as ordinary clothing.

The suit also serves as a weapon which will exponentially increase the wearer's strength, allowing the wearer to take on some foes with just their suit. As the wearer reaches the limit of the suits strength enhancement, the suit will bulk up and look similar to muscles. The suit also aids in speed enhancement, allowing users to run at higher speeds than without the suit. Jumping is also greatly increased with the suit on, with the shock of the landing absorbed by the shoes. If the user gives their suit ample time to recover from attacks their suit can last indefinitely.
The suits weaknesses are primarily high powered lasers and certain types of swords, which which are shown to bypass the suit altogether if sufficiently powerful. In addition to this, some foes have used acid to bypass the suit's protective qualities, burning through the suit and user. Along with these weaknesses the suits "caps" can be targeted specifically to break the suit's abilities where they are located or if the neck "caps" are targeted, break the suit altogether.

Personal thoughts:

It’s basically just a suit that makes you superhumanly strong and fast.  So that’s cool.  I also recommend the manga, though with fair warning that it’s full of boobs, blood and an intentionally unlikable main character (who gradually becomes a less self involved ass over the course of the series and even becomes smart and selfless).  The series is actually coming to an end in Japan (though the last story arc will probably take a couple years to finish).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvhFHb0D7xs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lvhFHb0D7xs</a>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:22:20 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #416 on: August 21, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
Or British/Canadian.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
L.O.C. #47 - Top Fictional Tools and Weapons

Portable Automated Somnacin IntraVenous Device

Thoughts
I think lucid dreaming would be a dream come true. I think shared dreaming would be a dream within a dream come true X1000 with a Marion Cotillard on top. It's fun explaining really trippy dreams to someone, but it always feels one-sided. How awesome would it be to just experience the dream together? And to experience fifty years of shared dreaming with your better half? Sign me up for that…except for the part where your better half plummets to her death.

The Wiki
Technically called the PASIV Device, the briefcase that uses wires and sedatives to connect human beings into a shared dream space is better understood as the dream machine. In Inception, we are briefly told that it was created by the military to enhance the training of soldiers without risking lives.

Here's some really uninteresting video of the device.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xGPqzeccm1E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xGPqzeccm1E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Music Videos)
« Reply #418 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »
Three days left until the end and we're all caught up.  Today's list is music videos.  Here's the original list:

#52 Preacher Man – Fields of the Nephilim
#51: Keep Fishin’ - Weezer
#50: Eat It – “Weird” Al Yonkovic
 #49: I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight – U2
#48: Worlock – Skinny Puppy
#47: Inertia Creeps – Massive Attack
#46: Cloud Bursting – Kate Bush
#45: Goonies R Good Enough – Cyndi Lauper
#44: It’s Oh So Quiet - Bjork
#43: Karma Police – Radio Head
#39: Smells Like Nirvana – “Weird” Al Yankovic
 #41: Bad – Michael Jackson
#40: Rockit – Herbie Hancock
#39: The Perfect Drug – Nine Inch Nails
 #38: Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
#37: Everlong – The Foo Fighters
#36: Freak on a Leash - Korn
#35: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Eurythmics
#34:Knights of Cydonia - Muse
#33: The Kill (Bury Me) – 30 Seconds to Mars
#32: Hurt – Johnny Cash
#31: Polite Dance Song – The Bird and the Bee
#30: Hungy Like the Wolf – Duran Duran
#29: All is Full of Love - Bjork
#28: The Superbowl Shuffle – the 1985 Chigcago Bears
#27: Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
#26: Experimental Film – They Might Be Giants
#25: Trapped in the Closet – R Kelly
#24: Once in a Lifetime – Talking Heads
#23: Closer – Nine Inch Nails
#22: Whip It - Devo
#21: Sweep the Leg – No More Kings
#20: Sober - Tool
#19: Beautiful World - Devo
#18: Tonight, Tonight – The Smashing Pumpkins
#17: This Too Shall Pass – OK Go
#16: Addicted to Love – Robert Palmer
#15: Rabbit in Your Headlight - UNKLE
#14: Smooth Criminal – Michael Jackson
#13: Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai!
#12: Come to Daddy – Aphex Twin
#11: Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
#10: Human Behaviour - Bjork
#9: Money for Nothing – Dire Straits
#8: Buddy Holly - Weezer
#7: Land of Confusion - Genesis
#6: Here It Goes Again – OK Go
#5: Weapon of Choice – Fatboy Slim
#4: Sabotage – Beastie Boys
#3: Sledgehammer – Beastie Boys
#2: Take On Me – A-Ha
#1: Michael Jackson’s Thriller – Michael Jackson

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Music Videos)
« Reply #419 on: August 22, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
They Might be Giants - I'm Impressed

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3CccPPDe2JU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3CccPPDe2JU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Pak's Thoughts: Stop Motion Robot Gladiators. I can't think of 3 tastes that would taste any better together than that. :^)