Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102961 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
I'm pretty much a fan of every issue, to the point where I might enjoy the comics more than the actual show, but the ones listed above are definitely some of the best (also great: the micro-issue for Rainbow Dash and the recent Friends Forever ones for Spike/Celestia and the Cutie Mark Crusaders).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:15:44 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Current issue just torpedoed a lot of fanon shippers.  It was great.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Current issue just torpedoed a lot of fanon shippers.  It was great.

Probably because it's one of the combos that skirts the line of being too obvious and too workable for most shippers to begin with.

And you're right, it was great. Love how this arc is turning out, can't wait for more.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I guess I could look up what a "fanon shipper" is but have decided not to.....

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
Reading the synopsis for the finale tomorrow, I am getting annoyed with Meghan McCarthy's total inability to use Celestia and Luna for anything but exposition and/or being defeated/kidnapped.  They got kidnapped in the season premiere, and it looks like it's going to happen again tomorrow.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
Spoiler?

I'm frustrated that the first episodes of this season started a big quest that NONE of the intervening episodes have elaborated on.  Must not be as all-consumingly important as Celestia made it out to be, if no-one is doing anything at all about it, eh? :P
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Spoiler?

I'm frustrated that the first episodes of this season started a big quest that NONE of the intervening episodes have elaborated on.  Must not be as all-consumingly important as Celestia made it out to be, if no-one is doing anything at all about it, eh? :P

I'm guessing (I have to guess because my cable went out and I can't watch the finale yet until we get a replacement box or I download it) that part of the quest has tied into the individual episodes this season where the Mane 6 keep getting tokens corresponding to their elements.  I've been assuming those translate to the keys they need.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Reading the synopsis for the finale tomorrow, I am getting annoyed with Meghan McCarthy's total inability to use Celestia and Luna for anything but exposition and/or being defeated/kidnapped.  They got kidnapped in the season premiere, and it looks like it's going to happen again tomorrow.

The comics thus far have done far more interesting things with the sisters, I've noticed.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Spoiler?

I'm guessing (I have to guess because my cable went out and I can't watch the finale yet until we get a replacement box or I download it) that part of the quest has tied into the individual episodes this season where the Mane 6 keep getting tokens corresponding to their elements.  I've been assuming those translate to the keys they need.

Turns out Hubnetwork.com has the entire season, finale included, on the website for the week, so I get to see it today after all.  Woo.  Just watched part 1 and...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Turns out Hubnetwork.com has the entire season, finale included, on the website for the week, so I get to see it today after all.  Woo.

I could only find the last 3 full episodes on there today, since I was about 6 behind I had to look elsewhere for the other 3.

All caught up now, nice finale.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

;D

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
Finale was good.  I still think Meghan has problems with these two parters...

The whole thing with Celestia thinking Tirek didn't know about Twilight. 

1.  He's been out since middle of season 2.

2.  You just finished talking about how Discord betrayed you.

In Meghan's continuing efforts to make sure only Twilight gets to do anything the story suffers.  Powering up Twilight did result in a nice fight scene, but how much better would it have been if the three Princesses fought Tirek to buy Twilight time to open the chest?  Besides the Princesses, what if the fight had happened after the chest was opened, and the other 5 were part of the last fight beyond just being present to be the fuses in the Twilight beam.

I think she's too focused on Twilight that the other characters suffer.  Celestia and Luna have been captured in 3/4 of her two part episodes, and were just quickly written out of that other one via expostulation.  In two of her two part episodes, the other 5 are relegated to party planning and play no role in the overreaching story.  I miss the ensemble adventures. 

She falls back on these lazy tropes enough that I hope she assigns someone else to the opening and ending in S5.

Besides the opening and ending though, I thought this was a pretty darn good season.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:17:18 PM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

I think it worked out, since as much as I love the whole cast and the ensemble episodes that go with them, there are times when the show needs to break down and really get into how Twilight is the true main character. All the major arcs concern her, all the big changes concern her, and she's basically the one who's had the most growth (forced or otherwise) over the course of the show. So as long as they stick to that for the finale like this, then I think it's good. The group adventures (which led to this moment and were still well referenced) will be back in action for the majority of next season anyway, as they are every season, so we're basically getting the best of both worlds.

Overall, I did like the finale. The fights actually had some heft behind them, and I'm the sort who's felt that every other instance of fighting in this show has been little more than filler. And even though it's still walking that fine line between keeping the status quo and actually changing things up, the changes should prove to be very interesting down the road. Of course, overall I'd still place the episode somewhere in the middle were I to rank the season, and the Season 3 finale remains my favorite (that one kept the scale at just the right level to be really effective, and I'm a sucker for musical episodes), but this one still brought the goods.

So, a good cap to a great season. Here's to more. In the meantime, time for the long break, wherein I will try to actually get back into writing fic again.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Several times during the big fight I flashed back to Avatar, it had many elements (hehehe) of the final battle between Aang and Ozai.

It does have me thinking it might have been a bit too epic in scope, hope they don't try to go "bigger" in the future and try to top that, I think that fight should be about the limit of what we should see from the ponies...

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Several times during the big fight I flashed back to Avatar, it had many elements (hehehe) of the final battle between Aang and Ozai.

It does have me thinking it might have been a bit too epic in scope, hope they don't try to go "bigger" in the future and try to top that, I think that fight should be about the limit of what we should see from the ponies...

Honestly, this finale should've been properly padded out and just made into a movie. It had all the right elements for one, and this show is seriously overdue for one (a *real* one), much like all the other series that have gotten one.

And yes, much as I liked it all (as stated above), time to get things back to Slice of Life. Equestria's very existence doesn't need to be threatened every few months, after all.