Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47281 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Toy Lines)
« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
Heck, I can toss in a favorite toyline of mine:

Mighty Muggs

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:

Mighty Muggs are a vinyl–plastic collectible toy series made by Hasbro. The toys resemble super deformed versions of characters from the following franchises: Star Wars, Marvel Comics, Indiana Jones, G.I. Joe, and Transformers. There is a line of smaller figures, called Mini Muggs, as well as blank Mighty Muggs for customization. A full length film is in development with Easy Films. The line has been commercially discontinued, but certain retailers receive exclusive 'continuation' lines, and Comic-Con International 2011 has an exclusive Avengers line.

Pak's Thoughts -  We have so many of these scattered throughout my house. They just look too cool. And the neat thing is the accessories are interchangable. Indiana Jones' hat and whip have gradually migrated throughout key characters in the Marvel and Transformers universes. The Hulk can rock a fedora! :^)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Rifftrax Wishlist 3)
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »
Yet another Rifftrax wishlist.  Here's the original list:

#50: Transformers: The Movie
#49: The Spirit
#48: Dungeons & Dragons
#47: Pearl Harbour
#46: Doom
#45: Armageddon
#44: The Never-Ending Story
#43: Resident Evil
#42: In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
#41: Knowing
#40: Alone in the Dark
#39: War of the Worlds
#38: Hackers
#37: Face/off
#36: Batman
#35: Aliens
#34: Waterworld
#33: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
#32: Catwoman
#31: AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
#30: I Robot
#29: The Giant Claw
#28: The Wizard
#27: National Treasure
#26: Gymkata
#25: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
#24: Commando
#23: X-Men III: the Last Stand
#22: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
#21: Jumper
#20: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
#19: Showgirls
#18: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
#17: House of the Dead
#16: Citizen Kane
#15: The Island
#14: Air Force One
#13: The Incredible Hulk
#12: Star Wars: The Clone Wars
#11: Street Fighter
#10: Planet of the Apes
#9: Congo
#8: Super Mario Bros.
#7: Billy Jack
#6: High School Musical
#5: G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra
#4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
#3: Hulk
#2: Dune
#1: Godzilla

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 31 – Riff Wishlist 3

Night Fright

Night Fright is a 1967 American film directed by James A. Sullivan.
The film is also known as E.T.N.: The Extraterrestrial Nastie, E.T.N.: The Extraterrestrial Nasty, The Extraterrestrial Nastie or The Extraterrestrial Nasty in the United Kingdom.
A Texas community is beset with a rash of mysterious killings involving some of the students from the local college. The sheriff investigating the deaths discovers the startling identity of the killer responsible for the murders. a NASA experiment involving cosmic rays has mutated an ape and turned it into an unstoppable killing machine with a thirst for blood.

Personal thoughts:
I admit it, this was mostly an excuse to show my free fan riff of this public domain movie, but this one really has it coming.  Plus an editor from Manos directed it.  So there’s that.

Another VOD I’d like to see: Invasion of the Bee Girls.  This one might be… R rated (the movie’s PG, but it’s the kind of PG were there’s some boobs).

<a href="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18356668?title=0&amp;amp;byline=0&amp;amp;portrait=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://player.vimeo.com/video/18356668?title=0&amp;amp;byline=0&amp;amp;portrait=0</a>

EDIT: If anyone could tell me ow to embed a Vimeo video I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:15:59 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
L.O.C. #31 - Top Movies You Want to See Riffed

Thoughts
This movie is ridiculous on a boatload of levels. In terms of riffing potential, this is what you would call extremely target-rich. Between the lame plot, cheesy one-liners,  and over-the-top characters/performances, this pile provides an all-you-can-eat buffet of riff fodder.

The Wiki
Con Air is an Academy Award Nominated 1997 American action-thriller film directed by Simon West and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. It stars Nicolas Cage, John Cusack and John Malkovich. The film borrows its title from the nickname of the Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System.

