login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47322 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 8 - Top Holiday Songs
Christmas with the Devil
Spinal Tap

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KneOdEDwDEc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KneOdEDwDEc</a>

(From a fan site)
Written by Nigel Tufnel, and like many of his songs, inspired by a dream he had. From 1992 album, "Break Like the Wind." NBC-TV refused to allow the band to perform it during their 1992 reunion special, saying its lyrics promoted evil, although Tap did perform the song on NBC’s "Saturday Night Live" in 1984. Derek: "We’re not advocating [Satanism]. Man’s relationship with the Supreme Evil One is a very private affair. The song is just a depiction, imagining what’s happening with Satan this time of year." Nigel: "Think about it from the devil’s point of view is all we’re saying." (LT) Early on, the band attempted to add a verse in rap to widen the song’s appeal. (SP) Released as a holiday single in 1984 and in a 7-inch picture disk that showed the devil wearing a Santa hat on one side and Tap on the other. Includes this message from the band as the song ends: "This is Spinal Tap, wishing you and yours the most joyous of holiday seasons. God bless us everyone."

Now for some contemporary jazz fusion!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvCjZJenyN8&amp;NR" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvCjZJenyN8&amp;NR</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Favourite Holiday Songs)
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
L.O.C. #8 - Top Holiday Songs

Things I Want

I want a solid-gold Harley with machine guns on the front
I want a Mötley Crüe lunch box filled with sticky buns

Thoughts
We're really having ourselves a metal little x-mas! Well let the headbanging continue. Not exactly your traditional holiday faire, but there's more than enough of that to go around. Here's Tenacious D belting out a kick-ass wish list with very adequate power metal backing from Sum 41. I love Tenacious D and I'm a sucker for power metal, so I couldn't really ask for more in a holiday song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/htl3zWM9EMA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/htl3zWM9EMA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:35:54 AM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »
Indie hipster Christmas celebration!

SUFJAN STEVENS -- HEY GUYS! IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!

The Wiki:

Songs for Christmas is a box set of five separate EPs of Christmas-related songs and carols recorded by independent musician Sufjan Stevens between 2001 and 2006. The EPs had been given as gifts to friends and family of Stevens over the past six years, except for 2004 where he was too busy recording the Illinois album. Though the first three EPs have been available on Sufjan Stevens-related fansites for several years, Songs for Christmas is the first official release of these EPs. Most of the tracks are versions of traditional Christmas songs, with a number of original compositions such as "Sister Winter" and "Star of Wonder."

The box set includes a poster of Sufjan Stevens, an animated short for "Put the Lights on the Tree" by Tom Eaton, an essay by Rick Moody, two original short stories by Stevens, stickers, comics and a sing-a-long book for all five discs. During Stevens' international tour in the later half of 2006, he regularly performed the original song "That Was the Worst Christmas Ever" while releasing inflatable Santas into the audience for fun. Songs for Christmas was generally well-received by music critics.

Here it on the ol' YuTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrEHg-0WxBQ
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
I don't know, he sounds like evaporated milk singing, that's usually the sign of a poor female singer.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »
Merry Xmas Everybody
Can I just say how epic those muttonchops are? And big-ass plaid lapels with a plaid tie? That dude is killin' it in the style department. That was their best selling single of all time? I had no idea how wildly popular that was.

Christmas with the Devil
Classic pick. I love Shearer's costume, especially when he's thumping the tail against the stage.

HEY GUYS! IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!
All I want for christmas is an ironic t-shirt and Arcade Fire on vinyl picture disc.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Riff Wishlist Part 1)
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Wow, amazing how many of these have been riffed, and how many there are too go.  Here's the original list.

#50: Braveheart
#49: High School Musical
#48: Star Trek: the Motion Picture
#47: Congo
#46: From Justin to Kelly
#45: Planet of the Apes
#44: Ghost Rider
#43: Willow
#42: Grease
#41: Escape From LA
#40: The Island
#39: National Treasure
#38: Rocky IV
#37: Dirty Dancing
#36: Under Siege
#35: Total Recall
#34: The Running Man
#33: The Last Starfighter
#32: Superman Returns
#31: Escape From New York
#30: The Hulk
#29: The X-Files
#28: Alien
#27:The Wizard
#26: Zardoz
#25: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
#24: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
#23: Xanadu
#22: Superman III
#21: Highlander II: The Quickening
#20: Waterworld
#19: Billy Jack
#18: Masters of the Universe
#17: The Matrix Reloaded
#16: Catwoman
#15: Batman Forever
#14: Face/Off
#13: House of the Dead
#12: Super Mario Bros.
#11: Jurassic Park
#10:Dune
#9: Armageddon
#8: Resident Evil
#7: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
#6: Street Fighter
#5: Commando
#4: AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
#3: Titanic
#2: Godzilla
#1: Red Dawn

Now tell us what other movies you'd like to see riffed.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:45 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 8 - Top Holiday Songs
The Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage

You'll Live Its Adventure... You'll love its heroes!

