Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47714 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic Riffs Wishlist 2)
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
Again, sorry for being late.  Today, it's the riff wishlist part 2

#50: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
#49: The Sound of Music
#48: Friday the 13th
#47: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
#46: War of the Worlds
#45: The Mummy: Curse of the Dragon Emperor
#44: Ghost Rider
#43: Super Mario Bros.
#42: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
#41: Eagle Eye
#40: Total Recall
#39: Transformers: the Movie
#38: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
#37: Double Dragon
#36: The Wizard of Oz
#35: Gungeons and Dragons
#34: Superman Returns
#33: Batman Begins
#32: AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
#31: The Matrix Revolutions
#30: Aliens
#29: Jaws: The Revenge
#28: Congo
#27: Waterworld
#26: From Justin to Kelly
#25: Star Wars: the Clone Wars
#24: Catwoman
#23: Commando
#22: The Mummy
#21: Billy Jack
The rest was never finished
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:25:57 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 19 – More Movies You Want to See Riffed
This one literally JUST NOW came to me and while I love the movie, I think it would be great.
The Dark Crystal

The Dark Crystal is a 1982 British and American fantasy film directed by puppeteers Jim Henson and Frank Oz, creators of The Muppet Show. Although still marketed as a family film, it was notably darker than previous material created by them. Characters for which they are famous do not appear, but some of the same performers are used. The animatronics used in the film were considered groundbreaking. The primary concept artist was the fantasy illustrator Brian Froud, famous for his distinctive faerie and dwarf designs. Froud also collaborated with Jim Henson and Frank Oz for their next project, the 1986 film Labyrinth, which was notably more light-hearted than The Dark Crystal.

The Dark Crystal was produced by Gary Kurtz, whose list of credits includes American Graffiti, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return to Oz, and Slipstream. The screenplay was written by David Odell, who had worked with Henson as a staff writer on The Muppet Show. Trevor Jones provided the film's atmospheric music. The film makes an attempt to study the nature of good and evil in terms of conscience, destiny, and the triune nature of harmony. The film was produced by ITC Entertainment, the British production company responsible for producing The Muppet Show.

Another planet, another time. 1000 years ago the mysterious Dark Crystal was damaged by one of the Urskeks and an age of chaos has began! The evil race of grotesque birdlike lizards the Skeksis, gnomish dragons who rule their fantastic planet with an iron claw. Meanwhile the orphan Jen, raised in solitude by a race of the peace-loving wizards called the Mystics, embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of the Dark Crystal which gives the Skesis their power and restore the balance of the universe.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzgVPB5dpgg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzgVPB5dpgg</a>

Personal thoughts:
This movie scared the crap out of me when my sister would rent it.  I actually liked it, but I was too scared of Fizzgig to move forward (plus the Skeksis were a tad scary).  When I got older, I rented it and loved it.  Still, over the top fantasy films with their own set up rules make for fun targets.  It's fun and crazy and would make for a tremendous riff.  This, along with the Wizard, would be perfect for the Brothers Chaps to do a guest riff (who are also my number one on my guest riffer wish list.  This might be the only time that we'd see a Jim Henson movie riffed.  Maybe Labyrinth, but this strikes me as a much better choice.

Also, for a bonus:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
Why was that LoC never finished?

Also, that Maris Shriver/Aughra pic is hilarious. And yes, that would make a spectacular riff. Love that movie.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
I think it was a mix of Greg being busy and Greg being grumpy.  But I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
Why was that LoC never finished?
I think it was a mix of Greg being busy and Greg being grumpy.  But I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up.

Who doesn't finish a List of Crap?!? That's worse than leaving someone's #1 pick off the list!

L.O.C. #19 - Top Movies You Want Riffed

Quarantine

Thoughts
I really enjoyed the Cloverfield Rifftrax. This is a found-footage Cloverfield type movie, with a crazy zombie virus instead of a monster. It's also more claustrophobic given it all takes place in an apartment building. Quarantine stars Jennifer Carpenter, who I can't stand to the point where she almost ruins Dexter for me. The cast is filled with stock characters, over the top crazed zombie action, and a somewhat annoying and sometimes shrieking performance by Carpenter (although as previously mentioned, I'm a bit biased on the subject. I think MKB could have a lot of fun with this one.

