Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47387 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Stand-Up Comics)
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »
Today's topic: Stand Up Comedians.  Here are the previous winners here:

#51 & 50: The Mighty Boosh and the Doug Anthony All-Stars
#49: Joel McHale
#48: Brian Regan
#47: Ross Noble
#46: Larry Miller
#46: Andrew �Dice� Clay   
#45: Redd Foxx
#44: Bob Saget
#43: Dana Carvey
#42: Garry Shandling
#42: Dave Attell
#40: Gilbert Gottfried
#39: Dennis Miller
#38: Dane Cook
#37: Bill Maher
#36: David Letterman
#35: Henry Rollins
#34: Tenacious D
#33: Ricky Gervais
#32: Norm McDonald
#31: Bill Bailey
#30: Janeane Garofalo
#29: Andy Kaufman
#28: Rowan Atkinson
#27: Penn & Teller
#26: Demetri Martin
#25: Lenny Bruce
#24: Robin Williams
#23: Sarah Silverman
#22: Jim Gaffigan
#21: Sam Kinison
#20: Louis CK
#19: Bob Newhart
#18: Chris Rock
#17: Jon Stewart
#16: Rodney Dangerfield
#15: Bill Cosby
#14: Billy Connolly
#13: Lewis Black
#12: Steven Wright
#11: Dave Chappelle
#10: Denis Leary
#9: Eddie Murphy
#8: David Cross
#7: Steve Martin
#6: Richard Pryor
#5: Mitch Hedberg
#4: Jerry Seinfeld
#3: Eddie Izzard
#2: Bill Hicks
#1: George Carlin

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 14 - Favourite TV Comedies

Patton Oswalt

Patton Oswalt (born January 27, 1969) is an American stand-up comedian, writer, actor and voice actor. He is best known for portraying Spencer Olchin in the popular sitcom The King of Queens, voicing Remy from the film Ratatouille and Thrasher from the Cartoon Network original series Robotomy.

Oswalt first began performing standup comedy in the late 1980s or early 1990s, by his own reckoning. After writing for MADtv and starring in his own 1996 comedy special for HBO, he went on to garner notable roles in films and television shows. His most prominent and long-running role was as Spence Olchin on The King of Queens. His first starring film role was as the voice of Remy, the lead character in the 2007 Pixar film Ratatouille.
Oswalt's stand-up comedy covers topics ranging from pop culture frivolity such as comic book supervillains and 1980s glam metal to deeper social issues like American excess, materialism, Mesopotamian cuneiform script, foreign policy and religion. He also discusses his atheism in his stand-up.

In 2004, Oswalt released a comedy lbum entitled Feelin' Kinda Patton and later that year a longer, unedited version of the same performance entitled 222, both through the United Musicians collective, and a stand-up special, No Reason to Complain. He is also on a split EP called Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton with Zach Galifianakis and is featured on two Un-Cabaret compilations, "The Un & Only" and "The Good, the Bad and the Drugly". On July 10, 2007, Patton released his second CD Werewolves and Lollipops on Sub Pop records.

In 2004, Oswalt put together the Comedians of Comedy tour, made up of modern alt-comics Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn and Maria Bamford. The tour performed at smaller, more intimate indie rock venues instead of traditional (and expensive) comedy clubs. The Fall 2004 tour was documented in a 2005 film of the same name, and was followed by a six-episode Comedy Central series based on the Summer 2005 tour. This tour featured special guest appearances from comedians such as Blaine Capatch, David Cross, Bobby Tisdale and Todd Barry. Subsequent incarnations of the tour have included Eugene Mirman and Morgan Murphy.

In 2004 Patton's stand up material was featured on Comedy Central's animated series Shorties Watchin' Shorties. That same year a stand up DVD called No Reason to Complain was released. Oswalt appeared several times as a "lawyer" on Lewis Black's Root of All Evil. In the episode Ultimate Fighting Vs. Blogging, he argued that the popular influence of the blogging has been evil, and, in his closing argument, he performed a rick roll on the audience. He also provided the stand-up comedy for the closing ceremony.

On February 28, 2009, Patton recorded his third comedy album at the Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University in Washington D.C. It premiered on Comedy Central as Patton Oswalt: My Weakness is Strong on August 23, 2009, and was released on DVD August 25, 2009. The album was nominated for a Grammy Award.

