login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47343 times)

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 12 - Top Simpsons Episodes

For this one I went back to my original list and chose the highest episode on my list that didn't make the final LoC.. (EDIT: But then I was informed that what I posted did actually make the list! So I made a change from Homer's Enemy to:)

I Love Lisa

The Wiki:
"I Love Lisa" is the fifteenth episode of The Simpsons' fourth season, and originally aired on the Fox network in the United States on February 11, 1993.  In the episode, Lisa gives Ralph Wiggum a Valentine's Day card when she sees that he has not received any. Ralph looks too much into Lisa's gesture and, much to Lisa's dismay, relentlessly pursues her with affection. Lisa snaps at Ralph and angrily tells him they are not together and that she never liked him. Heartbroken, Ralph channels his feelings into his performance as George Washington in the school's President's Day pageant. After a thunderous applause from the audience, he is able to accept Lisa as just a friend.

Frank Mula wrote the episode, and Wes Archer served as director. Michael Carrington guest-starred as Rex. Al Jean, show runner of the episode, came up with the idea for the story when he remembered that he had received a valentine from a girl in third grade that read "I Choo-Choo-Choose You". The episode was well-received by critics; Entertainment Weekly placed the episode twelfth on their top 25 The Simpsons episodes list. The episode received a Nielsen rating of 14.9 and was the highest rated show on the Fox network the week it aired. The staff received an angry letter from a Vietnam veteran because of a flashback scene depicting the fatal shooting of a Vietnam soldier.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:16:10 PM by Monty »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5135
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Simpsons Episodes)
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
Actually, it was number 5.  Still, it was an amazing episode and easily the darkest in the series, in a good way (not like when Homer was raped by a Panda.

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Simpsons Episodes)
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
Oops.  My bad.  I will pick another episode.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite TV Comedies)
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:35 AM »
Today's topic is sure to get some people interested.  It's top TV comedies.  Here's the original list:

#50: The Mary Tyler Moore Show
#49: Bottom
#48: The Bob Newhart Show
#47: MXC
#46: Reno 911
#45: The Cosby Show
#44: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
#43: Malcolm in the Middle
#42: Night Court
#42: Perfect Strangers
#40: I�m Alan Partridge
#39: Strangers with Candy
#38: All in the Family
#37: The Dick Van Dyke Show
#36: Chapelle's Show
#35: The Larry Sanders Show
#34: Get a Life
#33: Police Squad!
#32: Father Ted
#31: The Honeymooners
#30: Curb Your Enthusiasm
#29: The Venture Brothers
#28: I Love Lucy
#27: Saturday Night Live
#26: The Muppet Show
#25: Get Smart
#24: NewsRadio
#23: The Colbert Report
#22: Frasier
#21: Scrubs
#20: Family Guy
#19: The Daily Show
#18: Fawlty Towers
#17: Red Dwarf
#16: Black Adder
#15: The Kids in the Hall
#14: M*A*S*H*
#13: Mr. Show
#12: Spaced
#11: The Office (UK)
#10: Cheers
#9: 30 Rock
#8: Futurama
#7: South Park
#6: Seinfeld
#5: The Office (US)
#4: Arrested Development
#3: The Simpsons
#2: Monty Python�s Flying Circus
#1: Mystery Science Theatre 3000

anais.jude

« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Had Archer been around during this list, it would have been my number 3 pick (Number 1 is Arrested Development and Number 2 is the Simpsons)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
Then maybe you should take part and do an Archer entry.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:53 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 13 - Favourite TV Comedies

Stella

The Wiki:
Stella is an adaptation of the Stella comedy troupe's stage show and short films. The series follows Michael, Michael, and David, three infantile men who always dress in suits, live together in a New York apartment, and apparently have no jobs. The show is somewhat a mix of sketch comedy and a sitcom; there is a definitive central plot for each episode and recurring characters, but the show purposely ignores continuity and often becomes surreal.

The trio made 28 short films between 1998 and 2002, which were shown as part of the live show. The shorts cover various different topics such as searching for Santa, mustache growing, pizza eating, and other absurd situations. The group cleaned up much of its material for the show, as much of the humor in the sketches and short films was often derived from taboo or adult topics like necrophilia and dildos.

The show employs absurdist humor. Notable guest stars include Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Topher Grace, Tim Blake Nelson, Alan Ruck, Janeane Garofalo, Elizabeth Banks, and Edward Norton.