The Wiki
Quarantine is a 2008 American horror film, directed by John Erick Dowdle and starring Jennifer Carpenter. The film is a shot-for-shot remake of the Spanish horror film REC with a few exceptions such as added scenes and dialogue. Shot in the "found footage" style, the movie was released in 2008 by Screen Gems. The film features no incidental music, being "scored" only with sound effects. The film received mixed to positive reviews from critics.

Television reporter Angela Vidal and her cameraman are assigned to spend the night shift with a Los Angeles Fire Station. After a routine 911 call takes them to a small apartment building, they find police officers already on the scene in response to blood curdling screams coming from one of the apartment units. They soon learn that a woman living in the building has been infected by something unknown. After a few of the residents are viciously attacked, they try to escape with the news crew in tow, only to find that the CDC has quarantined the building. Phones, internet, televisions and cell phone access have been cut-off, and officials are not relaying information to those locked inside. When the quarantine is finally lifted, the only evidence of what took place is the news crew's videotape.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uZ15yrxh7ZQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uZ15yrxh7ZQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I cant believe they got the FRONTLINE narrator to do one of the trailers.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4inLY7YmNI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D4inLY7YmNI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 19 – More Movies You Want to See Riffed

Brothers Grimm

From the Wiki: The Brothers Grimm is a 2005 fantasy comedy film directed by Terry Gilliam. The film stars Matt Damon and Heath Ledger in an exaggerated portrait of the Brothers Grimm as traveling con-artists in French-occupied Germany during the late 18th century. However, the brothers eventually encounter a genuine fairy tale curse which requires real courage instead of their usual bogus exorcisms. Supporting roles are portrayed by Peter Stormare, Lena Headey, Jonathan Pryce, and Monica Bellucci.

My Thoughts: Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. That’s why I’m really itching to see one of his movies riffed. The problem is that many of Gilliam’s films would be tricky to riff, if not nearly impossible. The movies are generally pretty dense, both in terms of the mise-en-scene and in the sense that his films aren’t exactly light fare, and it’d be difficult to work a riff around a film like this.

Brothers Grimm is about the least-Gilliam film Gilliam has ever made. It’s a movie that you can safely turn your brain off for and not miss a thing. The plot is straightforward and exceedingly simple to follow, the characters aren’t exactly richly layered, and the movie has a happy ending, to boot. The acting tends to get hammy, the premise is a touch goofy, the special effects are questionable at times, and really, there’s nothing in this film that sets it apart from other fantasy movies. It’s stupid, but inoffensively so. I’ve always found it fun, myself, even if it’s not exactly a Gilliam movie. It’s perfect riff fodder, as far as I’m concerned.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QkwDld1d4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QkwDld1d4</a>

(Apologies if the YouTube clip doesn't embed. I have the worst luck with those...)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Brothers Grimm

Oh God yes! This movie is so stupid! Both the premis and Gilliam directing had so much premis, but it turned out so badly. Perfect riff fodder.

MontyServo

Re: The Rest of the Best: A LoC Funtime Supplement
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
LoC Rest of the Best - Day 19 - Top Movies That Need To Be Rifftrax (or something like that) Part 2
Falls under the category of comedy that is so pretentious and unfunny that it needs to be brought down a few pegs.  Not that it isn't already down with the lowest of the low.  One of the worst big budget films ever made.

Town & Country

The Wiki:
Town & Country is a 2001 film starring Goldie Hawn, Warren Beatty, Diane Keaton and Garry Shandling and directed by Peter Chelsom. It is a romantic comedy in which Beatty plays New York City architect Porter Stoddard, with Keaton as his wife and Hawn and Shandling as their best friends. It holds the distinction of being one of the biggest money-losing films in American film history. This is Beatty and Keaton's second film since 1981's Reds. As well, this is Beatty's third film with Hawn since 1971's $ and 1975's Shampoo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPX_1XQtmB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DPX_1XQtmB4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

And yes, I know that the guys never do comedies (or that at least it is highly unlikely that they will do comedies).  Just saying that if they wanted to do one, this would be a great choice.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:37:59 PM by Monty »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
I despise The Brothers Grimm. Hate hate hate it. I didn't even finish it. After the guy shredded the kitten and that was supposed to be funny I just left in disgust. Unfunny, uninteresting, revolting, and offensive.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite Authors)
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2011, 01:48:33 AM »
Hey all, today's topic is authors.  And yes, my avatar is being used ironically, don't worry (unless you are worrying about me being a hipster, because ironic avatars are one step into that direction).  Anyway, here's the original list:

