Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 156324 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5537

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5042
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1649
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: TV News Thread
« Reply #542 on: January 07, 2016, 09:07:17 PM »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #543 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
http://screencrush.com/tales-from-the-crypt-reboot-tnt-m-night-shyamalan/

Wow!  What a twist!

...which is exactly how every Tales from the Crypt episode ends.

Yes, since they're based on the EC comics where the 'twist ending' was pretty much perfected.  ['Course, from what I remember, the TV series wasn't nearly as original in their twists.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #544 on: January 08, 2016, 06:52:35 AM »
http://screencrush.com/tales-from-the-crypt-reboot-tnt-m-night-shyamalan/

Wow!  What a twist!

...which is exactly how every Tales from the Crypt episode ends.

Yes, since they're based on the EC comics where the 'twist ending' was pretty much perfected.  ['Course, from what I remember, the TV series wasn't nearly as original in their twists.]

Actually, most of the episodes were direct adaptations of various EC tales.  I love the EC Comics, but they weren't always the most original either, often taking plots from time-tested or popular stories and doing their own twist on them.  Though in some cases, it's rip-off adjacent.  In fact, one time they basically ripped off a Ray Bradbury story, but Ray was both gracious and clever, basically saying they must have accidentally forgot to credit him and pay him and gave them the opportunity to set it right.  After that, Ray Bradbury adaptations became a selling point (they did a great adaptation of the classic horror story Mars is Heaven.)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5537

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6577
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #546 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:43 PM »
Unfortunately,
http://io9.gizmodo.com/rip-crypt-keeper-the-superstar-that-won-t-return-to-ta-1751824030
And the Shyamalan fuck ups are coming already! Seriously, why would you not include THE most iconic part of the series? I am hoping that maybe this new iteration will have an overall darker tone to it, that maybe he wouldn't fit into as well. But to not include him at all seems extremely foolish.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #547 on: January 08, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
Yeah, he basically sets the series tone.  And serialized story telling doesn't really fit with those extremely short comics.  It's a shame the former is due to HBO owning the character (how did that happen?!?).  Can they use the Vaultkeeper or the Old Witch or are those off limits since they used them in the Saturday morning cartoon?

Hopefully we'll see them again... someday.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #548 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »
Yeah, he basically sets the series tone.  And serialized story telling doesn't really fit with those extremely short comics.  It's a shame the former is due to HBO owning the character (how did that happen?!?). 

The article says that the version of the Crypt Keeper that was on the show was different enough, especially in personality, to the one in the comic that HBO created him for the show.
It's one of those odd rights things that pop up now and then that just makes the businesses look bad. What is HBO going to do with the character outside of a Tales From The Crypt show? If nothing than he isn't making you any new money, just royalties in theme parks and the old show. So why not licence him out for cheap so that he can make you NEW money from the new show? So you can make a little money off of it, but more importantly NOT LOOK LIKE AN ASSHOLE.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #549 on: January 08, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
Then wait, can't they just make their own Cryptkeeper?  I mean, it's a shame they can't do it with John Kassir but if it's just too much damned money it sounds like they should be able to do it their own way.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
Yeah, he basically sets the series tone.  And serialized story telling doesn't really fit with those extremely short comics.  It's a shame the former is due to HBO owning the character (how did that happen?!?).
The article says that the version of the Crypt Keeper that was on the show was different enough, especially in personality, to the one in the comic that HBO created him for the show.
Then wait, can't they just make their own Cryptkeeper?  I mean, it's a shame they can't do it with John Kassir but if it's just too much damned money it sounds like they should be able to do it their own way.

Yeah: if the HBO "version of the Crypt Keeper that was on the show was different enough, especially in personality, to the one in the comic that HBO created him for the show", then all they'd have to do is make the new one IDENTICAL to the one in the comics and problem solved, because if HBO's was 'different enough' to make it a legally distinct copyright entity, then automatically the original would not be violating HBO's copyright.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #551 on: January 09, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
Thats a great legal option, but one most fans aren't going to get behind. Theres a reason the HBO series changed so muchm The show's Cryptkeeper was infinately more interesting and entertaining that the comic's old ugly guy with a bad white haircut.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #552 on: January 09, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #553 on: January 09, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »
Thats a great legal option, but one most fans aren't going to get behind. Theres a reason the HBO series changed so muchm The show's Cryptkeeper was infinately more interesting and entertaining that the comic's old ugly guy with a bad white haircut.
Exactly. I get that they are in a tough spot, I don't envy the creators of a reboot of such a beloved franchise. But if they are smart enough they can solve this. If they're stupid, they'll piss people off. Ok, they'll piss MORE people off than just the ones that would have been pissed off regardless.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #554 on: January 09, 2016, 08:32:37 PM »
So, dumb, irrationally angry people?
Scottotd on Instagram