Author Topic: House, MD  (Read 45629 times)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
Re: House, MD
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »
The only thing I can think of is to medically accurate, oxycontin is more tightly controlled than Vicodin in real life.  It's a DEA Schedule 2 which they really keep a close eye on.  I guess in that sense, it's more realistic that he'd be addicted to something that's easier to get and reviewed with a lot less scrutiny. . . although even then, there's stuff that's got less Tylenol than regular Vicodin.

It just bothers me because if he really was taking *that* much, he'd likely have problems and if they really want to show him "strung out" and really as an addict, he'd probably be seeking something stronger.  He's got access to morphine, meperidine, etc.  All are tightly controlled but he doesn't really seem to care and he could get it.  He seems to think he's "unstoppable" so I think he'd try and honestly, in a real life hospital, morphine wouldn't be that hard to get (I think he's given himself morphine before).

What I meant about not liking the discussion is that I don't think the discussion was very accurate.  I'd have to rewatch the whole arc to elaborate but I don't think they did any favors to pain management.  It just seemed like they could have explained it medically to the judge because everything House is doing and his escalating doses makes perfect sense, not from an addiction standpoint but from a PAIN standpoint and he's clearly in pain.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:02:05 PM by AmandaGal »
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
The reason he doesnt go stronger i think is because he would disdain it.  I think anything he might possibly despise he refuse.  He is addicted to vicodin, he knows it and is fine with it.  He isnt addicted to something else so isnt fine with that.

It just bothers me because if he really was taking *that* much, he'd likely have problems and if they really want to show him "strung out" and really as an addict, he'd probably be seeking something stronger.  He's got access to morphine, meperidine, etc.  All are tightly controlled but he doesn't really seem to care and he could get it.  He seems to think he's "unstoppable" so I think he'd try and honestly, in a real life hospital, morphine wouldn't be that hard to get (I think he's given himself morphine before).

I hope not, because in my attempt to become a old curmeondgon i have began my own addiction.  i started two months ago and am up to 400 miligrams a day.  you think ill be ok?

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »
Hmm, if you're taking that much morphine I'd except you'd either be too dead to be a curmudgeon or way too happy, depending on what kind  ;)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »
is vicodine morphine?  and me happy? ha! even happy ill be a sarcastic bastard.  ask anyone.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2007, 07:19:51 PM »
Oh, no...I thought you were talking about morphine. Vicodin is 5 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of Tylenol  :)

I'd just except you to be sarcastic with a lot more of a manic style :)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »
sounds promising, so no slowing the treatment for me.

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2007, 07:27:26 AM »
The only thing I can think of is to medically accurate, oxycontin is more tightly controlled than Vicodin in real life.  It's a DEA Schedule 2 which they really keep a close eye on.  I guess in that sense, it's more realistic that he'd be addicted to something that's easier to get and reviewed with a lot less scrutiny. . . although even then, there's stuff that's got less Tylenol than regular Vicodin.

What I meant about not liking the discussion is that I don't think the discussion was very accurate.  I'd have to rewatch the whole arc to elaborate but I don't think they did any favors to pain management.  It just seemed like they could have explained it medically to the judge because everything House is doing and his escalating doses makes perfect sense, not from an addiction standpoint but from a PAIN standpoint and he's clearly in pain.

I guess youre right, its tough. On one hand using anything thing stronger than vicotin would be hard, but using just that would ruin your liver. Like you said he should at least be on something like vicoprophen or something with less tylenol, which you can get. I also agree he is obviously in pain, I was thinking that quite a bit during the trotter thing, there's a fine line between an addict and a patient. I've learned this myself after two back surgeries(in my 20's). When your on vicotin for like a year straight because of the level 10 pain, you start getting bad looks from the pharmacists and such even if you're clearly in pain. Luckily my doctor wasnt an idiot and didnt try to kill my liver. It went 5, 7.5, 10 than perc, than oxy over the course of 10months, till surgery. Mind you I quit right afterwards (slightly sucked). Anyone who knows what I'm talking knows what that meant, for the others, I'm not going into details.

btw yeah Rush limbaugh sp? and all the osbournes are addicted to oxy, kind of nasty stuff imo or at the very least, it should be highly regulated, like it is. Unless your a big fat conservative talk show host, it's not easy to get.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:37:30 AM by Quicksilver »
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
and all the osbournes are addicted to oxy, kind of nasty stuff imo or at the very least, it should be highly regulated, like it is

I find that impoosible to accept

There is no way they are addicted to only that one drug ;)

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
that's very true, that's just the one that they'll admit to....well besides Ozzy admitting he's done just about everything, even things not even considered drugs until he said he got high off them. He's really a pioneer in the field of ingesting substances. Jack looks like he too may make many discoveries. lol
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »
"One small grab form man..." That was great.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
I enjoyed hearing him play the intro to The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like Mondays", then do the hand claps when the savant did it, lol...
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
without causing any spoilers (i havent seen season 2 or 3) is house able to play golf now?

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Was he ever able to?  :D
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »
yeah he makes reference to golf once or twice in just the first season. in fact he was playing golf when the leg pain started. 

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »
I honestly don't remember seeing him ever play or mention golf.  In fact, the only hobbies I've seen House indulge in has been playing piano, guitar, hand-held videogames, watching soaps or monster trucks, and bouncing a ball around.