login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 102701 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
If you want to get technical, Derpy's condition is closer to Strabismus, though she started out as either a technical goof or something the animator snuck in, depending on who you hear it from.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Well, even if you go back to episode 1, the element of magic always had Twilight's cutie mark, even in the book when Celestia was using it.

Had to go back and look, the gems in the opening sequence (book) were all the same standard looking rectangular gems, but the tiara Celestia was wearing in the picture where she is fighting nightmare moon did have a star on top (with the gem below).  In the series the tiara Celestia wears is the same but without the gold star on top.   

But yeah, Twilight's element was always a tiara, unlike the others.  There have been plenty of clues all along pointing to Twilight becoming equivalent to Celestia and Luna (her name being one).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Well, even if you go back to episode 1, the element of magic always had Twilight's cutie mark, even in the book when Celestia was using it.

Had to go back and look, the gems in the opening sequence (book) were all the same standard looking rectangular gems, but the tiara Celestia was wearing in the picture where she is fighting nightmare moon did have a star on top (with the gem below).  In the series the tiara Celestia wears is the same but without the gold star on top.   

But yeah, Twilight's element was always a tiara, unlike the others.  There have been plenty of clues all along pointing to Twilight becoming equivalent to Celestia and Luna (her name being one).

Like I hinted at a few pages ago after the season premier, Twilight seems to be the bridge between the two sides the sisters represent.  Her name putting her between night and day does seem like it was intentional foreshadowing (or at least new BSG-style that makes sense now foreshadowing)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
So did you hear about Mane 6 / Fighting is Magic? They were developing the game (and it looked awesome—tons of polish and really in-depth balancing), and Hasbro served them a Cease and Desist. Then, Lauren Faust joins the dev team and they're working on new characters and settings so they can actually finish the game. (And of course, everyone's hoping for a way to reskin the characters to make it ponies again, but either way, the game looked awesome)

Offline Pyramid Head

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
So did you hear about Mane 6 / Fighting is Magic? They were developing the game (and it looked awesome—tons of polish and really in-depth balancing), and Hasbro served them a Cease and Desist. Then, Lauren Faust joins the dev team and they're working on new characters and settings so they can actually finish the game. (And of course, everyone's hoping for a way to reskin the characters to make it ponies again, but either way, the game looked awesome)

I actually did hear about Hasbro serving a cease and desist to a lot of fan projects, though i didn't hear about Faust working against them.  I'm not sure how to react to that one, Hasbro has largely been alienating the bronies in favor of focusing the show purely on the kid demographic from what i can tell, and while that's fine in theory since trying to appeal to everyone just spreads your product too thinly, i often wonder if at this stage the bronies are a larger and more valuable audience than the kids and if Hasbro should spring for better writers and just go ahead and let the studio add a few more mature elements for the viewers with double or even triple digit IQs.

But then again, i'll always be opposed to Hasbro after they killed the original X-Com franchise.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.

I actually did hear about Hasbro serving a cease and desist to a lot of fan projects, though i didn't hear about Faust working against them.  I'm not sure how to react to that one, Hasbro has largely been alienating the bronies in favor of focusing the show purely on the kid demographic from what i can tell, and while that's fine in theory since trying to appeal to everyone just spreads your product too thinly, i often wonder if at this stage the bronies are a larger and more valuable audience than the kids and if Hasbro should spring for better writers and just go ahead and let the studio add a few more mature elements for the viewers with double or even triple digit IQs.

But then again, i'll always be opposed to Hasbro after they killed the original X-Com franchise.

Hasbro's been walking a weird line when it comes to getting stuff out to the Bronies. The main market share still is, of course, young girls, and that'll still be the focus of most of their products. But it's not like they've been leaving us high and dry here.There's plenty of toys (the big Dr. Whooves and Vinyl Scratch figures especially) that are pretty much Brony-centric, the comic series definitely has an older reader base in mind, and then there's all those WeLoveFine (official) t-shirts.

Also, the usual line when it comes to them sending cease and desist letters to cool fan projects is because they have to. US Copyright/Trademark law is a strange, generally fickle and unforgiving beast. In a case like Fighting is Magic, it was the sad fact of them needing to act on their copyright, or else they risk losing it (this is something that gets brought up a few times in every single ED thread on the matter, and usually explained way better than I can).

Offline Pyramid Head

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2

Hasbro's been walking a weird line when it comes to getting stuff out to the Bronies. The main market share still is, of course, young girls, and that'll still be the focus of most of their products. But it's not like they've been leaving us high and dry here.There's plenty of toys (the big Dr. Whooves and Vinyl Scratch figures especially) that are pretty much Brony-centric, the comic series definitely has an older reader base in mind, and then there's all those WeLoveFine (official) t-shirts.

Also, the usual line when it comes to them sending cease and desist letters to cool fan projects is because they have to. US Copyright/Trademark law is a strange, generally fickle and unforgiving beast. In a case like Fighting is Magic, it was the sad fact of them needing to act on their copyright, or else they risk losing it (this is something that gets brought up a few times in every single ED thread on the matter, and usually explained way better than I can).

No, it's not a copyright issue but a trademark issue.  The DMCA actually would have protected some of the items they served Cease and Desists to on copyright grounds but apparently trademark is a different kettle of fish.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
but apparently trademark is a different kettle of fish.

Completely different, copyright is automatic, even if you don't defend it, it belongs to you forever.  A trademark you have to register it, renew it every few years, and actively defend it if you want to keep it.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

but apparently trademark is a different kettle of fish.

Completely different, copyright is automatic, even if you don't defend it, it belongs to you forever.  A trademark you have to register it, renew it every few years, and actively defend it if you want to keep it.

Yeah, that's the one. Like I said, it's all confusing (and I should know better, seeing as I'm a gopher at a patent law firm :P).

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
Actually, Lauren was in support of the game before it got the cease and desist.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

But she wasn't actually working with them.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight

But she wasn't actually working with them.
I know.  It was more in response to Pyramid Head's wording.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Volume 4 of the comics prove that Celestia is the best princess ever. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

Grabbed Volume 4 yesterday. Loved it. Solid ending to the story, still with lots of laughs, "awws", and references (that page where they open all the doors is a goldmine to me. Everything from The Shining to It to Evil Dead II to Temple of Doom. Love love love it). Can't wait for the next series. Ditto the micro series, even if Twilight's issue was considerably more "Pretty good, but not great".

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Latest comic had some photoshop gold.