#50: Brian K. Vaughan
#49: George MacDonald Fraser
#48: Clive Barker
#47: Dave Berry
#46: William Shakespeare
#45: Iain Banks
#44: Kevin J Anderson
#43: F. Scot Fitzgerald
#42: Ray Bradbury
#41: Jonathan Safran Foer
#40: P.G. Wodehouse
#39: Frank Herbert
#38: Hunter S Thompson
#37: Harlan Ellson
#36: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
#35: Sylvia Plath
#34: Raymond Chandler
#33: Cormac McCarthy
#32: C.S. Lewis
#31: George R.R. Martin
#30: Haruki Murakami     
#29: Bill Bryson
#28: Neal Stephenson
#27: Edgar Allen Poe
#26: Arthur C Clarke
#25: John Steinbeck
#24: Frank Miller
#23: H.G. Wells
#22: Jane Austen
#21: H.P. Lovecraft
#20: William Faulker
#19: Mike Nelson
#18: Harper Lee
#17: Charles Dickens
#16: Roald Dahl
#15: Mark Twain
#14: J.K. Rowling
#13: George Orwell
#12: Orson Scot Card
#11: Arthur Conan Doyle
#10: Ernest Hemingway
#9: Philip K Dick
#8: Isaac Asimov
#7: J. R.R. Tolkien
#6: Neil Gaiman
#5: Terry Pratchett
#4: Stephen King
#3: Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
#2: Alan Moore
#1: Douglas Adams

anais.jude

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »
Within the last year I have absolutely fallen in love with Norman Mailer, so he is my pick. And I suggest everyone read "An American Dream." Phenomenal

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Madeleine L'Engle

Madeleine L'Engle (November 29, 1918 – September 6, 2007)[1] was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time. Her works reflect both her Christian faith and her strong interest in modern science.

A wrinkle in time was, and the following books were so unique to me as a kid.  That totally sucked me into their world and introduced me to ideas that were just so absent from regular themes seen in shows and books and movies.  As an adult I find they still hold up great.  I would still recommend her books to anyone. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:41 AM »
Oh, I was a huge fan of the Wrinkle in Time series when I was a kid.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
Yeah i liked that one. 

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
L.O.C. #20 - Top Authors

David Foster Wallace

Thoughts
I love David Foster Wallace. I love his novels, his short fiction, and his essays as well. The word genius does get thrown around quite a bit, but I truly consider this man to be a genius. The first book of his I read was The Broom of the System and I was pretty blown away at how smart and talented a writer he was. And then along comes Infinite Jest. What a masterpiece. It's so good on so many levels. The multiple parallel and converging narratives, the ninety-eight pages of notes and errata (some of which span several pages), and the incredibly meticulous and at times incredibly dense use of language really forces you to bring your brain to the book. His sense of humor and his ability to project our current commercial-driven culture to ridiculous hypothetical extremes makes you literally laugh out loud. I can remember reading the book in public and just bursting into laughter, not even bothering to look up and see if people were looking because I just wanted to keep reading. It takes an incredible talent to create something so engrossing, intellectually stimulating, hilarious, tragic, and genuine. It's such a shame he's gone. What a huge loss for literature and our culture as a whole.

The Wiki
David Foster Wallace (February 21, 1962 – September 12, 2008) was an American author of novels, essays, and short stories, and a professor at Pomona College in Claremont, California. He was widely known for his 1996 novel Infinite Jest, which Time included in its All-Time 100 Greatest Novels list (covering the period 1923–2006). Los Angeles Times book editor David Ulin called Wallace "one of the most influential and innovative writers of the last 20 years". Wallace's unfinished novel, The Pale King, was published in 2011.

Wallace's first novel, 1987's The Broom of the System, garnered national attention and critical praise. Caryn James of The New York Times called it a successful "manic, human, flawed extravaganza", "emerging straight from the excessive tradition of Stanley Elkin's Franchiser, Thomas Pynchon's V., John Irving's World According to Garp." He had begun work on his second novel, Infinite Jest, in 1991. Wallace published short fiction in Might, GQ, Playboy, The Paris Review, Harper's Magazine, Mid-American Review, Conjunctions, Esquire, Open City, Timothy McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, The New Yorker, and Science.

Wallace committed suicide by hanging himself on September 12, 2008. In an interview with The New York Times, Wallace's father reported that Wallace had suffered from depression for more than 20 years.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cj0JgqOnK2M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cj0JgqOnK2M?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

P.S. The original list was, um, interesting to say the least.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!