Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47374 times)

Russell

Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Film Scores)
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
Conan the Barbarian has one of the best musical scores of all time! And if you
do not listen, then to hell with you! :D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
Yeah I can see that, I know I watched it a bunch of times when I was little but don't think I ever need to see it again (plus the poem's much better)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
Nightmare Before Christmas
Yes, I am talking about the score itself, not the songs. Although the score is an extension of the songs, it is still excellent.

If I remember right, we didn't actually distinguish between songs with lyrics and scores as long as it was original, but you're right, either way it's great.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Video Game Characters)
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
Put on your game faces for your favourite (video) game characters. Here's the original list:

#50: Ratchet and Clank
#49: Razputin
#48: Niko Bellic
#47: Lord Fawful
#46: Eddie Riggs
#45: Big Daddy
#44: Yoshi
#43: Larry Laffer
#42: Duke Nukem
#41: Chun-Li
#40: Prince of Persia
#39: HK-47
#38: Lazlow
#37: Little Mac
#36: Midna
#35: Pyramid Head
#34: Falco Lombardi
#33: Princess Zelda
#32: Sackboy
#31: Alyx Vance
#30: Kane
#29: Dirk the Daring
#28: Leon Kennedy
#27: Simon Belmont
#26: Princess Peach Toadstool
#25: Solid Snake
#24: Toad
#23: Q* Bert
#22: Andrew Ryan
#21: Wario
#20: Cloud Strife
#19: John Marston
#18: Pheonix Wright
#17: Nathan Drake
#16: Sam & Max
#15: Fox McCloud
#14: Donkey Kong
#13: Earthworm Jim
#12: Sonic the Hedgehog
#11: Kirby
#10: Bowser
#9: Gordon Freeman
#8: Luigi
#7: Guybrush Threepwood
#6: Mega Man
#5: Samus Aran
#4: Pac-Man
#3: GLaDOS
#2: Link
#1: Mario

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 39 – Favourite Video Game Characters

The Ouenden

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (押忍!闘え!応援団 Osu! Tatakae! Ōendan?, lit. "Hey! Fight! Cheer Squad"), sometimes referred to as simply Ouendan, is a rhythm video game developed by iNiS and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld game console in 2005, for release only in Japan. Ouendan stars a cheer squad rhythmically cheering for various troubled people.

Ouendan details the plight of several characters in hopeless situations who cry out for help. In response, the Ouendan, an all-male cheer squad appear to help each character work through their problems by cheering them through music. The origin of the Ouendan is unexplained in the game, though they are always nearby when help is needed. The Ouendan appear wearing highly stylized black uniforms (based on gaku-ran Japanese school uniforms) with red armbands, a common sight at Japanese school sporting events.

Most of the scenarios are inspired by modern Japanese culture, or are heavily influenced by the Japanese form of print comics, or manga. For instance, the first stage features a high school student distracted from studying for his college entrance exams by his family, while a later stage focuses on a pottery master who has lost the inspiration to create unique works. Most of the stories are presented in a light-hearted or comical fashion, emphasized by absurd storyline twists and the sounds of whistles and cheer shouts as the player progresses through each stage. The one notable exception to this is a love story set to the song "Over the Distance," which is told in a more heartfelt, subdued tone further marked by the gameplay's whistle sound effect being replaced with subtle chimes.

While the individual stories otherwise have no connecting theme to them, characters from some stories reappear in others as background figures or supporting characters. However, all of the characters reappear in the final story, in which the Ouendan must lead the entire world in a cheer to save Earth from being destroyed by an asteroid.

Personal thoughts:

The most macho men in the world cheering you on?  Then you can do anything.  Osu! Takatae! Ouendan! is a very fun rhythm game where you basically cheer people on to help them complete impossible tasks.  Help a toy monkey make it home.  Invade a boys dream so he won’t wet the bed at night!  Re-Ignite the sun!  Tremendously fun game and I love the idea of heroes who will give their all to support and encourage you.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-_Z85RIYYRA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-_Z85RIYYRA</a>
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:18:08 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
L.O.C. #39 - Top Video Game Characters

The Long–Ass Piece from TETRIS

Thoughts
"C'mon…c'mon…YES!"