Personal thoughts:
I’ve known about him when the first list came around and thought he was funny enough to be on the list, but man, I recently listened to a full album (My Weakness is Strong) and everybody in the car was laughing very hard.  It was easily the most popular comedy album I bought for the trip, and it was in competition with Louis CK and Paul F Tompkins (the Tompkins album was not all that popular, but part of it was the sound, as we were driving in a loud car and Tompkins sudden switches from very quiet to loud were distracting).  In fact, the driver was worried we were going to have an accident he was laughing so hard.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AhkP0RWQ68w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AhkP0RWQ68w</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Seriously?!? That's classic. A KFC double-down for Patton!!!

L.O.C. #14 - Top Stand Up Comedians

Patton Oswalt

Thoughts
I love Patton Oswalt's stand up. His comedy is incredibly smart, full of great references, and just laugh-out-loud funny. I like comedy that's engaging and requires the audience to bring something to it in terms of intellect, while at the same time has no boundaries and will go anywhere the funny is. I guess it helps that I have essentially the same political views, but even if you don't, you gotta love his pop culture material as well. Robert Evans!!!

The Wiki
Patton Oswalt is an American stand-up comedian, writer, actor and voice actor. He is best known for portraying Spencer Olchin in the popular sitcom The King of Queens, voicing Remy from the film Ratatouille and Thrasher from the Cartoon Network original series Robotomy. Oswalt's stand-up comedy covers topics ranging from pop culture frivolity such as comic book supervillains and 1980s glam metal to deeper social issues like American excess, materialism, Mesopotamian cuneiform script, foreign policy and religion. He also discusses his atheism in his stand-up.

In 2004, Oswalt released a comedy album entitled Feelin' Kinda Patton and later that year a longer, unedited version of the same performance entitled 222, both through the United Musicians collective, and a stand-up special, No Reason to Complain. He is also on a split EP called Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton with  Zach Galifianakis and is featured on two Un-Cabaret compilations, "The Un & Only" and "The Good, the Bad and the Drugly". On July 10, 2007, Patton released his second CD Werewolves and Lollipops on Sub Pop records.

In 2004, Oswalt put together the Comedians of Comedy tour, made up of modern alt-comics Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn and Maria Bamford. The tour performed at smaller, more intimate indie rock venues instead of traditional (and expensive) comedy clubs. The Fall 2004 tour was documented in a 2005 film of the same name, and was followed by a six-episode Comedy Central series based on the Summer 2005 tour.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfan5MacmsI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tfan5MacmsI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LDCjIjsZp_Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LDCjIjsZp_Y?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-oxsMl3iCA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_-oxsMl3iCA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xs4v-zexx8M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xs4v-zexx8M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
Yeah, Patton Oswalt is awesome. Funny about the double posting, too.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
Yeah but a lack of variety is no fun.  Do you want to add a second comedian, or shall I?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
Yeah but a lack of variety is no fun.  Do you want to add a second comedian, or shall I?

I'll do it.

Geez Johnny, you sure do run a tight ship.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »
You know who wasn't on the list but should have been, Patton something or other, big gumpy looking dude, quite funny, funnier than Dane Cook at least.

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 14 - Top Stand Up Comedians

Again, I went back to my original list and picked one that I have found consistently funny.  I really dig his droll style with punchlines that hit out of nowhere.

Todd Barry

The Wiki:
Todd Barry (born March 26, 1964) is an American stand-up comedian, actor and voice actor.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IGCnerRzgZw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IGCnerRzgZw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7FRYqw_Xa4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C7FRYqw_Xa4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
Surprised this didn't make the list...

MURPHY BROWN

The Wiki:

Murphy Brown is an American situation comedy which aired on CBS from November 14, 1988 to May 18, 1998, for a total of 247 episodes. The program starred Candice Bergen as the eponymous Murphy Brown, an investigative journalist and news anchor for FYI, a fictional CBS television newsmagazine.

