Author Topic: ICWXP - Preview from the Next [Made for TV] Episode!  (Read 31373 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: ICWXP - Preview from the Next [Made for TV] Episode!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
See, this is one of those times I wish I had money to donate or invest, even. I really do hope you find some way to keep it going. Season 2 has been showing a hell of a lot of promise.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Have you guys thought about trying to fund Season 2 through Kickstarter? I'd imagine you could get the word out quite effectively that way.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
Have you guys thought about trying to fund Season 2 through Kickstarter? I'd imagine you could get the word out quite effectively that way.

Great idea.  I know I'd toss in a few dollars.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Rikk Wolf

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
    • Incognito Cinema Warriors XP
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Kickstarter, but I will check it out as soon as our session here is done this evening (we just finished recording our riffs for Episode 202 - Soapy the Germ Fighter, and riff writing passes at the next two episodes after). 

Thank you sincerely and personally for your support guys, it means a lot to me.  I plan to fight tooth and nail to keep it going, but it's going to be rough.

I'm hoping my ace in the hole comes through with some legal course of action.  There is quite a crowd of angry, cheated students rallying online.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
let the hammer of justest slam down upon thee 

WASHINGTON—The Justice Department and four states on Monday sued Education Management Corp., alleging the operator of for-profit colleges falsely certified that it was eligible to participate in federal student loan programs.

The legal complaint came in a false-claims lawsuit that was originally filed by two of the company's former employees.

A federal judge in Pittsburgh, where the company is based, unsealed the lawsuit in May after the Justice Department indicated that it planned to intervene in the case.

The department said the company's compensation system for its admissions personnel violates the federal Higher Education Act because admissions employees are paid based on how many students they recruit. The law prohibits schools from paying admissions officials bonuses, commissions or other incentives based on their success in enrolling students. The provision is designed to discourage schools from enrolling unqualified students and taking advantage of the federal funds they bring.

Bonnie Campbell, legal adviser to Education Management, said in a statement that the lawsuit's claims were "flat-out wrong."

"EDMC's 2003 compensation plan followed the law in both its design and implementation, as EDMC's response to the governments' complaint will show," Ms. Campbell said.

Because Education Management's compensation system doesn't comply with the law, the claims that its schools made for payment under the federal programs were false, the department alleged.

The federal student loan programs provide students with Pell Grants and loans guaranteed by the federal government.

The department said Education Management and students enrolled in its institutions have received more than $11 billion in federal funds since 2003.

The department didn't specify how much money it is seeking. California, Florida, Illinois and Indiana joined the federal government's complaint.

Education Management's schools include the Art Institutes, Argosy University and Brown Mackie College.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904007304576496571258347178.html

The Justice Department sent a powerful message last week when it filed suit against the nation’s second-largest for-profit college company, charging it with fraudulently collecting $11 billion in federal student financial aid from 2003 through June 2011.

The suit against the Education Management Corporation, which enrolls about 150,000 students in more than 100 schools, puts the for-profit sector on notice that the government is at last prepared to move decisively against the unscrupulous conduct that appears to be all too common in the industry.

The Education Management case began in 2007 when two former employees of the company filed a lawsuit charging that the company had knowingly defrauded the government by illegally paying recruiters based on the number of students they enrolled. Federal rules that forbid incentive compensation are supposed to discourage companies from recruiting unqualified students for their federal student aid dollars.

Earlier this year, the Justice Department took the unusual step of saying that it would join the whistle-blower lawsuit, which described a “boiler room” atmosphere in which recruiters sought out poorly prepared students who had no chance of graduating.

The Justice Department’s complaint, filed jointly with California, Florida, Illinois and Indiana, asserts that schools operated by Education Management falsely certified that they were complying with the law to make themselves eligible to receive student aid. The suit was filed under the False Claims Act that provides for triple damages, which could be as much as $33 billion in this case.

The for-profit schools are fighting a new Department of Education rule that will eventually cut off federal education aid to programs whose graduates end up saddled with debt they cannot repay. Having taken a strong stand, the Obama administration must now hold the line against lobbying pressure from this troubled industry that clearly needs more regulation, not less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/opinion/an-industry-in-need-of-accountability.html

EDMC, which is the parent company of The Art Ainstitutes, is being being sued due to an investigation that began in 2008 of their unlawful recruiting practices. Here’s what The Huffington Post is reporting:

“The U.S. Justice Department and four states sued the nation’s second-largest for-profit college corporation on Monday, alleging in a wide-ranging complaint that Education Management Corp. violated federal laws by giving bonuses and raises to college recruiters based entirely on the number of students they enrolled.”