I couldn't embed a clip from the actual show, but here is a link to it:
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=17346&title=lost

Here is a skit from their stand-up show.  Not quite the same as the show, but still gives you an idea.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdby-GkQlg0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xdby-GkQlg0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Personal thoughts:
This show is completely stupid, but for some reason, it's also completely brilliant.  For me, the humor is perfect, and I really appreciate that they cleaned it up for the TV show (the live show and online skits are pretty raunchy).  It's sad that the show only lasted 10 episodes.  Honestly, I don't think the clips give the show enough credit.  Go check out an entire episode.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:19:10 AM by Kete »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 13 - Favourite TV Comedies

Look Around You

Look Around You is a British television comedy series devised and written by Robert Popper and Peter Serafinowicz, and, in the first series, narrated by Nigel Lambert. The first series of eight 10-minute shorts was shown in 2002, and the second series of six 30-minute episodes in 2005, both on BBC2.

The first series was broadcast on BBC America in early 2005, with a slightly edited version of the second series airing in March 2006. Starting 18 January 2009, the series was aired on Adult Swim in the US (rated TV-PG). The first series of Look Around You was nominated for a BAFTA award in 2003.

Although a third series has been ruled out, Robert Popper stated that he and Serafinowicz will do another project together, saying:

"Sad news is we are not making a third series of Look Around You, but hope to make a new series of something else silly some time."
In the first series, the episodes ("modules") satirise and pay homage to late 1970s and early 1980s educational films and school programmes such as ITV's "Experiment" series, which were re-run for many years after they were made. A different scientific subject is covered in each episode.

The humour is derived from a combination of patent nonsense and faithful references and homages. For instance, fictional items that have a passing resemblance to everyday objects are shown and discussed.

The module subjects are distorted beyond recognition; for instance, germs are described as coming from Germany, and whiskey is said to be made by combining water with nitrogen. The maths module features a distorted and inaccurate version of the ancient 'seven cats' puzzle by Ahmes. Additionally, subjects are mixed - for example a chemistry experiment about eggs (In the episode Water) turns into a French language lesson. Each episode follows a general format, beginning with an introduction to the subject, followed by a series of silly experiments performed by the hapless (and normally mute) scientists, played by Popper, Serafinowicz and Edgar Wright, among others.

The series has been praised for its attention to detail. The colour and overall look of the film was purposely altered to replicate 1980s television for schools, and passably authentic incidental music written by Serafinowicz and Popper under the pseudonym Gelg was overdubbed to complete the parody of the original programmes.

A running gag throughout the series is the fastidious labelling of all items, such as hairdryers, magnets, or a jar of nuts (which contained both types of nut: the foodstuff and fastener). Another recurring joke is the use of fictional apparatus and materials used in the experiments – items such as the Besselheim plate pokes fun at real lab equipment, often named after their designers (e.g. Petri dish, Erlenmeyer flask). Pencils are always used to point at key elements of the experiments, as the 'scientists' do not speak: this is sometimes taken to ridiculous levels—pointing out pencils using a pencil; pointing at chocolates and then at a person to show they are a gift.

According to the audio commentary, the program is set around 1980-81. To reinforce the show's retro look, each episode's opening continuity announcement (typically narrated by Serafinowicz, who exaggerated the sound of his breathing and mouth movements to simulate the effect of the microphones used at that time) played over the 3-dimensional BBC Two ident from 1979–1986. Additionally, location footage was shot on 16mm film, of the type used for location filming at the time. Episode 1 features a Top of the Pops-style introduction complete with the real TOTP theme music from the early 80s - "Yellow Pearl" by Phil Lynott.

Personal thoughts:
Absolutely brilliant.  One of the funniest shows I've ever seen that sends up educational filmstrips.  That's not new ground, but this takes a different tact by focusing on  70's/80's styled science films that appeared as part of a curriculum (or according to my sister's boyfriend on daytime television).  I love it's made up science and the brilliant deadpan approach (so deadpan that it's easy to miss a lot of jokes).  The pacing doesn't follow the kind of comic rhythms you expect from a lot of these spoofs and while there are lots of big obvious jokes there are lots of little subtle ones.  In fact, the narration and pacing are so spot on, there are jokes that seem big and obvious that you still might miss (a sort of forest for the trees situation).  Plus lots of great background stuff.  I know people generally don't like season 2 as much when they switched formats, but that has a lot of good bits too, in my opinion.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/drE5cHe6c3s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/drE5cHe6c3s</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
at's not new ground, but this takes a different tact by focusing on  70's/80's styled science films that appeared as part of a curriculum (or according to my sister's boyfriend on daytime television).  
There's no or about it, the shows for the lessons were what filled up a large portion of the schedule for British daytime TV until fairly recently.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
L.O.C. #13 - Top TV Comedies

SCTV

Thoughts
Well, as usual, SNL makes a comedy list while SCTV gets overlooked. I loved SNL but I loved SCTV even better. The cast was a who's who of comedy writing and acting. For me, it just didn't any better than this when it came to sketch comedy. And it absolutely holds up even after all these years. I doubt we'll ever see this much comedic talent gathered on one show.