The Wiki
THE COCK PIECE
As is quite apparent for anyone who has seen a game of Tetris being played, or even participated in a competition themselves, Tetris obviously contains sexual undertones. The most prominent is the coveted phallic block, known officially as the "I-Piece." This block plays a crucial role, in that it is the main requirement for the act of a Tetris, or four simultaneous lines. The Cock Piece is the main source of most players' misery -- and joy.

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 39 – Favourite Video Game Characters

The Ouenden

YEAH! I got Elite Beat Agents for ten bucks and loved it so much I just had to import the second Ouendan. It's my favorite DS game alongside Rhythm Heaven. I'm so disappointed there haven't been any more games in the series.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Comic Books)
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2011, 02:36:21 AM »
All new!  All Different!  Today's topic is comic books.  Here's the original list:

#50: 20th Century Boys
#49: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
#48: Planetary
#47: Chick Tracts
#46: the Astonishing X-Men
#45: Owly
#44: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight
#43: Archie
#42: Man-Eating Cow
#41: Sam & Max
#40: Captain America
#39: Death Note
#38: Detective Comics
#37: Swamp Thing
#36: Grendel
#35: All-Star Superman
#34: Elfquest
#33: From Hell
#32: Hellblazer
#31: One Piece
#30: Justice League of America
#29: Daredevil
#28: Wolverine
#27: The Dark Knight Returns
#26: Astro City
#25: Batman
#24: Fables
#23: 100 Bullets
#22: Savage Dragon
#21: Superman
#20: Batman: the Killing Joke
#19: The Mighty Thor
#18: Love & Rockets
#17: The Incredible Hulk
#16: Top 10
#15: Fantastic Four
#14: V for Vendetta
#13 Batman: Year One
#12 Scott Pilgrim
#11 the Avengers
#10: Preacher
#9: the Tick
#8: the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
#7: the Walking Dead
#6: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
#5: Bone
#4: the Uncanny X-Men
#3: the Amazing Spider-Man
#2: the Sandman
#1: Watchmen

Post your own favourite comics.  I hope you survive the experience.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:48 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 40 – Favourite Comic Books

EC Ghoulunatics Books:
Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt
Haunt of Fear
Vault of Horror

Tales from the Crypt, The Haunt of Fear and The Vault of Horror are three bi-monthly horror comic anthology series published by EC Comics in the early 1950s. Tales from the Crypt hit newsstands with its October/November 1950 issue (#20) and ceased publication with its February/March 1955 issue (#46), producing a total of 27 issues (excluding the initial three issues, #17-19, published under the title The Crypt of Terror). The title was popular, but in the late 1940s and early 1950s comic books came under attack from parents, clergymen, schoolteachers and others who believed the books contributed to illiteracy and juvenile delinquency. In April and June 1954, highly publicized Congressional subcommittee hearings on the effects of comic books upon children left the industry shaken. With the subsequent imposition of a highly restrictive Comics Code, EC Comics publisher Bill Gaines canceled Tales from the Crypt and its two companion horror titles, along with the company's remaining crime and science fiction series in September 1954. All EC titles have been reprinted at various times since their demise, and stories from the horror series have been adapted for television and film.

Horror comics emerged as a distinct comic book genre after World War II when young adult males lost interest in caped crimebusters, and returning GIs wanted titillating sex and violence in their reading. One-shot Eerie Comics (1947) is generally considered the first true horror comic with its cover depicting a dagger-wielding, red eyed ghoul threatening a rope-bound, scantily clad, voluptuous young woman beneath a full moon. In 1948, Adventures Into the Unknown became the first regularly published horror title, enjoying a nearly two decade life-span.