If you have seen any of the 100+ comments on the article about the Pros and Cons of The Art Institute Online, then this probably comes as no surprise.

Numerous students have commented about the “predatory” tactics of recruiters from The Art Institute that have coerced them into getting financial aid and signed up for classes quickly. This investigation reveals why that was the case.

If The Art Institutes do successfully get sued by the government, does that mean that the government and lawyers will benefit from it financially and not the students who were the ones directly affected? How do you feel about all of this?

http://www.aiostudents.com/school/the-art-institute-online/art-institutes-parent-company-edmc-sued-by-government/
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

shodan

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
well angry pissed off students have managed to launch about 65% of the revolutions throughout history and change the face of nations so a finacial institution should be a pushover
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:55:31 PM by shodan »

Offline Rikk Wolf

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
Thanks for posting all that.  Helps get the word out.

I've actually spoken personally to Chris Kirkham of The Huffington Post and some of the lawyers helping the DOP fight EDMC about the pitiful curriculum taught at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. 

It is absolutely fantastic news that the DOP is finally stepping in to at least attempt to bring the criminals at EDMC to justice, but any winnings in the case will enter back into the government's general treasury, which means not a dime will go to the cheated students.   :-\

Basically, EDMC is only in trouble for illegally awarding government money to its recruiters for getting students enrolled.  What happens to those students is of little concern, at least in this case.

At best, it calls the company's already shady character into question, but doesn't do much to directly help students that attended there, some of which I've spoken to are facing homelessness.   

shodan

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
damn.. you know this is one of those times i wish i could just meet the people responsible and just straight out kick their ass. and belive me as a first degree blackbelt id do some damage... hell it wouldnt even accomplish anything probably but it'd cathartic as f*** and theyd get at least a piece of what they deserve.

Offline Rikk Wolf

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
I can't say I wouldn't enjoy seeing that, ha ha.   :clap:

The second best thing you can do is suggest Facebook friends to "like" the group at http://www.facebook.com/aifraud and to pass along that video.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 07:15:41 AM »
Thanks for posting all that.  Helps get the word out.

I've actually spoken personally to Chris Kirkham of The Huffington Post and some of the lawyers helping the DOP fight EDMC about the pitiful curriculum taught at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh.  

It is absolutely fantastic news that the DOP is finally stepping in to at least attempt to bring the criminals at EDMC to justice, but any winnings in the case will enter back into the government's general treasury, which means not a dime will go to the cheated students.   :-\

Basically, EDMC is only in trouble for illegally awarding government money to its recruiters for getting students enrolled.  What happens to those students is of little concern, at least in this case.

At best, it calls the company's already shady character into question, but doesn't do much to directly help students that attended there, some of which I've spoken to are facing homelessness.  

the last thing i heard is  that EDMC could  go  bankrupt.

The current suit against EDMC stands the possibility of bankrupting the company. Worst-case liability for the company exceeds several times EDMC's market capitalization and is at least an order of magnitude greater than the company's TTM earnings. Even a comparatively benign outcome for EDMC could see several years of earnings wiped away in a judgment. As always, the lengthy nature of litigation and the fact that the suit is still in the very earliest stages could force EDMC shorts to wait awhile before they see any gains.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/289038-litigation-risk-makes-education-management-corp-a-sell
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:36:31 AM by The Great Gandolfo »
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
well there is there Kickstarter page

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/icwxp

Has Spain had heroes.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »
Welp, I have to say the most I've see of any episode, unfortunately, is one sample clip that was up on the site.  However, I know what it's liked to be scammed (though not nearly for such a criminally high amount of money), and just looking at the set up you guys have for your show is leaps and bounds above the microphone and voice modulation stuff I use for my own work, so I simply say, point me to where I can donate (or otherwise help out), and I'll do what I can.  Nobody should have to quit working on a dream just because of piece of paper...a very expensive piece of paper.

Other than Facebook liking, though, the Kickstarter page doesn't seem to have a whole lot to click on for visitors...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:41 AM »
$330 is a nice start but........ 4000$ in just 39  days i just don't see it
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:57 AM »
$330 is a nice start but........ 4000$ in just 39  days i just don't see it

What happens is they get $3500 instead?    they get nothing and the funds are returned?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
$430 and counting

and yes i am going to keep track
Has Spain had heroes.