login

Author Topic: What did I learn?  (Read 6229 times)

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 42
  • Dream busted
What did I learn?
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:51 PM »
I learned that, despite the enormous size disadvantage, the flies did surprisingly well against the humans.
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What did I learn?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »
I learned that the chances of finding a cave painting of ancient men fighting a plesiosaur revived by a meteor, and then having the exact same thing happen again in the same place literally minutes later, is not zero as I had previously assumed. 

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
I learned that this movie takes place in an alternate universe where Crater Lake is not surrounded by thousand-foot cliffs in lieu of a shoreline.  Instead, it's a regular old alpine lake in Alabama, which is three hours from Vegas.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:24:18 AM by skenderberg »
I thought I was Dale.

Offline qlopp

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
I learned that the chances of finding a cave painting of ancient men fighting a plesiosaur revived by a meteor, and then having the exact same thing happen again in the same place literally minutes later, is not zero as I had previously assumed. 

All things have a chance greater than zero of happening, but your observation is astute.  I haven't seen this movie yet, though I certainly hope that upon experiencing this inconceivable occurrence, the cracker or crackers say something like "well, if that don't beat all" or "what are the odds?"

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »

All things have a chance greater than zero of happening, but your observation is astute.

Believe it or not, I actually debated with myself whether to write "zero" or "effectively zero". Usually I'm a stickler for that sort of thing, but here I decided "zero" just sounded funnier.

And as long as I'm writing another post...

I learned that William R Stromberg had the same philosophy as the guy who directed Attack of the the Eye Creatures with regards to "night" shooting.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »

All things have a chance greater than zero of happening, but your observation is astute.  I haven't seen this movie yet, though I certainly hope that upon experiencing this inconceivable occurrence, the cracker or crackers say something like "well, if that don't beat all" or "what are the odds?"

No, they don't even mention the high improbability of a meteor hitting the same place twice, or the highly improbable timing of it.  But you can't blame them, by the time they figure out it's a plesiosaur it's near the end of the movie and 6 months later.  By the way, did I miss the "six months later" caption?  I don't remember seeing one and when they talk about the meteor being six months ago I was surprised.

I learned that a meteor can heat up an entire lake, for several months, even though the energy required should have vaporized it before it landed, must be a very very special meteor....

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
I learned that I really enjoyed Kev... whoops, Dame Millicent's Pikapika Earl of Tchotchke's singing. It always brightens up any riff.

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 42
  • Dream busted
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

Unfortunately, crackers do not say anything like that. On the plus side, fully 75% of the movie involves 2 crackers fighting, drinking, or cavorting in some way.
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Offline kjpod

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 4
  • The "It's" man vs. his mortal enemy the "Its" man
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »
I learned that paleontology is a much broader field than most people think.

I learned that a small jug of liquor is more than enough to keep two large men completely wasted for several hours.

I learned that bullet-proof sea monsters have no defense whatsoever against small construction machinery.

I learned that it matters not how greedy, stupid or unpleasant you were in life, the extent to which your passing is mourned is directly proportional to the size of your beard.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »
"There's no time to explain"

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »

I learned Tom Bombadil rents out boats on Crater Lake.  And he still has a feather in his cap.

...And he wears flannel shirts instead of a bright blue jacket.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:53:08 AM by Lemming Howard »
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
I learned that, despite the enormous size disadvantage, the flies did surprisingly well against the humans.

And, at some point during the movie, they scored a third kill.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
There exists a "Hillbilly Baby Elephant Walk" song.

Seriously, that was the worst movie score I have ever heard.   Public domain?

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
I learned that a 1970s monster movie can have a more realistic killer pleasasaur than a 2008 movie can have believable birds..

Offline qlopp

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »

All things have a chance greater than zero of happening, but your observation is astute.

Believe it or not, I actually debated with myself whether to write "zero" or "effectively zero". Usually I'm a stickler for that sort of thing, but here I decided "zero" just sounded funnier.

I was using that point as a way to segue into my silly statement and didn't intend it as a serious criticism.  I'm glad you recognize that some phrases are funnier than others.  Blurt out the word "taint" sometime, perhaps in the middle of a work meeting, and watch the laughs unfold.

And as long as I'm writing another post...

I learned that William R Stromberg had the same philosophy as the guy who directed Attack of the the Eye Creatures with regards to "night" shooting.

Much obliged to you for including "the" twice as was clearly intended at time of that movie's re-release!  The the eye creatures: so awesome, they require two definitive articles!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:38:26 PM by qlopp »