In 1950, publisher Gaines and his editor Al Feldstein discovered they shared similar tastes in horror and began experimenting with horror tales in their crime titles. Tales from the Crypt traces its origin to a Feldstein story, "Return from the Grave!", in EC's Crime Patrol (#15, December 1949/January 1950) with the Crypt-Keeper making his debut as host. Issue #16 featured more horror tales than crime stories, and, with issue #17, the title changed from Crime Patrol to The Crypt of Terror. Due to an attempt to save money on second-class postage permits, the numbering did not change with the title and continued as The Crypt of Terror for the next two issues. The title saw its final form, Tales from the Crypt, with issue #20, October/November, 1950.

Early front covers were created by Feldstein, Johnny Craig and Wally Wood, with the remaining covers (1952–55) by Jack Davis. The contributing interior artists were Craig, Feldstein, Wood, Davis, George Evans, Jack Kamen, Graham Ingels, Harvey Kurtzman, Al Williamson, Joe Orlando, Reed Crandall, Bernard Krigstein, Will Elder, Fred Peters and Howard Larsen. Jack Davis took over the art for the Crypt-Keeper stories with (#24, June/July, 1951), and continued as the title's lead artist for the rest of the run. Feldstein devised the Crypt-Keeper's origin story "Lower Berth!" (#33) which was illustrated by Davis. Issue #38 was one of two covers from EC's horror comics censored prior to publication. While The Vault of Horror cover for issue #32 was restored in Russ Cochran's EC Library reprints, the Tales from the Crypt cover remained censored. "Kamen's Kalamity" (#31) starred many members of the EC staff, including Gaines, Feldstein and the story's artist, Kamen. Ingels, Davis and Craig also made cameo appearances in the story in single panels which they drew themselves.

Personal thoughts:

Keep in mind that this is from the Tales from the Crypt page, but really all three series are essentially the same series with a different title.  Even the hosts of each title frequently appear in the books of the other hosts (AKA the GhouLunatics) and mock and jibe each other in their letters pages.

Yes, the series often ripped off classic stories*.  Yes, most of the stories are formulaic and the dialogue is quite silly (although mercifully briefer than some of the more verbose comics of the time).  But the art is fantastic (and artists were given proper credit), they made a connection with their fans in a way that would be reflected by Marvel a decade later, many of them touched on social issues in a way that was pretty daring for the time and the stories were tremendously fun.

I used to abhor horror, but the kind of poetic justice stories that where popularized in EC Comics (yes, I know they were just ripping off similar classic stories, but I maintain they help make the formula popular) eased me into horror with the idea that the bad guys would get what they deserve, almost making the supernatural monsters unintentional “heroes”.  Of course, now I like more ambiguous horror stories, but I still like a good tale of extreme karma.

*(In fact, there’s a sweet story behind when EC Comics stole from Ray Bradbury. Ray acted the bigger man when he had every right to be upset and gave them the chance to credit him and give him his due from his stories.  After that, Ray even let EC Comics adapt his stories with his name splashed across covers as a selling point.)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »
L.O.C. #40 - Top Comic Books

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Thoughts
Because this geekfest of a list needs more hippies and hard drugs.  ;D

The Wiki
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are a trio of underground comic strip characters created by the U.S. artist Gilbert Shelton. The work enjoys a sizable cult following, and the magazines are widely available in comic stores.