The film featured the 1997 hit single "How Do I Live", originally performed by LeAnn Rimes and performed for the film by Trisha Yearwood. The film was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Song and Best Sound, losing to Titanic in both categories. It was also declared by the Golden Raspberry Awards as having the "Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property" of any film in 1997.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fWq-S1_1vnc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fWq-S1_1vnc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

LET THE CHEESE FLOW
[/b]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AW3aCuxY1DY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AW3aCuxY1DY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
By all rights, if this movie is eventually riffed, RVRII MUST be guest riffer.

anais.jude

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »
By all rights, if this movie is eventually riffed, RVRII MUST be guest riffer.

I would buy sooooo many copies of this riff if RVR was the guest riffer

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Maybe that's the way to do a LOC of forum members, the top fifty you'd like to hear guest riff. :)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Guilty Pleasure Movies)
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
Today's Subject is Guilty Pleasure Movies.  Here's the original list:

#56: Xanadu
#55: With Honors
#54: Twilight
#53: The Crush
#52: The Core
#51: The Conqueror
#50: Some Kind of Wonderful
#49: Newsies
#48: Johnny Dangerously
#46: Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf
#45: Harry and the Hendersons
#44: Dragon Wars: D-War
#43: Daleks Invasion Earth: 2150 AD
#42: Conan the Barbarian
#37: The Happening
#36: Moonraker
#35: Star Trek Generations
#34: Once Bitten
#33: Josie and the Pussycats
#32: Billy Jack
#31: UHF
#30: Airplane
#29: The Craft
#28: Starship Troopers
#27: The Lost Boys
#26: The Producers (2005)
#25: Major League
#24: Commando
#23: Gremlins 2: the New Batch
#22: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
#21: Titanic
#20: Troll 2
#19: Con Air
#18: Godzilla Vs. Megalon
#17: The Goonies
#16: Jason X
#15: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
#14: Fantastic Four 1994)
#13: Mannequin
#12: Zoolander
#11: Plan 9 from Outer Space
#10: Bring it On
#9: Star Wars: Episode I: the Phantom Menace
#8: Ace Ventura, Pet Detective
#7: Hudson Hawk
#6: Grease 2
#5: Roadhouse
#4: Showgirls
#3: Labyrinth
#2: Baseketball
#1: The Room

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2011, 01:36:04 AM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 32 – Guilty Pleasure Movies

Barbarella

After an in-flight anti-gravity striptease (masked by the film's opening titles), Barbarella, a 41st century astronaut, lands on the planet Lythion and sets out to find the evil Durand Durand in the city of Sogo, where a new sin is invented every hour. There, she encounters such objects as the Exessive Machine, a genuine sex organ on which an accomplished artist of the keyboard, in this case, Durand Durand himself, can drive a victim to death by pleasure, a lesbian queen who, in her dream chamber, can make her fantasies take form, and a group of ladies smoking a giant hookah which, via a poor victim struggling in its glass globe, dispenses Essance of Man. You can't help but be impressed by the special effects crew and the various ways that were found to tear off what few clothes our heroine seemed to possess. Based on the popular French comic strip.

Personal thoughts:

Not quite sure why I have such a soft spot for this movie, aside from the crazy ass world that it creates.  Jane Fonda’s take on Barbarella is appealing too, as a sort of strong willed naïf in the Dorothy in Oz vein.  But it certainly is silly and I’m sure for every virtue I see in the film there are more faults.  Still, that’s what makes a guilty pleasure.  I kind of want to read the original Barbarella comics too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uwNEnh9uaM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1uwNEnh9uaM</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
L.O.C. #32 - Top Guilty Pleasure Movies

Thoughts
This is truly a guilty pleasure. I've from more than one person how they passionately hate this movie, but I just find it enjoyable. First off, I'd watch Amanda Seyfried in anything, yes, even Red Riding Hood. Second. I think the first half of this movie is has a great edge to it and is incredibly entertaining. It's just a sexy, fun comedy horror movie. Unfortunately the film falls flat on its face and drags itself to the ending. Still, I enjoy it enough to have watched it twice. This movie also includes a very cool end credit sequence.