The Ewok Adventure is a 1984 American made-for-TV film based in the Star Wars setting. It was released theatrically in Europe as Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, and is known by that title today. The film focuses on the struggles of a brother and sister, stranded on the forest moon of Endor, in locating their parents, who have been kidnapped by a monster known as the Gorax. The film is set sometime between the fifth and sixth episodes of the Star Wars saga. It is the first of two spin-off films featuring the Ewoks from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

On the forest moon of Endor, the starcruiser of the Towani family lies wrecked. The Towani family (Catarine, Jeremitt, Mace, and Cindel) are stranded. When Catarine and Jeremitt vanish, the children are found by the Ewok Deej. After Mace tries to kill them, the Ewoks subdue him and take both children to the Ewoks’ home. There, Cindel and Wicket become friends. Shortly thereafter, the Ewoks kill a beast only to find a life-monitor from one of the Towani parents with the creature.

They seek out the Ewok Logray who informs them that the parents have been taken by the monstrous Gorax, who resides in a deserted, dangerous area. A caravan of Ewoks is formed to help the children find their parents. They meet up with a wistie named Izrina and a boisterous Ewok named Chukha-Trok before finally reaching the lair of the Gorax. They engage the Gorax in battle, freeing Jeremitt and Catarine, but Chukha-Trok is killed. The Gorax is thought destroyed when he is knocked into a chasm, but it takes a final blow from Mace (using Chukha-Trok’s axe) to kill the creature, who tries to climb back up after them. Thus reunited, the Towanis decide to stay with the Ewoks until they can repair the starcruiser, and Izrina leaves to go back to her family.

Personal Thoughts[b/] - This is one of the movies I watched over and over again as a kid.  A very young kid, mind you.  Nostalgia is a powerful force, so as bad as this movie is (I imagine), I think that it would make for a tremendously fun riff, up there with the Star Wars Holiday Special. Come back to DVD soon please!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJObyY3I3Ms" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fJObyY3I3Ms</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqwgiHWe57k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xqwgiHWe57k</a>
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:11:21 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
L.O.C. #9 - Top Movies You Want Rifftrax to Riff

You're gonna regret this the rest of your life... both seconds of it.

Thoughts
I've always thought this would make for an outstanding riff. It's so target-rich. Crazy premise, over-the-top acting, ridiculous costumes, plenty of stupid action quips, all kinds of goofy futuristic elements, lame attempts at humor, just seems like they could a field day with it. Stallone, Snipes, Dennis Leary, Rob Schneider, seashells, Taco Bell of the future, new no-touch sex, how could this not turn out well?

The Wiki
Demolition Man is a 1993 American dystopian, science fiction action film directed by Marco Brambilla, and starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. Sandra Bullock, Nigel Hawthorne, and Denis Leary co-star.

The film tells the story of two men — one, an evil crime lord; the other, a risk-taking police officer — who are cryogenically frozen in the year 1996 and reawakened in 2032. Following a massive earthquake in 2010 that destroyed much of Los Angeles, it merged with San Diego to form a planned city called San Angeles in which all crime has seemingly been eliminated from mainstream society. Some aspects of the film allude to Aldous Huxley's dystopian novel, Brave New World.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/18e4GeUwVWs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/18e4GeUwVWs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OrWcEGDXOUg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OrWcEGDXOUg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 9 - Top Movies You Want Rifftrax To Riff

Still would love to see them tackle any one of these seventies disaster films, but if I had to choose one it would be:

Airport 1977

The Wiki:
The film stars a number of veteran actors, including Jack Lemmon, James Stewart, Joseph Cotten, Christopher Lee and Olivia de Havilland. Like its predecessors, Airport '77 was a box office hit earning US$30 million and was nominated for two Academy Awards. It was directed by Jerry Jameson.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0q09eZ1s_Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u0q09eZ1s_Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:29 PM »
The Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage
Excellent pick! I'd kill to see MKB go to town on this schlockfest. They could have so much fun with this and it could indeed rival the Holiday Special. May the stars align so that it may come to pass. That little mini-me Greatest American Hero kid drives me right up the wall!

Airport 1977
Another cool idea. I love San Francisco International and it'd be interesting to see their take on a big budget airport movie with big-time actors. And yeah, I'd like to see them do any of the seventies disaster blockbusters. Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, The Swarm, those could all be good ones.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Villains)
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:12 AM »
Today it's greatest villains!  Tell us yours, but don't forget to check out the previous list.  It has some pretty cool picks.