While most underground comix are humorous, the Freak Brothers live a slapstick existence reminiscent of the best silent comedies. Their entire lives rotate around the procurement and enjoyment of recreational drugs, particularly marijuana. None of them have the slightest concern about gainful employment, and the only use for money is to procure some food and lots of drugs without getting "burned" by unscrupulous dealers or busted by the police. Other storylines include "Fat Freddy's Cat" and a military empire of cockroaches in the kitchen. The stories often satirize the establishment and right-wing politics. For a counterculture production, the standard of artwork is exceptionally high; Shelton's striving for accuracy and attention to detail have earned him comparisons with Hergé.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:57:27 AM by D.B. Barnes »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Halloween Music/Songs)
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2011, 05:20:18 AM »
Next, Halloween songs.  Here's the original list:

#56: Black No. 1 � Type O Negative
#56: Dr. Stein - Helloween
#56: The Graceful Ghost Rag
#56: Halloweenhead � Ryan Adams
#56: I Hold Your Hand in Mine � Tom Lehrer
#56: A Nightmare on Elm Street Main Theme � Charles Bernstein
#56: The Rake�s Song � The Decemberists
#56: The Stand � the Alarm
#56: Thus Spake the Nightspirit - Emperor
#47: Do They Know It's Hallowe'en? - North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative
#47: Dope Hat � Marylin Manson
#47: Halloween - Helloween
#47: Little Demon � Screamin� Jay Dawkins
#47: Grim Grinning Ghosts - Buddy Baker, Xavier "X" Atencio, Thurl Ravenscroft
#47: Witch - Goblin
#41: Ave Satani � Jerry Goldsmith
#40: Hell � Squirrel Nut Zippers
#39: The Devil Went Down to Georgia � The Charles Daniels Band
#38: Black Magic Woman - Santana
#37: Bark at the Moon � Ozzy Osbourne
#36: Beetlejuice Main Theme � Danny Elfman
#35: Everyday (is Halloween) - Ministry
#34: Theme of Simon Belmont � Masanori Adachi
#33: Dead Man�s Party � Oingo Boingo
#32: The Great Pumpkin Waltz � Vince Guaraldi
#31: Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) � David Bowie
#30: Season of the Witch - Donovan
#29: The Edison Museum
#28: Tubular Bells � Mike Oldfield
#27: Suspiria Theme - Goblin
#26: Theme from the Twilight Zone � Marius Constant
#25: Beware of the Blob � The Five Blobs
#24: The Man Comes Around � Johnny Cash
#23: Red Right Hand � Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
#22: Psycho Killer � The Talking Heads
#21: Turn Around � They Might Be Giants
#20: Brains - Voltaire
#19: Sympathy for the Devil � The Rolling Stones
#18: Living Dead Girl � Rob Zombie
#17: Superstition � Stevie Wonder
#16: Nightmare on my Street � DJ Jazyy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
#15: Bela Legosi�s Dead - Bauhaus
#14: RE: Your Brains � Jonothan Coultan
#13 Psycho Main Theme � Bernard Herrmann
#12 I Put a Spell on You � Screamin� Jay Hawkins
#11 Danse Macabre - Camille Saint-Sa�ns
#10: Night on Bald Mountain � Modest Mussorgsky
#9: Nature Trail to Hell � Weird Al Yankovic
#8: Halloween Theme � John Carpenter
#7: (Don�t Fear) the Reaper � Blue �yster Cult
#6: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach
#5: This is Halloween - Danny Elfman
#4: The Monster Mash - Bobby �Boris� Pickett
#3: Thriller - Michael Jackson
#2: Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
#1: Ghostbusters -Ray Parker Jr

Boo!   Now what are your picks?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »
You know, Halloween, it's not all blood and gore or even standard frights, there's a mystical, pagan, dammit Ok , hippie, side to it too.

L.O.C. #41 - Top  Halloween Songs

Tam Lin - Fairport Convention

Thoughts
OK I love Tam Lin, it's one of the greatest ballads in the English Language and is nicely evoked in Lords and Ladies which is one of my favourite Discworld books (loves me some witches). Fairport Convention does the best full instrumentation version of it, Sandy had such a great voice.

