login

Author Topic: That One Little Girl's 'Pony' Cartoon that's Slowly Devouring the Internet  (Read 103008 times)

Offline Bastard Poetry

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 24
  • How art thou, gangster?
    • The Muse of Oblivion
It also doesn't help that "Luna Eclipsed" is totally eclipsed by "Lunar Slander." (As almost always happens when comparing Friendship is Magic to Friendship is Witchcraft).

You, sir, have led me down a path of uproarious mirth and/or merriment!
Good night, and may sweet dreams knock you down and beat the ever-loving hell out of you.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
It also doesn't help that "Luna Eclipsed" is totally eclipsed by "Lunar Slander." (As almost always happens when comparing Friendship is Magic to Friendship is Witchcraft).

You, sir, have led me down a path of uproarious mirth and/or merriment!

Take us home, Gypsy Pinkie:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8McbJ75MU4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E8McbJ75MU4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Bill turns traitor:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185

Offline Bastard Poetry

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 24
  • How art thou, gangster?
    • The Muse of Oblivion
Kristian Nairn is simultaneously Hodor, Dave ! Yognaught, Irish, AND a brony !?!?

He's about as cool as they get, I'd say.
Good night, and may sweet dreams knock you down and beat the ever-loving hell out of you.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Crap, I like that shirt...

....And bought.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:38:11 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
OK, I watched the first two episodes.  Good show.  Beautiful animation, cute...

But I still don't get why people are so obsessed with it.  I was a little kid in the 80s, I played with the original My Little Pony.  Had a bunch of them, including the Waterfall, the Ballet school, and much more.  I loved my ponies, still have them.

It really befuddles my mind
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Invader_quirk

You'd really just have to watch more to understand. There's a lot the show has to offer that either isn't on display in the first two-parter, or isn't well-represented. Of course, the show just might not appeal to you as it does to hardcore bronies.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

It actually is a rather interesting question, really, and one that doesn't have the most satisfying answer. It isn't that this is the best cartoon currently airing (I honestly don't believe it is), or even the one with the largest fanbase (I think that, at the end of the day, something like Adventure Time has a much larger group of fans). The Pony fanbase is just a remarkably vocal, obsessive one, and also one that spends a great deal of its time pumping out an absurd amount of art, music, and general whatnot in relation to the show. It's a lightning-in-a-bottle fan movement, and I really can't explain how it got to where it is so fast and so noticeably.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
OK, I watched the first two episodes.  Good show.  Beautiful animation, cute...

But I still don't get why people are so obsessed with it.  I was a little kid in the 80s, I played with the original My Little Pony.  Had a bunch of them, including the Waterfall, the Ballet school, and much more.  I loved my ponies, still have them.

It really befuddles my mind

Yeah, I said the same thing:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=21067.msg710233#msg710233

Watch 4 or 5 more, if you get past Boastbusters and Dragonshy and still don't want to watch more then I'd say it's not for you.

It actually is a rather interesting question, really, and one that doesn't have the most satisfying answer. It isn't that this is the best cartoon currently airing (I honestly don't believe it is), or even the one with the largest fanbase (I think that, at the end of the day, something like Adventure Time has a much larger group of fans). The Pony fanbase is just a remarkably vocal, obsessive one, and also one that spends a great deal of its time pumping out an absurd amount of art, music, and general whatnot in relation to the show. It's a lightning-in-a-bottle fan movement, and I really can't explain how it got to where it is so fast and so noticeably.

I don't get the obsession thing either, I know I just posted about buying that tee but that was because I liked the design, not because it had anything to do with the show.  But that could be said about any show, why people get obsessed with them is pretty random, and with the internet those people can feed off each others obsession very easily.

Oh, and I'd say the best animated show currently on (well, between seasons at the moment) would be Legend Of Korra.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
I would also guess that it has to do with the novelty. Think about it, they are making a TV show for little girls, about ponies, and yet it's not the insipid dreck that TV aimed at that group implies. Rather it's (apparently) clever, smart and does interesting things with it's premis. I think had it been aimed at a different audience (and not about ponies) the better writing, character developemnent and conflicts would have been taken much more for granted.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
I would also guess that it has to do with the novelty. Think about it, they are making a TV show for little girls, about ponies, and yet it's not the insipid dreck that TV aimed at that group implies. Rather it's (apparently) clever, smart and does interesting things with it's premis. I think had it been aimed at a different audience (and not about ponies) the better writing, character developemnent and conflicts would have been taken much more for granted.

I think you may have nailed it there. Really even if you hear about it, the fact that it's good still hits you as a surprise because of the source.

It really is smart though, and it doesn't talk down to kids. I was really impressed with the episode with the griffin I just saw (title escapes me at the moment). Most kids shows that involve pranks would end with the message that pranks are bad, don't do them. This one had a theme of pranks can be fun, make them harmless and dont be mean with them.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Relaxing Dragon

The novelty thing might work for folks who like it in an ironic sense, but there are far, far more fans who sincerely love the show for what it is, regardless of content. I mean, Powerpuff Girls was super popular, and I don't recall it ever being considered unusual to like that sort of show (I admit the target audience of that cartoon was much more broad than MLP, but the basic idea of the show still works for my analogy).

Invader_quirk

Part of it is that, as strange as this may seem, the ideals of the show have changed a lot of peoples' lives. I've heard many stories of cynical people who had lost hope in humanity finding the show and being instilled with new optimism.

I mean, Powerpuff Girls was super popular, and I don't recall it ever being considered unusual to like that sort of show (I admit the target audience of that cartoon was much more broad than MLP, but the basic idea of the show still works for my analogy).

I was teased for liking Powerpuff Girls. I don't know if it was as common, but it definitely happened to me.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks

That's more than novel. Any time a show rises above the mediocrity associated with its genre, it's awesome. Really, anything done well is good, and people will appreciate it, regardless of content, genre, audience, etc. I think we're in an era where people care more about who's making a show, and it's clear that Friendship is Magic is being produced by some awesome people who take pride in what they're doing.

Also, "premise" has an e at the end. I wasn't going to say anything until you did it five times, but that number has now been reached.