The Wiki
The basic premise of the show is that "SCTV" is an independent television station in the city of Melonville, in an unknown American state—though the popular Great White North skit, with its inside jokes about the government-mandated Canadian content, suggests a border town with an inferiority complex. Rather than broadcasting the usual TV rerun fare, the station produces a bizarre and humorously incompetent range of cheap local programming. This can range from a soap opera called "The Days of the Week" ("Monday... Tuesday... Wednesday... these are... the days of the week"), to game shows like "Shoot At The Stars" in which celebrities are literally shot at like targets in a shooting gallery, to full blown movie spoofs like "Play it Again, Bob" in which Woody Allen (Rick Moranis) tries to get Bob Hope (Dave Thomas) to star in his next film.

A typical episode of SCTV would present a compendium of programming seen on the station throughout their programming day. This would mean a given episode could contain everything from SCTV news broadcasts to sitcoms, dramas, talk shows, kids shows, and/or game shows. Episodes would also feature a range of SCTV-produced promos and commercials, such as spots for "Al Peck's Used Fruit" or "Shower In A Briefcase", or a PSA which helpfully describes "Seven Signs You May Already Be Dead". Also seen fairly frequently (particularly in the later episodes) were behind-the-scenes plots focusing on life at the station.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bB6KFa7-6B4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bB6KFa7-6B4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8GqbCrsfrfs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8GqbCrsfrfs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QvB5Ch0uN3U?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QvB5Ch0uN3U?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
Woah, I had to double check but I'm shocked SCTV didn't make it.  Lots of great stuff on that show.  I especially loved the 1984 episode and, of course, Six Gun Justice, which had Eugene Levy at it's finest.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
Woah, I had to double check but I'm shocked SCTV didn't make it.  Lots of great stuff on that show.  I especially loved the 1984 episode and, of course, Six Gun Justice, which had Eugene Levy at it's finest.

It's an egregious oversight.

The 1984 episode is classic! I love Dave Thomas as Comrade Kangaroo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KpM3mb9bgY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4KpM3mb9bgY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PVcCVd_eumA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PVcCVd_eumA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 13 - Top TV Comedies

OK, this one was my original number one pick for this list, but it was "disqualified" for not being a comedy
 in the traditional sense.  Well I say heck with that.  The show is funny, and to me that makes it a "TV Comedy"

Match Game

The Wiki:
Match Game (also called The Match Game, Match Game '7"X", and Match Game PM) is an American television game show featuring contestants attempting to match celebrities' answers to fill-in-the-blank questions. Gene Rayburn is the host most commonly associated with the show.

The most famous versions of the 1970s and 1980s, starting with Match Game '73, are remembered for their bawdy and sometimes rowdy humor involving contestants trying to match six celebrities. The series has been franchised around the world, often under the name Blankety Blank(s).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KYavIFqFwIw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KYavIFqFwIw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ViFaETrxKcM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ViFaETrxKcM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

I also edited my Simpsons pick for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:09:59 PM by Monty »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Great episode. The whole scene at the Quimby compound is hilarious. Terminator Skinner. "Magic ticket my ass, McBain!" "It's chowda! Say it right!!!" And the waiter's outrageously drawn-out fall. Definitely the Simpson's heyday.

I Love Lisa
Another great episode. It's one of those hilarious, yet touching episodes. This was back when the show just seemed to have more heartfelt soul than it does now. "Look in the tunk." "Where do want these beef hearts? - "On the floor." The whole school play story is great.

ARCHER
Yes. I wholeheartedly support ARCHER being on this list. Great show.

Stella
I watched this when it was on and it was good for some laughs. The trio has good comedic chemistry. Even though it was on Comedy Central, it just seemed like one of those shows that was doomed to fail.

Look Around You
I vaguely remember hearing about this when it was on Adult Swim, but I never watched it. I guess I was missing out. The sample is pretty damn funny. What's great is that it looks and feels so authentic, but the content is just ridiculous. I'll have to look into this further. Computerized Toast System!

The Match Game
From what I've seen of this show, it is pretty funny. Gene Rayburn was great. I love how they would get hammered and do the show, especially Dawson. What a boozy lech!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
Oh and on the narration for Look Around You: When I read educational modules that's the approximate delivery I do it's something genuine educational programming (and my own education) instilled in me.