Author Topic: TV News Thread  (Read 72039 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Johnny Unusual's TV News Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »
In "the things no one cares about ever department" Fred Durst tries to get a sitcom:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/fred-durst-now-has-a-cbs-sitcom,63415/

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
NBC Picks Up Sarah Silverman Comedy To Pilot

EXCLUSIVE: NBC continues its aggressive push this development season with early pilot orders. The latest project to get the green light is the comedy starring Sarah Silverman, which the network landed in August with a hefty put pilot commitment  after a bidding war. The half-hour, from 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV, is a pet project of Imagine principal Ron Howard. Loosely based on Silverman’s life, the untitled single-camera comedy stars the comedian as a woman readjusting to the single life after a decade-long live-in relationship. Silverman wrote with Dan Sterling and Jon Schroeder, who were writer-producers on her self-titled Comedy Central series. Silverman, Sterling and Imagine’s Howard, Brian Grazer and Francie Calfo are executive producing. The order for the Sarah Silverman project follows recent pilot pickups for Beautiful People, a character-driven futuristic drama spec by Michael McDonald and comedies Isabel and Save Me, which are now casting. Additionally, the J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke adventure thriller Revolution and crime drama Blue Tilt have pilot production commitments at the network.

Not sure what to think about this. I've never been a big fan of Silverman, and the fact that this is another NBC sitcom that could potentially vie for the Community slot, kinda makes me want to root against it.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »
Looking forward to this one.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4YlDkCIoIs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V4YlDkCIoIs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
Fox Partnering With Adult Swim Alums to Launch Late-Night Animation Block

The network will kick off the 90-minute line-up on Saturdays, starting Jan. 2013.

The network announced Sunday morning at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that it will launch a late-night 90-minute animation block on Saturdays, starting in Jan. 2013.

"It's something that we've been working on for a while," Fox president of entertainment Kevin Reilly said at the start of his executive session. "We have real estate on our schedule in Saturday night late night that we've not been programming in quite a few seasons."

Reilly pointed to the high bar set by The Simpsons and Family Guy and the quality of projects they've been forced to turn down as prime motivation in launching the new block.

The new unit overseeing the development and production of the alternative animated series will be run by former Adult Swim head Nick Weidenfeld, who serves as EP of Children's Hospital and The Boondocks. Hend Baghdady will also serve as executive in charge of production.

The slate of animated shorts and series will run online and on-air, with four new animated series planned per season with the 2013 launch. The line-up will go head-to-head against NBC's Saturday Night Live, running from 11:00 p.m. to 12:30 am ET/PT.

But Reilly seemed to place just as much focus on the online tie-in.

"This may be the first time a network is building a clear bridge for talent to develop and grow ideas in the digital/alternative arena and organically move them into the mainstream," he said in a press release. These new late-night series will be assets in their own right - but the clear possibility exists for a breakout digital success to graduate to primetime."

I welcome any alternative to SNL.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
Fox Partnering With Adult Swim Alums to Launch Late-Night Animation Block

The network will kick off the 90-minute line-up on Saturdays, starting Jan. 2013.

The network announced Sunday morning at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that it will launch a late-night 90-minute animation block on Saturdays, starting in Jan. 2013.

"It's something that we've been working on for a while," Fox president of entertainment Kevin Reilly said at the start of his executive session. "We have real estate on our schedule in Saturday night late night that we've not been programming in quite a few seasons."

Reilly pointed to the high bar set by The Simpsons and Family Guy and the quality of projects they've been forced to turn down as prime motivation in launching the new block.

The new unit overseeing the development and production of the alternative animated series will be run by former Adult Swim head Nick Weidenfeld, who serves as EP of Children's Hospital and The Boondocks. Hend Baghdady will also serve as executive in charge of production.

The slate of animated shorts and series will run online and on-air, with four new animated series planned per season with the 2013 launch. The line-up will go head-to-head against NBC's Saturday Night Live, running from 11:00 p.m. to 12:30 am ET/PT.

But Reilly seemed to place just as much focus on the online tie-in.

"This may be the first time a network is building a clear bridge for talent to develop and grow ideas in the digital/alternative arena and organically move them into the mainstream," he said in a press release. These new late-night series will be assets in their own right - but the clear possibility exists for a breakout digital success to graduate to primetime."

I welcome any alternative to SNL.

Well whatever they air it has to be better then SNL.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
Ousted 'Walking Dead' Showrunner Frank Darabont Lines Up TNT Drama Pilot

He'll write, direct and exec produce the period project "L.A. Noir," based on the true story of former LAPD chief William Parker's decades-long pursuit of mobster Mickey Cohen.