The Wiki
Most variants begin with the warning that Tam Lin collects either a possession or the virginity of any maidens who pass through the forest of Carterhaugh. A young maiden, usually called Janet or Margaret, comes to Carterhaugh and plucks a double rose, whereupon Tam appears and asked why she is in Carterhaugh without his command and has taken what is his. She states that she owns Carterhaugh, because her father has given it to her.

In most variants, she then goes home and discovers that she is pregnant; some variants pick up the story at this point. When an old knight taxes her with it, she announces that she will not declare him her baby's father, that her lover is an elf and that she loves him. She returns to Carterhaugh. In some variants, her brother has told her that a herb growing there will induce an abortion. In all, she picks something, whether the herb or the same roses as when they first met. Tam reappears, enraged, and forbids her to abort.
She asks him whether he was ever human, either after that reappearance, or in some variants, immediately after their first meeting resulted in her seduction. He reveals that he was a mortal man, who, after falling from his horse, was rescued and captured by the Queen of the Fairies. Every seven years, the fairies pay a teind, a tithe to Hell, of one of their people, and Tam fears he will become that tithe on that night (Hallowe'en). He is to ride as part of a company of knights, and Janet will recognise him by the white horse upon which he is riding. He warns her that, when she catches him, the fairies will attempt to make her drop him by turning him into all manner of beasts (see Proteus), but that he will do her no harm, and when he is finally turned into a burning coal she is to throw him into a well, whereupon he will reappear as a naked man and she should hide him. Janet does as she is asked, and wins her knight. The Queen of the Fairies is not best pleased, but acknowledges her claim.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jy3ihk205ew" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jy3ihk205ew</a>
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:07:30 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »
L.O.C. #41 - Top Halloween Songs

Thoughts
I'm not a big fan of The Ramones but I like this song quite a bit. It's much darker and melodic than most of their other stuff. It's a catchy, cool tune…about zombie pets.

The Wiki
The Ramones recorded the title song for the film which can be found on their album Brain Drain. Although the song is heard only during the closing credits, their song "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" is played when Gage is killed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6GzVCYqoyY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L6GzVCYqoyY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 41 – Favourite Halloween Songs/Music

In the Hall of the Mountain King – Edward Grieg

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrIYT-MrVaI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xrIYT-MrVaI</a>

In the Hall of the Mountain King (Norwegian: I Dovregubbens hall) is a piece of orchestral music composed by Edvard Grieg for the sixth scene of Act II in Henrik Ibsen's play Peer Gynt, which premiered in Christiania on February 24, 1876.

It was originally part of Opus 23, but was later extracted as the final piece of Peer Gynt, Suite No. 1, Op. 46. Although a performance of the full piece runs to slightly less than 3 minutes, its easily recognizable theme has helped it attain iconic status in popular culture, where it has been arranged by many artists.

The piece is played as the eponymous Peer Gynt, in a dream-like fantasy, enters "the royal hall of the Old Man of the Dovrë (the Mountain King)." The scene's introduction continues: "There is a great crowd of troll courtiers, gnomes and goblins. The Old Man sits on his throne, with crown and sceptre, surrounded by his children and relatives. Peer Gynt stands before him. There is a tremendous uproar in the hall." The lines sung are the first lines in the scene.

Grieg himself wrote: "For the Hall of the Mountain King I have written something that so reeks of cowpats, ultra-Norwegianism, and 'to-thyself-be-enough-ness' that I can't bear to hear it, though I hope that the irony will make itself felt."

Personal thoughts:

Perhaps it’s because it’s been used in so many movie trailers, but this is an awesome tune that builds the tension higher and higher, starting off mischievous and ending apocalyptic.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »
The words are nice and halloween appropriate too:

Slay him! The Christian's son has bewitched
The Mountain King's fairest daughter!
Slay him!
Slay him!
May I hack him on the fingers?
May I tug him by the hair?
Hu, hey, let me bite him in the haunches!
Shall he be boiled into broth and bree to me
Shall he roast on a spit or be browned in a stewpan?
Ice to your blood, friends!