Murphy Brown (Candice Bergen) is a recovering alcoholic, who, in the show's first episode, returns to FYI for the first time following a stay at the Betty Ford Clinic. Her colleagues at FYI include stuffy anchor Jim Dial (Charles Kimbrough), who affectionately addresses Murphy as "Slugger," and Murphy's best friend and sometime competitor, reporter Frank Fontana (Joe Regalbuto) who addresses Ms. Brown as "Murph". (There was a running gag about Frank's toupée, which he hated, but which producers made him wear on the show.) The main cast also includes two "new" members of the FYI team: producer Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud), who, at 25 and fresh public television, is the perfect object for Murphy's skewering wit and Corky Sherwood (Faith Ford), a former Miss America with a perky personality and utter lack of sophistication when it comes to world affairs. (Sherwood was first runner-up until the winner was forced to resign -- Sherwood remarked in the first episode, "She told everyone she loved animals, but who knew to take her literally?") The FYI team also frequently socializes at Phil's, a bar across the street from their studio in Washington, D.C.. Phil, the bar owner, was played by Pat Corley. Phil's was as a Washington institution and its owner knew everybody who is/was any body in the capital—ranging from J. Edgar Hoover (in drag) to Deep Throat. Brown was unmarried, but had a home life as well: she hired a philosophy-dispensing house painter named Eldin Bernecky (Robert Pastorelli) to repaint her house, but he had so many grand ideas that he was with the show for six seasons.

Thoughts:
This show was amazingly funny and seriously ballsy (I loved how bent out of shape Dan Quayle got about it). We did a tribute to the show at last year's sketchfest with Candice Bergen and Diane English, and English said she'd love to do another six episodes just to tackle Sarah Palin.

and...

One of the best, most creative standups out there today...

JON DORE

The wiki:

Dore spent three years co-hosting Rogers Television's Daytime. For his work, creativity and quick improv skills, he received the Impression Award for best on-air personality in 2001. Dore started his stand up career at Yuk Yuk's Ottawa new talent nights. He is most recognized for his part on CTV's Canadian Idol as the former correspondent reporting on the pressures and excitement of the contest with his unique brand of humour. Dore has also appeared on his own Comedy Now! special for CTV and The Comedy Network, and was featured on the A Channel's comedy special Toronto Laughs. His show, The Jon Dore Television Show, can be seen on The Comedy Network in Canada, and on the Independent Film Channel in the United States. In July 2008, Dore appeared on Comedy Central's stand-up show, Live at Gotham along with several other comedians, notably Geoff Tate.

SERIOUSLY, WATCH THESE LINKS IF YOU LIKE COMEDY:

LINK to Jon Dore/Rory Scovel bit on Conan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCjDwE9-tyo

"You don't like fishing?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq43J_OU-xw&feature=related
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
You know who wasn't on the list but should have been, Patton something or other, big gumpy looking dude, quite funny, funnier than Dane Cook at least.

Seriously, Dane Cook makes the list and Patton doesn't? What kind of fucked up bizarro world is this?!?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »

Doug Stanhope

Thoughts
Doug Stanhope is fucking hilarious. His humor is smart and at times incredibly crude, so I imagine he turns a lot of people off. But his overall message and politics is great, and his jokes go beyond funny. If there's anywhere you think a comedian will not go, he goes there…and camps out for a week. Unsung hero of comedy.

The Wiki
Douglas Gene "Doug" Stanhope is an American stand-up comedian and author known for his abrasive comedy routines, frequently performed while smoking cigarettes and drinking on-stage. Stanhope quit high school after his freshman year. His comedy career began 1990 in Las Vegas.

Stanhope has made appearances at several major comedy festivals, including the Montreal Just For Laughs, US Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colorado, the Chicago Comedy Festival and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland, where he won the Strathmore Press Award in 2002. Stanhope was the winner of the 1995 San Francisco International Comedy Competition where he edged out notable comedic actor Dane Cook in a three-week contest. He's appeared in dozens of national and international standup comedy television specials. He claims that his appearance on the BBC television show, Live Floor Show, (broadcast March 20, 2003) was fueled by "ecstasy". According to Stanhope, "TV is just for the money; live performance is where it’s at."