Based on John Buntin's book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City, which chronicles the battle between former Los Angeles police chief William Parker and mobster/former boxer Mickey Cohen, Darabont will write and direct the pilot as well as executive produce alongside The Social Network producer Michael De Luca and Elliot Webb (Tall Time Tales). Alissa Phillips (Moneyball) will serve as co-executive producer.

"The story of L.A. Noir is inspired by an incredibly dramatic period in the history of Los Angeles," said Michael Wright, executive vp and head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies."This project is a sweeping tale of the battle for the soul of the city that was waged between the forces of the LAPD and the West Coast mob."

The period project is based on the true story of Parker's decades-long pursuit of Cohen and described as a fast-paced crime drama set in Los Angeles during the 1940s and '50s amid a world of movie stars, powerful studio heads, war heroes and a powerful and corrupt police force and criminal network determined to make L.A. its West Coast base.

"Noir is a passion of mine, so I feel blessed to delve into a project that speaks in the hard-boiled vernacular,” Darabont added. "John Buntin’s superb book, though nonfiction, is our touchstone and inspiration for the stories we’ll be telling, weaving fiction throughout the facts, and facts throughout the fiction."

After initial reports that Darabont had stepped down from The Walking Dead, THR revealed that the showrunner -- who shepherded the adaptation of the series based on the comics by Robert Kirkman -- was pushed out over after clashing with the cable network over the show's budget.

Darabont departed the series in July, days after appearing at a San Diego Comic-Con panel to support the show's second season -- which was in mid-production at the time. He was replaced by Glen Mazzara. Walking Dead -- which the cabler owns outright -- has been a breakout hit for the network, shattering basic cable ratings records with its Season 2 premiere in October en route to a third-season pickup.

Cool, although I kinda wish it was AMC instead of TNT. I guess that bridge is burned. Oh well. Nice to see him land somewhere.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »
Rainn Wilson On His Proposed ‘Office’ Spinoff: “Even More Far Out Than ‘Office’”

‘The Office’ Spinoff Starring Rainn Wilson In The Works For Midseason 2013 Launch

While attending the SAG Awards today, The Office co-star Rainn Wilson confirmed my story that he is to star and produce in a spinoff series, which in the works for midseason 2013.  After quipping that spinoffs never work and that a series “with a character a annoying as Dwight” is “the worst idea I have ever heard in my life,” Wilson told E!’s Giuliana Rancic during the network’s live red carpet coverage that, “We’re talking about a Dwight Schrute spinoff that could be really cool.” He didn’t go into details but said that the new show “would have a crazy menagerie of characters… It would be even more far out and weird than The Office.” According to my sources, the spinoff, which will be tested as an episode of The Office this season, will have Dwight (Wilson) living at the Schrute family beet farm and bed & breakfast, which have been featured on the show several times and will include multiple generations of the family, many cousins and neighbors. The project hails from Wilson and The Office showrunner Paul Lieberstein, with original Office executive producers Ben Silverman and Howard Klein also attached.

Hmmm.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Rainn Wilson On His Proposed ‘Office’ Spinoff: “Even More Far Out Than ‘Office’”

‘The Office’ Spinoff Starring Rainn Wilson In The Works For Midseason 2013 Launch

While attending the SAG Awards today, The Office co-star Rainn Wilson confirmed my story that he is to star and produce in a spinoff series, which in the works for midseason 2013.  After quipping that spinoffs never work and that a series “with a character a annoying as Dwight” is “the worst idea I have ever heard in my life,” Wilson told E!’s Giuliana Rancic during the network’s live red carpet coverage that, “We’re talking about a Dwight Schrute spinoff that could be really cool.” He didn’t go into details but said that the new show “would have a crazy menagerie of characters… It would be even more far out and weird than The Office.” According to my sources, the spinoff, which will be tested as an episode of The Office this season, will have Dwight (Wilson) living at the Schrute family beet farm and bed & breakfast, which have been featured on the show several times and will include multiple generations of the family, many cousins and neighbors. The project hails from Wilson and The Office showrunner Paul Lieberstein, with original Office executive producers Ben Silverman and Howard Klein also attached.

Hmmm.

I'd give it a watch as long as Dwight stays basically the same as he is on The Office. 

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

Hmmm.

I'd give it a watch as long as Dwight stays basically the same as he is on The Office. 

I actually think this has a lot of potential. I really like the concept of the beet farm as a bed and breakfast. I'm picturing like a Newhart/Fawlty Towers type of deal, with different guests each week.