The Wiki
Jennifer's Body is a 2009 black comedy horror film written by Diablo Cody and directed by Karyn Kusama. The film stars Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons, and Adam Brody. Fox portrays a newly-possessed teenage serial killer specializing in killing her male classmates as her best friend strives to stop her. The title is a reference to the song of the same name by Hole on their album Live Through This. As a tie-in to the film, Boom! Studios produced a Jennifer's Body graphic novel.

Working with Cody again following their collaborative efforts on the film Juno, Jason Reitman stated he and his producers "want to make unusual films". Cody said she wanted the film to speak to female empowerment and explore the complex relationships between best friends.

The film had a disappointing performance at the North American box office, making $2.8 million its opening day and $6.8 million its opening weekend, and received mixed reviews from critics; where negative reviews classified the film as lacking the intensity needed for "true horror" and desperate to be a cult classic, positive reviews praised the film for its "occasionally clever" and often witty dialogue combined with "fun performances" and emotional resonance.

Oh, and it's got this in it, so yeah.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B_cTkSAj1kE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/B_cTkSAj1kE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:35:14 PM by D.B. Barnes »

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #325 on: August 06, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
It's the great all-nighter!

L.O.C Rest of the Best - Day 32 -  Top Guilty Pleasure Movies

MIDNIGHT MADNESS

The wiki:
Midnight Madness is a 1980 comedy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and starring David Naughton, Stephen Furst and Maggie Roswell. The film is about a group of college students who participate in an all night puzzle solving race. It is Michael J. Fox's film debut.

Leon (Alan Solomon), a genius, summons five college students to his apartment and challenges them to participate in his latest game creation: The Great All-Nighter. He tells them about his game and instructs them to form teams. At first, the leaders refuse to play. However, rivalries between them lead all five to change their minds by the game's start time. The game works like this: Teams are given an initial clue to solve. When the clue is solved, it will lead to a location. At that location they must find and solve another clue leading to another location and eventually the end. Leon, as "game master," keeps track of the teams locations with a giant map, and various radio equipment. The teams are supposed to call and check in at each clue (though many of the teams end up skipping at least one location).

Teams are made up of characters who are broad stereotypes. They wear matching sweatshirts, and ride in vehicles that also match their team color.
The members of the Yellow Team are all friendly, and kind; they play fair and are the main heroes of the film. The yellow team are led by the protagonist Adam (Naughton). The Yellow team picks up an additional member, Adam's troubled younger brother Scott, partway through the game, who acts out to get Adam's attention. They also force the shy Flynch (Joel Kenney), whom Adam has been counseling, to play the game rather than allow him to go on a date with an ugly girl. Also on the team are Laura (Debra Clinger), Adam's love interest, and Marvin (David Damas), another friend of Adam's. The team vehicle, owned by Marvin, is often referred to as a Jeep[citation needed]; it is actually a Toyota Land Cruiser.

The members of the Blue Team are all selfish, rude, and unattractive individuals who cheat at every opportunity. They are led by overweight snob Harold (Stephen Furst), who is intensely jealous of the popular Adam. Melio (played by future Hollywood director Andy Tennant) purposely instigates fights between Harold and his girlfriend, Lucille, who puts Harold on a diet just before the game starts. "Blade," a Mexican-American who is constantly brandishing his switchblade knife, never speaks. An additional member, Barf (Brian Frishman), is apparently mentally challenged. The team vehicle is a van equipped with a computer that can solve clues, however this device is destroyed early on when Harold hides a stash of marshmallows in the circuitry.

The Green Team, also known as the "Meat Machine," is made up of jocks from the school's football team. They are led by Lavitas (Brad Wilkin); Dirk Blocker is also on the team. Their antagonism leads both the Red and White teams into playing. The team vehicle is a Volkswagen Beetle named the "Meat Wagon."

The White Team is made up of debate team nerds, led by Wesley (played by Eddie Deezen). The White Team rides matching Puch mopeds which they eventually share with the Red team after their vehicle is destroyed.

The Red Team is made up of four members of an unpopular sorority led by Donna, played by Maggie Roswell. Two of the members are a set of frequently giggling, overweight twins (many of the jokes involving the red team come at their expense) and the other two are feminists. The Red team's vehicle is a pickup truck which is eventually destroyed by the Green team.