#50: Bill the Butcher
#49: Pinhead
#48: Ernst Stavro Blofeld
#47: Mayor Richard Wilkins
#46: Patrick Bateman
#45: Ozymandius
#44: Q
#43: Predator
#42: Frank
#41: Anton Chigurh
#40: Gozer
#39: Dr. Evil
#38: Auric Goldfinger
#37: The Shark
#36: Megatron
#35: Michael Myers
#34: The Wicked Witch of the West
#33: The Terminator
#32: Xenomorph
#31: The Master
#30: Freddie Krueger
#29: HAL 9000
#28: Professor Moriarty
#27: Norman Bates
#26: Voldemort
#25: Shredder
#24: Venom
#23: Doctor Octopus
#22: Iago
#21: Bowser
#20: Satan
#19: Agent Smith
#18: Ganondorf
#17: Angelus
#16: The Monarch
#14: T-1000
#13: Dr. Doom
#12: Hannibal Lector
#11: Count Dracula
#10: Montgomery Burns
#9: Hans Gruber
#8: Emperor Palpatine
#7: Kahn Noonien Singh
#6: Dr. Clayton Forrester
#5: Magneto
#4: Sauron
#3: Lex Luthor
#2: The Joker
#1: Darth Vader

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2011, 05:59:18 AM »
\
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 10 - Top Villains

God, this one is tough, because while I like the original list, there are lots of great missing from it.  Angel Eyes, Mojo Jojo, GLaDOS (though she did make the best video game characters list), Eric Cartman, etc.  Plus, Don't forget the great comic book villains who didn't make it: Darkseid, the Riddler, Bullseye, Etc.  But again, this is also a chance to celebrate characters that aren't so well known:

Friend

I can’t find a proper bio on my villain for this today’s subject, so I had to write it myself.

Friend is the central villain of the manga series (and later film series) 20th Century Boys.  Friend is the leader of the Friendship Party, a political movement and cult.  What makes his cult incredibly strange is that it seems to be centered entirely around the games a group of children were playing in the late 60’s (which in turn were modeled after the various cartoons, comics, toys and such that they were consuming at the time) and their plans to grow up to become super-heroes and save the world.  Obviously, this never happened and the children grew up to be normal adults with their own issues, ironically only becoming heroes (though villains in the eyes of the public) when they are forced to reunite to uncover the secret of who Friend is and what his overall plans are.  Friend seems to have taken their game (which was scribbled down in a notebook titled “the Book of Prophecy”) and seems intent on making both the heroic rescue of Japan and the threat that motivated it real.

According to his followers in the Friendship Party, Friend has super-human abilities and perhaps even psychic powers, but it is unclear as to how much of this is real and how much is simply smoke and mirrors.  It is undeniable that he has tremendous charisma, instilling in the people who follow him complete and utter loyalty in the hopes of making his world vision come true.  Over the course of the series (without giving away too much), Friend rises to power in a number of ways and the Friendship Party’s power on the world stage is unavoidable.  Friend, though cool tempered and brilliant, is very childish and seems completely focused on childhood nostalgia.    He’s not so interested in saving or ruling the world as much as he is about seeing how far he can take his game.

The truth behind Friend’s identity and motives are the central mysteries of the series and even when Friend’s true identity is apparently revealed, halfway through the series, his true nature remains a mystery until the very end.  For the majority of the series, Friend’s true face is unseen and when it is not simply kept in shadow, he is seen wearing either a cloth mask carrying the symbol of the Friendship Party or wears cheap plastic kid's masks that can be bought during festivals.

Personal Thoughts – I find things like cults scary (then who doesn’t, members aside).  It’s not just that there are a large number of people in a cult or that their creepy and up to no good.  It’s the fact that a lot of members are true believers and that absolute certainty that they’re right no matter what evidence there is to the contrary.  Friend uses his charisma and ability to tap into what people want to be a part of to completely dominate his followers. He works as a straight up super-villain, but the fact that he essentially creates himself as a messiah for insanely petty reasons is pretty frightening.  Is he a believer?  That would be telling, but there’s no doubt that Friend is a megalomaniac and that what Friend represents is just as dangerous as Friend himself, if not more so.

The other reason I like the character is I think the idea of creating a cult entirely around nostalgia is very clever.  Nostalgia is a powerful force in its own right and for people to be told that they can be like the heroes they grew up on stopping clear cut “villains” would certainly be inviting for people who are looking for something to believe in.  Its like a sub-par sci-fi novelist saying the answer is we’re all the ghosts of space aliens and… actually, I think Friend’s ideas make more sense.