NBC Picks Up Eric Kripke/JJ Abrams Drama Pilot ‘Revolution’

What appears the be the final piece in NBC’s drama puzzle this pilot season has fallen in — NBC has given the green light to Eric Kripke/JJ Abrams’ drama Revolution. The project, from Warner Bros. TV, had a massive production commitment with a $2 million penalty attached to it. The pilot order comes after a recent rewrite. Revolution, written by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, is being described as a high-octane action drama following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist. Abrams, Kripke and Bryan Burk are executive producing. This marks the second pilot order this season for Abrams’ Bad Robot, which is also behind the Mark Schwahn-penned Shelter at the CW.

Abrams, bitch!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
NBC Orders 'Hannibal' to Series

The Bryan Fuller drama featuring the characters from Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon" gets a 13-episode pickup

NBC will make room on its schedule for Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

The network has given series orders to Hannibal, a 13-episode drama from Pushing Daisies' Bryan Fuller featuring the classic characters from Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon.

Hannibal, from Gaumont International Television, is described as an hourlong contemporary thriller featuring characters from Harris' best-seller and revolves around FBI agent Will Graham and his mentor, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, who are reintroduced as the beginning of their budding relationship.

The order for 13 episdoes comes as NBC Entertainment president Robert Greenblatt -- a former Showtime topper -- the brings his cable sensibilities to the struggling network as he employs the abbreviated season model typically found on non-broadcast networks. The series order comes as NBC is two weeks into its 15-episode order for Broadway drama Smash.

Fuller will write and executive produce the series, with Martha DeLaurentiis also on board as an EP. The series order comes a week after NBC opted to delay its planned Munsters reboot to the summer, allowing the high-concept proejct more time to find the right fit during the casting process.

I'll give that a shot.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
Review of Gervais' new show. Sounds like it doesn't disappoint.

Life's Too Short: TV Review

With an ex-Ewok and brilliant stunt casting, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant mine the depths of humiliation on HBO's new comedy about an egomaniac dwarf.

Sometimes Ricky Gervais is so busy being controversial as an awards host or comedian or social commentator that the public forgets how great his television series can be.

Obviously, The Office goes into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. And not enough people seem to know how much genius went into Extras, his follow-up collaboration with Stephen Merchant that was co-produced by the BBC and HBO.

Now comes HBO's Life's Too Short and what looks, after three episodes, to be another vein of gold for Gervais and Merchant. The faux documentary series centers on Britain's "go-to dwarf," Warwick Davis (the Harry Potter and Star Wars movies), who's out of work, getting a divorce and owes back taxes.

It doesn't take much of a stretch to see the Gervais/Merchant DNA in Too Short, which borrows from the formula they mastered with Office. The duo excels at wince-inducing comedy, and central to their conceit is someone (think the David Brent character from Office) whose self-importance is wonderfully blind to reality. The more their shortcomings are exposed to the camera, the more resistant they are to believing their lot in life -- and pomposity, lies and misfortune generally follow. As does embarrassment.

Too Short is packed with such moments thanks to spot-on writing and Davis' superb star turn. He willingly puts himself up for abuse (he was an Ewok in the Star Wars films) and, as head of a fictitious "Dwarves for Hire" acting business, is constantly undercutting clients with his own desperation for work.

The show's running gag is that Warwick Davis -- he constantly refers to himself in the third person -- thinks everyone knows who he is, but they never do. In one scene, he takes a camera crew to meet Gervais and Merchant but can't reach the keypad to be buzzed in. He asks someone on the street to do it, and the exchange is priceless: When Davis asserts that he was in Star Wars, he is met with skepticism. "I was an Ewok," he explains. "Those little bears?" says the person. "They're not little bears!" replies Davis.

Too Short already has been renewed in Britain, even though the series didn't reach the ratings numbers of Office (how could it?) or Extras. Gervais might be an even more polarizing figure there for critics than in the States, and some U.K. reviews of Too Short seemed more intent to rip on him than to critique the show. Not unexpectedly, the series became controversial because of its frequent use of "dwarf" instead of "little people" -- though the show makes clear that the real offense is "midget" -- and the ridiculous suggestion that Too Short exploits Davis. As for the claim that he is merely a shorter David Brent, and thus Gervais and Merchant are mining familiar ground, the argument is just lazy. Hypocrisy, self-grandiosity and meanness to others in an attempt to elevate oneself are the stock-in-trade of Gervais and Merchant.

In any case, Too Short has a few other tricks up its sleeve, particularly in the area of stunt casting (which Extras did so brilliantly). Liam Neeson, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Steve Carell and Sting all appear.

Neeson is hilarious as himself, coming to Gervais and Merchant for help because he wants to do comedy (both of the latter men have perfected the sideways glance at the camera to indicate something is a very bad idea or about to go wrong).

Davis is doing great work here -- his timing is impeccable, and his spirit can't be defeated in the face of embarrassment, a key component of the Gervais/Merchant recipe.