Personal thoughts:
I've seen this movie dozens of time--I watched it over and over on HBO as a kid, and still have a serious soft spot for it. Getting Eddie Deezen (the white team leader, and Eugene from Grease) on my podcast was a serious highlight for me. I even did an all-vocal cover of the theme song, since I'm an idiot (if you really want to hear it, it is here: http://www.colestratton.com/?page_id=33) (also covers of songs from The Lost Boys, Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas).

The infamous FAGABEEFE scene: http://youtu.be/aTUQXSH9YyE
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 32 – Guilty Pleasure Movies

Barbarella

For those of you who either don't  know or remember, I hosted this list and made one of the more egregious L.O.C. gaffes by somehow managing to overlook Johnny Unusual's #1 pick which just happened to be Barbarella. Had I not made this mistake, Barbarella would have indeed made the list. This is a mistake that has brought shame on myself and my family.

I'd like to express my appreciation to Johnny for not taking this rare opportunity to heap well-deserved scorn on my spreadsheet inadequacies.

;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite 80's Songs)
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2011, 02:10:22 AM »
Today is songs of the 80’s.  Don’t worry that the one you pick might not be a hit single, I think just 80’s songs will be good enough here.  Here’s the original list:

#51: Let�s Dance
#50: Abacab
#49: Eat It
#48: Whip It
#47: The Way It Is
#46: Karma Chameleon
#45: One Night in Bangkok
#44: Rock the Casbah
#43: Sweet Child o� Mine
#42: Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
#41: Don�t You (Forget About Me)
#40: Africa
#39: 867-5309/Jenny
#38: Jessie�s Girl
#37: Groovy Kind of Love
#36: Mexican Radio
#35: Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
#34: Eye of the Tiger
#33: The Boys of Summer
#32: Thriller
#31: I Love Rock and Roll
#30: Rock Me Amadeus
#29: Invisible Touch
#28: Never Gonna Give You Up
#27: Photograph
#26: The Power of Love
#25: Rio
#24: In a Big Country
#23: Safety Dance
#22: With or Without You
#21: Walk Like an Egyptian
#20: She Blinded Me With Science
#19: Tainted Love
#18: You Give Love a Bad Name
#17: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
#16: Livin� On a Prayer
#15: Sledgehammer
#14: Time After Time
#13: Major Tom (Coming Home)
#12: 99 Luftballoons
#11: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
#10: In Your Eyes
#9: The Final Countdown
#8: Call Me
#7: Ghostbusters
#6: Don�t Stop Believin’
#5: Land of Confusion
#4: Come On, Eileen
#3: Every Breath You Take
#2: Mr. Roboto
#1: Take on Me

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 33 – Favourite 80’s Songs

Cactus – the Pixies

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ex272jpUOSg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ex272jpUOSg</a>

"Cactus" is a song by the American alternative rock band Pixies, and is the eighth track on their 1988 album Surfer Rosa. It was written and sung by the band's frontman Black Francis and produced by Steve Albini.  The song is about a man in prison writing to a woman, asking for her dress, which he would like her to stain with bodily fluids (blood and sweat) and food, as a reminder that she’s still alive.

Personal thoughts:

There’s something very primal about this song, and I’ve always been attracted to songs that are a bit creepy.  And though it is creepy, there’s also a sense that this isn’t just a perv looking for a girl’s smelly clothes.  He wants the essence of his woman on these clothes as a way to keep him going through his incarceration.  Yeah, it’s sinister sounding, but it’s also moving and animalistic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:18:43 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Hm. Disappointing list. There's no way I can rectify it with just one song (adding the Pixies was a good start though). I guess I'll go with...

Laurie Anderson — Sharkey's Day

According to Wikipedia, "The single "Sharkey's Day" was for many years the theme song of Lifetime Television." Who knew?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlTj_yty4JI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GlTj_yty4JI</a>

If it had to be a chart topper, (and if UK charts were applicable), I would go with O Superman.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-VIqA3i2zQw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-VIqA3i2zQw</a>