Oh and apropos of nothing, one of my favourite moments, which is both funny and scary, is when a robotics expert who's daughter is kidnapped is dealing with the cult who demand that they build him a robot.  The Friendship Party starts bickering amongst themselves as what counts as a robot and whether their giant city destroying robot should resemble Gigantor (which is remote controlled) or a Gundam (which is piloted).  While the expert is desperately trying to explain that a giant robot like those wouldn't exist in real life, Friend decides to settle the argument by saying that the robot should be versatile and what it should be able to do both.  The Friendship Party cheers and the poor robotics expert still can't get through to them that ROBOTS DON'T WORK THAT WAY!
Trailer for the movie trilogy based on the series

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OCFOM5mZx28" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OCFOM5mZx28</a>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:02:54 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 10 - Top Villains
Vladimir Harkonnen
From the Dune Wiki
"Commonly referred to as Baron Harkonnen, his title is officially Siridar (planetary governor) Baron. Vladimir Harkonnen is the direct-line male descendant of the Bashar Abulurd Harkonnen who was banished for cowardice after the Battle of Corrin. The return of House Harkonnen to power generally is ascribed to adroit manipulation of the whale fur market and later consolidation with melange wealth from Arrakis. The Siridar-Baron died on Arrakis during the Revolt. Title passed briefly to the na-Baron, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen." - Appendix IV of Dune

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is probably the main antagonist of the first Dune book, being the leader of the evil House Harkonnen. He appears in all the books of the Prelude to Dune, as well as the first Dune book, in which he dies at the hands of a young Alia Atreides wielding the Gom Jabbar. He also later returns to possess Alia in Children of Dune. He is known for his sadistic nature, extreme obesity, and great love of young boys. According to the Prelude books he was, at first, a good-looking, muscular man. However, when trying to rape Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam, he was infected by a disease which caused him to become so fat that he eventually had to be carried around by a suspensor belt at all times to move.

When he was killed by Alia, House Harkonnen passed to his na-Baron, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnon. He challenged Paul Atreides to a duel, which Paul won. After Paul defeated Feyd, House Harkonnen passed to the next living heir, the Lady Jessica, who declined the title. Paul then ruled that House Harkonnen passed to himself as the last living heir, and became subsumed into the throne.

Approximately 15244 A.G, Vladimir was resurrected as a ghola by the Lost Tleilaxu Uxtal at the bidding of the new generation of Face Dancers. He was decanted on Tleilax, but later moved by Khrone to Caladan to be raised by the Face Dancers. He was eventually given charge of a ghola of Paul Atreides, being told by Khrone that the Atreides ghola would be very important to their plans soon.

My Thoughts:
I really like the fat old Baron; it's fairly common for the hero to have a contentious relationship with his father but generally his grandpa isn't a concern let alone a mortal enemy. The Baron's relationship from beyond the grave with his granddaughter Alia is really the only part of Children of Dune that I really like, it's much more interesting than anything else in the novel. I rather like the vicious bastard which is always good in a villain.

I much preferred McNeice's turn as the Baron, he's much more like the character from the book rather than whatever the hell McMillam was doing (the film is really quite pants, except visually. sometimes). But here they are side by side for comparison

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWq15lDh8yM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mWq15lDh8yM</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay3bCW3F3QU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay3bCW3F3QU</a>

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:20:51 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »
I'm glad to see you participating Tripe.  Never read Dune myself, but I remember the unpleasant visual of Harkonnen in the Dune trailers and such.  Sounds like a right nasty bastard, that's for sure.  Also, I didn't know fat was an STD.  Is that what happened to Kirstie Alley?

Are those scars in the Lynch version a result of the... uh... fat disease, or was there other misfortunes.  It seems like Lynch makes some good decisions but makes a number of bad ones for every good one.

Good idea: the fat disease causes nasty disgusting scarring.  It's like a mark of Cain thing for the rape he committed.
Bad idea: Weird fetishistic of the scarring by a henchman (and the acting from both didn't help).

Good idea: High open ceilings and such.  Since he can fly around it makes sense to have spaces designed where he can easy float from one area of his base to the next.
Bad idea: Floating up, up... and not really going anywhere.  Not much of a glory shot.  Then an oil bath.  OK, whatevs.

Good idea: I like that the villain has his creepy love slaves with plugs in there hearts they can pull out.  I actually think that's creepy and quite visceral that he can simply pluck the life out of someone's body.
Bad: Uh... that scene didn't really play that well.

But yeah, McNiece played it better.  The directing of the TV mini-series for those scenes seemed OK, but it made me realize that I kind of want to see Twilight of the Ice Nymphs director Guy Madden do a Dune film.

anais.jude

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
Could death be considered a villain? He (it) is certainly and antagonist in many a novel. As is really bad weather.

Outside of that, Byonic Barry from Archer. "0 for 3 off the roof"