In 2003 and 2004, Stanhope co-hosted the fifth and sixth seasons of The Man Show with Joe Rogan. In 2005, Stanhope hosted his own radio show on SIRIUS Satellite Radio. He has established a group of touring comics known as The Unbookables featuring artists such as Andy Andrist, Sean Rouse, James Inman, Brett Erickson, Travis Lipski, Brendon Walsh, Norman Wilkerson, Kristine Levine, and Brian Potrafka.[5] The Unbookables' first CD, Morbid Obscenity, also featuring Andrist, Rouse, Lynn Shawcroft, and Banjo Randy, was released July 4, 2006, on Stand Up! Records was released as a benefit for a friend, Arthur Hinty, to help pay for a gastric bypass. Stanhope appeared in the film The Aristocrats, telling a caustic joke to a baby.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ExAw4hIhRIU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ExAw4hIhRIU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8APlx9btTn8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8APlx9btTn8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
Dave Allen

The Wiki
David Tynan O'Mahoney (6 July 1936 – 10 March 2005), better known as Dave Allen, was an Irish comedian, very popular in Great Britain, Australia, and Canada in the 1960s and 1970s. He also became known in the United States through repeats of his shows on public television. His career had a major resurgence during the late 1980s and early 1990s. At the height of his career he was Britain's most controversial comedian, regularly provoking conservative indignation at his frequent highlighting of political hypocrisy and his disregard for religious authority.
Allen's act was typified by his relaxed, rueful and intimate style; he would sit on a high bar stool facing his audience, smoking and occasionally sipping from a glass of what he always allowed people to assume was whiskey, but in fact was merely ginger ale with ice. Literally and metaphorically, he was a sober-minded man who, though sometimes appearing deliberately crotchety and irritable on stage, always gave off an air of charm and serene melancholy both in his act and in real life. Each day he would pore over the newspapers, constantly scribbling notes and ideas which he then expanded for his routines.

He was a religious skeptic. (according to Allen himself, "what you might call a practising atheist", and often joked "I'm an atheist, thank God") as a result of his deeply held objections to the rigidity of his strict Catholic schooling. Consequently, religion became an important subject for his humour,
especially the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England, generally mocking church customs and rituals rather than beliefs. In 1998 he stated "The hierarchy of everything in my life has always bothered me. I'm bothered by power. People, whoever they might be, whether it's the government, or the policeman in the uniform, or the man on the door - they still irk me a bit. From school, from the first nun that belted me - people used to think of the nice sweet little ladies ... they used to knock the fuck out of you, in the most cruel way that they could. They'd find bits of your body that were vulnerable to intense pain - grabbing you by the ear, or by the nose, and lift you, and say 'Don't cry!' It's very hard not to cry. I mean, not from emotion, but pain. The priests were the same. And I sit and watch politicians with great cynicism, total cynicism."
At the end of his act Allen would always raise his glass and quietly toast his audience with the words "Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you", an original and inclusive catchphrase that typified Allen's amiable style.

Along with his seated stand-up routines, his television shows were interspersed with filmed sketch comedy.

Highly regarded in Britain, Allen's comic technique and style had a lasting influence on many young British comedians.[2] His targets were often figures of authority, his style was observational rather than gag-driven, and his language frequently ripe; he was a progenitor for the "alternative" comedians of the 1980s. In Ireland, however, he always remained somewhat controversial because of his mocking of the Catholic Church.

Thoughts
OK so I love Dave Allen, but not as much as my father did and I think that's part of why I'm so fond of him, he reminds me of my dad. My mother, being a deacon and all was always horrified when she heard him on the TV.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxo81Ok9Urk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jxo81Ok9Urk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IfoUM6a4bA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4IfoUM6a4bA</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
I wasn't mad at ya, DB, I just feel if someone accidentally puts one that's already on the list or doubles up, they shouldn't have to use up their choice.  If you didn't have a comedian lined up, I had one.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
rick mercer. kinda the canadian version of jon stewart. his signature bit is "rick's rant". since my last attempt at embedding failed (i worked from a quote and everything!), i'll just throw a bunch of links at you.

vote! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=225Mx6ya7SQ

snow days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Upaaiv2nU

canada explained. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1yhp-_x7A

harper's a genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzoCtoGtd64
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
Don't have time to write him up myself, (Don't even have time to do the list I'm actually DOING) but if a fellow fan (There must be one out there somewhere) could throw up an entry for Dimitri Martin, justice will be retroactively done.