Gervais hasn't let the public's divided opinion of him stop him from being funny (though it appeared to tame him during the Golden Globes in January). With Life's Too Short, he again delivers.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »
‘Lost’ Alum Terry O’Quinn’s Next TV Gig: Starring Role In ABC Supernatural Pilot

EXCLUSIVE: One of Lost‘s most popular stars, Terry O’Quinn, is back on the supernatural drama beat and back at ABC with a lead role in the network’s drama pilot 666 Park Avenue. Based on the Alloy book series by Gabriella Pierce, the project centers on a young couple who accept an offer to manage one of the most historic apartment buildings in New York City. Unwittingly, they begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the building. O’Quinn will play Gavin, the building’s owner. Alex Graves is directing the Warner Bros. TV/Alloy Entertainment pilot, written by David Wilcox. O’Quinn is coming off a major arc on CBS’ Hawaii Five-O this season. This marks the second ABC drama pilot Quinn has done since the end of the network’s hit series Lost. Last year, he starred in Marc Cherry’s Hallelujah.

LOCKE!!! Sounds like it might be an interesting show. I've been watching him regularly on Hawaii Five-O, but it'll be cool to see him in a leading role, in something that's not a straight-up cop drama. I never even saw Hallelujah; not sure what happened with that.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Fox Orders Patton Oswalt-Mike Barker Animated Superhero Comedy Presentation

EXCLUSIVE: While Fox’s pilot season is about live-action comedies, the network also is keeping its animated pipeline flowing. Fox has given a presenation order to Working Class Hero, an animated comedy starring actor-comedian Patton Oswalt and co-written and executive produced by American Dad co-creator/executive producer Mike Barker. The project, from 20th Century Fox TV, is set in a world where superheroing is just another low-paid government job and centers on a dad (Oswalt) whose powers are no match for his misfit superhero co-workers and his demanding family.

WME-repped Barker co-wrote Working Class Hero with American Dad animator Brent Woods and the show’s staff writer Jordan Blum, who co-wrote an episode of the animated comedy earlier this season. Woods and Blum, who is with UTA and 3 Arts, serve as co-executive producers. Oswalt, repped by CAA and Generate, will produce. Over the past year, Fox introduced as many new animated comedy series, three, as it did live-action. Of them one, last year’s midseason entry Bob’s Burgers, was renewed for a second season; another, Allen Gregory, has been canceled; and Napoleon Dynamite is doing so-so in the ratings.

Could this be the show? I love Patton and I like Barker, but I ain't getting my hopes up, that's for damn sure. Been down this road too many times.

Nice to hear Allen Gregory died a grim death, and that piece of shit Napoleon Dynamite is only treading water.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
More good news regarding this show:

'Breaking Bad's' Giancarlo Esposito to Star in NBC's J.J. Abrams Drama Pilot 'Revolution'

The one-time AMC villain will play a tough military man with Southern charm in the sci-fi project from "Supernatural" creator Eric Kripke.

Giancarlo Esposito is going from playing a drug lord and Magic Mirror to a military man.

The former Breaking Bad villain and Once Upon a Time recurring guest has been tapped to star in J.J. Abrams' NBC drama pilot Revolution, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Revolving around a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist, Esposito will play Capt. Neville, a tough military man with a genteel Southern manner who may not always be what he seems.

Supernatural creator Eric Kripke will pen the pilot with Abrams and Fringe's Bryan Burk on board to executive produce. Jon Favreau will direct the Warner Bros. Television/Bad Robot Productions project.

Esposito joins the previously cast Tracy Spiradakos, Graham Rogers and Anna Lise Phillips.

The casting marks the latest in what's been a busy year so far for Esposito. In addition to his critically acclaimed -- and Emmy buzzworthy -- role as drug lord Gustavo Fring on Breaking Bad, the actor has been recurring on ABC's fantasy drama Once Upon a Time as the Evil Queen's Magic Mirror and recently booked a guest gig on NBC's cult comedy Community.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »
Holy shit. This looks awesome!

'Veep' Trailer: Let Julia Louis-Dreyfus Be Your Foul-Mouthed Vice President

Well, HBO has another show we're going to have to watch. From Armando Iannucci--the only guy capable of beating Aaron Sorkin in the whip-smart political dialogue 100m--comes Veep, a U.S. off-shoot of the BBC government satire The Thick of It and its prior spin-off, the vastly-underwatched In the Loop. The series stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a newly-elected Vice President working alongside a cast that includes Arrested Development's Tony Hale, Upright Citizens Brigade and Dog Bites Man's Matt Walsh, and My Girl's Anna Chlumsky. To recap: that's three stars of pretty great TV comedies, plus My Girl. If you aren't at least somewhat interested in this, you are wrong, or you saw My Girl 2.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/soJggb_jDL8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/soJggb_jDL8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>